Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 147244 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

curious

Ocoee, FL

#108249 Jul 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know or understand the physics applied to the theory of the "Big Bang" - and to be honest, neither do I. Can I explain how the first rudimentary self replicating "life" formed? No. Before you voice contempt at this in an "aha!" moment, consider that YOU do not know the mind of YOUR OWN god.
You are made of non living matter, non living elements, compounds, chemicals, energy - yet you are "alive." What is life, then? Is a virus alive? All it can do is replicate, even crystals can do that. You, like other brain damaged Bible thumpers would like to claim that evolution, the Big Band and the origin of life are all one ball of wax, regardless of how many >hundreds of times< you've been informed otherwise. True to the Creationist goose-step, you deviously denounce the miraculous emergence of intelligent life from a primordial soup, bypassing any and every stage in between.
There are many things I do not know, but I can trust that others who have studied and researched have specific knowledge that is built upon over time. Can you design and build a turbine or formulate the fuel for one? Can you calculate the drag co-efficiency of a particular airfoil? Can you determine the strengths of alloys, design hydraulic systems or even weave a seat cushion? No. Did the Wright brothers invent the Airbus A380? No. Regardless of this, can you fly in one? Yes.
I can't explain how you can remember to breathe from one second to the next, so I'll borrow from your religie peppered lexicon and pronounce it a MIRACLE.
I know that I was creared from nonliving matter and I know who gave me life.....It most certainly was not due to some unexplainable accident. Accidents are not known to create life.
The explanations that Atheists have provided for the BBT ,origins of life and Evolution consist of non provable and nonwitnessed events that supposedly occured billions of years ago for some unexplainable reason.
Those so called explanations are based on nonsense and gibberish.
But,you brought up some points that need to be clarified.

"Quote"Can you design and build a turbine or formulate the fuel for one?"

Says I No I can not,but,an Engineer,trained in that profession,most assuredly can.
It takes an intelligent being to design and construct such.
Question for you,Can a turbine evolve from scrap metal into a turbine of it's own volition?

Can you calculate the drag co-efficiency of a particular airfoil? Can you determine the strengths of alloys, design hydraulic systems or even weave a seat cushion? No. Did the Wright brothers invent the Airbus A380? No. Regardless of this, can you fly in one? Yes.
Did the airbus miraculously evolve from nothing or,did some intelligent being design and manufacture it?

“Molecular biology has shown that even the simplest of all living systems on the earth today, bacterial cells, are exceedingly complex objects. Although the tiniest bacterial cells are incredibly small, weighing less than 10-12 gms, each is in effect a veritable micro-miniaturized factory containing thousands of exquisitely designed pieces of intricate molecular machinery, made up altogether of one hundred thousand million atoms, far more complicated than any machine built by man and absolutely without parallel in the nonliving world.”
&#8213; Michael Denton, Evolution: A Theory In Crisis
Yes,there is a God.It is he,who created all..
It was neither chance or accident.....

Much to the chagrin and dismay of Atheists,
Our God can not be uncreated by the inane rantings of foolish minds.
Our God lives and Our God reigns and Jesus Christ is Lord

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108250 Jul 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that I was creared from nonliving matter and I know who gave me life....
You don't even know what the word "know" means.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108251 Jul 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
...
The explanations that Atheists have provided for the BBT ,origins of life and Evolution consist of non provable and nonwitnessed events that supposedly occured billions of years ago for some unexplainable reason....
This is what blows my mind with you nutbags. How can you possibly use this as rationale? How is your "theory" provable? Who witnessed the events that you propose happened?

You complain relentlessly that science hasn't exhaustively defined and proven it's theories and then (supposedly because of that) you replace it with something that is outside the scope of reason entirely. You honestly don't see how ludicrous your argument is?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108252 Jul 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that I was creared from nonliving matter and I know who gave me life.....It most certainly was not due to some unexplainable accident. Accidents are not known to create life.
The explanations that Atheists have provided for the BBT ,origins of life and Evolution consist of non provable and nonwitnessed events that supposedly occured billions of years ago for some unexplainable reason.
Those so called explanations are based on nonsense and gibberish.
But,you brought up some points that need to be clarified.
"Quote"Can you design and build a turbine or formulate the fuel for one?"
Says I No I can not,but,an Engineer,trained in that profession,most assuredly can.
It takes an intelligent being to design and construct such.
Question for you,Can a turbine evolve from scrap metal into a turbine of it's own volition?
Can you calculate the drag co-efficiency of a particular airfoil? Can you determine the strengths of alloys, design hydraulic systems or even weave a seat cushion? No. Did the Wright brothers invent the Airbus A380? No. Regardless of this, can you fly in one? Yes.
Did the airbus miraculously evolve from nothing or,did some intelligent being design and manufacture it?
“Molecular biology has shown that even the simplest of all living systems on the earth today, bacterial cells, are exceedingly complex objects. Although the tiniest bacterial cells are incredibly small, weighing less than 10-12 gms, each is in effect a veritable micro-miniaturized factory containing thousands of exquisitely designed pieces of intricate molecular machinery, made up altogether of one hundred thousand million atoms, far more complicated than any machine built by man and absolutely without parallel in the nonliving world.”
&#8213; Michael Denton, Evolution: A Theory In Crisis
Yes,there is a God.It is he,who created all..
It was neither chance or accident.....
Much to the chagrin and dismay of Atheists,
Our God can not be uncreated by the inane rantings of foolish minds.
Our God lives and Our God reigns and Jesus Christ is Lord
Pathetic.
Your God >was created< by humans in man's image, and it is only kept "alive" in the minds of humans who are susceptible to the emo-mental frailty of drones like yourself.
You believe, you want, you feel, you judge, you preconceive - you do not discern, you do not think, you do not perceive and you definitely don't know.
There is no reason to be impressed with Denton's marveling at biochemistry, and certainly there is no rationality in leaping from that to Goddiditwithmagic.
An airliner is not a virus, microbe, gnat or human. It is not in any way, shape or form proof of intelligent design in nature. Just like your deity, it is nothing more or less than a purpose built man-made construct.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108253 Jul 10, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what blows my mind with you nutbags. How can you possibly use this as rationale? How is your "theory" provable? Who witnessed the events that you propose happened?
You complain relentlessly that science hasn't exhaustively defined and proven it's theories and then (supposedly because of that) you replace it with something that is outside the scope of reason entirely. You honestly don't see how ludicrous your argument is?
Whar may be causing your mental blowup is all the magical and delusional events that you have stored up there.
You know what they say,garbage in,garbage out.
My faith is not based on nosensical theories that are imagined in order to expalin spititual events that were revealed by God through his prophets.
Nowhere do they claim to speak of their own authority,but as the spirit guided them.
Atheists try to explain what they don't understand"spiritual matters" by referring to supposedly "natural events"which they also can not explain and do not understand.
If you know nothing about spiritual matters,how can you try to explain them by invoking theories that,by your own admission,you can neither explain or understand.
Not only do you not know,but neither do those who espoused yhose theories.
I believe in god,I believe in Jesus Christ,not based on a theory,but on my personal experiences.
You Atheists are unable to accept or understand.
So you mock thay which is beyond your limited comprehension.
Nevertheless,that has no effect on what I believe to be true.
Again,My god lives and my God reigns and Jesus Christ is lord of all.
Your unbelief has no power to change that reality.
Case closed
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108254 Jul 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Pathetic.
Your God >was created< by humans in man's image, and it is only kept "alive" in the minds of humans who are susceptible to the emo-mental frailty of drones like yourself.
You believe, you want, you feel, you judge, you preconceive - you do not discern, you do not think, you do not perceive and you definitely don't know.
There is no reason to be impressed with Denton's marveling at biochemistry, and certainly there is no rationality in leaping from that to Goddiditwithmagic.
An airliner is not a virus, microbe, gnat or human. It is not in any way, shape or form proof of intelligent design in nature. Just like your deity, it is nothing more or less than a purpose built man-made construct.
If I were an Atheist,what I would consider to be pathetic is the fact that 255 OF Atheists attend church hoping to find an answer to that which they claim not to believe in.
Obviously,they are disenchanted with the inane spoutings that they had accepted as valid.
That many of your children,when they grow into adulthood,disavow their former Atheist beliefs would lead me to question why that is.

And you,foolish one,need to understand that my faith is not based on the absurd opinions you have expressed.
Those foolish opinions are what you base your unbelief on.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108255 Jul 10, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Facts are...
God saved me, and proved Himself to me...
I'm telling you guys my story, so you will not be ashamed when
judgment day comes... it IS coming, and I feel, smart butts like
you will curse yourselves for NOT listening to ALL of us who
KNOWS the truth... No...
Romans 1 says what's with you...
I truly hope that changes!
And then the Fairy Godmother waved her magic wand and a unicorn farted a rainbow.

The end.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#108256 Jul 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were an Atheist,what I would consider to be pathetic is the fact that 255 OF Atheists attend church hoping to find an answer to that which they claim not to believe in.
Obviously,they are disenchanted with the inane spoutings that they had accepted as valid.
That many of your children,when they grow into adulthood,disavow their former Atheist beliefs would lead me to question why that is.
And you,foolish one,need to understand that my faith is not based on the absurd opinions you have expressed.
Those foolish opinions are what you base your unbelief on.
Wow! 255 atheists go to church?! I thought it would be more.
xxx

Lexington, KY

#108257 Jul 10, 2013
Ok

“I was born a poor, black child”

Since: Jan 07

that weren't no easy thing

#108258 Jul 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were an Atheist,what I would consider to be pathetic is the fact that 255 OF Atheists attend church hoping to find an answer to that which they claim not to believe in.
Obviously,they are disenchanted with the inane spoutings that they had accepted as valid.
That many of your children,when they grow into adulthood,disavow their former Atheist beliefs would lead me to question why that is.
And you,foolish one,need to understand that my faith is not based on the absurd opinions you have expressed.
Those foolish opinions are what you base your unbelief on.
Hmmm...I wonder what percentage of self-proclaimed christians DON'T attend church...
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108259 Jul 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Pathetic.
Your God >was created< by humans in man's image, and it is only kept "alive" in the minds of humans who are susceptible to the emo-mental frailty of drones like yourself.
You believe, you want, you feel, you judge, you preconceive - you do not discern, you do not think, you do not perceive and you definitely don't know.
There is no reason to be impressed with Denton's marveling at biochemistry, and certainly there is no rationality in leaping from that to Goddiditwithmagic.
An airliner is not a virus, microbe, gnat or human. It is not in any way, shape or form proof of intelligent design in nature. Just like your deity, it is nothing more or less than a purpose built man-made construct.
Intelligent design in nature would have more to do with examples such as da Vinci's Vitruvian man, based on the prinicples of PHI, would it not?

The comparisons then being based on airliners (like MANY other things) are indeed engineered mathematically as well...and tt's a pretty impressive sight to behold a 747 carrying a space shuttle, when anyone actuallt stops to THINK, just what went INTO making such possible.

And imagine, if ancient civilizations had NOT recorded some of what they had seen, heard, thought and felt. Lucky for us, AND modern SCIENCE-that indeed some DID,because such certainly makes for interesting contemplation and study!

Interesting article(edited for length)

Israeli archaeologists say a 3,000-year-old fragment of a ceramic jar found near Jerusalem's Temple Mount, dating back to the days of King David and King Solomon, bears a mysterious inscription that ranks as the earliest alphabetical written text ever found in the city.

The inscription is incised into the clay of a neckless ceramic jar found at Jerusalem's Ophel excavation site. The text is in the Canaanite language, which predates Israelite rule and the prevalence of Hebrew script.....

....The archaeologists said the fragment bearing the inscription was found along with pieces of six other large jars of the same type. All those fragments were used to stabilize the earth fill under the second floor of the building in which they were discovered, which dates to the 10th century B.C.— the era when Jerusalem was ruled by David and Solomon, two of the Bible's best-known figures.

The composition of the clay suggests that the makings for the jars originated in the central hill country near Jerusalem. Ahituv said the inscription is not complete: The full text probably wound around the jar's shoulder, and the fragment shows the end of the text, plus the first letter from the beginning. The archaeologists say it may have been written by one of Jerusalem's Jebusite residents. According to the Bible, the Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe who inhabited the city before David's conquest.

If the dating for the fragment is correct, the age of the inscription would rival other examples of proto-Canaanite inscriptions ever found — including a controversial text found on a fragment of pottery unearthed at the Hirbet Qeiyafa dig southwest of Jerusalem. Although that text was also written using Canaanite characters, archaeologists have suggested that it includes Hebrew words and thus represents the oldest known Hebrew inscription.

The inscription that Mazar and her colleagues describe is about 250 years older than the earliest Hebrew inscription found in Jerusalem. The Ophel excavation site lies in an area of Jerusalem known as the City of David, beyond the southern edge of the Temple Mount.

Boyle,A. "Inscription dates back to King David – but what does it say?" NBCNews. SCIENCE. 7/10/2013

(That's RIGHT-it IS a SCIENCE too!!)
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108260 Jul 10, 2013
treebeard wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm...I wonder what percentage of self-proclaimed christians DON'T attend church...
Probably quite a good little percentage.

Just because a car isn't in a garage, doesn't mean it's not a car.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108261 Jul 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
And then the Fairy Godmother waved her magic wand and a unicorn farted a rainbow.
The end.
No comparison what-so-ever... totally different classification..and that's to the SANE, Logical and rational anyway.

http://www.eurekalert.org/multimedia/pub/5891...

Cool huh?(one of those things where no faith is actually required-what you see is what it is!)
ProvenScience

London, KY

#108262 Jul 10, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
When you "obey God" you are obeying men. You just haven't realized it.
Debatable-because some men say really stupid things--and why would anyone listen to stupid?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108263 Jul 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! 255 atheists go to church?! I thought it would be more.
Note that the senile windbag doesn't qualify any of his ravings. What reasons would an atheist have for going to church, and what kind of church does it have to be? How often does the atheist go to church - weekly, annually? I've been to xmas services, weddings, funeral services, christenings, baptisms, chorals and concerts. That would qualify me as a church going atheist on a short form questionnaire.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#108264 Jul 10, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligent design in nature would have more to do with examples such as da Vinci's Vitruvian man, based on the prinicples of PHI, would it not?
The comparisons then being based on airliners (like MANY other things) are indeed engineered mathematically as well...and tt's a pretty impressive sight to behold a 747 carrying a space shuttle, when anyone actuallt stops to THINK, just what went INTO making such possible.
And imagine, if ancient civilizations had NOT recorded some of what they had seen, heard, thought and felt. Lucky for us, AND modern SCIENCE-that indeed some DID,because such certainly makes for interesting contemplation and study!
Interesting article(edited for length)
Israeli archaeologists say a 3,000-year-old fragment of a ceramic jar found near Jerusalem's Temple Mount, dating back to the days of King David and King Solomon, bears a mysterious inscription that ranks as the earliest alphabetical written text ever found in the city.
The inscription is incised into the clay of a neckless ceramic jar found at Jerusalem's Ophel excavation site. The text is in the Canaanite language, which predates Israelite rule and the prevalence of Hebrew script.....
....The archaeologists said the fragment bearing the inscription was found along with pieces of six other large jars of the same type. All those fragments were used to stabilize the earth fill under the second floor of the building in which they were discovered, which dates to the 10th century B.C.— the era when Jerusalem was ruled by David and Solomon, two of the Bible's best-known figures.
The composition of the clay suggests that the makings for the jars originated in the central hill country near Jerusalem. Ahituv said the inscription is not complete: The full text probably wound around the jar's shoulder, and the fragment shows the end of the text, plus the first letter from the beginning. The archaeologists say it may have been written by one of Jerusalem's Jebusite residents. According to the Bible, the Jebusites were a Canaanite tribe who inhabited the city before David's conquest.
If the dating for the fragment is correct, the age of the inscription would rival other examples of proto-Canaanite inscriptions ever found — including a controversial text found on a fragment of pottery unearthed at the Hirbet Qeiyafa dig southwest of Jerusalem. Although that text was also written using Canaanite characters, archaeologists have suggested that it includes Hebrew words and thus represents the oldest known Hebrew inscription.
The inscription that Mazar and her colleagues describe is about 250 years older than the earliest Hebrew inscription found in Jerusalem. The Ophel excavation site lies in an area of Jerusalem known as the City of David, beyond the southern edge of the Temple Mount.
Boyle,A. "Inscription dates back to King David – but what does it say?" NBCNews. SCIENCE. 7/10/2013
(That's RIGHT-it IS a SCIENCE too!!)
I appreciate the historical record that was left by the ancients, but that's not remotely close to LITERALLY WORSHIPING it.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#108265 Jul 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! 255 atheists go to church?! I thought it would be more.
255 OUT OF EVERY THOUSAND,Roughly about 25%...
And they attend a religious service on a weekly basis.

And if you want more information on it,go right to the horse's mouth.
Interview your Atheist acquaintances and ask them "what are you seeking at religious services that Atheism has failed to provide?
You might also want to ask your adult children the same question.
Don't get me wrong,I am not criticizing those church going nonbelievers who are looking for real answers in this life.
Matter of fact,it is great to see they are finally dealing with reality.... May God bless them all...
I believe that would make them very happy...
An answer for that which they are seeking
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#108266 Jul 10, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Appears that you have sexual predators praying on children in your church.
The Watchtower Org tried to cover it up like the Catholic church. Watchtower ordered to pay 11 million to the victim in this case.
Candace Conti Awarded $28M In Jehovah's Witness Sex Abuse Case
HUFFPOST SUPER USER
Thom Wheeler Castillo
DO you know how many Jehovah's witnesses kids I know have been molested by someone they knew in their congregation? How many victims were shamed/gossiped about when they came forward to the elders? And were then told to forgive their abuser?? I can think of at least 20, including myself.
Maybe now I have a sense of JUSTICE THAT THIS ORGANIZATION IS FINALLY BEING EXPOSED FOR COVERING UP 10,000's of instances OF SEXUALLY ABUSED CHILDREN.
They're more concerned with their image than keeping children safe.
This religious group really thinks theyre chosen people of god and inflated sense of self makes them accomplices to vile actions of their repressed leaders.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/16/cali...
I have been one of Jehovah's Witnesses for over 40 years and I am not aware of any of the accusations you make! What is your source of information?
May I ask what were you desfelloowshipped for? Evidently you are very bitter and are trying to retaliate.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108267 Jul 11, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
...
My faith is not based on nosensical theories that are imagined in order to expalin spititual events that were revealed by God through his prophets.
Nowhere do they claim to speak of their own authority,but as the spirit guided them.
Let me ask you this: What proof do you have that your faith is the right faith? How do you know that the Muslims aren't right? Why not the Jews? Or the Hindus? They all can claim the same thing as you. What makes you so sure you're worshiping the right god?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
...
I believe in god,I believe in Jesus Christ,not based on a theory,but on my personal experiences.
You Atheists are unable to accept or understand.
So you mock thay which is beyond your limited comprehension.
...
Oh, but we do understand. We understand everything that you're experiencing. I don't know how many times I've tried to explain this to you, but...just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they don't understand what you're saying. How could you possibly make it this far in life and not get that?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Case closed
Somehow, I don't think so.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#108268 Jul 11, 2013
I found a pic of curious and his wife out to dinner:

"We're getting the calamari for our appetizer. CASE CLOSED"
http://static.happyplace.com/assets/images/20...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sunday sales!!!!!!! 31 min george 1
Kentucky Fried Chicken (Aug '14) 2 hr Listen 19
heard heather smith was out 3 hr Single 14
Give to the church 4 hr Eloise Dawson 5
Time is of essence 5 hr Time is of essence 1
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 5 hr Princess Hey 1,195
Brenda Wallace 5 hr Lol 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages