Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 130,986

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
happy

Lexington, KY

#108193 Jul 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Actually most shallow thinkers wash their belly buttons.....
And u know this because..
happy

Lexington, KY

#108194 Jul 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Magic. Like believing in talking snakes and people rising from the grave. Magic.

The idea of a universe from nothing is rooted in scientific evidence. Truth is we don't know how the universe got started...yet. But we sure as hell don't revert to magical thinking to fill in the void of our ignorance.

Science takes time and actual work.
U r behind on your "scientific evidence"
happy

Lexington, KY

#108195 Jul 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it.
Always asking for proof and then dismissing it
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108196 Jul 8, 2013
Morgan Freeman wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a complete idiot.
Morgan,You know better than that.
Prerequisites for being a complete idiot include being an atheist and believing in evolution.
Instead of studying the rocks on the ground,you guys need someone to study the rocks in your head...
That medicinal marihuana is having an adverse effect on your few functioning brain cells.
BTW, How many different nicknames do you post under?
A good gardener will take care of the plants
While scoundrels,Atheists,Evolutioni sts and scalawags will smoke them
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108197 Jul 8, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor curious. If you weren't such a vile, hateful, little monster I'd probably feel actual sympathy for you. But, your incessant false accusations, insane ramblings threats, and just downright nastiness makes that nearly impossible.
Still, I'd like to know... what is it that you think I'm lying about?
And..you just admitted that you know Chromiuman and I are not the same person. Yet, you still make that accusation. Why is that? What do you think I stand to benefit from posting as two separate people?
<quoted text>
See what I mean? A rotten little monster, you are. Full of hate and wickedness.
<quoted text>
Been there, done that. I've told you this before. I grew up believing in your god. I started questioning things when I was around 17.
My life has been improving ever since.
Oddly emough,it seems all you Atheists conveniently claim to be former believers.
What did you believe in and how did you come by your beliefs remain unanswered questions.
A plant with no roots will not blossom.
Some of the things you should be questioning now are
1)Why do Atheists have highest rates of suicide?

2)Why are 25% of Atheist families attending religious services

3) Why are 70% of children raised by unbelievers converting to believers when they reach adulthood.

It most assuredly seems that being foolish enough not to believe in God is not the solution,,,Yet you claim your life is improving?

BTW,I see you did not like my Cliff remark...
Invitation withdrawn....But,,,my last name is Lake....
Feel free to jump in anytime...Under any of your nicks
Weality

London, KY

#108198 Jul 8, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
WE HAVE... Lol. U r still BLIND.. As a BAT lol
as an OLD as darkage dirt bat, bat.
uuummm

London, KY

#108199 Jul 8, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>No you tard....
Lets try this on your level...'It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones."

You are offensive and you continue to be so on purpose. Why? Do you think that shows Christs's love somehow? What is your reasoning for continuing this behavior? Attention? Couldn't be ignorance, you have been shown why it is offensive over and over and you refuse to stop.

What it shows to me is that you have no reasoning power. You are unwilling to learn. You do not really care how your words hurt others, you just want to talk to make a sound, as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. Empty words, void of charity. You cannot even hope to uphold Christ and his teachings when you refuse to have empathy for your fellow man.

Your behavior disgusting and other Christians should be ashamed and call you out on it!
uuummm

London, KY

#108200 Jul 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Oddly emough,it seems all you Atheists conveniently claim to be former believers.
What did you believe in and how did you come by your beliefs remain unanswered questions.
A plant with no roots will not blossom.
Some of the things you should be questioning now are
2)Why are 25% of Atheist families attending religious services
3) Why are 70% of children raised by unbelievers converting to believers when they reach adulthood.
It most assuredly seems that being foolish enough not to believe in God is not the solution,,,Yet you claim your life is improving?
BTW,I see you did not like my Cliff remark...
Invitation withdrawn....But,,,my last name is Lake....
Feel free to jump in anytime...Under any of your nicks

If that is true, I would imagine it would be because they look at death differently than theists.

2)Why are 25% of Atheist families attending religious services?

Maybe, sense of community, tradition, or because they really want to be open minded and give their children a chance to learn about religion. I bet their are several folks in any congregation that are atheist or agnostic. The keep up appearance so they don't hurt family or loved ones or they just have not figured out how to break ties to a community that has held such a big place in their lives.

This article explains it a little better:

"Where did that 30% number come from? When the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life conducted its massive U.S. Religious Landscape Survey, only 432 people surveyed said they were raised as atheists — a very low number. Of that batch, only 131 of them still considered themselves to be atheists. That’s 30%.
But where did the rest of the people raised as atheists go? According to a Georgetown University (Catholic) research blog,“Of those raised as Atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan.” Also, 20% became Agnostics or “Unaffiliated.”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108201 Jul 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Conveniently? I think you're using another word to which you don't understand the meaning. There was nothing convenient about my, or my families faith.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I, like most people of faith, was born into it. My parents brought me to church, ensured I attended bible school, and had long talks with me about the glory of your god. And I, being a good boy and impressionable young lad gobbled it up...that is, until my cup runneth over and I couldn't stomach anymore nonsense.
And now, my eyes are open. I've been saved! My salvation was rational thought. It all started with one little question: "Where did god come from?"
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
...Yet you claim your life is improving?
It is, it has been, and I see no reason to believe it won't continue to do so.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
....But,,,my last name is Lake....
Feel free to jump in anytime..
I know that you're "curious" and all, but I thought I was clear the last time you did this; I am not interested in you that way. I'm not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Please stop sending me invitations and making sexual advances towards me under the guise of insults. Your "curiosity" is going to get you into trouble if you're not careful.

Location hidden

#108202 Jul 8, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Always asking for proof and then dismissing it
How can any of us dismiss that which is never given? Show me one example of anyone on here providing "proof" of what you claim and I'll happily apologize.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108203 Jul 8, 2013
happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait till u c our make believe..
Earth to happy... Your make believe is what half this thread is about.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108205 Jul 8, 2013
<quoted text>
Conveniently?
<quoted text>
I, like most people of faith, was born into it. My parents brought me to church, ensured I attended bible school, and had long talks with me about the glory of your god. And I, being a good boy and impressionable young lad gobbled it up...that is, until my cup runneth over and I couldn't stomach anymore nonsense.
And now, my eyes are open. I've been saved! My salvation was rational thought. It all started with one little question: "Where did god come from?"
<quoted text>

Says I,let me make sure I understood you correctly.
Your parents brought you to church,enrolled you in bible study and had long talks with you about the glory of their God.
You gobbled it all up until you could no longer stomach their nonsense,which led to your becoming an Atheist.
Now,the real possibility exists that,your children will gobble up the nonsense you are teaching them and as they mature into adults,they may very well start seeking the God you have told them does not exist.
It may turn out that your children will become one of the greatest blessings God has bestowed on you...
I certainly hope so...

<quoted text>
I know that you're "curious" and all, but I thought I was clear the last time you did this; I am not interested in you that way. I'm not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Please stop sending me invitations and making sexual advances towards me under the guise of insults. Your "curiosity" is going to get you into trouble if you're not careful.
BTW

I do not know if this has ever occured to you but,serious is an imaginary character that I made up.
he is neither gay or nongay..He simply ISN"T....
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108206 Jul 8, 2013
uuummm wrote:
<quoted text>
If that is true, I would imagine it would be because they look at death differently than theists.
2)Why are 25% of Atheist families attending religious services?
Maybe, sense of community, tradition, or because they really want to be open minded and give their children a chance to learn about religion. I bet their are several folks in any congregation that are atheist or agnostic. The keep up appearance so they don't hurt family or loved ones or they just have not figured out how to break ties to a community that has held such a big place in their lives.
This article explains it a little better:
"Where did that 30% number come from? When the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life conducted its massive U.S. Religious Landscape Survey, only 432 people surveyed said they were raised as atheists — a very low number. Of that batch, only 131 of them still considered themselves to be atheists. That’s 30%.
But where did the rest of the people raised as atheists go? According to a Georgetown University (Catholic) research blog,“Of those raised as Atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan.” Also, 20% became Agnostics or “Unaffiliated.”
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/...
The moment you sprinkle your comments with" I would imagine's, maybes,if this were true leads one to believe you are voicing your opinion,not to be confused with facts.
What I believe is that Atheists are finding an empty space which Atheism is unable to fill and are looking for real answers to life's problems...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108207 Jul 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The moment you sprinkle your comments with" I would imagine's, maybes,if this were true leads one to believe you are voicing your opinion,not to be confused with facts.
What I believe is that Atheists are finding an empty space which Atheism is unable to fill and are looking for real answers to life's problems...
Maybe the Abrahamic God is real? Perhaps the Bible is true? I imagine those who are devoutly religious are not brain damaged? It could be that God responds to prayer?

Nah.... just teasing, Bonzo.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108208 Jul 8, 2013
<quoted text>

<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Says I,let me make sure I understood you correctly.
Your parents brought you to church,enrolled you in bible study and had long talks with you about the glory of their God.
You gobbled it all up until you could no longer stomach their nonsense,which led to your becoming an Atheist.
Now,the real possibility exists that,your children will gobble up the nonsense you are teaching them and as they mature into adults,they may very well start seeking the God you have told them does not exist.
It may turn out that your children will become one of the greatest blessings God has bestowed on you...
I certainly hope so...
uuummm

London, KY

#108209 Jul 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, of course it is my opinion. I can't go ask the participants in the study for more details.

Location hidden

#108211 Jul 8, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>Do you believe that all bible translations that contain these supposed errors and that the translators of these errant bibles may have sinned against the Holy Spirit? What do you believe is a sin against the Holy Spirit?
Good question. I don't think you can sin against the Holy Spirit. There is just sin. Sin goes against righteousness, which means it is contrary to any of the members of the Godhead.

I think that most errors in the Bible were not intentional. I think even the Council in Nicea were, for the most part, trying to figure out the doctrine to the best of their ability. But none of them had access to a prophet, the Gift of the Holy Ghost, or the priesthood. So they reasoned amongst themselves as best they could and made decisions on doctrinal questions. And most of the stories of the Old Testament are not believed to be written by the people that experienced them. So there could be inaccuracies there too that come from verbal pass downs. I don't think I would consider it sin unless someone knowingly translated something wrong.

Location hidden

#108212 Jul 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Who's "we"?

And how convenient.
Mormons.

I never claimed the Bible was inerrant
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#108213 Jul 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Now you claim their is absolutely no evidence for evolution?
I have no idea what you think "evidence" is, so I really have no idea where to start with this.
I think the fossil evidence found shows, evolution of animals and plants occur. It is clear that in the distant past, animals lived that look very close to what the animals that lived after them looked like. This happened in a progression that confirms the idea all the way to modern humans. We humans look very much like apes, and even have extremely close DNA relations.
Other than a larger brain, less hair, and walking upright, their is little to nothing different about us and apes.
We can see adaptations being naturally selected. This can be tested and seen virtually before our eyes in viruses and bacteria.
I get that you cannot put the pieces of evidence together to conclude animals and plants evolve, but to claim their is no evidence that points to the theory being true is just an extreme denial of the facts.
Copied from the book; "Life How Did It Get Here? By Evolution? Or By Creation? Published by Jehovah's Witnesses
Chapter 5
Letting the Fossil Record Speak
FOSSILS are the remains of ancient forms of life preserved in the earth’s crust. These may be skeletons or parts of them such as bones, teeth or shells. A fossil also may be some trace of the activity of what was once alive, such as an imprint or trail. Many fossils no longer contain their original material but are made up of mineral deposits that have infiltrated them and have taken on their shape.
2 Why are fossils important to evolution? Geneticist G. L. Stebbins noted a major reason:“No biologist has actually seen the origin by evolution of a major group of organisms.”1 So, living things on earth today are not seen to be evolving into something else. Instead, they are all complete in form and distinct from other types. As geneticist Theodosius Dobzhansky observed:“The living world is not a single array . . . connected by unbroken series of intergrades.”2 And Charles Darwin conceded that “the distinctness of specific [living] forms and their not being blended together by innumerable transitional links, is a very obvious difficulty.”3
3 Thus, the distinct varieties of things now alive offer no support to the theory of evolution. That is why the fossil record became so important. It was felt that at least fossils would provide the confirmation that the theory of evolution needed.
(continued)
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#108214 Jul 8, 2013
What to Look For
4 If evolution were a fact, the fossil evidence would surely reveal a gradual changing from one kind of life into another. And that would have to be the case regardless of which variation of evolutionary theory is accepted. Even scientists who believe in the more rapid changes associated with the “punctuated equilibrium” theory acknowledge that there would still have been many thousands of years during which these changes supposedly took place. So it is not reasonable to believe that there would be no need at all for linking fossils.
5 Also, if evolution were founded in fact, the fossil record would be expected to reveal beginnings of new structures in living things. There should be at least some fossils with developing arms, legs, wings, eyes, and other bones and organs. For instance, there should be fish fins changing into amphibian legs with feet and toes, and gills changing into lungs. There should be reptiles with front limbs changing into bird wings, back limbs changing into legs with claws, scales changing into feathers, and mouths changing into horny beaks.
6 In this regard the British journal New Scientist says of the theory:“It predicts that a complete fossil record would consist of lineages of organisms showing gradual change continuously over long periods of time.”4 As Darwin himself asserted:“The number of intermediate varieties, which have formerly existed,[must] be truly enormous.”5
7 On the other hand, if the Genesis creation account is factual, then the fossil record would not show one type of life turning into another. It would reflect the Genesis statement that each different type of living thing would reproduce only “according to its kind.”(Genesis 1:11, 12, 21, 24, 25) Also, if living things came into being by an act of creation, there would be no partial, unfinished bones or organs in the fossil record. All fossils would be complete and highly complex, as living things are today.
8 In addition, if living things were created, they would be expected to appear suddenly in the fossil record, unconnected to anything before them. And if this was found to be true, what then? Darwin frankly admitted:“If numerous species . . . have really started into life at once, the fact would be fatal to the theory of evolution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min hahaha 4,316
Republicans have tunnel vision!! 13 min Limbertwig 67
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 14 min Uncle Tab 152,985
Henson Hollow 33 min live in the holler 10
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr Man From The Edge... 26,252
Beverly 1 hr Stacy 10
Heather Cole 2 hr justsayin 8
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••