Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,199)

Showing posts 103,961 - 103,980 of127,944
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
country

Cave City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Religion and politics never-ending arguments

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because they don't name Him as Jesus doesn't mean they didn't foretell exactly what He would do and go through. He fulfilled the prophesies from the OT. Please try to prove me wrong. I invite the attempt.
Yes I am correcting you, because you are wrong. I'm not doing so to be malicious, just setting the record straight.
Back to Mark, you don't even have to read far to see Jesus calm a storm with a wave of His hand. Is this not a miracle to you?
To address Mark first, yes I am wrong. My comments about Mark were made with question marks or uncertainty because it had been a while since I read it. The main point I wanted to make was that the gospels seem to ratchet up the level of magic as you go along, regarding the divine nature of Jesus. Plus there's just a ton of interesting textual criticism of the synoptic gospels regarding the fact that they do not agree with each other on key points (particularly related to the events after the crucifixion).

There are LOTS of reasons to be skeptical of the Bible's claims. One of them is why on earth no documents outside the Bible mention all these crazy magic spells being cast left and right by this hippie? And the Romans, who according to Christians were extremely put out by Jesus, don't bother to mention him in their records.

Now, about the Hebrew Bible,*you* are quite wrong. And the onus is not on me, but on you. If you claim that the OT predicts Jesus you're going to have to supply a ton of evidence. First of all, predicting the future is not possible so you have to present some pretty god-damned compelling evidence. Second, the book never mentions Jesus. And yes, we're going to need a name. Earlier in this thread I showed how you could predict Michael Jackson from the Bible. It is not hard to predict Jesus.

You can get almost anything you want out of thousands of verses written in archaic languages. If you give me "And lo shall there be a lamb to the slaughter" it will still not prove your assertion. You see what you want to see, I see what the evidence shows me.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

BigWorldSmallmindeness wrote:
<quoted text>
Some would like to escalate being some what self defensively prepared, as being some sort of "criminal element act" as well, believe it or not.
Of course, they've probably never had to walk the walk of having to do so, just to survive.
Yeah, its your right to protect yourself. No doubt. But I would argue that using a gun to do it is not a good idea because bullets tend to kill people. You can't come back from killing a person or getting killed.

You can come back from pepper spray or tazing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Until the day comes when your kids are on a milk carton and your just another helpless victim crying on Nancy Grace ....
Alrighty then. I'll keep that in mind, Magnum PI.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
YIAGIO, the foundation for your argument is based on 3 FALSE STATEMENTS.
you claimed that THE GOSPEL OF Mark made no reference to JESUS being the son of GOD...
You were wrong
YOU CLAIM Mark made no reference to miracles or the resurrection
YOU ARE WRONG.
So,from that false foundation,your innane rantings lead you to conclude that the history of Jesus is a legend.
Your false statements failed to provide the evidence required to corroborate your inane rantings.
Yes, I was wrong about Mark. It does contain miracles and Jesus is said to have risen near the end. I was remembering it wrong.

But no, that is not why I dismiss Jesus as a divine figure. There are lots of other reasons such as the fact that divine figures don't exist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

treebeard wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, man. I just got a little confused on your stance is all (not too hard for me sometimes). It seems we view it similarly. I am a woman (not that it matters), small, and I keep a gun in the glovebox, and I will carry it with me when I'm hiking and such. Mostly, I just have a huge fear of very bad people, I'm not afraid to admit it. Politically, I feel things should be stricter on gun possession. But regardless how you got it (registered or illegal), I think once a person owns a gun, they must then take on the responsibility of that weapon. I own several, and I understand well that if one were to ever take another's life, then that's on me. But I don't feel every gun owner sees it this way, and those are the people who should NOT have a gun. Just my quick (and terribly rough, ill-prepared) thoughts on the matter :)
Yeah, that's the thing. I'm kinda harsh on people who pack guns around. My dad used to carry a little .22 in his pocket all the time. Always bugged me.

