Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,107

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108477 Jul 19, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did your god come from?
It is my understanding that he always was,is and always will be.
Why do you ask?

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#108481 Jul 19, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It is my understanding that he always was,is and always will be.
Why do you ask?
If there is a creator being then it would have to have no beginning and no end; otherwise it couldn't make the claims that the christian bible makes.

I can't get figured out which is easier to concieve. A being that has and always will be who created everything...... or........
and I know that there is a scientific jargon for this but basically; there was nothing and the nothing became something and that something became something else.

Both are simple concepts that we can twist into extremely difficult and elaborate happenings but how does logic play into either or neither of them?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#108482 Jul 19, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately,I have not regressed mentally to the stage where the illogical makes sense.
That nothing can create something out of nothing does not compute in my world.....
It's like,what came first,the chicken or the egg.
As you know,Scientists claim the chicken came first,as only a chicken is able to produce a chicken egg.
Ok. Where did the chicken come from?
Who created the chicken?
We already played the chicken and egg game... it's not regression to not have the intellectual ability to understand complex thoughts.... There is another term for it....

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#108484 Jul 19, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. That's why I think it is difficult to deny the Holy Ghost. You have to have full knowledge of Him before you can deny Him.
I misunderstood what you meant in previous post, sorry, now to move on to another area since we agree on the sin against the Holy Spirit.

Do all baptized members of LDS church have full knowledge of God? Do you claim to have full Knowledge of God?

[Speaking in Tongues today]

You said that you believe the gift of speaking in tongues exist today.

What do you think was the purpose of speaking in tongues was used for after Jesus death?

Does anyone in your LDS church speak in tongues today? If so, why would you believe it is real and not fake?

What purpose would speaking in tongues be used for in this modern age?

I don't think there would be any reason for it today.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108485 Jul 19, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>That's fine, I don't expect my opinion will amount to much for you.

I don't recall ever saying Jesus was a fraud. With figures so obscure and ancient it is really hard to know much about their intentions. We have scant evidence of his existence, let alone his motivations. If he was real then I think it is more plausible to say that he was genuine in his own beliefs and teachings. I'd say the magic attributed to him is mostly added later (read the gospels in the order in which they were actually written and you can see the magic getting more and more fantastical, the claims more and more elaborate...that's how legends grow).

But I can say those things. You can't. If your starting point is "I believe" then from that you can't get to the truth. You have to start with "I want to know". Then you can follow the evidence. And evidence is the clearest path to truth.
He taught that He was the Son of God. This is why He was killed. So if you don't believe He was the Son of God, then you are calling Him a fraud.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108486 Jul 19, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>I misunderstood what you meant in previous post, sorry, now to move on to another area since we agree on the sin against the Holy Spirit.

Do all baptized members of LDS church have full knowledge of God? Do you claim to have full Knowledge of God?

[Speaking in Tongues today]

You said that you believe the gift of speaking in tongues exist today.

What do you think was the purpose of speaking in tongues was used for after Jesus death?

Does anyone in your LDS church speak in tongues today? If so, why would you believe it is real and not fake?

What purpose would speaking in tongues be used for in this modern age?

I don't think there would be any reason for it today.
I do not think that there is a human alive that understands everything about God or the way He thinks. But we are held accountable for the knowledge that we do have. I have learned of many commandments from God and I must, therefore, do my best to obey them, or I would be knowingly sinning.

I believe that the purpose of the gift of tongues is to teach the gospel to others. At the Pentecost I think it was more to prove to people the power of God. This is not its main purpose today.
I believe it is more manifest in being able to learn an entirely different language in a matter of a couple of weeks, to travel to the country that speaks this language and be fully immersed, and be able to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ in their native language.

Roseville, CA

#108487 Jul 19, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
He taught that He was the Son of God. This is why He was killed. So if you don't believe He was the Son of God, then you are calling Him a fraud.
The religion of Judasim beleive Jesus is a fraud and LDS hold them high esteem and respected in the Mormon faith system.

Why would you treat one person in a different light than Judasim that also believe that Jesus is a fraud? Is God now partial?

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#108488 Jul 19, 2013
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07...

HaHaHa....You reap what you sow. Lmfao tooooo f-ing funny.

“There is no god.”

USA

#108489 Jul 19, 2013
Hiya Spaceship good to see you brother.

Lol, god is now what it always has been a delusion.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#108490 Jul 19, 2013
chance8 wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is a creator being then it would have to have no beginning and no end; otherwise it couldn't make the claims that the christian bible makes.
I can't get figured out which is easier to concieve. A being that has and always will be who created everything...... or........
and I know that there is a scientific jargon for this but basically; there was nothing and the nothing became something and that something became something else.
Both are simple concepts that we can twist into extremely difficult and elaborate happenings but how does logic play into either or neither of them?
Let me try to explain what you have gotten wrong... No one in Science has ever said there was Nothing that became something... There is actually no such thing as "Nothing" take away all physical matter and you still have Energy... Energy exists between Everything and is something even if No Thing exists within it.... So Matter converted From Something and that Something was a Quanta of Energy even if there was No Things....

“There is no god.”

USA

#108491 Jul 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text> Sucks to be wrong, like not having a dad to tell you if you whoop somebody you might get shot.
I am glad you're a christian such ignorance and bigotry as yours needs a support group of like minded idiots.

“There is no god.”

USA

#108492 Jul 19, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There's that too.
Lesson from Tray: when bouncing an old man's head off the street, expect to get shot. Just saying.
I see now, you are a member of that christian group the kkk. You follow david dukes rules not turn the other cheek like jesus said all good little christians should do. Burn a cross for jesus and shoot a black man, you are a bigot and a hypocrite, wait, of course you are you're a christian.

“There is no god.”

USA

#108493 Jul 19, 2013
Just read the discussion on America being based on christian principles and I agree with the religies.

Indigenous people(native Americans) nearly wiped out for being ungodly savages.

Salem witch trials.

Slavery.

At least 99 wars.

Equal rights denied to gays.

Equal rights denied to women.

Religious beliefs forced upon every American.

Yes, christian principles, christian hatred, christian bigotry, christian hypocrisy and christian ignorance are seen through out Americas history. Time to change, the god delusion is not working.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108494 Jul 19, 2013
chance8 wrote:
<quoted text>
My limited understanding cannot fathom how nothing can create something out of nothing.
To me,that is illogical and nonsensical.
Neither am I able to comprehend or explain how something"God" can have always existed.
But,the WORD OF GOD says" If you diligently seek me,you will find me.
Reluctantly,but,wanting to find out for myself,I tested God's word...
Through a series of events that occurred in my life,it became evident to me that God is real,and will reveal himself to those who seek him,as he promised.
I was not coerced,not delusional,brainwashed,did not hear voices,was not afraid of death,was not looking for a reward,eternal life or any such thing..
The events that occured in my life convinced me that someone was listening and responding to my prayers..
Thereby,my Faith....
To those who do not believe,my faith is nonsense.
To me,knowing what I experienced to be real,gives a totally different meaning to my life....

Roseville, CA

#108495 Jul 19, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Hiya Spaceship good to see you brother.
Lol, god is now what it always has been a delusion.
Hi LOL. Nice to see you also.
Lou Stool

Columbia, KY

#108496 Jul 19, 2013
&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

Sums it up!

Roseville, CA

#108498 Jul 19, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think that there is a human alive that understands everything about God or the way He thinks. But we are held accountable for the knowledge that we do have. I have learned of many commandments from God and I must, therefore, do my best to obey them, or I would be knowingly sinning.
I believe that the purpose of the gift of tongues is to teach the gospel to others. At the Pentecost I think it was more to prove to people the power of God. This is not its main purpose today.
I believe it is more manifest in being able to learn an entirely different language in a matter of a couple of weeks, to travel to the country that speaks this language and be fully immersed, and be able to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ in their native language.
I read also that the purpose of the gift was to have the apostles teach in other languages.

I read the bible shows apostles was given the gift of tongues had the ability to speak many different tongues instantly, rather than two weeks of missoniary training for just one.

That said, it is impressive to learn a language as fast as two weeks.

I read this on a link covering the MTC. Not trying to split hairs here, but looks like many already had prior training in a language before attending MTC.

"In many cases, missionaries who already speak the language of their assigned area are sent to their mission after just three weeks."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary_Train...

I know you may believe your LDS students may have the gift of tongues, I would have to agree if they can learn it in two weeks of study and practice.

All due respect it is not a gift of tongues shown in the bible.

p.s. Glossolalia is fake I believe and used to con people and build a following.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108501 Jul 20, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Without that Gun he might very well be in the morgue... We cannot know what would have happened if he Didn't have the side arm and Martin continued to beat him.. Every thing he did was just as I have been told to do when on neighborhood watch when I lived in Michigan by the Police... Report any one or any thing suspicious and keep an eye on them until police arrive...
Why do so many seem to think having a Legally Carried gun is what causes a person to die... When in many More cases having a Legally carried gun keeps the carrier Alive... If someone Legally Carrying shoots a bad guy think of it as Saving a Good Guys Life....
I don't believe in good guys and bad guys. I'm a grown man.

The frequent cases of kids being shot because Dad or Gramps are too stupid to unload their guns and hide them lead me to think your point is not so compelling.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy shooting. I don't have a problem with people owning and shooting guns. But don't carry your f*cking gun to Wal Mart. Give me a break.

Location hidden

#108502 Jul 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I never claimed that GZ was not in fear for his life or that he didn't pull the trigger in self defense. I said that he was the aggressor and that it was his actions of pursuit that culminated with the boy's death. I agree that he isn't a murderer, but he sure as hell wasn't an innocent bystander.
Be careful with that camera, Q. Some paranoid upstanding citizen might think that a biker taking pictures is suspicious enough to run you off the side of a mountain.
Yeah, I think this case sort of pings that part of us that has a problem with the idea of insiders vs. outsiders. I mean, if you are not towing the social line you are suddenly a suspect.

I enjoy taking walks. I like to walk in places I've never walked before. So if I'm walking through a neighborhood where I don't live am I going to be followed by some paranoid guy with a gun augmenting his tiny male ego? It bugs me to think that might be the case.

This Martin kid might have been up to no good. Or he might not. Nobody knows and people who keep using that as a justification are, IMHO, idiots.

Location hidden

#108504 Jul 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm starting to see how you can be a Mormon. Your logic skills are lacking.

Imagine this:

I am Conan the Barbarian. I was born on a battlefield and I am from Cimmeria. I have killed a lot of men with a sword.

If you don't believe me then you are saying I'm a fraud, right?

But what if I'm just crazy? What if someone has convinced me to utterly that I am Conan that I actually think its true?

What if Jesus believed whatever he actually preached? I don't believe a word of it personally. But does that make Jesus a fraud? It makes his message highly suspect. But I have no reason to think he was intentionally misleading people, which is what fraud means.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Ari son of Anarchy 155,363
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 4 min The Apostle 7,141
Stealing from child's grave 12 min not right 3
Girls at Flatlick Dolar General? 19 min lolololol 16
knox board of ed raising taxes 39 min iwow 117
Gary Martin 1 hr neighbor 2
Any news on new football coach at Knox Central? 2 hr hmmm 2

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance