Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,570

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
xxx

Lexington, KY

#108257 Jul 10, 2013
Ok

“I was born a poor, black child”

Since: Jan 07

that weren't no easy thing

#108258 Jul 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were an Atheist,what I would consider to be pathetic is the fact that 255 OF Atheists attend church hoping to find an answer to that which they claim not to believe in.
Obviously,they are disenchanted with the inane spoutings that they had accepted as valid.
That many of your children,when they grow into adulthood,disavow their former Atheist beliefs would lead me to question why that is.
And you,foolish one,need to understand that my faith is not based on the absurd opinions you have expressed.
Those foolish opinions are what you base your unbelief on.
Hmmm...I wonder what percentage of self-proclaimed christians DON'T attend church...
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108259 Jul 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Pathetic.
Your God >was created< by humans in man's image, and it is only kept "alive" in the minds of humans who are susceptible to the emo-mental frailty of drones like yourself.
You believe, you want, you feel, you judge, you preconceive - you do not discern, you do not think, you do not perceive and you definitely don't know.
There is no reason to be impressed with Denton's marveling at biochemistry, and certainly there is no rationality in leaping from that to Goddiditwithmagic.
An airliner is not a virus, microbe, gnat or human. It is not in any way, shape or form proof of intelligent design in nature. Just like your deity, it is nothing more or less than a purpose built man-made construct.
Intelligent design in nature would have more to do with examples such as da Vinci's Vitruvian man, based on the prinicples of PHI, would it not?

The comparisons then being based on airliners (like MANY other things) are indeed engineered mathematically as well...and tt's a pretty impressive sight to behold a 747 carrying a space shuttle, when anyone actuallt stops to THINK, just what went INTO making such possible.

And imagine, if ancient civilizations had NOT recorded some of what they had seen, heard, thought and felt. Lucky for us, AND modern SCIENCE-that indeed some DID,because such certainly makes for interesting contemplation and study!

Interesting article(edited for length)

Israeli archaeologists say a 3,000-year-old fragment of a ceramic jar found near Jerusalem's Temple Mount, dating back to the days of King David and King Solomon, bears a mysterious inscription that ranks as the earliest alphabetical written text ever found in the city.

The inscription is incised into the clay of a neckless ceramic jar found at Jerusalem's Ophel excavation site. The text is in the Canaanite language, which predates Israelite rule and the prevalence of Hebrew script.....

....The archaeologists said the fragment bearing the inscription was found along with pieces of six other large jars of the same type. All those fragments were used to stabilize the earth fill under the second floor of the building in which they were discovered, which dates to the 10th century B.C.— the era when Jerusalem was ruled by David and Solomon, two of the Bible's best-known figures.

The composition of the clay suggests that the makings for the jars originated in the central hill country near Jerusalem. Ahituv said the inscription is not complete: The full text probably wound around the jar's shoulder, and the fragment shows the end of the text, plus the first letter from the beginning. The archaeologists say it may have been written by one of Jerusalem's Jebusite residents. According to the Bible, the Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe who inhabited the city before David's conquest.

If the dating for the fragment is correct, the age of the inscription would rival other examples of proto-Canaanite inscriptions ever found — including a controversial text found on a fragment of pottery unearthed at the Hirbet Qeiyafa dig southwest of Jerusalem. Although that text was also written using Canaanite characters, archaeologists have suggested that it includes Hebrew words and thus represents the oldest known Hebrew inscription.

The inscription that Mazar and her colleagues describe is about 250 years older than the earliest Hebrew inscription found in Jerusalem. The Ophel excavation site lies in an area of Jerusalem known as the City of David, beyond the southern edge of the Temple Mount.

Boyle,A. "Inscription dates back to King David – but what does it say?" NBCNews. SCIENCE. 7/10/2013

(That's RIGHT-it IS a SCIENCE too!!)
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108260 Jul 10, 2013
treebeard wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...I wonder what percentage of self-proclaimed christians DON'T attend church...
Probably quite a good little percentage.

Just because a car isn't in a garage, doesn't mean it's not a car.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108261 Jul 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
And then the Fairy Godmother waved her magic wand and a unicorn farted a rainbow.
The end.
No comparison what-so-ever... totally different classification..and that's to the SANE, Logical and rational anyway.

http://www.eurekalert.org/multimedia/pub/5891...

Cool huh?(one of those things where no faith is actually required-what you see is what it is!)
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108262 Jul 10, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
When you "obey God" you are obeying men. You just haven't realized it.
Debatable-because some men say really stupid things--and why would anyone listen to stupid?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108263 Jul 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! 255 atheists go to church?! I thought it would be more.
Note that the senile windbag doesn't qualify any of his ravings. What reasons would an atheist have for going to church, and what kind of church does it have to be? How often does the atheist go to church - weekly, annually? I've been to xmas services, weddings, funeral services, christenings, baptisms, chorals and concerts. That would qualify me as a church going atheist on a short form questionnaire.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#108264 Jul 10, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligent design in nature would have more to do with examples such as da Vinci's Vitruvian man, based on the prinicples of PHI, would it not?
The comparisons then being based on airliners (like MANY other things) are indeed engineered mathematically as well...and tt's a pretty impressive sight to behold a 747 carrying a space shuttle, when anyone actuallt stops to THINK, just what went INTO making such possible.
And imagine, if ancient civilizations had NOT recorded some of what they had seen, heard, thought and felt. Lucky for us, AND modern SCIENCE-that indeed some DID,because such certainly makes for interesting contemplation and study!
Interesting article(edited for length)
Israeli archaeologists say a 3,000-year-old fragment of a ceramic jar found near Jerusalem's Temple Mount, dating back to the days of King David and King Solomon, bears a mysterious inscription that ranks as the earliest alphabetical written text ever found in the city.
The inscription is incised into the clay of a neckless ceramic jar found at Jerusalem's Ophel excavation site. The text is in the Canaanite language, which predates Israelite rule and the prevalence of Hebrew script.....
....The archaeologists said the fragment bearing the inscription was found along with pieces of six other large jars of the same type. All those fragments were used to stabilize the earth fill under the second floor of the building in which they were discovered, which dates to the 10th century B.C.— the era when Jerusalem was ruled by David and Solomon, two of the Bible's best-known figures.
The composition of the clay suggests that the makings for the jars originated in the central hill country near Jerusalem. Ahituv said the inscription is not complete: The full text probably wound around the jar's shoulder, and the fragment shows the end of the text, plus the first letter from the beginning. The archaeologists say it may have been written by one of Jerusalem's Jebusite residents. According to the Bible, the Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe who inhabited the city before David's conquest.
If the dating for the fragment is correct, the age of the inscription would rival other examples of proto-Canaanite inscriptions ever found — including a controversial text found on a fragment of pottery unearthed at the Hirbet Qeiyafa dig southwest of Jerusalem. Although that text was also written using Canaanite characters, archaeologists have suggested that it includes Hebrew words and thus represents the oldest known Hebrew inscription.
The inscription that Mazar and her colleagues describe is about 250 years older than the earliest Hebrew inscription found in Jerusalem. The Ophel excavation site lies in an area of Jerusalem known as the City of David, beyond the southern edge of the Temple Mount.
Boyle,A. "Inscription dates back to King David – but what does it say?" NBCNews. SCIENCE. 7/10/2013
(That's RIGHT-it IS a SCIENCE too!!)
I appreciate the historical record that was left by the ancients, but that's not remotely close to LITERALLY WORSHIPING it.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108265 Jul 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! 255 atheists go to church?! I thought it would be more.
255 OUT OF EVERY THOUSAND,Roughly about 25%...
And they attend a religious service on a weekly basis.

And if you want more information on it,go right to the horse's mouth.
Interview your Atheist acquaintances and ask them "what are you seeking at religious services that Atheism has failed to provide?
You might also want to ask your adult children the same question.
Don't get me wrong,I am not criticizing those church going nonbelievers who are looking for real answers in this life.
Matter of fact,it is great to see they are finally dealing with reality.... May God bless them all...
I believe that would make them very happy...
An answer for that which they are seeking
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#108266 Jul 10, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Appears that you have sexual predators praying on children in your church.
The Watchtower Org tried to cover it up like the Catholic church. Watchtower ordered to pay 11 million to the victim in this case.
Candace Conti Awarded $28M In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Case
HUFFPOST SUPER USER
Thom Wheeler Castillo
DO you know how many Jehovah's witnesses kids I know have been molested by someone they knew in their congregation? How many victims were shamed/gossiped about when they came forward to the elders? And were then told to forgive their abuser?? I can think of at least 20, including myself.
Maybe now I have a sense of JUSTICE THAT THIS ORGANIZATION IS FINALLY BEING EXPOSED FOR COVERING UP 10,000's of instances OF SEXUALLY ABUSED CHILDREN.
They're more concerned with their image than keeping children safe.
This religious group really thinks theyre chosen people of god and inflated sense of self makes them accomplices to vile actions of their repressed leaders.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/16/cali...
I have been one of Jehovah's Witnesses for over 40 years and I am not aware of any of the accusations you make! What is your source of information?
May I ask what were you desfelloowshipped for? Evidently you are very bitter and are trying to retaliate.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108267 Jul 11, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My faith is not based on nosensical theories that are imagined in order to expalin spititual events that were revealed by God through his prophets.
Nowhere do they claim to speak of their own authority,but as the spirit guided them.
Let me ask you this: What proof do you have that your faith is the right faith? How do you know that the Muslims aren't right? Why not the Jews? Or the Hindus? They all can claim the same thing as you. What makes you so sure you're worshiping the right god?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in god,I believe in Jesus Christ,not based on a theory,but on my personal experiences.
You Atheists are unable to accept or understand.
So you mock thay which is beyond your limited comprehension.
Oh, but we do understand. We understand everything that you're experiencing. I don't know how many times I've tried to explain this to you, but...just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they don't understand what you're saying. How could you possibly make it this far in life and not get that?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Case closed
Somehow, I don't think so.

Location hidden

#108268 Jul 11, 2013
I found a pic of curious and his wife out to dinner:

"We're getting the calamari for our appetizer. CASE CLOSED"
http://static.happyplace.com/assets/images/20...

Location hidden

#108269 Jul 11, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
255 OUT OF EVERY THOUSAND,Roughly about 25%...
And they attend a religious service on a weekly basis.
Well, that would be exactly 25.5% which is an oddly specific percentage. Where did you get it from?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you want more information on it,go right to the horse's mouth.
Interview your Atheist acquaintances ...
Oh, that's right. You made it up.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#108270 Jul 11, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that would be exactly 25.5% which is an oddly specific percentage. Where did you get it from?
<quoted text>
Oh, that's right. You made it up.
http://www.churchleaders.com/pastors/pastor-a...
GWB

Roseville, CA

#108273 Jul 11, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been one of Jehovah's Witnesses for over 40 years and I am not aware of any of the accusations you make! What is your source of information?
May I ask what were you desfelloowshipped for? Evidently you are very bitter and are trying to retaliate.
You must be an idiot. Did you read the link I provided. Please take your head out of your ass, Dummy.
so true

United States

#108274 Jul 11, 2013
Good to know you are all still here. So today to you all,,,"A-HAs"
to each of you , A Hug and a Smile
Good day :)
uuummm

East Bernstadt, KY

#108276 Jul 11, 2013
Here is more about what the study says about the unaffiliated:

"The Landscape Survey finds that the unaffiliated population
is quite diverse and that it is simply not accurate to describe
this entire group as nonreligious or “secular.” Roughly one quarter of the unaffiliated population identifies itself as
atheist (1.6% of the overall adult population) or agnostic
(2.4% of the adult population). But the remaining three quarters (12.1% of the adult population) consists of people
who describe their religion as “nothing in particular.”(A
fuller discussion of the religious beliefs and practices of
the unaffiliated population will be included in a subsequent
report.)
This latter group consists of two smaller, fairly distinct subgroups. About half of people who
describe their religion as nothing in particular (6.3% of the overall adult population) say that
religion is not too important or not at all important in their lives. Thus, they can be thought of as
being mostly secular in their orientation. But the other half of this group (5.8% of adults) says that
religion is somewhat important or very important in their lives, despite their lack of affiliation with
any particular religious group. Thus, this group can be thought of as the “religious unaffiliated.”
(Differences in the demographic characteristics of the religious unaffiliated and their more secular
counterparts are discussed in more detail in Chapter 3.)"

On page 4 of the link above it says:

"As mentioned previously, the group that has exhibited the strongest growth as a result of
changes in affiliation is the unaffiliated population. Nevertheless, the overall retention rate of the
unaffiliated population is relatively low (46%) compared with other groups. This means that more
than half (54%) of those who were not affiliated with any particular religion as a child now identify
themselves as members of one religion or another."

But, as seen above, unaffiliated does not necessarily mean atheist. This just means that the "nothing in particular" folk may have chosen something particular.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108277 Jul 11, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I appreciate the historical record that was left by the ancients, but that's not remotely close to LITERALLY WORSHIPING it.
Like materialistic, idoltry type worshipping stuff?

Yeah-that kind of thing isn't good either.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108279 Jul 11, 2013
Believing in God could lead to better outcomes after psychiatric treatment, a small new study suggests.

The research, published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, shows that people who believe in a higher power are more likely to fare better after being treated for a psychiatric disorder.

"Given the prevalence of religious belief in the United States -- over 90 [percent] of the population -- these findings are important in that they highlight the clinical implications of spiritual life," study researcher David H. Rosmarin, Ph.D., who is an instructor in the Harvard Medical School's psychiatric department and a clinician at McLean hospital, said in a statement. "I hope that this work will lead to larger studies and increased funding in order to help as many people as possible."

The study included 159 people who were in a day-treatment program at McLean Hospital, who had an average age of 33. About 60 percent of them had been diagnosed with depression, about 12 percent had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and the others were diagnosed with disorders including anxiety disorders.

Researchers asked the study participants about the level of their belief in God -- gauged as having "no," "slight," "moderate" or "high" beliefs -- at the beginning of their treatment, as well as their depression, well-being and self-harm levels at the beginning and end of their treatment.

They found that people who said they believed in God had better chances of responding to their psychiatric treatment, compared with non-believers. Specifically, people who said they had "no" or "slight" belief in God had a doubled risk of not responding to their treatment.

Plus, researchers found that even those who believed in God but weren't religiously affiliated -- which constituted more than 30 percent of the people in the study -- still experienced the positive treatment outcomes.

"As a whole these findings suggest that belief in God is associated with improved treatment outcomes in psychiatric care," the researchers wrote in the study. "More centrally, our results suggest that belief in the credibility of psychiatric treatment and increased expectations to gain from treatment might be mechanisms by which belief in God can impact treatment outcomes."

Similarly, a University of Missouri study from last year showed that being spiritual is associated with better health, regardless of whether you actually ascribe to a particular religion.

"With increased spirituality people reduce their sense of self and feel a greater sense of oneness and connectedness with the rest of the universe," the researcher of that study, Dan Cohen, said in a statement.
sillly lady

London, KY

#108280 Jul 11, 2013
I am not copying stuff down from a book. As you can tell.....All I know for sure was that when Anton Levey (probably spelled that wrong too) was dying he suddenly converted and was praying to the Christian god. He was also saying stuff like "Oh no! This is not right. It isnt this way."
Take it any way you want but to me if Satans spawn here on earth cries out to God and Jesus.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
is megan rogers still married to matt 8 min serious 1
Quantummist real name is Paul Mays 1 hr Dee 6
Darren k west please pick up political signs 2 hr Catron ave 7
Darren k west come to catron ave get your signs 2 hr Catron ave 3
Darren west pick up your Election signs PLEASE... 3 hr No respect 18
Mayor Darren west come get political signs 3 hr Please Darren west 3
Barbourville High School 4 hr Kickingwolf 5
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Mon beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match