My beef is with these Tea Party types who just love to tote weapons everywhere and make claims that it reduces crime. But it doesn't reduce crime. And there are plenty of examples of people being shot accidentally, especially kids. So I am dubious of anyone who claims that carrying a gun or keeping lots of guns makes things safer.

But I do understand why some people keep a gun, as you point out. I've had loved ones attacked and I'm sure if they had a gun in their hands they might have felt a bit safer. Maybe. Then again, what if that gun is taken away by an attacker?

In most cases a mugger isn't going to check to see if you have a gun before mugging you. They are just going for the opportunity to snatch a purse or a wallet. I was attacked by two guys who were just after whatever money I was carrying. They didn't get it, and I got away from them. But some of my friends were punched or kicked and their wallets stolen.

I can't imagine the fallout if they had been packing a gun. You can't take back a bullet.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You trivialize the trip to the store to buy milk, but do you realize that these life or death situations do not likely only happen on the day you go somewhere different that doesn't have a good reputation? These things can happen at any time and at almost any place. Seriously, who leaves the house thinking today is the day I'm going to get mugged so I'll carry my defense weapon today?
So I can't really blame people that choose to be cautious and carry a weapon that could save their lives so long as they do so legally.
Hey, if packing heat makes you feel better then that's up to you and your local laws. I don't really care. I just tend to be suspicious of people who I know are carrying a loaded gun in the grocery store, that's all.

I keep away from them.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So is pushing for an agenda of less science books in the science classroom harmless in your opinion? I do not see it as harmless.
Now are you going to address this point or are you going to keep diverting to only addressing the extremes? The extremes I pointed out were only given to show definitively how religion can lead to bad.
True science does NOT disprove God...
Only Evilution tries to say God does not exist, and
You call it science...
God is real... I KNOW He is!
Get used to it!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
I bet...
You're not scared of Christian leadership in America!
:-)
God Bless you!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

In case you missed this...

You won't recognize me. My name was Antonio West and I was the 13-month old child who was shot at point blank range by two teens who were attempting to rob my mother, who was also shot. A Grand Jury of my mommy's peers from Brunswick GA determined the teens who murdered me will not face the death penalty...too bad I was given a death sentence for being innocent and defenseless.

My family made the mistake of being white in a 73% non-white neighborhood, but my murder was not ruled a Hate Crime. Nor did President Obama take so much as a single moment to acknowledge my murder.

I am one of the youngest murder victims in our Nation's history, but the media doesn't care to cover the story of my tragic demise, President Obama has no children who could possibly look like me - so he doesn't care and the media doesn't care because my story is not interesting enough to bring them ratings so they can sell commercial time slots.

There is not a white equivalent of Al Sharpton because if there was he would be declared racist, so there is no one rushing to Brunswick GA to demand justice for me. There is no White Panther party to put a bounty on the lives of those who murdered me. I have no voice, I have no representation and unlike those who shot me in the face while I sat innocently in my stroller - I no longer have my life.

So while you are seeking justice for Trayvon, please remember to seek justice for me too. Tell your friends about me, tell you families, get tee shirts with my face on them and make the world pay attention, just like you did for Trayvon.

Thank you.
You see....
This Trayvon this was like the anti-muslim video...
A Cover up for a Failed Evil POTUS!
We'll never forget
Benghazi,
IRS,
NSA (although... If it saves lives, I have nothing to hide)
Fast n furious,
List goes on, n on!
Obama is the divider n chief, AND
everyone that still thinks he's swell...
Buy a Clue!
YoucancallmePepp er

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, its your right to protect yourself. No doubt. But I would argue that using a gun to do it is not a good idea because bullets tend to kill people. You can't come back from killing a person or getting killed.
You can come back from pepper spray or tazing.
Yup.

Violence is for dark age thugs.

However, if thugs insist on acting like thugs, people have a right to protect/defend themselves.
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I was wrong about Mark. It does contain miracles and Jesus is said to have risen near the end. I was remembering it wrong.
But no, that is not why I dismiss Jesus as a divine figure. There are lots of other reasons such as the fact that divine figures don't exist.
All that tangible "figurehead" stuff is almost irrelevent in the whole big picture of life on earth as we know per say anyway.

Due to the FACT, that Words of divine WISDOM exist (in many other books as well) for those who chose to be open minded, enlightened enough, and possess intelligence enough to LEARN from them anyway.

Who would want to "worship" anything that encompassed the MENTALity level of mindlessly bleeting on about and slobbering over anything at a velveteenage posterlicker level, when they can read, think, AND form their OWN opinions for themselves!!!!!!!!!!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you just missed the point completely.
It does not matter to me that Jesus Himself did not write a book that we have today. I believe the scriptures are true, though not inerrant. I believe in prophets and apostles that are appointed by God to communicate His messages to us. I believe in the Holy Ghost and have learned to identify His guidance.
You struggle to believe Jesus even existed, so when I say "Jesus said", you automatically place doubt in the remainder of the sentence. I do not think this way because I have received an undeniable personal witness that Jesus not only existed, but is the most important figure in all of human history, as well as human future.
You would like to present the words of the NT as verbatim, yet what are the chances that an attendee of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speech on August 28, 1963 would be able to recite it from memory?
Can you recite from memory a spiritually inspired sermon you might have preached or heard just 2 years ago?

I have no issue with the notion that Jesus is an important figure in history, that he existed or that he said things that perturbed the temple apple carts.
I have an issue with the notion that the Bible is divinely accurate and I have an issue with those who make erroneous statements to support that claim. That is NOT a point I missed. When you say things like George Washington didn't write anything I automatically place doubt on the veracity of your "undeniable personal witness."
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Do you believe religion is a pyramid scheme?

According to the Urban Dictionary

1. A bad idea.

2. An over simplification of a complicated idea to rationalize away the unknown so that the general public can sleep at night believing that by attending religious services they are on the way to salvation.

3. Subtle attempts at brainwashing for a.... "good" cause.
4. The lack of desiring real answers about life and thusly settling for what is popularly accepted.

1. Organized religion is about as smart as eating bleach.

2. Organized religion is like having "Advanced Calculus For Dummies."

3. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but any group trying to convince me to giving money to them along with believing crackers are God will get me into heaven, isn't all too far from brainwashing, regardless of motives.

4. I'm lazy so I am a fervent believer in organized religion.

I think this list could be longer.

http://www.thelangreport.com/religion-or-lack...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>Do you really not see something wrong with this statement?

True = Consistent with fact or reality; not false or erroneous.
Inerrent = Incapable of erring; infallible. Containing no errors.

So, you are saying that you believe scriptures are true...but they aren't.
You are some kind of weird.
I believe at one time they were completely accurate. I believe that through different people's interpretations and translations (along with Satan's influence) that scriptures have become less perfect. I do not think that the intention of the scriptures was to leave things so open to interpretation that there could be this many denominations coming from the same source.
Also, judging from the way Christ taught, we are supposed to rely on the Holy Ghost for our understanding. Those that wanted to learn more, and had full intentions to follow His teachings no matter what they were, are the ones that had "ears to hear".

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe at one time they were completely accurate. I believe that through different people's interpretations and translations (along with Satan's influence) that scriptures have become less perfect.
So Yahweh was sloppy when it came to translators for "his" book or just didn't see the mistakes coming?

What happened to "omniscient?" Oh wait, are you the one that doesn't believe in an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipreset deity?

I get the impression that your "god" is like Superman... really powerful and all that but with the same flaws as humans.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
At least I know how the differece between "whole" and "hole."
<quoted text>
Try not to appear any more foolish than you usually do.
I post only as aWitchintheWoods.
It bothers you to think there are so many educated, intelligent, well-spoken atheists. You would rather pretend we are all posting under multiple names. But you are wrong, as usual.
Anyone with half a brain would notice the distinct personalities represented.
Let me see if I got this whole business wright.
A hole lot of people believe atheists have a whole in their heads.
LOL..Before you point it out,,I spelled LOL backwards...LOL
These many educated,intelligent Atheists you allude to,Where can they be found?
Comments posted by Atheists on this website;
John the Baptist taught Jesus....Wrong
Mark makes no mention of Jesus being the son of God,his resurection or any miracles......Wrong,,he has now admitted to being wrong.
Atheist claims to have evidence that the Bible predicted the coming of Michael Jackson.
Atheist claims that swallowing water melon seeds will not cause vines to grow out of you butt"That is more than I needede to know about watermelons" LOL,,I spelled LOL backwards again LOL
Atheist believes one should always be armed due to muggers who may break into your home,take your goods and RAPE your cat.
Since that item was posted,KITTEN KODDER has not been heard from
I dunno.
i have seen a lot of ignorant opinions posted...
May be these opinions are originating from Atheist wannabes.
Could be we should disregard the hole thing or,possibly I just shot your argument full of wholes HEH,HEH HEH...
I know what you gonna say...I spelled HEH backwards LOL
Oh,those mental games....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>To address Mark first, yes I am wrong. My comments about Mark were made with question marks or uncertainty because it had been a while since I read it. The main point I wanted to make was that the gospels seem to ratchet up the level of magic as you go along, regarding the divine nature of Jesus. Plus there's just a ton of interesting textual criticism of the synoptic gospels regarding the fact that they do not agree with each other on key points (particularly related to the events after the crucifixion).

There are LOTS of reasons to be skeptical of the Bible's claims. One of them is why on earth no documents outside the Bible mention all these crazy magic spells being cast left and right by this hippie? And the Romans, who according to Christians were extremely put out by Jesus, don't bother to mention him in their records.

Now, about the Hebrew Bible,*you* are quite wrong. And the onus is not on me, but on you. If you claim that the OT predicts Jesus you're going to have to supply a ton of evidence. First of all, predicting the future is not possible so you have to present some pretty god-damned compelling evidence. Second, the book never mentions Jesus. And yes, we're going to need a name. Earlier in this thread I showed how you could predict Michael Jackson from the Bible. It is not hard to predict Jesus.

You can get almost anything you want out of thousands of verses written in archaic languages. If you give me "And lo shall there be a lamb to the slaughter" it will still not prove your assertion. You see what you want to see, I see what the evidence shows me.
Jesus is Jehovah, the God of the Old Testament. Now if you go back and read the Bible you will see these references to Jesus all over.

One example: do you understand the significance of "I Am"?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
So Yahweh was sloppy when it came to translators for "his" book or just didn't see the mistakes coming?
What happened to "omniscient?" Oh wait, are you the one that doesn't believe in an omniscient, omnipotent, omnipreset deity?
I get the impression that your "god" is like Superman... really powerful and all that but with the same flaws as humans.
Of course. He was created in our image, after all.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I was wrong about Mark. It does contain miracles and Jesus is said to have risen near the end. I was remembering it wrong.

So we are right back to what started your lame defense. You are calling Jesus a fraud, but for some reason don't like us to point it out that you are saying this. I really don't care if you think this or not, but man up to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 103,961 - 103,980 of127,944
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

51 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min Calvin_Coolish 144,847
Richard and Sarah hicks 1 hr Family 21
Richard hicks and Becky Abner 1 hr Who cares 2
Barbie Carpenter 2 hr really 6
Going to be rich in a day or two.. 3 hr Truthful 3
Who wrecked out route 6 4 hr Stick 3
Hobby Lobby ruling!! 6 hr bam 12
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 6 hr Fillus 382
KC Basketball Coach 8 hr Whatever 54
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating