Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 147278 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108557 Jul 20, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
That is amazing to learn in 4 weeks. Do you think Glossolalia is real or fake?
Fake.

Even Dan Barker, the guy from the Freedom From Religion Foundation, used to speak in tongues. He even says that he can still do it and it is something he enjoys.

It's very similar to when a child will act goofy when playing. My kid does it sometimes. He just goes nuts and starts making all kind of weird noises. Of course he doesn't then claim it was jesus...

Location hidden

#108558 Jul 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, the Pentecostal version of the gift of tongues I think was to demonstrate the power of God to a large group of people. I don't see why this would be necessary now. And it certainly wouldn't have a place in a worship service with a group of people that already believe.
Of course some missionaries would have prior language experience in some cases. Kids start learning Spanish in kindergarten now. But I do have to say that a friend of mine learned Mandarin Chinese in under 4 weeks before his mission and he was not a good student in high school. I was impressed.
You probably meant to type "learned *some* Mandarin Chinese". And yeah, that's impressive.

Some people are talented with languages. All brains are different. Kids are especially good at it. Adults, not so much.

Speaking in tongues is weird. That crazy woman from the documentary Jesus Camp does it. It's really easy to see how fake it is when you witness it. If you let yourself, you can do it too just by going into a sort of trance.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108559 Jul 20, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I can honestly say that I have never noticed that.
Strangely, I seem to recall a study that proves exactly the opposite. Okay, poorly worded. Since it's YaA's proposition, it isn't strange at all.

“I was born a poor, black child”

Since: Jan 07

that weren't no easy thing

#108560 Jul 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, as has been amply demonstrated in multiple threads and myriads of cultist posts - if you were delusional you'd be incapable of knowing any better, anyway.
It's absolutely frightening to be reminded of the person I once was. I am glad at least that once I became a mother and was responsible for someone else, I was able to recognize it as a harmful teaching. That baby boy saved my life in more ways than one.
Sometimes, I feel I could have been pretty smart cat had my youth been filled with knowledge rather than .....

Location hidden

#108561 Jul 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I follow you. You aren't following me. I didn't mention the miracles. I only mentioned that He taught that He was the Son of God, the messiah, the savior of the world and that only through Him could anyone return to the Father. Since you don't believe in God, then you do not believe these statements. So either you are calling Jesus a fraud or crazy.
So let me follow your logic. If I tell you something that isn't true I'm either a) lying or b) crazy.

Do you not have room in your equation for other options? For example, what if Jesus didn't say anything about magic or being the son of god? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Mark mentioning the whole "son of god" thing. If not, and since it was the earliest text, that means it is likely that the magical stuff was added later, like I said.

That would mean Jesus might have been sane and might have simply said things that were on par with a modern hippie. Loopy, but not fraudulent. And not necessarily crazy.

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#108562 Jul 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No
If LDS members are drafted in the military and called to go to war, are LDS o.k. with killing other LDS members that serve in the enemy countries that we might go to war with?

When LDS members go to war, who are they serving, God or man?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#108563 Jul 20, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably meant to type "learned *some* Mandarin Chinese". And yeah, that's impressive.
Some people are talented with languages. All brains are different. Kids are especially good at it. Adults, not so much.
Speaking in tongues is weird. That crazy woman from the documentary Jesus Camp does it. It's really easy to see how fake it is when you witness it. If you let yourself, you can do it too just by going into a sort of trance.
Okay, let me try it. First go into a mindless trance then type whatever incomprehensible gibberish comes out? Ommmm....

unlesssomethugdecidestojumpany oneforjustexercisingtheircivil rightsinwhichcaseallespecially femaleseniorcitizensinflashoul dbeallowedarmswhenoutkeepingan eyeoutontheirneighborhoods <breath> forthosethatdonotbelieveinjesu schristasthesonofgodithinkofas unfortunatethattheyhaventhadth esameexperiencesthatihavehadth atshowedmethatjesusisthechrist thatstatuscouldchangeatanytime <breath> hahahahadoyouthinkallofuscanno tunderstandcomplexthoughtshowa boutthemicrobiologiststhathave turnedfromatheismtoidbelievers idsaythey understandmorethanyougodsreals nuggleuptothatfactyouwillbegla dyoudid

Yup, if you shut down cognitive reasoning, glossolalia is possible.

