Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
103,241 - 103,260 of 130,468 Comments Last updated 28 min ago

“I was born a poor, black child”

Since: Jan 07

that weren't no easy thing

#107984 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
God, Science and the Bible: The mystery of dark matter
article by Mario Seiglie , Scott Ashley, Tom Robinson
approximately 96 percent of the forces that sustain the universe is not produced by ordinary matter and energy?
Since 1933, scientists have measured the gravitational force holding galactic clusters, galaxies and solar systems together and have determined that only about 4 percent of it consists of ordinary matter. In other words, if you piled up all the known matter in the universe—all the stars, planets, cosmic dust and gases—and measured the gravitational effect their combined mass exerts, it would be only about 4 percent of the force necessary to hold things together!
It's OK if you want to call "dark matter" God, we find it equally amazing. What we do wish you would stop doing, is trying to make it fit your silly book. It isn't religion, it's science.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107985 Jul 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The klutz that passed down the rib story is not a reliable source. But we know creationists have double standards.
Apes have vaginas and penises. No need to stick one on as we evolved larger brains and walked upright.
Sex has been around long before humans.
Other than as a smokescreen,I have no idea what apes have to do with the topic I started out with.
You may have learned to walk upright but mentally you are bumbling and stumbling along.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107986 Jul 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>These are not sciences claims, but I get that it is what your propaganda tells you science says.
When you wish to debate truthfully and like an adult, I will be glad to go over the details. But it is hard to debate claims that are not even the claims we hold.
The wizard of Oz fits the story of god perfectly. I see no connection to evolution here. Care to demonstrate?
Go spout your nonsense somewhere else...Read em and weep

If you ever wondered about the origin of intelligence in humans and other mammals, here's the answer from a team of researchers led by Professor Seth Grant of the University of Edinburgh.

A genetic accident experienced by an invertebrate sea animal, about 500 million years ago, led to extra copies of brain genes being made. These extra genes benefited the sea animal's descendants, leading to behaviorally sophisticated vertebrates, including humans, suggest the scientists.

The only info he did not provide was a time and place.

The time was 11;00 AM as the crow flies
The place; On the shores of Gitchigumee
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107987 Jul 4, 2013
treebeard wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because YOU can't understand it, doesn't mean it didn't happen that way.
Because it did not happen that way,does not mean it happened some other way
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107988 Jul 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And your problem is, you cannot explain how a god created. You cannot even show this mystical being. The being you speak of has absolutely zero evidence of existence. ZERO! So expecting us to believe your tall tale is irrational.
I do not post information in an effort to get you and others who think like you ,to believe.
That would be fruitless for 2 reasons
1) One should not believe in God based on someone else's experience.
If you want to believe in God,you seek him and HE will reveal himself to those who seek him
2) The fool has said in his heart,There is no God and.....
No amount of evidence will convince a fool

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107989 Jul 4, 2013
care8741 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not a poe... I am serious. And you are very right to be scared. Anyone who is traveling down a path like yours should be petrified... not for the path it's self, but for the judging God whom lies ahead...
It dosn't have to be this way, though! The Bible says that God loves this ol' world so much, that He sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to be spat on, whipped, humiliated, layed on a board and nails pounded through His skin and flesh, and a spear thrust in His side. And for what? What crime did He do? Murderers and child molesters don't get treated as horrid! Jesus Christ was persicuted, tortured, and killed because He stood up for us. God didn't want us all to have to go to Hell, so He gave us a choice: Do as we wish, say He dosn't exist, pull your little scientific theory of evolution out of your hat(btw, Creationism has also been scientificly proved); or just believe. Believe in Father God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit. Believe that God sent His Son to save us from our sins. Read the Bible, believe it, do what it says. And pray:
Father God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit,
I am a sinner. I know Jesus came down to the world to save me from my sins. I accept the gift. Please, forgive me! I have done so much wrong in my life that it weighs me down. I want you to lead me. I want to be made new. Come in to my heart and I will do what you say. I Love you. I believe... now I believe.
In Jesus Christ's Name I pray... Amen
Very emo.

Location hidden

#107990 Jul 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response is irrelevant to mine, and doesn't make what I said any less true.
What I said was teach as fact, that which is fact, and teach as theory, that which is theory. How can anyone dispute that?
I don't dispute that. The problem is, if you are coming from a Creationist point of view, you reject the very definition of "theory" in science and replace it with "hunch".

If we teach kids about science from an early age they will know what terms like "fact" and "theory" mean, in context. But if left to the Creationists they will be ignorant of these ideas. They will assume a theory is just a wild-ass guess.

Location hidden

#107991 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You have been known to post a lot of gibberish and nonsense on Topix.
Neither you or any of the other misinformed and unqualified students of Evolution and Science are able to explain the questions that were posed.
The reason being that Evolution is a lie.
The creation of the universe and all there in was not caused by an accident.
Nothing can not create something out of nothing.
Someone of a superior intellect and power had to be there to create the events that led to the creation of the universe and life as we know it.
The foolish will say that it is impossible to believe that some unseen power created the universe."GOD"
But they will readily believe that it is entirely possible and logical that the universe and life as we know it was creared by accident,coincidence and chance.
I will file all that information in the circular file.
The 3 links you posted shed absolutely no light on the issues in question...
That was not surprising as you are the same one that claimed to have found evidence in the bible that pointed to Michael Jackson.
Your postings point to the fact that you are in dire need of a mental overhaul.
You can start that overhaul by joining the 25% of Atheists and their families that attend church on a regular basis.
I love how you reply to things by asserting the opposite, with no evidence. Keep doing it. It's entertaining.

Here's your problem: lack of understanding, lack of imagination.

You do understand that science works from *natural* explanations, right? That is fundamental to what science actually is. It cannot work from supernatural assertions, which is what god is. A supernatural assertion.

By invoking god to explain the universe you invoke an idea far more complex and problematic than if you went with natural causes. For one thing, god would have to be more complex than the universe, right? More powerful. More intelligent. More everything. For another thing, you'd need some kind of solid evidence that such a being can actually exist. Right now all you have is the fact that you can imagine such a being. You have not actual evidence for it.

Meanwhile we can explain hosts of things by way of natural phenomena. Try explaining gravity, evolution, or plate tectonics with god. I dare ya.

Location hidden

#107992 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the missing mass—the so-called dark matter and energy—exerting this enormous force on the entire universe? Is it possible the answer has been hiding in plain sight in Scripture all this time?
Where's the Bible verse that says "and lo did god work through dark matter"? And is the limit of god's power to simply throw off our calculations about the mass of the universe? Seems like a pretty lame power.

No. It isn't possible.

Next question?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107993 Jul 4, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know if 70% is true or false but it points to atheists being very open minded and accepting of their childrens choices in life.
"In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility." ER
No,it does not point to open mindedness.
It points to the fact that even your own children sre able to discern the absurd allegations and nonsense espoused by their Atheist parents.
Madalyn Murray O'hair found that out,firsthand.
Guess that old axiom is true,
Foolishness is not passed down parent to child.
The child may well be wiser than the parent

Location hidden

#107994 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
No,it does not point to open mindedness.
It points to the fact that even your own children sre able to discern the absurd allegations and nonsense espoused by their Atheist parents.
Madalyn Murray O'hair found that out,firsthand.
Guess that old axiom is true,
Foolishness is not passed down parent to child.
The child may well be wiser than the parent
I want to see the source of your data on percentages of children raised non-religious who turn to religion. Your 70% figure is not correct. Where did you read it?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#107995 Jul 4, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
When it is PERSONAL favorite quote-it IS Absolutely indisputable!!
As in EXEMPT, from "CONtradiction", as there is Nothing "CONtrary" about anyone having A "personal favorite quotation".
Such is SOLELY belonging to the person who favors the quote-which in this instance happens to be mySELF.
As is MY favorite quote-as in the SINGULAR sense of PERSONAL favorite-as in MY favorite quote of quotes..therefore there is NO contradiction, because it is MY personal favorite-therefore any thing else, is JUST anyone else's opinion on quotations.
And you do not have to have the same "opinion" of personal favorite quotes as I do, as I do not expect ANYone else to think exactly, OR believe or not beleive) as I do.
In fact-I would find that kind of thing (anyone who thinks the world should see everything exactly as they do)...sick in the head.
I like a lot of Einstiens POV's, as he did not appear to have harbored hatred against others, for differences of beliefs. As a matter of fact, he seemed to be rather AGAINST such, and probably found that type of thing quite UNintelligable!!
"According to biographer Walter Isaacson, Einstein was more inclined to denigrate **disbelievers*** than the faithful.[21] Einstein said in correspondence, "[T]he fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot bear the music of the spheres."[21]...
(the rest of this paragraph then gets rather all over a page so to speak).
Anyway-
More copy and paste?
On PHYSICS
"Albert Einstein's ideas on Physics and Reality are also significant. It was from reading Einstein that I first realised that matter was not made of tiny 'particles'. And having also read Lorentz (whose work is founded on Absolute Space) I realised that a slight modification of Einstein's relativity solved many of the problems of modern physics. Einstein represented Matter as continuous fields in space-time, which never explained the discrete phenomena of ***quantum theory***...."(space& motion.com )
Hmm..there's that subject of PHYSICS again!:-)
Kinda like this one too-
I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty.(Einstien)
Hmm..Rather reflects some TRUE inner decency and regard for humanity, rather than the selfishness more reflective of those who are more seemingly prone to the &#8203;Narcissism of "self only" doesn't it.
Liked this too--
"For the moral attitudes of a people that is supported by religion need always aim at preserving and promoting the sanity and vitality of the community and its individuals, since otherwise this community is bound to perish. A people that were to honour falsehood, defamation, fraud, and murder would be unable, indeed, to subsist for very long.(Albert Einstein, 1948)
Hmmm..Sounds like the man had some fairly decent ethics as well-with not much regard for the likes of CONS and manipulators.
----------Soooooooo....
LOTS and LOTS of stuff to read about on Einstien-from LOTS and LOTS of different areas -eh? NO rocket Science required-JUST the ability to read!
(and there are MANY-WELL read!!!!!!!!!!
Just MY personal UNdisputable opinion (save for mental in the head nutcases that would begin to even bother to dispute such) on quotations by Einstien, of which MY Personal favorite happens to be-
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
----
Do you have a favorite PERSONAL quotation of your own?
(see how that actually works, for those who are LOGICAL and rational anyway)
And a Happy 4rth to you!
If you simply posted the quote, it would not be a contradiction. The contradiction came with your opinion afterward. The two together was a contradiction.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107996 Jul 4, 2013
care8741 wrote:
<quoted text>
Death should not scare you. What happens after death should. You do not believe in an 'afterlife' because you do not want to think about being held responsible for actions commited down here on earth. You can lie to your brother, cheat on your wife, kill your neighbor; and as long as no person finds out, you don't have to face up... right??? That is what you want to believe. The diagnoses if you are not looking at it from a Biblical point of veiw: anti-social personality disorder. Go get looked at by a local phycologyst. The diagnoses from a godly point of view: Hatred towrd fellow human beings. Jesus Christ said that the most important commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself, and to love Him.
Do you want the truth??? Every action commited during this life will be presented and judged upon when we pass on. Now, think for a moment about everything you have ever done... What do you think would be the verdict? In America we are appointed an attorny, if we choose. Right now God is asking us if we want an attorny to represent us at the big court house in the sky. Who is this attorny? Jesus Christ, the Judges only son. After God has read off every sin we've ever comitted, and we are standing before Him; God asks who will speak for this man/woman. If you chose Jesus Christ as your attorny during your time in this world, He will step up and say, "I cover him/her with my blood". God says, "Very well! Thank you, and welcome to eternity!" If you did not choose Jesus Christ, then no one speaks up for you. God says, "I have never known you. Cast him/her out, where there will be weeping, burning, and gnashing of teath, forever and ever!"
That is the truth. Period. And it's all up to you. God has done his part. Now you have to choose...
My conscience is my judging god. I do not have to be caught to feel guilt. Only psychopaths have such detachment capabilities. So if you truly feel this way, maybe you are a psychopath.

I think the concept of god being the judge takes away from the reality of our conscience being a guide. The god and his automatic perceived forgiveness takes our guilt away when it should not.

My actions have consequences no matter if I am caught or not. Poor actions all to often lead to repercussions even if I am not put on the spot for blame. Understanding these realities are key. Sadly religion failed to get this memo. No wonder you think as you do about atheists. You have no idea what we really think.

Try asking us instead of telling us what we think.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107997 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
God, Science and the Bible: The mystery of dark matter
article by Mario Seiglie , Scott Ashley, Tom Robinson
The more scientists study the universe, the stranger it sometimes seems.
The more scientists study the universe, the stranger it sometimes seems.
For instance, did you know that approximately 96 percent of the forces that sustain the universe is not produced by ordinary matter and energy?
Since 1933, scientists have measured the gravitational force holding galactic clusters, galaxies and solar systems together and have determined that only about 4 percent of it consists of ordinary matter. In other words, if you piled up all the known matter in the universe—all the stars, planets, cosmic dust and gases—and measured the gravitational effect their combined mass exerts, it would be only about 4 percent of the force necessary to hold things together!
Where is the remaining 96 percent of the missing mass, scientists ask? This has been a real puzzle for astronomers. One remarked that this is a case not of the dog wagging the tail, but the tail wagging the dog. It's as if more than 90 percent of the universe consisted of something other than atoms and photons, the bedrock of ordinary matter and energy.
The unseen force holding things together, scientists conclude, must be produced by other things—which, for lack of better terms, are classed as "dark matter" and "dark energy" ("dark" meaning they emit no radiation directly perceptible to us, whether visible light or otherwise).
Dark matter, the scientists believe, coexists with normal matter, but they still don't know what it is. Even stranger than dark matter is dark energy, for it appears to work across large distances and in an opposite way to gravity. This antigravity force seems responsible for the accelerating pace of the universe's ongoing expansion.
"A universe that's dominated by dark stuff seems preposterous, so we wanted to test whether there were any basic flaws in our thinking," said Doug Clowe of the University of Arizona at Tucson and leader of the study. "These results are direct proof that dark matter exists" (NASA news release, Aug. 21).
"But observing dark matter and knowing what it is are very different," cautions an Aug. 23 editorial in The New York Times, "and we are nowhere near the latter. Then, beyond the problem of dark matter lies the greater problem of dark energy. This is a mysterious universe, and the more we know about it the more mysterious it seems."
Hmmm. Dark matter, dark energy—constituting 96 percent of the force that holds things together and more than 10 times the known mass of the universe—yet imperceptible to scientists with even the best of our modern technologies?
Dare we call this unseen force holding the universe together—brace yourself— spiritual in nature?
Isn't it interesting that when we turn to the Bible it says, "By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible" (Hebrews 11:3
, emphasis added throughout).
Then notice what Hebrews 1:1-4
states about Jesus Christ: "God ... has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at ...edited for space...
Who ever said all must be seen? In the days of the bible, men could not even see all the planets in our solar system. It was not unreasonable to assume some things cannot be seen with the eye. But you claim something as specific as a god but you can never see, test or observe in any way.
I see you avoided my response and diverted. Self deception is the key to faith. Avoiding the real questions and points is how you self deceive.
Try making a post short enough to have space for a response.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107998 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Other than as a smokescreen,I have no idea what apes have to do with the topic I started out with.
You may have learned to walk upright but mentally you are bumbling and stumbling along.
If you do not know what apes have to do with human sexual organs, then you do not know the theory of evolution.
You asked about evolution, not magical creation.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#107999 Jul 4, 2013
For your conscience to be an accurate guide it must be Bible trained. If not at most it is based on opinion. Opinions are like noses everybody has one!
Common sense is so rare these days it should be classified as a superpower!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108000 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Go spout your nonsense somewhere else...Read em and weep
If you ever wondered about the origin of intelligence in humans and other mammals, here's the answer from a team of researchers led by Professor Seth Grant of the University of Edinburgh.
A genetic accident experienced by an invertebrate sea animal, about 500 million years ago, led to extra copies of brain genes being made. These extra genes benefited the sea animal's descendants, leading to behaviorally sophisticated vertebrates, including humans, suggest the scientists.
The only info he did not provide was a time and place.
The time was 11;00 AM as the crow flies
The place; On the shores of Gitchigumee
One claim by one group is not what I consider what science says. No wonder you are so confused. You have no idea what the scientific consensus is.
I could point to individual scientists who say incorrect things all day. It does not mean science is wrong, it means that scientist is wrong.
Can you understand my post?
BTW, you failed to show a link, so I assume it was found in your propaganda web site. I am sure it did not mention a time either, so stop with the lying and tell us what the study really says or you just look like a lying fool that exaggerates because he has no real damning evidence.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108001 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not post information in an effort to get you and others who think like you ,to believe.
That would be fruitless for 2 reasons
1) One should not believe in God based on someone else's experience.
If you want to believe in God,you seek him and HE will reveal himself to those who seek him
2) The fool has said in his heart,There is no God and.....
No amount of evidence will convince a fool
I have no desire to know the mass murderer god you speak of, just as I do not care to know Charles Manson or Hitler.
Why do you not wish to know Zeus?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#108002 Jul 4, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
For your conscience to be an accurate guide it must be Bible trained. If not at most it is based on opinion. Opinions are like noses everybody has one!
The bible is but the opinions of ancient men. I have read their opinions and often disagree with them.
I think ones conscience is also ruled by evolutionary instinct. But one must understand our evolution and how and why it programed our instincts in order to judge them as beneficial in today's world.

I see you still have no understanding about common sense. What is commonly thought is not always truth or good.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#108003 Jul 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I have no desire to know the mass murderer god you speak of, just as I do not care to know Charles Manson or Hitler.
Why do you not wish to know Zeus?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 19 min Nutz 151,117
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 34 min Been Rich 1,279
Travis slushpup 38 min Brenda 6
betty mills 2 hr friend 3
hot girl a the funeral home 5 hr wow 7
Johnnie Mcgegor at csc 10 hr Tell it 9
Calvary Christian start date? (Jul '13) 10 hr PARENT 15
•••
•••
•••