Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,198)

Showing posts 103,941 - 103,960 of127,992
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
You ARE a cartoon.
No surprise coming from you!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

CivilLawandEthics wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh but that would mean a nation having to look at crime REALISTICALLY, rather than racially and politically twisted and baited by LOSERS, that could even begin to "overlook" such a vile, heinous of such contempt!
(and can you believe some WHACKed out nutjob even clicked a negative judge it on that post-disgusting, warped in the head vermon!)
I know... Right!
Darkness hates the Light, as it shows just how depraved they really are!
The Bible is so True, and Every issue we face!
God Bless :-)
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you cannot articulate a rebuttal?
No, I can... I just want you guys to figure it out on your own, as telling you seems to inspire increasingly ignorant comments... much like yours!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you cannot articulate a rebuttal?
I know what the bible demands.....non belief-off with your head!
Thank goodness secular men no longer allow Deuteronomy to be enforced.
Why? Because Deuteronomy demands immoral acts.
Now why would I follow a book that demands immoral acts?
Can you or any Christian here answer this or are you all going to divert and run to the denial cave?
I get that you do not follow Islam due to its immoral demands, but why do you have a double standard for your bible?
Tard!
Hold that thought!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The universe has not told us where it came from either, so why insist your beliefs must be true when you cannot show?
I'm STILL here!
God saved me!
You believe in the show Ghost hunters, UFOs, things like that, but
you cannot believe NDE's, and People that tell you God saved them?
Yet... you will believe Dawkins when he speaks?
NO! you do NOT want the Truth... The Light hurts your eyes!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If you cannot show your claims about dating the earth, then why should we believe they are a truth?
Am I to believe someone with the motive of proving a god over the overwhelming majority of scientists?
Science is not out to prove god exists or not. You and your propaganda have massive motive to lie. Science gains nothing if it proves god is myth. This it is less likely to have motive.
Religion has everything to lose, and that ten percent of members income tips the list.
This is massive money and it equals massive motive.
You forget... A LOT of those scientists are turning towards ID, and NO...
You do NOT get to claim Nature ID it!
You also forget the percentages of us... Who do NOT Want your Money, and don't care if you darken the door of a church!
We just want you saved, and to KNOW the truth!
God is Real, get used to it, as you will meet Him... I promise you that!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You don't seem to realize who this rebuttal was about (yes and amen). YAA is the typical hater of atheists. He hates most science books and wants them out of schools. Now I see this as harmful. Maybe you do not, but that is your business.
You consistently see religion as harmless. Did you forget about 9/11 already?
We demonstrate on a daily basis our problems with religion yet your short term memory seems not to keep these grievances in mind.
It is not the belief we hate, we hate the negative actions of believers due to the beliefs.
Now can you comprehend this concept?
What a lying Dipstick you are!
IF... IF I hated you, I would not try talking to you!
Stop your lying, and open your eyes to the Light!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

act your age wrote:
the entire nation is going the way of Detroit ,....
OK
keep backing obama and the democrats !
lets watch America fall !
it will be quite a show !
It's unstoppable!
Satan is grinding us to powder!
To God be the Glory of all who Repents, and is saved!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
At least I know how the differece between "whole" and "hole."
<quoted text>
Try not to appear any more foolish than you usually do.
I post only as aWitchintheWoods.
It bothers you to think there are so many educated, intelligent, well-spoken atheists. You would rather pretend we are all posting under multiple names. But you are wrong, as usual.
Anyone with half a brain would notice the distinct personalities represented.
"educated, intelligent, well-spoken"
Not always!
You can be "educated, intelligent, well-spoken", and STILL go to Hell!
Go figure!
Oh... Try not to make ANY spelling mistakes, as I may feel...
I will have to point them out to you!
Good day!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
George Washington didn't write much of anything either, but we still have his words, and know what he stood for.
Now you're going all fundamental on us? Mind your 9th commandment.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gwhtml/

http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Again you simply misstate the study you posted. The study was on the elderly on the brink of certain death and often in pain. The motives of suicide for these persons was actually somewhat noble as they cited the burden they felt they put upon their children supporting them financially to artificially extend their lives with modern medicine.
But you twist the actual study to include all atheists, young and old. This is just lying for the motive of demonizing atheism.
I brought this up to you when you first published the study and you ignored my response. You clearly ignore it to keep in denial and keep the faith.
Of course you do not realize the beliefs you have are considered detrimental by others. You sit in ignorant bliss as you discriminate upon homosexuals and constantly demean science. Ironically posting science studies to prove your own points astounds me..
Stop making up nonsense
Full article online: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/a...

ABSTRACT:

OBJECTIVE: Few studies have investigated the association between religion and suicide either in terms of Durkheim's social integration hypothesis or the hypothesis of the regulative benefits of religion. The relationship between religion and suicide attempts has received even less attention.
METHOD: Depressed inpatients (N=371) who reported belonging to one specific religion or described themselves as having no religious affiliation were compared in terms of their demographic and clinical characteristics.

RESULTS: Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found.

CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.

Pitzer College sociologist Phil Zuckerman compiled country-by-country survey, polling and census numbers relating to atheism, agnosticism, disbelief in God and people who state they are non-religious or have no religious preference. These data were published in the chapter titled "Atheism: Contemporary Rates and Patterns" in The Cambridge Companion to Atheism, ed. by Michael Martin, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK (2005). In examining various indicators of societal health, Zuckerman concludes about suicide:
Concerning suicide rates, this is the one indicator of societal health in which religious nations fare much better than secular nations. According to the 2003 World Health Organization's report on international male suicides rates (which compared 100 countries), of the top ten nations with the highest male suicide rates, all but one (Sri Lanka) are strongly irreligious nations with high levels of atheism. It is interesting to note, however, that of the top remaining nine nations leading the world in male suicide rates, all are former Soviet/Communist nations, such as Belarus, Ukraine

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>All laws are of man made traditions. Just look at the difference between the old and New Testament. The old traditions/laws needed an update and Jesus was that avenue to the changes.
Now is time for more updates. And I do not mean Joe Smith has the correct path to new traditions or laws. If he did, your church would never have made such massive mistakes as discriminating like it has done and is still doing.
Our traditions are moving past the era of Smiths days ( 1840). Our laws have moved along. Now catch up or be left behind.
I am speaking as a religious person so I can't agree. I believe some of their laws were from God.
Jesus fulfilled the Mosaic law and brought to them the higher law. He also corrected their laws that had crept overtime into something the law was not meant to be.
Like don't work on the Sabbath. Man had turned this into a more strict law than necessary. The law restricted normal work, but not the work of The Lord. He showed them it was ok to heal on the Sabbath.

I will obey the laws of this country because I love my country and wish to remain a citizen. But I will also abide by God's laws and will not abandon them regardless of what you say I should do. If God chooses to change a law that He has commanded us to follow, and communicates this to me directly or through His prophet, I will obey after receiving my own witness from the Holy Ghost that it is indeed from God.

I couldn't care less if you leave me behind as I do not wish to travel the same path as you are taking on several topics. Feel free to leave me behind and call me weird for choosing such (thus fulfilling scripture).

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>"Victim in Waiting"...that would be a great band name.

And you live in a strange world if you think someone is going to rape my cat and you are somehow going to skin your smoke wagon, do a double flip over the "bad guys", and save the day. That's called Hollywood.

I used to live in a rough part of a city. Had several friends and loved ones that were mugged. I was also attacked. None of us needed a gun and I'm thankful none of us had guns or the situations would have been worse.
Wow, I would rather have a gun and ensure this monster would not continue to gather victims.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Would a book about George Bush written by Karl Rove show George as a liar or a fraud? No, and I certainly would not expect the bible to tell the truth about Jesus. The bible is a propaganda book on Jesus, not an unbiased historical document.

Jesus was taught by John the Baptist. It is reasonable to assume John lead Jesus to believe he was special, so when John got his head chopped off, Jesus took the leadership role in the void.

Read the story of David Koresh and you will find the same thing happened. It is pretty textbook stuff.

If you showed a bit of critical thinking and skepticism of the bible, I might think you were not one hundred percent brainwashed, but you show absolutely zero ability to doubt the bible could have any flaws.
Where do you find any record that says John taught Jesus anything?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I also respect those peoples right to believe as they wish. But respecting freedom of religion is far different than respecting what one believes.
Elaboration was not needed by you if you could only write what you mean instead of writing what you do not actually mean. All you needed to write was, you respect the right of different beliefs. Now is that to long of a sentence to write, or are you just that careless in words?

The ten commandments show no respect for the right to believe as one wishes. So do you differ from god on morality? I certainly do, and this is one large reason I think this god must be a myth. This god does not ask, he demands, and commands, with zero respect for a freedom of choice.

I am glad you do not demand like your unreasonable god. But having a double standard for a god just shows the glaring contradictions of logic.This is why I continue to conclude you are in denial to keep the faith.

I respect your right to believe, but I do not respect the actions of Christians due to their beliefs all to often.
I don't write on here to please you. I'll write how I wish to write. If you care enough to want to know more, feel free to ask. I don't get much free time to doodle on here so I keep things concise most if the time.

I can learn about someone's beliefs and see why they believe as they do most of the time. So I can respect most others' beliefs. I said what I meant to say.

And no, I don't demand that anyone believe as I do. That's not my choice. It is theirs. It is my duty to educate others on my beliefs if they wish to hear them. Then it is their choice what to do with that information.
They have the choice to believe and act as they wish. Does that mean I think they are following the right path? No.

I am fine with God demanding His believers to act a certain way and do certain things. Since they believe He created them, it isn't unreasonable for them to think He has certain expectations of them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Free on hulu. A christian dies and an atheist keeps his bible. Waste of time, christian propaganda, no historical value. It does have a moment that "curious" would like. The atheist "makes a comment" about the christians religion. The christian says, for one with no faith you ask a lot of questions about religion.

Atheists ask questions.
So god exists.
Actually I was referring to the part where Mormons on both sides of the war meet.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I'm sorry those tragedies happened to you. I fully realize these things do happen every day.

But I'm not paralyzed with fear as a result and I don't feel so insecure I have to carry a lethal weapon to buy milk.

I'm sorry you do. And, as I told the other poster, I have no interest or intention of attacking your right to do so. Just keep your pop guns away from my kids and we'll have no quarrel.
You trivialize the trip to the store to buy milk, but do you realize that these life or death situations do not likely only happen on the day you go somewhere different that doesn't have a good reputation? These things can happen at any time and at almost any place. Seriously, who leaves the house thinking today is the day I'm going to get mugged so I'll carry my defense weapon today?
So I can't really blame people that choose to be cautious and carry a weapon that could save their lives so long as they do so legally.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Now you're going all fundamental on us? Mind your 9th commandment.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gwhtml/

http://gwpapers.virginia.edu/
No, you just missed the point completely.
It does not matter to me that Jesus Himself did not write a book that we have today. I believe the scriptures are true, though not inerrant. I believe in prophets and apostles that are appointed by God to communicate His messages to us. I believe in the Holy Ghost and have learned to identify His guidance.

You struggle to believe Jesus even existed, so when I say "Jesus said", you automatically place doubt in the remainder of the sentence. I do not think this way because I have received an undeniable personal witness that Jesus not only existed, but is the most important figure in all of human history, as well as human future.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The entire Bible, both Old and New Testaments speak of Jesus being the Son of God.
You are totally unprepared to have this discussion. Please go read Mark again and tell me there are no mentions of Him claiming to be the Son of God or fantastic miracles.
Then I can indeed call you a liar.

Yiagio says

You are the second person who chose not to read the words "correct me if I'm wrong". So you dismiss my entire point? I was trying to be fair to your boy, Jesus. I was trying to give you some middle ground between liar and nutcase.
The Hebrew Bible never mentions Jesus Christ. Not one time. Ever. Not. Once.
You should go and read it sometime. It's dreadful.
Mark has no real miracles in it, right? Jesus didn't rise from the dead in Mark. Mark was written earliest. Each subsequent gospel adds more elaboration and miracles. By the time you get to John it's a friggin' circus.
That's precisely how legends grow. Do you not find that slightly suspicious? Why doesn't the Bible come right out of the gate from page one with "Jesus, the son of god, who walked on water and rose from the dead, is your lord and savior"?
YIAGIO, the foundation for your argument is based on 3 FALSE STATEMENTS.
you claimed that THE GOSPEL OF Mark made no reference to JESUS being the son of GOD...
You were wrong
YOU CLAIM Mark made no reference to miracles or the resurrection
YOU ARE WRONG.
So,from that false foundation,your innane rantings lead you to conclude that the history of Jesus is a legend.
Your false statements failed to provide the evidence required to corroborate your inane rantings.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the scriptures are true, though not inerrant.
Do you really not see something wrong with this statement?

True = Consistent with fact or reality; not false or erroneous.
Inerrent = Incapable of erring; infallible. Containing no errors.

So, you are saying that you believe scriptures are true...but they aren't.
You are some kind of weird.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 103,941 - 103,960 of127,992
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

18 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr just 144,926
I have nothing to say.. 2 hr Tehee Candor 3
What happened at the dollor store in flat lick ... 2 hr Johnny 2
Barbourville topix 3 hr Rumors 7
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 3 hr 75 Scorpio 3,740
Fight 4 hr Brothers Market 1
KC Basketball Coach 4 hr Great 65
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 7 hr Butt head 383
•••