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#108564 Jul 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, let me try it. First go into a mindless trance then type whatever incomprehensible gibberish comes out? Ommmm....
unlesssomethugdecidestojumpany oneforjustexercisingtheircivil rightsinwhichcaseallespecially femaleseniorcitizensinflashoul dbeallowedarmswhenoutkeepingan eyeoutontheirneighborhoods <breath> forthosethatdonotbelieveinjesu schristasthesonofgodithinkofas unfortunatethattheyhaventhadth esameexperiencesthatihavehadth atshowedmethatjesusisthechrist thatstatuscouldchangeatanytime <breath> hahahahadoyouthinkallofuscanno tunderstandcomplexthoughtshowa boutthemicrobiologiststhathave turnedfromatheismtoidbelievers idsaythey understandmorethanyougodsreals nuggleuptothatfactyouwillbegla dyoudid
Yup, if you shut down cognitive reasoning, glossolalia is possible.
Fleecing the flock.

1 Corinthians 14:22
"Thus tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers."

Like shooting fish in a barrel with this technology.
CivilLawandEthic s

London, KY

#108565 Jul 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is "they"? The main stream media? The ANCF? The Illuminati and the Trilateral Commission? Yer getting as nutty as YaA, lady.
Why the difference in this case, versus the other one posted?

Media mass frenzy.

(The "illumanati"? Now that's getting a little nutty!)
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108566 Jul 20, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, the other consideration is that accounts written decades and centuries later should >never be assumed< to coincide with the actual events, especially when there are certain and definite agendas backing those writers. Wouldn't you agree?
http://www.nbcnews.com/science/3-000-year-old...

But artifacts DO make things a little more interesting!
CivilLandEthics

London, KY

#108567 Jul 20, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. So a thug jumps someone "for exercising their civil rights" and the old lady then turns into Chow Yun Fat from a John Woo flick, brandishing twin 9 millimeters and doing theatrical gun tricks.
Or...the thug takes the purse, runs away, and now has a gun.
Why would anyone carry a purse on an evening neighborhood watch walk?

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#108569 Jul 20, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>56,000,000 dead Babies just for one!
Was not talking to you.
If you are going to join a conversation, at least try to see what is being discussed before you spout your gibberish.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#108570 Jul 20, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No comparison... Christians do not cut off your heads, or smash queers cinder blocks... what a tard!
Again, I was not addressing this question to you.
I see you have returned to disgusting name calling.
Figures.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#108571 Jul 20, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting....
Everyone will know the answer to that...
But I wonder... ALL the NDE's, and stories of God, n Heaven...
Why take chances? Even if God didn't show up, and save me...
I think I'd error on the side cautiousness!
Yep. That is the answer of a frightened, little man.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108572 Jul 20, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me follow your logic. If I tell you something that isn't true I'm either a) lying or b) crazy.
Do you not have room in your equation for other options? For example, what if Jesus didn't say anything about magic or being the son of god? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Mark mentioning the whole "son of god" thing. If not, and since it was the earliest text, that means it is likely that the magical stuff was added later, like I said.
That would mean Jesus might have been sane and might have simply said things that were on par with a modern hippie. Loopy, but not fraudulent. And not necessarily crazy.
Yiago wrote
For example, what if Jesus didn't say anything about magic or being the son of god? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Mark mentioning the whole "son of god" thing. If not, and since it was the earliest text, that means it is likely that the magical stuff was added later, like I said.
Mark 1:1
King James Version (KJV)

1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;

Mark 1:10-11
New International Version (NIV)

10 Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11 And a voice came from heaven:“You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

Mark 13:32 (King James Version)- Bible Gateway

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Mark 14:36
King James Version (KJV)

36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

Guess that eliminates your nonsensical theory
BTW Talking about sanity and mental issues..
Seems that those with greater mental issues are those who do not believe in Christ or God...As you well know

Location hidden

#108573 Jul 21, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yiago wrote
For example, what if Jesus didn't say anything about magic or being the son of god? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember Mark mentioning the whole "son of god" thing. If not, and since it was the earliest text, that means it is likely that the magical stuff was added later, like I said.
Mark 1:1
King James Version (KJV)
1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God;
Mark 1:10-11
New International Version (NIV)
10 Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. 11 And a voice came from heaven:“You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
Mark 13:32 (King James Version)- Bible Gateway
But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.
Mark 14:36
King James Version (KJV)
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.
Guess that eliminates your nonsensical theory
BTW Talking about sanity and mental issues..
Seems that those with greater mental issues are those who do not believe in Christ or God...As you well know
I didn't know ABBA was in the Bible. Why aren't they still popular then?

And no, that doesn't "eliminate my nonsensical theory". I said I wasn't sure if Mark refers to Jesus as the son of god and to correct me if I'm wrong. Or did you skip that part?

The point I was making is that I never said Jesus was a fraud and that there are other possibilities besides fraud and insanity to explain why Jesus did any of the things attributed to him, if he actually lived at all.

I mean, if you prefer to think he was insane or a liar that's your business not mine, know what I mean?
Buzz Kill

Richmond, KY

#108574 Jul 21, 2013
concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
Where is the danger?
Bible stories teach good work ethics and morals. What's wrong with that?
We, as a people, need spirituality in our lives again.
Look at the pain caused by drugs and alcohol abuse. It's because we have fled from morals and are leading glutinous lives!
The common man needs religion to keep himself in line. So does the rich man.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#108577 Jul 21, 2013
Buzz Kill wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the danger?
Bible stories teach good work ethics and morals. What's wrong with that?
Because it also teaches hate, cruelty, war, slavery, and violence against women and children.
It says it's ok to sell your daughter, stone your child, rape and kill those who don't believe like you do.
If you want the land and goats/sheep owned by people in a neighboring country, you have "god's" permission to kill them and take their property, provided they don't believe like you do.
Buzz Kill wrote:
<quoted text> We, as a people, need spirituality in our lives again.
Freedom from the belief in primitive superstitions would make for a better world.
There. Now we have both expressed our opinions.
Buzz Kill wrote:
<quoted text> Look at the pain caused by drugs and alcohol abuse. It's because we have fled from morals and are leading glutinous lives!
Oh, sure. Because "believers" would never take drugs or abuse alcohol.
**eyeroll**
Buzz Kill wrote:
<quoted text> The common man needs religion to keep himself in line. So does the rich man.
You think everyone needs to believe in a mythical sky daddy who is going to punish him/her if he/she doesn't behave? Ridiculous.
If Yahweh appeared tomorrow and said, "Hey, do whatever you want to do! No punishment ever!" are you going to go out to steal, rape, and pillage?
If so, you were never a moral person to begin with.

Ethics and morals come from being able to empathize with others.
To treat others the way you want to be treated.
No religion is necessary for that.

The most ethical people I know are atheists.
They know that they are responsible for their actions.
They don't get to simply apologize to Yahweh and get "forgiven."
its obvious

United States

#108583 Jul 21, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>Because it also teaches hate, cruelty, war, slavery, and violence against women and children.
It says it's ok to sell your daughter, stone your child, rape and kill those who don't believe like you do.
If you want the land and goats/sheep owned by people in a neighboring country, you have "god's" permission to kill them and take their property, provided they don't believe like you do.

Buzz Kill wrote, "<quoted text> We, as a people, need spirituality in our lives again."

Freedom from the belief in primitive superstitions would make for a better world.
There. Now we have both expressed our opinions.

Buzz Kill wrote, "<quoted text> Look at the pain caused by drugs and alcohol abuse. It's because we have fled from morals and are leading glutinous lives! "

Oh, sure. Because "believers" would never take drugs or abuse alcohol.
**eyeroll**

Buzz Kill wrote, "<quoted text> The common man needs religion to keep himself in line. So does the rich man. "

You think everyone needs to believe in a mythical sky daddy who is going to punish him/her if he/she doesn't behave? Ridiculous.
If Yahweh appeared tomorrow and said, "Hey, do whatever you want to do! No punishment ever!" are you going to go out to steal, rape, and pillage?
If so, you were never a moral person to begin with.

Ethics and morals come from being able to empathize with others.
To treat others the way you want to be treated.
No religion is necessary for that.

The most ethical people I know are atheists.
They know that they are responsible for their actions.
They don't get to simply apologize to Yahweh and get "forgiven."
You have been deceived. The day will come in which you will regret these very words.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#108584 Jul 21, 2013
its obvious wrote:
<quoted text>
You have been deceived. The day will come in which you will regret these very words.
You have been zombified. The day will come in which you will evidence even less brain activity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local woman's club member steals from kids 16 min Cooter 5
Roark Meats or the Slaughter house (Feb '13) 1 hr good night 25
Oasis has a walker working there 1 hr trish 5
barbourville mafia (Oct '14) 1 hr Barnyards mafia 24
married men 1 hr Disgusted 21
Ernie McIntyre (Dec '09) 2 hr X man 5
Abortion 4 hr Okay 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages