Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 133,424

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108816 Jul 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe at one time they were completely accurate. I believe that through different people's interpretations and translations (along with Satan's influence) that scriptures have become less perfect. I do not think that the intention of the scriptures was to leave things so open to interpretation that there could be this many denominations coming from the same source.
Also, judging from the way Christ taught, we are supposed to rely on the Holy Ghost for our understanding. Those that wanted to learn more, and had full intentions to follow His teachings no matter what they were, are the ones that had "ears to hear".
So the words of the bible are not perfect? I could have sworn on another post you attested your faith believed they were. Now which is it?
If the Satan could influence writers of the words in today's bible, why on earth would you take any of the words as truth just due to it being in the bible? If Satan could affect the words, why could he not affect whole books?

The lack of a consistent standard is why I have no faith the bible is reflecting true events.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108817 Jul 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Man this quote really describes you:
Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand.
- Metallica
It is foretold in the scriptures that these things will happen. If you really took half the time that you spend degrading believers, and used it to study the scriptures, you could learn quite a bit on your own.
It would be funny if it were not so sad that you have no idea how hypocritical your statement was.
Your arrogance is extreme and you demonstrated it here clearly.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108818 Jul 25, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course. He was created in our image, after all.
Or we created him in our image.
John

Clay City, KY

#108819 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Or we created him in our image.
talk to PR lady about this.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108820 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Or we created him in our image.
That's what I said.

Or... the desert rats created him in their image, then the father of all western urbane pacifist hippies recreated him in his.

:-) we can do this all day....
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108821 Jul 25, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there, done that.
Learned that the bible is nothing but myth.
Why do you think so many people become atheists?
WE READ THE BIBLE.
That will make an disbeliever out of any intelligent person.
When it comes to God,I do not know why we would listen to the opinions of Atheists.
Because of their unbelief,they have been shown to have a higher rate of suicide,drug and alcohol addiction and other mental maladies than any other group.
We know where you been and what the results are
"According to researchers from Harvard Medical School, belief in god is correlated with improved outcomes of treatment for depression. Quoting:'In the study, published in the current issue of Journal of Affective Disorders, researchers comment that people with a moderate to high level of belief in a higher power do significantly better in short-term psychiatric treatment than those without. "Belief was associated with not only improved psychological well-being, but decreases in depression and intention to self-harm," says David H. Rosmarin, Ph.D., an instructor in the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.' This raises interesting questions. Does this support the concept of depressive realism? If the association is found to be causal, would it be ethical for a psychiatrist to prescribe religion?"
Apparently Scientific Studies show that athiest are far more suicidal and are more likely to lack self confindence, amongst many other mental and character disorders...

==========
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/a...

Abstract :
OBJECTIVE: Few studies have investigated the association between religion and suicide either in terms of Durkheim’s social integration hypothesis or the hypothesis of the regulative benefits of religion. The relationship between religion and suicide attempts has received even less attention.

METHOD: Depressed inpatients (N=371) who reported belonging to one specific religion or described themselves as having no religious affiliation were compared in terms of their demographic and clinical characteristics.

RESULTS: Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder. No differences in the level of subjective and objective depression, hopelessness, or stressful life events were found.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108822 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So again you divert by trying to psycho anilyze why I post on topix.
Funny how you are doing exactly what you accuse me of doing. You peck away and refuse to debate the accusation made. How ironic and hypocritical, not to mention a giant double standard.
What is your accusation exactly? Sorry to disappoint, but I never gave a moments thought as to "why" you post on here actually.
(except for maybe now -at this moment, wondering why anyone would even think anyone else was thinking something like that) and I am certainly not "psycho-analyzing" you lol.... just opinining from of mine own perspective.

I've already stated, I just cannot imagine lumping people into stereotypical groups of any sort, based upon any label of category and calling them all the same.

That to me, would be like calling all philosophical books, for example, the "same", or all science books the "same", and judging them only their outward coverings.

That type of illogic, just makes no sense to me, and seems rather shallow to boot.

So what's the double standard? I'm not directly attacking you personally with insults-as you are me-eh?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108823 Jul 25, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Was there some kind of point to all that babble?
Yeahhhhh,I was responding to YOUR BABBLE..
BTW,,I was unable to locate any of the "intelligent and educated Atheists "you alluded to.
Guess trying to find 2 Atheists posting under 9 different monikers is not that easy.
Are you the same klutz that used to post under SP and UMMM or have they been banned permanently from topix?
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108824 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So do you see the Christians here doing this or just atheist?
I see most of the Christians here on an agenda to remove evolution teaching from public schools. I am pretty sure evolution is in the textbooks. Do the math.
I don't think Science will ever be removed from classrooms anywhere, and I try to see beyond here, because this a pretty limited format a lot of times, in my opinion. Actually some of the better scientific, more scholarly, and open minded websites I have seen at times-have been sponsored by none other than "Christian affiliated" groups.
I cannot perpetuate myself to propagate "hate and insults" towards all folks based upon a mere label brandished as "Christians" in bigotry, any more than I could do so towards those of a mere label brandished "atheists".
To do something like that, just doesn't seem logical, or rational.

This is 2013, not 213 BC.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108825 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am fully aware a lot of people are hypocrites. Is this your excuse for being one or is this just another diversion? I see you refuse to admit it when caught in the act.
I don't expect anyone to be perfect, but I do expect one to try and improve upon himself, or herself.
Is there some reason you feel the need to personally insult another, while just conversing with them?

Are you stuck in some dark age witch hunt era?

I find the best people to try to improve upon, are always our selves, and I can certainly agree with you in that yes, NO one is "perfect". Actually, I believe there's NO such thing as "perfection", especially perpetually.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108826 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>My point is "faith" is all to often dependent of double standards.
I don't think faith has anything to do with "double standards" at all. I think anyone's faith (or lack there of) is their own, is a personal type of thing, and so long as such is harmless to others or themselves, should not have to be subjected to ANY one else's "standards" but their own.

Especially RUDE and Crude standards, that evoke Rude and Crude opinions, directed towards others, out of nothing but nastiness.

That's what I think.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108827 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The god of the bible insists I must believe in it, although it shows zero evidence of existence. This is an unreasonable demand. Why would I think this god is real if it is so unreasonable?
If you wish to believe it, fine, but the reality is, believers typically insist I also believe and they have agendas that affect my life that I disagree with due to said beliefs. This is why I try to show why I think the god is of a myth.
Ummm, I disagree,

I think that's why we are all individuals of our own choices.

But I do agree, I wouldn't like anyone forcing THEIR choices on MY life either.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108828 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I have no doubt the prophesies of the old could have easily claimed to have been fulfilled by someone, but again, it is but a claim.
I am sure many a devout Jewish scholar would be glad to show you where their writings did not mean what you interpret them to mean.
But with all these prophesies we see the typical vague predictions can be interpreted a thousand different ways. This is why their are over 38,000 different Christian sects.
Which would (doing the) math out to about 5.58 languages per sect...if anyone was only including Christian sects. Of course, reality tells us there are far more religious denominations that just one, so does that mean there is less than 1 language per religion?

How Many Languages in the World
Aug 31, 2011
You may be surprised, but it is a very difficult task for linguists1 to give the correct answer to the question,“How many languages are there in the world?” Before they can start counting, they have to solve some other problems. What can be defined as a separate language? Should dialects2 be added to the general number? Can you always understand the difference between a language and a dialect? How many people must speak the language? Is it obligatory for a language to be written? And this list of questions can be very long…

If you do not want to go into detail, just trust in professionals’ opinions, which state the following:

There are from 6800 to 6900 distinct languages in the modern world

As you see, even scientists are not able to give a more or less exact number. The Ethnologue organization speaks about approximately 6900 languages, and specialists from the National Virtual Translation Center agree with it. The Linguistic Society of America says that there are about 6800 spoken languages.

In fact, from time to time different languages disappear, because peoples speaking them die out or assimilate with other peoples. Thus, their languages become extinct. Have you ever heard about “dead languages”? Latin is the most striking example.

The Most Popular Language in the World

Do you know what language is the most widely spoken one? If you think it is English, you are badly mistaken. Look at the table below.

Language
Number of native speakers
Mandarin Chinese
about 880 million
Spanish
about 325 million
English
about 315-380 million
Arabic
about 205-425 million
Hindu
about 185 million
Portuguese
about 180 million
Bengali
about 175 million
Russian
about 145 million
Japanese
about 130 million..........

Hm...less than one language per religious "accounted" for denomination?
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108829 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Some bibles add in an extra small chapter to Mark in order to mention the supposed resurrection. It describes the tomb being empty, but no actual return and teachings latter claimed.
Mark has some miracles but far less than latter books.
Mark was written decades after the claimed Jesus was to have died. Exaggerations can come in days, minutes or even seconds after an event. In the days with no mass communications, exaggerations flourish because accountability is so poor.
Kind of like the many still UNanswered variables in the BB theory?
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108830 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution makes absolutely zero claims of a god. Must you lie in order to promote your beliefs?
The anti-science agenda you have is why I protest your beliefs.
Note: YaA used the term "evilution" not "evolution".

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108831 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think Science will ever be removed from classrooms anywhere, and I try to see beyond here, because this a pretty limited format a lot of times, in my opinion. Actually some of the better scientific, more scholarly, and open minded websites I have seen at times-have been sponsored by none other than "Christian affiliated" groups.
I cannot perpetuate myself to propagate "hate and insults" towards all folks based upon a mere label brandished as "Christians" in bigotry, any more than I could do so towards those of a mere label brandished "atheists".
To do something like that, just doesn't seem logical, or rational.
This is 2013, not 213 BC.
So when I say "some Christians here", this is just a broad stroke label that brands them all the same?
Do you know what the word "some" means?
Just what am I to call the persons in question? Maybe I need to be more specific so your PC police ways are not offended? The persons called Curious, and the person called yes and amen, who goes by several insulting names on occasion are topping the list of "some Christians" on this thread.

And did you really claim to not insult me? You must have some serious denial issues. But then again, many of your insults are broad stroke insults to whole groups of people. How ironic,contradictory and hypocritical as per usual with you.
You really just can't see it, can you?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108832 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Kind of like the many still UNanswered variables in the BB theory?
Does the big bang theory claim some absolute truth? Nope, not a bit. But the bible and Duwhat sure make this claim about their ideas with absolutely zero evidence.
No one is living their lives hinged upon the big bang theory. So no matter if it were completely wrong, what would it matter?
The big bang theory makes no demands you must blindly follow.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108833 Jul 25, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Been there, done that.
Learned that the bible is nothing but myth.
Why do you think so many people become atheists?
WE READ THE BIBLE.
That will make an disbeliever out of any intelligent person.
There sure are a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTt of TRULY intelligent people out there in the wayyyyyyyy bigger world, that often base much of what they may be studying, from things that are mentioned with in the Bible.

WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more intelligent than anything I've ever seen posted on here (INcluding my own par average semi walking around sense- Of course)

And many have stated as well, those things that they have studied (or even are CURRENTLY studying) have just given them more evidentiary reasons to actually BELIEVE, in varying mentions made with in the Bible.

And logically so. Jerusalem, the Temple Mount, and many many other ancient archeological areas, steeped in world history, are certainly, VERY REAL.

People like THAT, who can express their opinions in intelligent ways, can and do offer, such interesting and varying perspectives to read about, listen to and learn from.

Without having to demean or personally attack others.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#108834 Jul 25, 2013
SistaNoneyaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Which would (doing the) math out to about 5.58 languages per sect...if anyone was only including Christian sects. Of course, reality tells us there are far more religious denominations that just one, so does that mean there is less than 1 language per religion?
How Many Languages in the World
Aug 31, 2011
You may be surprised, but it is a very difficult task for linguists1 to give the correct answer to the question,“How many languages are there in the world?” Before they can start counting, they have to solve some other problems. What can be defined as a separate language? Should dialects2 be added to the general number? Can you always understand the difference between a language and a dialect? How many people must speak the language? Is it obligatory for a language to be written? And this list of questions can be very long…
If you do not want to go into detail, just trust in professionals’ opinions, which state the following:
There are from 6800 to 6900 distinct languages in the modern world
As you see, even scientists are not able to give a more or less exact number. The Ethnologue organization speaks about approximately 6900 languages, and specialists from the National Virtual Translation Center agree with it. The Linguistic Society of America says that there are about 6800 spoken languages.
In fact, from time to time different languages disappear, because peoples speaking them die out or assimilate with other peoples. Thus, their languages become extinct. Have you ever heard about “dead languages”? Latin is the most striking example.
The Most Popular Language in the World
Do you know what language is the most widely spoken one? If you think it is English, you are badly mistaken. Look at the table below.
Language
Number of native speakers
Mandarin Chinese
about 880 million
Spanish
about 325 million
English
about 315-380 million
Arabic
about 205-425 million
Hindu
about 185 million
Portuguese
about 180 million
Bengali
about 175 million
Russian
about 145 million
Japanese
about 130 million..........
Hm...less than one language per religious "accounted" for denomination?
I fail to see what your post has to do with mine. Nothing new here.
<quoted text>I have no doubt the prophesies of the old could have easily claimed to have been fulfilled by someone, but again, it is but a claim.
I am sure many a devout Jewish scholar would be glad to show you where their writings did not mean what you interpret them to mean.
But with all these prophesies we see the typical vague predictions can be interpreted a thousand different ways. This is why their are over 38,000 different Christian sects.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#108835 Jul 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Does the big bang theory claim some absolute truth? Nope, not a bit. But the bible and Duwhat sure make this claim about their ideas with absolutely zero evidence.
No one is living their lives hinged upon the big bang theory. So no matter if it were completely wrong, what would it matter?
The big bang theory makes no demands you must blindly follow.
Moi thinks you confuzzle this "evidence" with "faith" sometimes.

If the BBT were completely wrong? It's not even complete, TO be "wrong".

As far as the BBT making "demands"...neither does anything else written in any other book-theories, suggestions, tangible evidences in some cases, and personal choices.

Geesh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Silverscreen Tanning - Ringworm 53 min Great 3
Brett 3 hr gator 51
WET vote supported by Artemus church deacon 3 hr gator 6
Looking for Wendy Walker high school friend 14 hr High school friend 1
What do u think about Amanda Shaffer? (Feb '10) 16 hr Jen 17
Romeo's Italian Resturant 16 hr City worker 12
Keep our town DRY 16 hr aaa 22
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Jan 29 marsh 55
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:54 am PST

NBC Sports 8:54AM
Andy Dalton replaces Aaron Rodgers on Pro Bowl roster
Yahoo! Sports 9:39 AM
Dalton to replace Rodgers for Pro Bowl
NFL10:12 AM
Andy Dalton added to Pro Bowl roster
NBC Sports12:57 PM
Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton headed to his 2nd Pro Bowl
NBC Sports 3:15 AM
Marvin Lewis on Andy Dalton: We don't have time to waste on QB competition