Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 151766 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108892 Jul 26, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Mark is definitely far down the miracle scale compared to the others. And I love that the women who entered the empty tomb said nothing to no one. In other gospels aren't the people proclaiming everything loudly? In this one doesn't Jesus even say not to tell people about him? Or am I also remembering that one wrong?
God, I do NOT want to read the Bible again. It is a terrible piece of literature.
Not sure about that last part. But the very fact no resurrection is mentioned should be the largest red flag to anyone who can see this.
How could a believer think the book of Mark would just leave this part out? It is the smoking bullet that is evidence of a mythical story.
Note how no believers here have debated this yet.
Denial is key to faith.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108893 Jul 26, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Not on this Earth, I would agree, because I do tend to realize, NOTHING of this Earth, is actually perfect.
As for life beyond here on Earth, I would not know, anymore than the next person, Christian, non-Christian or otherwise. Astronauts not included...they have valid, rational, logical speaking points in my book.
----------
The entire idea of all persons being happy all the time is an impossibility unless they had no free mind or will and were just programed robots. As all humans have different ideas of what is good or makes them happy, no one environment could make all happy. This is why Utopia is an impossibility, not because earth has problems.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108896 Jul 26, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Not on this Earth, I would agree, because I do tend to realize, NOTHING of this Earth, is actually perfect.
As for life beyond here on Earth, I would not know, anymore than the next person, Christian, non-Christian or otherwise. Astronauts not included...they have valid, rational, logical speaking points in my book.
----------
“The Earth reminded us of a Christmas tree ornament hanging in the blackness of space. As we got farther and farther away it diminished in size. Finally it shrank to the size of a marble, the most beautiful marble you can imagine. That beautiful, warm, living object looked so fragile, so delicate, that if you touched it with a finger it would crumble and fall apart.
**Seeing this has to change a man, has to make a man appreciate the creation of God and the love of God.”
– James Irwin; NASA Astronaut
----------
Did you mention "Irony"?
James Irwin-
EDUCATION: Graduated from East High School,***Salt Lake City, Utah***.
He received a Bachelor of Science degree in --Naval Science from the United States Naval Academy in 1951 and Master of Science degrees in Aeronautical Engineering and Instrumentation Engineering from the University of Michigan in 1957.--
Awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Astronautical Science from the University of Michigan in 1971, an Honorary Doctorate of Science from William Jewell College in 1971, and an Honorary Doctorate from Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama, in 1972....
EXPERIENCE: Irwin, an Air Force Colonel, was commissioned in the Air Force upon graduation from the Naval Academy in 1951. He received his flight training at Hondo Air Base and Reese Air Force Base, Texas.
Prior to reporting for duty at the Manned Spacecraft Center, he was assigned as Chief of the Advanced Requirements Branch at Headquarters Air Defense Command. He was graduated from the Air Force Aerospace Research Pilot School in 1963 and from the Air Force Experimental Test Pilot School in 1961.
He also served with the F-12 Test Force at Edwards Air Force Base, California, and with the AIM 47 Project Office at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
During his military career, he accumulated more than 7,015 hours flying time, 5,300 hours in jet aircraft.
NASA EXPERIENCE: Colonel Irwin was one of the 19 astronauts selected by NASA in April 1966. He was crew commander of lunar module (LTA-8)-this vehicle finished the first series of thermal vacuum tests on June 1, 1968. He also served as a member of the astronaut support crew for Apollo 10 and as backup lunar module pilot for the Apollo 12 flight.
Irwin served as lunar module pilot for Apollo, July 26 to August 7, 1971. His companions on the flight were David R. Scott, spacecraft commander and Alfred M. Worden, command module pilot. Apollo 15 was the fourth manned lunar landing mission and the first to visit and explore the moon's Hadley Rille and Apennine Mountains which are located on the southeast edge of the Mare Imbrium (Sea of Rains). The lunar module, "Falcon", remained on the lunar surface for 66 hours, 54 minutes-setting a new record for lunar surface stay time-and Scott and Irwin logged 18 hours a
----------
To anyone with some actual common sense AND holding some reading comprehension, that Mr. Irwin does not exactly sound like an Ignorant, "God hating" or denying schlep huh?
Which leads right into your third question rather "ironically" was well, to which I can honestly answer, that type of thing is something I usually base on the environment, more specifically, the mentality levels in character (or LACK thereof) that I might be dealing with.
Hope that answers your questions @moi.
Does being an astronaut make you beyond ignorance of all things?
I am not calling all believers stupid or something like this. Do you know what ignorance means? It does not mean stupid.
And if you wish for me to believe I must appreciate god due to what an astronaut thinks you must believe I am a robot.
SistaNoneyoBiz

London, KY

#108897 Jul 26, 2013
Atheism101 wrote:
<quoted text>
PhiNitWitTic You sPEak Of sMaLLMINDed.
!REALly! lol
The College Edjumacated DuHmmy - THE True Religious NUT.
iF BRAINS were MaDe oF CoTtOn !!!YOU!!!! wOuld Not have ENOugh TOOOOOO make A TAMPon for A GNATS ArSe.
ROFLMAO
College REJECTed PhiNitWitTic The ChamPION Of HYpocRisy and STUPIDity.
Your HATRED and envy are showing.

Get away from me, you envious, ignorance spewing, ugly, lunaTic thing.
SistaNoneyoBiz

London, KY

#108898 Jul 26, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The entire idea of all persons being happy all the time is an impossibility unless they had no free mind or will and were just programed robots. As all humans have different ideas of what is good or makes them happy, no one environment could make all happy. This is why Utopia is an impossibility, not because earth has problems.
I don't even ever begin to think about any sort "utopia" in that sense. Why bother-it's just not realistic.

So, guess we actually kind of agree on stuff!
SistaNoneyoBiz

London, KY

#108899 Jul 26, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Does being an astronaut make you beyond ignorance of all things?
I am not calling all believers stupid or something like this. Do you know what ignorance means? It does not mean stupid.
And if you wish for me to believe I must appreciate god due to what an astronaut thinks you must believe I am a robot.
The point was, people are NOT meant to be roboTic--or viewed as all the same. Nor is it rational to even begin to think, that just because one might belong to a certain "sector" (in this case-Science-such as NASA astronauts)is it wise to merely "assume" that they all hold the same perspectives, when it comes to BELIEFS (or lack thereof).

What you believe or don't believe in is your business (so long as it is NOT harming anyone in any shape fashion or form), just as mine are mine...(with no intents on harming others in any shape fashion or form) Just don't expect me to believe exactly as you believe, don't, because everyone believing the same thing (or not) is NOT reality either.

Obviously!

(I believe they call it in the sane world of rational, decent adults, agreeing to disagree, or STAYING AWAY from that which we might disagree with--- rather than beating, demeaning, picking juvenile fights or any of that type kindergarten ignorant sandbox level stuff)

Have a nice day :-).
SistaNoneyoBiz

London, KY

#108900 Jul 26, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Does being an astronaut make you beyond ignorance of all things?
Peas-and the astronaut reference was initially referencing life "beyond" planet Earth--the REST of the then quoted quote- really was just actual "irony" lol.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108901 Jul 26, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Mark is definitely far down the miracle scale compared to the others. And I love that the women who entered the empty tomb said nothing to no one. In other gospels aren't the people proclaiming everything loudly? In this one doesn't Jesus even say not to tell people about him? Or am I also remembering that one wrong?
God, I do NOT want to read the Bible again. It is a terrible piece of literature.
Inasmuch as you,Duquette and the other Atheists that post on this website are unable to understand that which is written therein,which you misinterpret,quote out of context and as proven recently,make claims that are false,then you should not read the bible.
You that claim that we who believe are afflicted by delusions,in case you havent't heard,scientific studies confirm that nonbelievers are afflicted by a higher rate of mental problems than those who beliece,are more likely to become addicted to drugs ,alcohol and more likely to become suicidial.
There are those who will attest to the fact that their belief in God cured them from their drug and alcohol addiction.
There are those who will attest that there belief in God prevented them from committing suicide..
I have yet to hear anyone testify that by converting to Atheism they were able to combat their addictions or deal effectively with their mental or social problems.
What you guys need to do is,knowing that unbelief is causing such a problem within those in your community,try and figure out some way where you can be of assistance to these poor souls.
Right now,if an Atheist has a mental problem he can wait for it to go away,call on the government or turn to A church for assistance,while those who created the problem continue spreading their poison unabated...
It is no wonder that polls show that the overwhelming majority of Americans put Atheists at the bottom of the list when it comes to trustworthiness....

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Mount Vernon, KY

#108902 Jul 26, 2013
Read this in another forum and thought I would pass it along....

By (Bobby Jackson)
Our society is doomed..........

IDIOT SIGHTING

I handed the teller @ my bank a withdrawal slip for $400.00
I said "May I have large bills, please"

She looked at me and said "I'm sorry sir, all the bills are the same size."
When I got up off the floor I explained it to her....

IDIOT SIGHTING
When my husband and I arrived at an automobile dealership to pick up our car, we were told the keys had been locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver side door. As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked.'Hey,' I announced to the technician,'it's open!' His reply:'I know. I already got that side.'

This was at the Ford dealership in Canton,MS

IDIOT SIGHTING
We had to have the garage door repaired.
The Sears repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a 'large' enough motor on the opener.
I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one Sears made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower.
He shook his head and said,'Lady, you need a 1/4 horsepower.' I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4.
He said,'NO, it's not..' Four is larger than two.'

We haven't used Sears repair since.

IDIOT SIGHTING
My daughter and I went through the McDonald's take-out window and I gave the clerk a $5 bill.
Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her a quarter.
She said,'you gave me too much money.' I said,'Yes I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar bill back.
She sighed and went to get the manager, who asked me to repeat my request.
I did so, and he handed me back the quarter, and said 'We're sorry but we could not do that kind of thing.'
The clerk then proceeded to give me back $1 and 75 cents in change.

Do not confuse the clerks at McD's.

IDIOT SIGHTING IN FOOD SERVICE
My daughter went to a local Taco Bell and ordered a taco.
She asked the person behind the counter for 'minimal lettuce.'
He said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg lettuce.
-- From Kansas City

IDIOT SIGHTING
I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an airport employee asked,
'Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?'
To which I replied,'If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?'
He smiled knowingly and nodded,'That's why we ask.'

Happened in Birmingham , Ala.

IDIOT SIGHTING
The stoplight on the corner buzzes when it's safe to cross the street.
I was crossing with an intellectually challenged coworker of mine. She asked if I knew what the buzzer was for.
I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red.
Appalled, she responded,'What on earth are blind people doing driving?!'

She was a probation officer in Wichita , KS

IDIOT SIGHTING
At a good-bye luncheon for an old and dear coworker who was leaving the company due to 'downsizing,'
our manager commented cheerfully,'This is fun. We should do this more often.'
Not another word was spoken. We all just looked at each other with that deer-in-the-headlights stare.

This was a lunch at Texas Instruments.

IDIOT SIGHTING
I work with an individual who plugged her power strip back into itself
and for the sake of her life, couldn't understand why her system would not turn on.

A deputy with the Dallas County Sheriff’s office, no less.

IDIOT SIGHTING
How would you pronounce this child's name?
"Le-a"
Leah?? NO
Lee - A?? NOPE
Lay - a?? NO
Lei?? Guess Again.
This child attends a school in Kansas City, Mo.
Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong.
It's pronounced "Ledasha".
When the Mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said, "the dash don't be silent."

SO, if you see something come across your desk like this please remember to pronounce the dash.
If dey axe you why, tell dem de dash don't be silent.

STAY ALERT!

They walk among us......and they VOTE.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Mount Vernon, KY

#108903 Jul 26, 2013
Saw this in another forum and thought i would ass it along...

By Bobby Jackson

Our society is doomed..........

IDIOT SIGHTING

I handed the teller @ my bank a withdrawal slip for $400.00
I said "May I have large bills, please"

She looked at me and said "I'm sorry sir, all the bills are the same size."
When I got up off the floor I explained it to her....

IDIOT SIGHTING
When my husband and I arrived at an automobile dealership to pick up our car, we were told the keys had been locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver side door. As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked.'Hey,' I announced to the technician,'it's open!' His reply:'I know. I already got that side.'

This was at the Ford dealership in Canton,MS

IDIOT SIGHTING
We had to have the garage door repaired.
The Sears repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a 'large' enough motor on the opener.
I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one Sears made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower.
He shook his head and said,'Lady, you need a 1/4 horsepower.' I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4.
He said,'NO, it's not..' Four is larger than two.'

We haven't used Sears repair since.

IDIOT SIGHTING
My daughter and I went through the McDonald's take-out window and I gave the clerk a $5 bill.
Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her a quarter.
She said,'you gave me too much money.' I said,'Yes I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar bill back.
She sighed and went to get the manager, who asked me to repeat my request.
I did so, and he handed me back the quarter, and said 'We're sorry but we could not do that kind of thing.'
The clerk then proceeded to give me back $1 and 75 cents in change.

Do not confuse the clerks at McD's.

IDIOT SIGHTING IN FOOD SERVICE
My daughter went to a local Taco Bell and ordered a taco.
She asked the person behind the counter for 'minimal lettuce.'
He said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg lettuce.
-- From Kansas City

IDIOT SIGHTING
I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an airport employee asked,
'Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?'
To which I replied,'If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?'
He smiled knowingly and nodded,'That's why we ask.'

Happened in Birmingham , Ala.

IDIOT SIGHTING
The stoplight on the corner buzzes when it's safe to cross the street.
I was crossing with an intellectually challenged coworker of mine. She asked if I knew what the buzzer was for.
I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red.
Appalled, she responded,'What on earth are blind people doing driving?!'

She was a probation officer in Wichita , KS

IDIOT SIGHTING
At a good-bye luncheon for an old and dear coworker who was leaving the company due to 'downsizing,'
our manager commented cheerfully,'This is fun. We should do this more often.'
Not another word was spoken. We all just looked at each other with that deer-in-the-headlights stare.

This was a lunch at Texas Instruments.

IDIOT SIGHTING
I work with an individual who plugged her power strip back into itself
and for the sake of her life, couldn't understand why her system would not turn on.

A deputy with the Dallas County Sheriff’s office, no less.

IDIOT SIGHTING
How would you pronounce this child's name?
"Le-a"
Leah?? NO
Lee - A?? NOPE
Lay - a?? NO
Lei?? Guess Again.
This child attends a school in Kansas City, Mo.
Her mother is irate because everyone is getting her name wrong.
It's pronounced "Ledasha".
When the Mother was asked about the pronunciation of the name, she said, "the dash don't be silent."

SO, if you see something come across your desk like this please remember to pronounce the dash.
If dey axe you why, tell dem de dash don't be silent.

STAY ALERT!

They walk among us......and they VOTE.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108904 Jul 26, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you really know all Washington stood for? So many still debate what Washington stood for. Some claim he was a Christian, some claim he was a deist.
Most agree he was Christian and that he did not want to use the word God. So he used the word providence. Have you ever seen how much credit he gives to providence?

Location hidden

#108905 Jul 26, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>Been there, done that.
Learned that the bible is nothing but myth.

Why do you think so many people become atheists?
WE READ THE BIBLE.
That will make an disbeliever out of any intelligent person.
Reading it doesn't mean you understood what you read. People can spend their lives reading and studying it and not understand everything. It is quite incredible how understanding increases when studying it with the Holy Ghost as your companion. Jesus taught in hidden meanings so that only those who were ready to receive the information understand it because once you learn it, you are held accountable for that knowledge.

Location hidden

#108906 Jul 26, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So the words of the bible are not perfect? I could have sworn on another post you attested your faith believed they were. Now which is it?
If the Satan could influence writers of the words in today's bible, why on earth would you take any of the words as truth just due to it being in the bible? If Satan could affect the words, why could he not affect whole books?

The lack of a consistent standard is why I have no faith the bible is reflecting true events.
I have never said the Bible is inerrant.

This is why the Holy Ghost is important. It is also why there are so many interpretations of the same passages.

Location hidden

#108907 Jul 26, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>It would be funny if it were not so sad that you have no idea how hypocritical your statement was.
Your arrogance is extreme and you demonstrated it here clearly.
See it as you wish. You have not shown me anything impressive with your knowledge of deep doctrine of Christianity. Therefore I don't think you are qualified to tell a Christian what they believe. If me pointing out ignorance on your part looks like arrogance on my part, that just means I must have hit a nerve.

Location hidden

#108908 Jul 26, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>Yeahhhhh,I was responding to YOUR BABBLE..
BTW,,I was unable to locate any of the "intelligent and educated Atheists "you alluded to.
Guess trying to find 2 Atheists posting under 9 different monikers is not that easy.
Are you the same klutz that used to post under SP and UMMM or have they been banned permanently from topix?
I sure hope so

Location hidden

#108909 Jul 26, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Well, see Michael Jackson looked at the man in the mirror and asked him to change his ways. God made man in his own image (mirror) and asked him to change his ways (and killed them all for not doing it).

God is Michael Jackson. If you read the OT you'll see references all over the place referring to God, therefore Michael Jackson.

You can't assert that one person is actually a different entity then go back to all mentions of that entity and claim it was prophecy. That is, in a word, nuts.
Ok, dude, seriously? You are going to tell me that you can't see all the prophecies that foretell Christ? Even though His name is not mentioned?
Jesus is the only person that ever lived that has had any claim to fulfilling the prophecies that only the Son of God could perform, because He was not simply a man. Jesus had to fulfill all prophecies mentioned in the OT. The only reason Jews didn't believe Him is because they misunderstood that His kingdom was not on this earth like they thought.

Please just google the prophesies that foretell the coming of Jesus. This is so easy to look up.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#108910 Jul 26, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeahhhhh,I was responding to YOUR BABBLE..
BTW,,I was unable to locate any of the "intelligent and educated Atheists "you alluded to.
Of course not. Your delusion blinds you.
curious wrote:
<quoted text> Guess trying to find 2 Atheists posting under 9 different monikers is not that easy.
As usual, it scares you to think there are really so many of us.
Keep right on denying reality, honey. You are good at it.
curious wrote:
<quoted text> Are you the same klutz that used to post under SP and UMMM
No. As I have said before, I only post as aWitchintheWoods.
It's a great name. Why wouldn't I use it?
However it doesn't matter what I say as you will continue to live in your happy little fantasy.
curious wrote:
<quoted text> or have they been banned permanently from topix?
I don't know what happened to them.
SP's language was a bit over the top, so I suppose it could have gotten him banned but I never saw Ummm say anything distasteful.
On the contrary, his posts were very well-spoken, educated and intelligent. I miss them both though. Couple of interesting guys.

Location hidden

#108911 Jul 26, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, Mark is definitely far down the miracle scale compared to the others. And I love that the women who entered the empty tomb said nothing to no one. In other gospels aren't the people proclaiming everything loudly? In this one doesn't Jesus even say not to tell people about him? Or am I also remembering that one wrong?

Maybe you should before you try to tell others what it says

“I was born a poor, black child”

Since: Jan 07

that weren't no easy thing

#108912 Jul 26, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should before you try to tell others what it says
You're asking someone to get awfully specific with a really vague book...He gets one sequence of events wrong and you want him to suffer through that text again. It's all about the pain and suffering, eh?

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#108913 Jul 26, 2013
treebeard wrote:
<quoted text>You're asking someone to get awfully specific with a really vague book...He gets one sequence of events wrong and you want him to suffer through that text again. It's all about the pain and suffering, eh?
Lmao YES

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Finally getting hitched 23 min Curious 1
Dustin Gray 38 min looking 1
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 43 min Surprise 37
Higher Property Taxes 2 hr Check 15
Police: Woman arrested after passing out in car 3 hr funny 10
No regrets 5 hr Got it all 7
Older men Younger women 7 hr Dangerous Pro 14

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance