Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148907 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108978 Jul 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never said the Bible is inerrant.
This is why the Holy Ghost is important. It is also why there are so many interpretations of the same passages.
Sorry, but the contradictions of your statement is jarring me.
If the holy ghost is so important, then why are their so many interpretations of the same passages? Is the ghost not doing his job?
I thought you believed the holy ghost helped those who wrote the bible. If so, could the ghost not get the story correct?
You seem to want your cake and eat it also.
If the ghost could not make the story inerrant, then why would I think he could straighten out its meanings?
And really, do you expect us to believe in ghosts doing these magical things in our brains? Do you know how irrational that sounds?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108979 Jul 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
See it as you wish. You have not shown me anything impressive with your knowledge of deep doctrine of Christianity. Therefore I don't think you are qualified to tell a Christian what they believe. If me pointing out ignorance on your part looks like arrogance on my part, that just means I must have hit a nerve.
So what you see as your arrogance is just you hitting a nerve. Now what is the arrogance you charge against us due to?
You just cannot stop having double standards, can you.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108980 Jul 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, dude, seriously? You are going to tell me that you can't see all the prophecies that foretell Christ? Even though His name is not mentioned?
Jesus is the only person that ever lived that has had any claim to fulfilling the prophecies that only the Son of God could perform, because He was not simply a man. Jesus had to fulfill all prophecies mentioned in the OT. The only reason Jews didn't believe Him is because they misunderstood that His kingdom was not on this earth like they thought.
Please just google the prophesies that foretell the coming of Jesus. This is so easy to look up.
Jews can't interpret their own writings due to the holy ghost not doing his job. Or maybe the ghost is but a myth. Or maybe the ghost is not helping you interpret the writings correctly.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108981 Jul 27, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see "Creationists" trying to remove Science books from schools...I see people hatefully ragging on, and degrading others for having beliefs that might differ from their own.
Which makes no sense either, because that kind of stuff is just as ignorant and harmful, as extremist anything else.
Yes and Amen "That is... Keep "YOUR" religion of Evilution out of our schools, as it is a total lie!
We can adapt to certain circumstances, but Man in the Beginning was still Man at the end...
We did not come from Pond scum!"

Yes and Amen is the sort of creationist I am speaking of.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108982 Jul 27, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>That is... Keep "YOUR" religion of Evilution out of our schools, as it is a total lie!
We can adapt to certain circumstances, but Man in the Beginning was still Man at the end...
We did not come from Pond scum!
"
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see "Creationists" trying to remove Science books from schools...I see people hatefully ragging on, and degrading others for having beliefs that might differ from their own.
Which makes no sense either, because that kind of stuff is just as ignorant and harmful, as extremist anything else."

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108983 Jul 27, 2013
SistaNoneyoBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
The point was, people are NOT meant to be roboTic--or viewed as all the same. Nor is it rational to even begin to think, that just because one might belong to a certain "sector" (in this case-Science-such as NASA astronauts)is it wise to merely "assume" that they all hold the same perspectives, when it comes to BELIEFS (or lack thereof).
What you believe or don't believe in is your business (so long as it is NOT harming anyone in any shape fashion or form), just as mine are mine...(with no intents on harming others in any shape fashion or form) Just don't expect me to believe exactly as you believe, don't, because everyone believing the same thing (or not) is NOT reality either.
Obviously!
(I believe they call it in the sane world of rational, decent adults, agreeing to disagree, or STAYING AWAY from that which we might disagree with--- rather than beating, demeaning, picking juvenile fights or any of that type kindergarten ignorant sandbox level stuff)
Have a nice day :-).
Do assume I expect all to believe as I?
Seems to me the Christians here are doing this, and the ten commandments demand this.
I do not care if your intents is to harm me or not, if it harms me or society, I will voice my concerns about it whether it offends you or not.
I have shown repeatedly what I feel religion is doing that is not good for society. You continue to ignore this point as if religion is harmless. Again, did you forget about 9/11 already? Religion is not harmless. Perpetuating blind faith is not harmless. Maybe you think it is,so what? I do not, and you are not the boss of what I say. Do you hate freedom of speech? Am I not free to speak my mind? Am I to be passive to what I see as bad for society?

How can you not see the hypocrisy in your statement? If you really acted upon your beliefs claimed here, why are you beating, demeaning, picking juvenile fights or any of that type kindergarten ignorant sandbox level stuff?
Is what I voice causing harm?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108984 Jul 27, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Oh Yes!
I was watching a show about how our Periodic table came about..
The guy had huge desk that had the table on it, and in
the squares were lids, that held a sample of the material...
Awesome... Until he HAD to inject Evilutional theory into it!
When it came to "O"! He just had to say "O" wasn't here in the beginning to align the narrative of how Evilutionists believe Life began on earth... NOTHING, but Pure CONJECTURE!
Much like the rest of Their Theory... "Pure CONJECTURE"!
Irreducible complexity sends stares them in the face, and
they close their eyes tightly... They cannot stand the Light!
So you believe none of this has evidence and is pure conjecture? So you wish for the science books that say this to be taken out of schools?
And you wish for the bible which is devoid of evidence to be put in its place?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108985 Jul 27, 2013
treebeard wrote:
<quoted text>You're asking someone to get awfully specific with a really vague book...He gets one sequence of events wrong and you want him to suffer through that text again. It's all about the pain and suffering, eh?
The sequence of events is the least of what he gets wrong. He does not understand the meanings of Jesus' teachings, or the importance of His actions and their relationship to the Old Testament, but tries to point out how wrong they are, and how Jesus was just a delusional man. That's much worse than getting Mark wrong, but it is very related.

Location hidden

#108986 Jul 27, 2013
treebeard wrote:
<quoted text>You're asking someone to get awfully specific with a really vague book...He gets one sequence of events wrong and you want him to suffer through that text again. It's all about the pain and suffering, eh?
And I'm not asking him to be specific, he decided to do that himself, but he was incorrect in everything he said.
If you don't know, you shouldn't talk about it as if you do. Especially if you are trying to use that info to discount its validity.

Location hidden

#108987 Jul 27, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I've read all about the prophecies that allegedly foretell Jesus. They are far from compelling. Basically some old people said some vague stuff and modern readers map their own desires and needs onto them.

Exactly like I did with Michael Jackson, but with a lot more time and energy put into the process.

Look up modern vs. ancient interpretation and you'll get a sense of what I'm trying to say. Look up the ridiculous mental acrobatics that apologists have to do in order to make sense of the Abraham and Isaac story, for example. Or the way in which apologists will interpret the scriptures to make genocides seem both necessary and moral.

Then tell me that prophecies of Jesus are still compelling.

I mean seriously, was it too hard for your god to whisper the name of Jesus into somebody's ear?
Real quick search finds this:

http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefactsan...

http://theresurgence.com/2012/12/24/10-prophe...

http://www.accordingtothescriptures.org/proph...

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/jesus-christ...

Are you still waiting for another to fulfill all these things?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108989 Jul 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Fools and idiots need correction....
All 4 of the Gospels,which includes Mark, mention the resurrection.
Because your minds have been dulled and you are unable to see, has led you and Viagio to make foolish, unintelligible and totally lacking in credibility, absurd statements.
That you continuously misinterpret what is written in the Bible is quite obvious by your inane postings.
Viagio is living proof that Atheists are afflicted with mental disorders.....Not only him,but the other Atheist poster that accompanies you in sharing 10 monikers.
Your abilities to distort,misquote and misrepresent what is written in the Bible is more than ample proof of your deteriorating mental conditions.
Ignorance is the Key to Atheism
You're a very childish, stupid person. You remind me of a guy I used to "debate" years ago. He pulled some of the same BS. For example, if I said something that was wrong he would *never* stop bringing it up. Even though I would immediately post a correction or accept it when someone else corrected me.

You see, that's what rational people do. They own their mistakes and correct them if possible. When I post something that isn't true or is not well argued I always own up to it.

You, on the other hand, are like the kid in playground who just stands there saying "nanny nanny boo boo" until the teacher swats his ear and makes him cry.

And yet here I am replying to you like some kind of dummy myself.

Oh well, at least your mental issue is entertaining.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108990 Jul 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
No, I'm not waiting for anyone to fulfill those things because....I DO NOT BELIEVE IN MAGIC.

Also, how the hell is it compelling that a book written AFTER another book purports to fulfill things "foretold" in the previous book? Especially when the events being told about are not substantiated by evidence?

It's purely a matter of faith. And I have no use for faith unless it can wipe my butt.

Look at the lists you linked to. There is a term for what you're doing: cherry picking. You find one little verse or one little sentence that *kinda sounds like* something you see in the NT and BAM! You believe it is prophecy.

Damn. If its that easy to fool people I am going to start my own religion.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#108992 Jul 27, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not waiting for anyone to fulfill those things because....I DO NOT BELIEVE IN MAGIC.
Also, how the hell is it compelling that a book written AFTER another book purports to fulfill things "foretold" in the previous book? Especially when the events being told about are not substantiated by evidence?
It's purely a matter of faith. And I have no use for faith unless it can wipe my butt.
Look at the lists you linked to. There is a term for what you're doing: cherry picking. You find one little verse or one little sentence that *kinda sounds like* something you see in the NT and BAM! You believe it is prophecy.
Damn. If its that easy to fool people I am going to start my own religion.
"If its that easy to fool people I am going to start my own religion."

Like AGW......
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108993 Jul 27, 2013
A Disease Which Affects Only Atheists?
Posted on 16 August 2011 by Briggs
American Atheists have filed papers with an official government body claiming that they, American Atheists, suffer from a debilitating illness from which only the government has the power to cure. Strangely, this malady affects the central nervous system only of members of this group and not of ordinary citizens.
The group I mean are official “American Atheists” and not atheists who are Americans per se, though that organization claims to speak for non-affiliated atheists living in this country.
We learn from Jordan Sekulow at the Washington Post that the papers filed by the American Atheists is a lawsuit aimed at those in charge of rebuilding the World Trade Center site, destroyed on September 11, 2001.
The American Atheists claim that the cross builders would ensconce on the new building is harming them physically and emotionally.
In their suit, they charge that “Named plaintiffs have seen the cross, either in person or on television, and are being subjected to, and injured in consequence.” On television! As plaintiffs, they “pray and demand”(no irony intended) that they cross be removed.
Among those suing are
Plaintiffs Dennis Horvitz and Kenneth Bronstein [who] are members of American Atheists and are Atheists reared in the Jewish tradition. They find the cross, a symbol of Christianity, offensive and repugnant to their beliefs, culture, and traditions, and allege that the symbol marginalizes them as American citizens.
Plaintiff Jane Everhart says the cross would be an “insult” to non-Christian survivors of that attack. Plaintiff Mark Panzarino does not go as far and would be satisfied if they put up a “Lutheran cross” instead of the ostensibly non-Lutheran one.
Among the defendant’s named are Mike Bloomberg and that larger-than-life figure Chris Christie (why not?). Old Rudy G. is in there, as are a church (American Atheists are against them) and Silverstein Properties.
The American Atheists also single out my friend Brian Jordan, a Franciscan Friar who the American Atheists accuse of conducting “a religious ceremony directed at placing a symbol of Christianity on government-owned property.” They mean that Father Jordan blessed the serendipitous cross of steel found in the rubble of the trade towers “after construction workers at the site told him they saw the cross as ‘a sign that God never abandoned us at Ground Zero.’”
But what does all this legal rigmarole and matters tragic have to do with the cruel disease suffered by American Atheists?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108994 Jul 27, 2013
Seems something untowardly evil happens to the biology of an American Atheist when viewing a cross. According to the sworn-to-as-true (presumably, not sworn to God) papers filed in court, American Atheists, whenever they so much as glance at a cross, at least suffer from
dyspepsia, symptoms of depression, headaches, anxiety, and mental pain and anguish.
Awful stuff! Poor things! This is anguish we’re talking about here. I looked it up: extreme pain, either of body of mind; excruciating distress. Excruciating—God help us—distress! Foul, nasty business. Shades of torture and all that.
Although horrific, we note it is not as bad as it could be. The cross-viewing American Atheists only endure “symptoms of depression” and not actual full-blown depression itself. And none has (yet) claimed to have outright expired from seeing objects of faith.
The good news is that this syndrome is not unknown to medical science. It has long been identified as a malady suffered by vampires and several other species of the undead. But this is the first time it has been identified in American Atheists.
Science is yet silent on how American Atheists react to holy water, however, though experiments with garlic are progressing.
The bad news is that there is but one cure which brings complete remission of the disease. But since this cure is anathema to American Atheists, they must either learn to bear stoically the burdens of their cross (to coin a phrase), or they must resort to palliative care.
This consists in accumulating historical knowledge, and with it precious perspective; but it also means awakening and exercising their dormant senses of humor. The first is accomplished easily, and may be begun, for example, by reading Mr Sekulow’s column.
The second task has been shown to be nearly impossible, however. Experts recommend various strategies, such as canceling subscriptions to the New York Times, eschewing the phrase “equal rights,” and remembering the full version of (relevant clause) of the first amendment,“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#108995 Jul 27, 2013
curious wrote:
<blah, blah, blah nonsense>.
” Applying Freudian psychoanalysis to the likes of Charles Darwin, Thomas Henry Huxley, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Sigmund Freud himself, Koster concludes that their fear of domineering and abusive fathers transformed itself into hatred of the God their fathers represented to them.
This Koster guy almost had it right.

It was the "fear of domineering and abusive fathers" that caused primitive, superstitious goat-herding males to create Yahweh in the first place.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#108996 Jul 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but the contradictions of your statement is jarring me.
If the holy ghost is so important, then why are their so many interpretations of the same passages? Is the ghost not doing his job?
I thought you believed the holy ghost helped those who wrote the bible. If so, could the ghost not get the story correct?
You seem to want your cake and eat it also.
If the ghost could not make the story inerrant, then why would I think he could straighten out its meanings?
And really, do you expect us to believe in ghosts doing these magical things in our brains? Do you know how irrational that sounds?
It is amazing how some people insist on "naming" that "voice in their head'" when most of us just call them what they really are..."thoughts."

“I was born a poor, black child”

Since: Jan 07

that weren't no easy thing

#108997 Jul 27, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"If its that easy to fool people I am going to start my own religion."
Like AGW......
hey, we did that once on here.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/columbia-ky/T...

never did get rich, though
;P
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108998 Jul 27, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a very childish, stupid person. You remind me of a guy I used to "debate" years ago. He pulled some of the same BS. For example, if I said something that was wrong he would *never* stop bringing it up. Even though I would immediately post a correction or accept it when someone else corrected me.
You see, that's what rational people do. They own their mistakes and correct them if possible. When I post something that isn't true or is not well argued I always own up to it.
You, on the other hand, are like the kid in playground who just stands there saying "nanny nanny boo boo" until the teacher swats his ear and makes him cry.
And yet here I am replying to you like some kind of dummy myself.
Oh well, at least your mental issue is entertaining.
Yes you are,some kind of dummy..
Ein in jenen ausges prochen mutiges fangen. Doch ist geschickt und hat flinke so findet sie nach anfänglichen
Keinen , der bereit ist, sie , und eröffnet nach beendeter
lehrzeit im linken ...

Den einzig richtigen hält, schiebt sie alle beiseite und einen Sie will werden.
Das bedeutet, sie will in ihrem die damaligen bereits recht fortgeschrittenen Alter von funddreibig jahren noch erlernen und werden ..

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#109000 Jul 27, 2013
Nephilim wrote:
<quoted text>
Really man? The first prophesy fulfilled was "Messiah would be born of a woman." How can that not be Jesus?
Being born of a goat, sheep or even a human male would certainly have been a bit more .... ummmm, unique.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Richard Brown 12 min Chasing Rainbows 2
Shawntaea and curt Brown? 2 hr Lol 17
$8000.00 reward wave runners (Oct '13) 4 hr Taylor 12
amber brock (Oct '09) 4 hr Jazz 41
Kendra Bingham Messer 5 hr Brenda 3
Southeastern Kentucky Militia now recruiting ... (Jan '11) 5 hr arnufo 47
early morning hook up 5 hr Itty bitty man tool 3
Liquor License to locals only 9 hr governor 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance