Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 167629 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#108329 Jul 14, 2013
I see no one voted on my use of the word "Tard".
Too bad too, as I had this thing about doing the
"Will of the People" all worked out!

To those of you that Don't WANT to believe in a God...
So be it! Go... Live your lives!
To those of you that Believe you know that there is
no God... You are just ignorant of Him!
God is real... He saved me!
If you have a question about Gods existence...
Ask Him, Seek Him...
You WILL be glad you did!

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#108330 Jul 14, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
I see no one voted on my use of the word "Tard".
Too bad too, as I had this thing about doing the
"Will of the People" all worked out!
Silly man. You are well known for lying so no one really believes you will do what you say. Your "god" will tell you it's ok to use the disgusting term "tard" ...no matter what we say.
A moral conscience and a bit of empathy should tell you it's NOT ok.
Yes and Amen wrote:
To those of you that Don't WANT to believe in a God...
So be it! Go... Live your lives!
To those of you that Believe you know that there is
no God... You are just ignorant of Him!
"To those of you that WANT to believe in a god...So be it!
Live your lives!(But keep out of other people's lives)
To those of you that believe you that that there is a god...You are just ignorant!"

^^^^We could both say these lines ad infinitum. Does it make any difference?

Do you really think you are helping anyone to believe in your fantasy by posting here?
You blather on about "proof."
How you are "saved" from some vague imaginary threat.
Why don't you tell us how you are a better person because of your imaginary "forgiveness?"

Don't tell us what you DON'T do...like drugs and homosexual sex.

Tell us what you DO to make the world a better place because you are in it.
(besides posting your nonsense on Topix, that is..*chuckle*)

By the way, you still drink, don't you?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108331 Jul 14, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"You see this sort of thing a lot with people who are confused or whose worldview is not well hashed out."
No... you see this kind of thing, when...
People get tired of the lies people, and satan spread...
Filling the gaps with "God didn't do it!", and having only one true explanation to make things right, not to mention the agendas of the un-righteous rub you raw after awhile!
God bless all who comes to Him!
Amen!
Lame attempt to reverse the burden of proof. If you had a shred of intelligence you would recognize how stupid this sounds.

"Filling the gaps with "god didn't do it""?? Are you serious?

I'm asking you seriously if you are on medication for a mental disorder. I'm just curious about that. Your posts are irrational and I have a feeling you might suffer from some sort of problem. If so, I hope you are getting help.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108332 Jul 14, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not trying to make god "disaooear", whatever the hell that means. I don't believe in gods so I really don't care.
Regarding Jesus, why do you think "they have no reason to lie" is good evidence?
If you believe then OK. I don't really care. But if you also make actual claims about reality (MY reality too) and you vote in such a way as to promote your claims then I do care. Because this is my world too and my kids live in it.
So if your claims fail the test of reason, I reject them. Pretty simple.
You want me to believe a guy died, rose again, and performed magic spells simply because it is written in an old book?
Hell no. That wouldn't stand up to clown court.
I have never asked you to believe anything.
Moreover,it would be a waste of time to expect someone to believe in something they are unable to grasp.
It is your world and your kids live in it.
Hopefully,when reaching adulthood,they will follow in the steps of those many children who are raised as Atheists and become believers.
In addition,it would serve them well,if,they sought to address the mental problems afficting unbelievers,High suicide rate,High drug usage and other mental issues...
It seems that Atheists are neither willing or able to address those issues....

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#108333 Jul 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

Hopefully,when reaching adulthood,they will follow in the steps of those many children who are raised as Atheists and become believers.
In addition,it would serve them well,if,they sought to address the mental problems afficting unbelievers,High suicide rate,High drug usage and other mental issues...
Legitimate sources, please.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108334 Jul 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never asked you to believe anything.
Moreover,it would be a waste of time to expect someone to believe in something they are unable to grasp.
It is your world and your kids live in it.
It seems that Atheists are neither willing or able to address those issues....
Facts and data or you're just a sad troll. Sources. Links. Science.

Without it you're just posting silly nonsense.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108335 Jul 14, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>Your comments are interesting and have some basis in religious history, thanks for your reply. Now just a few questions.

If what you said is true about the Holy Spirit, then all good atheist are also among the ones saved. All who are good will be saved. So if those that are good will be save. That doctrine is nicer than the Jehovah Witnesses doctrine and even Yaa's doctrine and many others.

You don't think one can sin against the Holy Spirit, then why would one suffer in hell for all eternity? Something does not sound correct. If you sinned and have to suffer in hell for all eternity then you must have sinned against the Holy Spirit I would think.

Judias Escariot was commsioned as an apostle and had no doubt about the diety of Jesus, yet like Satan turned against him. Would you consider that a deliberate act of treason against God or an act of sin against the Holy Spirit by Judias.
Sin is sin. If you sin, it is against all three members of the Godhead. This is different from denying God or the Holy Spirit.
I do think that someone can deny the Holy Ghost. This means knowing that you have felt the truth that the Holy Spirit brings you, and then denying Him. Denying the Holy Ghost is said to be one of the unpardonable sins.

We believe in three different glories of heaven (as mentioned in the New Testament). If you follow all of God's commandments, then you are worthy to live with Him in the highest glory. If you did not follow all of His commandments, but believe in Jesus Christ and profess Him as the Son of God and your savior, then you are worthy to live in the Terrestrial world where Jesus can reside.
If you did not follow all of God's commandments, and denied that Jesus is the Christ, but never denied the Holy Ghost, then you are worthy to live in the lowest level of heaven where the Holy Ghost can reside.
So it makes sense that if you deny God, you would not be worthy to live with Him. If you deny Christ, you would not enter the glory in which He can reside.

Those that deny the Holy Ghost would be out of the presence of all members of the Godhood which would be Hell. Another term to describe it is Outer Darkness because being away from all three members of the Godhood means there would be no good present.

Judas knew that Jesus was the Christ and denied the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost when he betrayed Jesus. The Holy Ghost left him which caused him to be so miserable that he killed himself. He did it willingly and with full knowledge of the consequences.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108336 Jul 14, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts and data or you're just a sad troll. Sources. Links. Science.
Without it you're just posting silly nonsense.
You and Carl Sagan,one physically dead,both,brain dead...
I have posted the studies that support what I have stated...
If you don't believe it,Google it..
I am not here as your gofer..

Location hidden

#108337 Jul 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You and Carl Sagan,one physically dead,both,brain dead...
I have posted the studies that support what I have stated...
If you don't believe it,Google it..
I am not here as your gofer..
It's YOUR responsibility to cite sources to the information YOU posted.

Otherwise your argument is invalid.

Location hidden

#108338 Jul 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Substantiate your claim with a valid source.
Also, it's spelled Afflicting* and you're supposed to SPACE between COMMAS. How can anyone take you serious when you're not even literate in your native language, and cannot even construct a proper sentence?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108339 Jul 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why not use the phrase, "willfully ignorant"? If you wish to mean what you say, then use the words that are clear.
I am not sure if "tard" is even a word. I am pretty sure it is just slang. Slang that someone refuses to even try to logically show as descriptive of your intended meaning. You are being willfully ignorant to this word.
Mikey, Careful lest you be tard and feathered by the topix moderator for your obnoxious attitude.

Yes and Amen...
If you believe God has saved you,then you need not concern yourself with the opinions of unbelievers.
We do not worry about man's opinion..
We are concerned with how God views us,,,,nothing else

Location hidden

#108340 Jul 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
it would serve them well,if,they sought to address the mental problems afficting unbelievers,High suicide rate,High drug usage and other mental issues...
Why are you dodging my posts? When grown-ups make a claim in exchange for information & ideas, they cite their sources.

Could it be because you're full of shit?
Hookah

Georgetown, KY

#108341 Jul 14, 2013
We have voluntary christian groups in school like FCA. And as far as I'm concerned that is all we need. If only we had it for other religions too

-Prince-

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#108342 Jul 14, 2013
Where is your God? He's the Creator and the Destroyer. You say he created everything but what created God? The creator couldn't have created himself.
Annoyed

Georgetown, KY

#108343 Jul 14, 2013
You call yourself a prince of darkness but you are nothing but a candy ass poser.
With that out of the way, don't bother talking to the steeple about their religion, no one on here will change.

Location hidden

#108344 Jul 14, 2013
Annoyed wrote:
don't bother talking to the steeple about their religion, no one on here will change.
If this message board promoted intelligent discussions and debates instead of a broken, anti-discussion 'judging' system - & didn't attract so many overweight, gossiping coal miners' wives, it could happen.

Hardly anyone on here can even tolerate someone with a different viewpoint than them.
Annoyed

Georgetown, KY

#108345 Jul 14, 2013
But alas, all we can do here is mingle and egg them on for fun
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108347 Jul 14, 2013
Carl Sagan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you dodging my posts? When grown-ups make a claim in exchange for information & ideas, they cite their sources.
http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/a...
Religious Affiliation, Atheism and Suicide

Why are atheists so much more likely to be depressed, commit suicide, and suffer from substance abuse?

In fact children of atheists are 76% more likely to suffer from a major depressive issue.

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/article.aspx...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9334555
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108348 Jul 14, 2013
Carl Sagan wrote:
<quoted text>
"According to researchers from Harvard Medical School, belief in god is correlated with improved outcomes of treatment for depression. Quoting:'In the study, published in the current issue of Journal of Affective Disorders, researchers comment that people with a moderate to high level of belief in a higher power do significantly better in short-term psychiatric treatment than those without. "Belief was associated with not only improved psychological well-being, but decreases in depression and intention to self-harm," says David H. Rosmarin, Ph.D., an instructor in the Department of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.' This raises interesting questions. Does this support the concept of depressive realism? If the association is found to be causal, would it be ethical for a psychiatrist to prescribe religion?"
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#108350 Jul 14, 2013
Carl Sagan wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism and health

“ In an article also published in this issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Mayo Clinic researchers reviewed published studies, meta-analyses, systematic reviews and subject reviews that examined the association between religious involvement and spirituality and physical health, mental health, health-related quality of life and other health outcomes.
The authors report a majority of the nearly 350 studies of physical health and 850 studies of mental health that have used religious and spiritual variables have found that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes.[3]
”

The Iona Institute reported:

“ A meta-analysis of all studies, both published and unpublished, relating to religious involvement and longevity was carried out in 2000. Forty-two studies were included, involving some 126,000 subjects. Active religious involvement increased the chance of living longer by some 29%, and participation in public religious practices, such as church attendance, increased the chance of living longer by 43%.[4][5]”

In December of 2003, the University of Warwick reported:

“ Dr. Stephen Joseph, from the University of Warwick, said: "Religious people seem to have a greater purpose in life, which is why they are happier. Looking at the research evidence, it seems that those who celebrate the Christian meaning of Christmas are on the whole likely to be happier.[6]”

Duke University has established the Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health.[7] The Duke University Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health is based in the Center for Aging at Duke and gives opportunities for scholarly trans-disciplinary conversation and the development of collaborative research projects.[8] In respect to the atheism and mental and physical health, the center offers many studies which suggest that theism is more beneficial than atheism.[9]

The Christian group Teen Challenge reported the following:

“ Teen Challenge claims of a 70% cure rate for the drug addicts graduating from their program attracted the attention of the U.S. Federal Government in 1973. Most secular drug rehabilitation programs only experienced a cure rate of 1-15% of their graduates. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), part of the U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, funded the first year of this study to evaluate the long term results of the Teen Challenge program.[10]”

Currently, there is an ongoing debate regarding whether atheism was a causal factor for Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity or whether it was caused strictly by disease.[12][13]

An article published on the Hong Kong Baptist University website offers the following regarding the cause of Friedrich Nietzsche's insanity:

“ Trying to explain what caused his insanity can only be a matter of speculation. Some people believe it was the result of a physical illness. Others interpret his suffering as that of a true prophet, almost as if he were accepting the punishment on behalf of those who could not see mankind's tendency towards self-destruction so clearly. Still others regard his final fate as a natural outcome of his philosophical outlook.[13]”

The Russian-born psychoanalyst and writer Lou Andreas-Salom้, who had a brief and tempestuous affair with Nietzsche, believed that Nietzsche's philosophy can be viewed as a reflection of his psychology and that his madness was the result of his philosophizing.[14] In addition, the French historian Ren้ Girard asserted that Nietzsche's philosophy led to his insanity.[15]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Knox County Jailer?? 15 min No way 29
Whatdidisay 27 min Salus 3
Thank You Carnell for having Customer Appreciat... 29 min Ghost 5
Homeless methheads 39 min Nuts 3
New sandwich shop 1 hr no way 3
Re Elect Jm Hall VOTE Steve Warren in 2018 1 hr gop 98
City cops! (Nov '15) 1 hr patiently waiting 58
Iknow who got Ronnie Messer busted!!! (Jan '10) Wed UghWhoIsItThen 56

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web