Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,435

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108392 Jul 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>There's that too.
Lesson from Tray: when bouncing an old man's head off the street, expect to get shot. Just saying.
That's like saying an arsonist didn't set the fire, he just dropped the match when it burnt his finger. Zimmerman shouldn't have gotten in a kid's face who wasn't breaking the law. Fight of flight is unpredictable and according to testimony, Martin had already tried running before the final fatal confrontation.
"Old man" Zimmerman was 28 at the time.
You often seem to get your "facts" confused with your "want to believes". Just saying.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#108393 Jul 17, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously, you've not read my posts...
God is real, and I am not wrong!
Oh yes, I have read your posts.

You state over and over how terrible it will be to die, face an imaginary judgement by a "loving god" and endure a mythical eternal punishment.

Your words make it quite clear how fearful you are.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#108394 Jul 17, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"I would spit in his eye"...
This is why!
He sent you a Savior to take you out of that eternal punishment,
and... you'd spit in His eye?
What an ingrate!
Yet.... He still offers you salvation... Take it, and
say "Thank you"...
Sent a "savior?" Why make it complicated?
Why not just say, "I forgive you all for the mistakes I made in creating you. My bad. Sorry."

Stupid primitive superstition.

No, thank you. No NEED of "salvation" here.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#108395 Jul 17, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
That's like saying an arsonist didn't set the fire, he just dropped the match when it burnt his finger. Zimmerman shouldn't have gotten in a kid's face who wasn't breaking the law. Fight of flight is unpredictable and according to testimony, Martin had already tried running before the final fatal confrontation.
"Old man" Zimmerman was 28 at the time.
You often seem to get your "facts" confused with your "want to believes". Just saying.
Tray shouldn't have bounced George's head off the street, what else can you expect? There were only two injuries on Tray, bruised knuckles and a bullet wound. Did you see the photos of George?
you are a liar

London, KY

#108396 Jul 17, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems that you conveniently overlooked the reasons for the decline
of Atheism..
Decline of atheism? What a lying pile of trash you are.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human...
http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyiname...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#108397 Jul 17, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously, you've not read my posts...
God is real, and I am not wrong!
"So you say, but cannot demonstrate"
Bush ax

Glasgow, KY

#108398 Jul 17, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
<Sent a "savior?" Why make it complicated?
Why not just say, "I forgive you all for the mistakes I made in creating you. My bad. Sorry.">
God didn't make the mistakes; Lucifer, your master, rebelled against God and led man astray... much as he has done with you.

<Stupid primitive superstition.>
And Wicca is what?
yes, you need it; you just reject it.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108399 Jul 17, 2013
you are a liar wrote:
<quoted text>
Decline of atheism? What a lying pile of trash you are.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human...
http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyiname...
Depending at what study you look at,some will show Atheism declining,some will show Atheism increasing.
Whether increasing or decreasing,Atheism will have no effect on the existence of God.
God does not depend for his Existence on how many may or may not believe in Him.
What is interesting is that polls show that Atheists are the most distrusted group in America...
Also,25% OF ATHEISTS attend religious services on a weekly basis and many of their children,once they reach adulthood,convert into believers.
Obviously there is something about Atheism that they are unable to tolerate.
What that may be is open to conjecture.
Possibly,the fact that Unbelievers have a higher suicidial rate than the average,higher rate of drug and alcohol abuse and other mental problems than those who profess a belief in God.

Famous Atheists Antony Flew and Psychologist Albert Ellis have recanted their views on God and the positive effect belief in God
has on mental illness...Among others
The fact remains that God has ,does and will always exist regardless of how many unbeliecers may be spawned by those who believe that the Universe,our planet and life as we know it are the result of an unexplainable accident that happened billions of years ago.
That nothing created something out of nothing is not only absurd,it is insane...
BTW,,,Stop changing monickers,,you are fooling no one..
You are a liar and your deceptive tactics fool no one

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#108400 Jul 17, 2013
Bush ax wrote:
<quoted text> aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
<Sent a "savior?" Why make it complicated?
Why not just say, "I forgive you all for the mistakes I made in creating you. My bad. Sorry.">
God didn't make the mistakes; Lucifer, your master, rebelled against God and led man astray... much as he has done with you.

<Stupid primitive superstition.>
And Wicca is what?
yes, you need it; you just reject it.
You haven't quite figured out how to use those pesky "QUOTE" AND "/QUOTE" symbols yet, have you?

Your "god" isn't much of a "god" if he didn't know Lucifer, along with 1/3 of his angel forces, was going to rebel.(according to the myth)
Omniscient? Guess not...
If your "god" knew about Lucifer and his plan, why didn't he stop him with a snap of the old magical fingers? He has to "wage war" on Lucifer? Really?
Omnipotent? Not so much....

And why should I defend Wicca? I am an atheist.
Wicca does indeed have better morals and a reverence for Nature that are more admirable than Christian values but I realized some time ago that the belief in anthropomorphized invisible beings is foolish.

Keep your primitive fears and superstitions. Go on believing that some imaginary parental figure is watching over you, judging you and will, in the end, punish or reward you.
Since there is no evidence for any of that, I'll take reality.

#108401 Jul 17, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't quite figured out how to use those pesky "QUOTE" AND "/QUOTE" symbols yet, have you?
Your "god" isn't much of a "god" if he didn't know Lucifer, along with 1/3 of his angel forces, was going to rebel.(according to the myth)
Omniscient? Guess not...
If your "god" knew about Lucifer and his plan, why didn't he stop him with a snap of the old magical fingers? He has to "wage war" on Lucifer? Really?
Wicca does indeed have better morals and a reverence for Nature that are more admirable than Christian values but I realized some time ago that the belief in anthropomorphized invisible beings is foolish.
Keep your primitive fears and superstitions. Go on believing that some imaginary parental figure is watching over you, judging you and will, in the end, punish or reward you.
But, but , but Realities Hard.......

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#108403 Jul 17, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
But, but , but Realities Hard.......
***chuckles***

I read this a few days ago and thought of you and the other science-minded (is that a word?) folks on this forum. It is quite touching.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand.

It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics: You are all stardust.
You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements – the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life – weren’t created at the beginning of time.
They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode.

So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today."
-- Lawrence Maxwell Krass
Bush ax

Glasgow, KY

#108404 Jul 17, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Omniscient? Guess not...
BAHAHAHAHA..... you are right!! I just answered you randomly to try and figure out the quotes. seriously. So how does that work? Like, if I had wanted to put what I am writing now with what you wrote about me not knowing the quote stuff?

#108405 Jul 17, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
***chuckles***
I read this a few days ago and thought of you and the other science-minded (is that a word?) folks on this forum. It is quite touching.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. And, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand.
You couldn’t be here if stars hadn’t exploded, because the elements – the carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, iron, all the things that matter for evolution and for life – weren’t created at the beginning of time.
They were created in the nuclear furnaces of stars, and the only way for them to get into your body is if those stars were kind enough to explode.
Yes and we can tell how the types of stars each element was processed through before it became you... We know that at least one Quasar and One Super nova was required to make you you....

Evolution started the Instant Physical Matter was converted from the Unified Indefinable Energy Quantum at least 14 Billion years ago... Each subatomic particle that self assembled in the universe was a step in the Evolution of man and all life... How ever you define life... And that is a moving target... Today Life exists from 60 below zero to 400 degrees above, live lives in oxygen and it lives in pure methane.... Live exists at pressures that would cause your blood to boil at altitude and pressures that would crush you like a semi running over a grape... Life Thrives in toxic acid baths and the hearts of nuclear reactors... And that is but Life as We Know It... A species that has been around for only a fraction of a tick of the cosmic clock.....

#108406 Jul 17, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
***chuckles***
And interesting article Sorta on the subject...

http://news.yahoo.com/earths-gold-may-come-co...

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108407 Jul 18, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems that you conveniently overlooked the reasons for the decline
of Atheism..
Here is a reminder
Substantive challenges to naturalistic explanations for the origin of life;
Substantive challenges to psychological theories viewing religion as a pathology, and a scientific demonstration of the health benefits of a spiritual life;
Philosophical challenges to the presuppositions and axioms of atheism, such as materialism;
The decline of Marxism and Leninism;
Tenuousness of belief in atheism by many of its own believers;
Reduction in atheism and resurgence of theistic belief worldwide;
Inhuman acts committed by atheists throughout the 20th century;
No, I just know about McGrath and I know that theologians study fairy tales as if they were real. So I don't put much stock in what they say.

Let's look at this list and see just how serious these challenges are:

"Substantive challenges to naturalistic explanations for the origin of life"

No. I'm not aware of any "substantive" challenges on this matter other than the fact that studying an event or series of events billions of years in the past ain't easy. We are not likely to get an answer on this one anytime soon. Creationist loonies take that as support for their fairy tale.

"Substantive challenges to psychological theories viewing religion as a pathology, and a scientific demonstration of the health benefits of a spiritual life"

So? If you can demonstrate that being religious is healthy how on earth does that go against atheism? Atheism is rejection of the idea that a god or gods are real. You can adhere to a religious lifestyle and still be an atheist.

What does that say about god, other than god is irrelevant in the equation.

"Philosophical challenges to the presuppositions and axioms of atheism, such as materialism"

There are philosophical challenges to the idea that you are a real person. So the fact that there are philosophical challenges to atheism is neither shocking nor problematic. Philosophy is all about arguments. Good stuff!

"The decline of Marxism and Leninism"

I have no idea why this is on the list. Who gives a flying f*ck?

"Tenuousness of belief in atheism by many of its own believers"

Nobody "believes" in atheism. How many times have you read the definition of the word? Atheism is rejection of a belief, not the promotion of a belief. Do you understand the difference?

A lot of people have doubts about their faith in god. Does that mean I can use that fact as evidence against god? No, that's dumb. And so is this point.

"Reduction in atheism and resurgence of theistic belief worldwide"

I don't know what planet these authors are living on. The atheist/agnostic demographic has grown from less than 5% to over 15% in less than 20 years. During that time Evangelical Christianity has also grown while certain other sects have declined. Worldwide Christianity has grown because you guys keep going into African villages and converting them. Gotta love a religion that preys on the weakest people.

"Inhuman acts committed by atheists throughout the 20th century"

So? What does that have to do with atheism? Do you honestly believe the claptrap that Pol Pot killed millions because there was a god-shaped hole in his heart? Does that mean the millions killed over the years in religious conflicts are because god was involved? It seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. With god, you go to war. Without god, you go to war.

Hmm...what can that possibly mean?...
CivilLawsandEthi cs

London, KY

#108408 Jul 18, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Omniscient? Guess not...
People can deny the existence of a "God" all they wish to, it doesn't change the FACT that there are good and kind people as well as bad, nasty people, no matter the "religious" belief or non belief.

And that is a REALITY of how and what people ARE JUDGED upon...through EVIDENCE of their OWN doings while on this earth.
Just some judge harder than others, and are far worse people than others.
But then that usually has a way of coming back around on the not so good and nasty types in more ways than one, while here on earth, eventually.
JustMeaness

London, KY

#108409 Jul 18, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
***chuckles***
Too bad ignorance and meaness isn't comprised of "star dust" though huh?
JustMeaness

London, KY

#108410 Jul 18, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and we can tell how the types of stars each element was processed through before it became you... We know that at least one Quasar and One Super nova was required to make you you....
. A species that has been around for only a fraction of a tick of the cosmic clock.....
Kin yew splain to us how it izz dat all deez differnt containers of duh same elemental type of wallkin, tallkin mouf breaving type pixie DUHst ingwediants, can awrl be so'z differnt elsewise (yew know, outside of the realms of basic physic matter composition)

Do yewz have ter awlter yer doorways to fits yer them pompous blobs over OVER filled helium on yer shoulders through them?

OMG-just copy and paste post all the "SPECIES" in Periodic tables and point out the elements fo what's being discussed, in use...as shown for what it comprises--composition of the universe.

----------
Did you ever wonder what stars are made of? You might not be surprised to know that stars are made of the same stuff as the rest of the Universe: 73% hydrogen, 25% helium, and the last 2% is all the other elements. That’s it. Except for a few differences here and there, stars are made of pretty much the same stuff.

After the Big Bang, 13.7 billion years ago, the entire Universe was a hot dense sphere. The conditions inside this young Universe were so hot that it was equivalent to being inside the core of a star. In other words, the entire Universe was like a star. And for the brief time that the Universe was in this state, nuclear fusion reactions converted hydrogen into helium to the ratios we see today.

The Universe kept expanding and cooling down, and eventually the hydrogen and helium cooled down to the point that it could actually start collecting together with its mutual gravity. This is how the first stars were born. And just like the stars we have today, they were made up of roughly 73% hydrogen and 25% helium. These first stars were enormous and probably detonated as supernovae within a million years of forming. In their life, and in their death, these first stars created some of the heavier elements that we have here on Earth, like oxygen, carbon, gold and uranium.

Stars have been forming since the Universe began. In fact, astronomers calculate that 5 new stars form in the Milky Way every year. Some have more of the heavier elements left over from previous stars; these are metal-rich stars. Others have less of these elements; the metal-poor stars. But even so, the ratio of elements is still roughly the same. Our own Sun is an example of a metal rich star, with a higher than average amount of heavier elements inside it. And yet, the Sun’s ratios are very similar: 71% hydrogen, 27.1% helium, and then the rest as heavier elements, like oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, etc. Of course, the Sun has been converting hydrogen into helium in its core for 4.5 billion years.

Stars everywhere are made of the same stuff: 3/4 hydrogen and 1/4 helium. It’s the stuff left over from the formation of the Universe, and one of the most elegant pieces of evidence to help explain how we’re here today...

Frasier, C. "What are stars made of" Universetoday.com . 2/6/2009.

Footnote 1. Ahh 2009...back before the current admin had time to plunder, blunder, pillage and generally screw America over.)

Footnote 2. No "dying stars" requirement mentioned, for the formation of new ones to exist--just universal ELEMENTS already in existance.
Footnote 3. Yewr a maroon.
JustMeaness

London, KY

#108411 Jul 18, 2013
Annoyed wrote:
But alas, all we can do here is mingle and egg them on for fun
Maroons can fool some of the masses some of time, but not all of the masses all of the time.

Might want to tie a string onto Q and a couple of others toes, and twine them around some firmly rooted trees, so they don't float due to the abunDUNCE of hot air comprising the blob on they shoulders.
(and make sure there's no puddles of water around either, in case the other elements of BS compositional material is in float mode)
JustMeaness

London, KY

#108412 Jul 18, 2013
Carl Sagan wrote:
<quoted text>
If this message board promoted intelligent discussions and debates instead of a broken, anti-discussion 'judging' system - & didn't attract so many overweight, gossiping coal miners' wives, it could happen.
Hardly anyone on here can even tolerate someone with a different viewpoint than them.
Lets lessen the element of boron, it hard on the MOHs scale of rocks, that way we culd make sum better pliability in tolerance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Allen Messer Dying of Lung Cancer? 52 min barsnap 8
Phillip Vaughn 1 hr just wondering 3
hubbs creek...anyone 1 hr just wondering 5
Samantha Daniels 2 hr KyPrincess 1
Ask your candidate to join us this time it is a... 3 hr Open to the public 5
What has JM Hall done for Knox County ? 3 hr Gray Citizan 1
Corbin's alchol sales bring in another big busi... 3 hr Gray Citizan 4
who will you vote for as jailer 3 hr Local Guy 57
Has Rabbit and Jm fell out ? 11 hr wondering 4
who got arrested at bville walmart? Tue Ky Resident 4