Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,077

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107881 Jul 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we shouldn't call it "fact" and we shouldn't teach it as "fact". It is theory and should be taught as such.
There is a difference between fact and theory. Evolution is a fact, the Theory of Evolution is a theory that explains the fact of evolution.

It is a fact that things fall to the ground when dropped. It is a fact that light takes about 8 minutes to get to Earth from the Sun. It is a fact that there is a tiny time delay between satellites and GPS devices. Newtonian physics is a theory that explains a lot of that, and Relativity is an even better theory that explains much more of it.

One day we might get a theory of evolution that is better than what we have today, just like we did with physics. But until that day comes we teach what we know.

What is the alternative? Teach kids nothing at all? Teach them that god did it? Fill their heads with all manner of contradictory, unsupported ideas and then expect them to know how to parse the good from the bad?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107883 Jul 2, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Hubris is not dangerous...
Okey dokey.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#107885 Jul 2, 2013
Common sense is so rare these days it should be classified as a superpower!


Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#107886 Jul 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference between fact and theory. Evolution is a fact, the Theory of Evolution is a theory that explains the fact of evolution.
It is a fact that things fall to the ground when dropped. It is a fact that light takes about 8 minutes to get to Earth from the Sun. It is a fact that there is a tiny time delay between satellites and GPS devices. Newtonian physics is a theory that explains a lot of that, and Relativity is an even better theory that explains much more of it.
One day we might get a theory of evolution that is better than what we have today, just like we did with physics. But until that day comes we teach what we know.
What is the alternative? Teach kids nothing at all? Teach them that god did it? Fill their heads with all manner of contradictory, unsupported ideas and then expect them to know how to parse the good from the bad?
I have a FACT for anyone who believes in the THEORY that human kind developed from sludge or monkeys. Evolutionism is a Religion that shouldn't be pushed, or even mentioned, to the children attending public schools. Period. If you are going to talk seperation of government and religion/schools and religion, then come on! Let's not forget all those other religions in this world. If a Christian is forced not to pray or speak, a muslim should be forced not to bow or wear a head covering, and teachers should be forced not to teach the religion known as evolutionism.

If you are reading this, please take a moment... If you have a bible, read it. If you don't, go buy or borrow one: King James, New American Standerd, or Giddion. Sometimes a church will give them out for free. IT IS NOT A FAIRY TALE!!! Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Everything that happened in the Old and New Testament DID happen. I am not asking that teachers at public schools push Christianity on kids; I'm asking parents at home push Christianity on kids! It is the parents responsibility to FIGHT the spiritual battle for their children. And parents should leave a path they would want their children to follow...
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#107887 Jul 2, 2013
You can obtain a copy of "The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" from Jehovah's Witnesses. It is an accurate translation.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#107888 Jul 2, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
You can obtain a copy of "The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures" from Jehovah's Witnesses. It is an accurate translation.
No it's not
John

Manteca, CA

#107890 Jul 2, 2013
Why

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#107891 Jul 2, 2013
John wrote:
Why
The website is only for people in poverty or prison. If those who can take care of them selves use the resorce, there will be nothing for those in need.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#107892 Jul 3, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>2 Peter
3:3 Knowing this first, that there will come in the last days
scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since
the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were]
from the beginning of the creation.
3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of
God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the
water and in the water:
3:6 By which the world that then was, being overflowed with
water, perished:
3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same
word are kept in store, reserved to fire against the day of
judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
.
Hope this helps, as it is talking about YOU!
Still waiting for evidence.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107893 Jul 3, 2013
care8741 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a FACT for anyone who believes in the THEORY that human kind developed from sludge or monkeys. Evolutionism is a Religion that shouldn't be pushed, or even mentioned, to the children attending public schools. Period. If you are going to talk seperation of government and religion/schools and religion, then come on! Let's not forget all those other religions in this world. If a Christian is forced not to pray or speak, a muslim should be forced not to bow or wear a head covering, and teachers should be forced not to teach the religion known as evolutionism.
If you are reading this, please take a moment... If you have a bible, read it. If you don't, go buy or borrow one: King James, New American Standerd, or Giddion. Sometimes a church will give them out for free. IT IS NOT A FAIRY TALE!!! Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Everything that happened in the Old and New Testament DID happen. I am not asking that teachers at public schools push Christianity on kids; I'm asking parents at home push Christianity on kids! It is the parents responsibility to FIGHT the spiritual battle for their children. And parents should leave a path they would want their children to follow...
Is this a Poe? Poe's Law states that Fundamentalist beliefs are so silly you can't tell them apart from satire. If you are making a joke, bravo! Nice post.

If you are serious then that's pretty scary.

Hmm...I read the Bible and you're right! The chapter that explains the reason for nested hierarchies of species really is better than evolution. And the way the Bible clarifies the morphological and DNA distribution across populations really does a better job than science can do. I didn't realize Moses knew so much about mitochondria!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#107894 Jul 3, 2013
2nd Corinthians

3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the
Lord [is], there [is] liberty.

We were a country founded on Christian principles,
and now we've lost our way!
Remember this 4th of July, those that paid for
these Liberties with their lives...
The Liberties we've thrown away!

Happy 4th everyone!
God Bless America!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#107895 Jul 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So in other words, you have no evidence supporting your assertion that your god is not just your imaginary friend. Got it, you are delusional.
I have plenty of evidence... I'm still Alive!
You are ignorant of His existence!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#107896 Jul 3, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
Common sense is so rare these days it should be classified as a superpower!
Great point!
Very little of it with these librals!
Bob Beckle on the Five has more than these liberals on Topix!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#107897 Jul 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Still waiting for evidence.
Tisk, tisk...
I can tell you about the Grand Canyon, even show you pictures,
but... unless you experience God for yourself,
seek Him diligently...
You will never Know what WE Know, until Judgment day!
ProvenScience

Manchester, KY

#107898 Jul 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the dumbest thing I've read today. Thank you.
And here's the duhmest thing out of Caliphonybrokia for today-

Campus instructor demands student remove her "cross necklace" for fear it might offend some one.

REALLLLLYYYY? What an UNAmerican LOSER. Ship'him to flip'n commieTic third world wherever-where that kind of loser idioTicness belongs.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#107899 Jul 3, 2013
care8741 wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a FACT for anyone who believes in the THEORY that human kind developed from sludge or monkeys. Evolutionism is a Religion that shouldn't be pushed, or even mentioned, to the children attending public schools. Period. If you are going to talk seperation of government and religion/schools and religion, then come on! Let's not forget all those other religions in this world. If a Christian is forced not to pray or speak, a muslim should be forced not to bow or wear a head covering, and teachers should be forced not to teach the religion known as evolutionism.
If you are reading this, please take a moment... If you have a bible, read it. If you don't, go buy or borrow one: King James, New American Standerd, or Giddion. Sometimes a church will give them out for free. IT IS NOT A FAIRY TALE!!! Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Everything that happened in the Old and New Testament DID happen. I am not asking that teachers at public schools push Christianity on kids; I'm asking parents at home push Christianity on kids! It is the parents responsibility to FIGHT the spiritual battle for their children. And parents should leave a path they would want their children to follow...
Evolution is not a religion, so your argument fails. Evolution is science. Just because some speak of evolution religiously, this does not make it a religion anymore so than football being a religion.
Btw, people are not being forced not to pray. Just don't expect Goverment to force prayer upon our kids.
If you don't know the difference, then that is your ignorance problem.
Having a teacher pray to children is forcing religion upon them.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#107900 Jul 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never said God can do anything. So your dumb question, and your weak point, do not apply to me.
My statement was to someone who claimed god could do anything. If you are goofing to stick your nose in our debate, be prepared to defend the claims you side made on the topic. My question applies perfectly and you have failed to show otherwise.
You clearly just cannot admit to being wrong.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107901 Jul 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a difference between fact and theory. Evolution is a fact, the Theory of Evolution is a theory that explains the fact of evolution.
It is a fact that things fall to the ground when dropped. It is a fact that light takes about 8 minutes to get to Earth from the Sun. It is a fact that there is a tiny time delay between satellites and GPS devices. Newtonian physics is a theory that explains a lot of that, and Relativity is an even better theory that explains much more of it.
One day we might get a theory of evolution that is better than what we have today, just like we did with physics. But until that day comes we teach what we know.
What is the alternative? Teach kids nothing at all? Teach them that god did it? Fill their heads with all manner of contradictory, unsupported ideas and then expect them to know how to parse the good from the bad?
It is a fact that trying to explain God's creation by using a foolish theory as proposed by some scientists and Evolutionists is an attempt to insult the intelligence of even the lowest form of intellect.
The nonliving can not create life.
Non intelligence can not create intelligence.
Evolutionists and atheists are good at creating and spreading nonsense and giberish.
They can not accept that there is an intelligent being capable of creating the universe,life and everything therein.
They will accept that those events happened by accident.
Problem is,they are unable to explain those accidents...
Other than; 3 billion years ago,on a saturday afternoon at 4:20 PM
something happened that created life...
500 million years ago,on the eleventeenth of May,another unobserved and undocumented event took place in the region known as lower Slobovia.
A VERTEBRATE HAD A FREAK ACCIDENT and there statrted the beginings of intelligence.
Now ,if you weill excuse me,I will get back to watching the Wizard Of Oz.
I like the part where the house falls on the wicked witch in the woods.
By the way,Did ya know?
70 % of chidren raised by atheist parents will become religiously affiliated in their adult life...
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107902 Jul 3, 2013
DOES ANYONE CARE TO EXPLAIN THE FOLLOWING

Biology texts illustrate amoebas evolving into intermediate organisms, which then give rise to amphibians, reptiles, mammals, and, eventually, humans. Yet, we never learn exactly when or how independent male and female sexes originated. Somewhere along this evolutionary path, both males and females were required in order to ensure the procreation that was necessary to further the existence of a particular species. But how do evolutionists explain this? When pressed to answer questions such as,“Where did males and females actually come from?,”“What is the evolutionary origin of sex?,” evolutionists become silent. How could nature evolve a female member of a species that produces eggs and is internally equipped to nourish a growing embryo, while at the same time evolving a male member that produces motile sperm cells? And, further, how is it that these gametes (eggs and sperm) conveniently “evolved” so that they each contain half the normal chromosome number of somatic (body) cells?[Somatic cells reproduce via the process of mitosis, which maintains the species’ standard chromosome number; gametes are produced via the process of meiosis, which halves that number.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#107904 Jul 3, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I have plenty of evidence... I'm still Alive!
You are ignorant of His existence!
You keep saying you have plenty of evidence, yet you present none. Where is this evidence? If there is plenty then it should be a simple matter for you to present it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min Ari son of Anarchy 154,280
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 48 min gingerbread man 5,766
Knox parent out of control goes after student a... 2 hr gator 26
Hey you 2 hr busted 5
campbell vs smith for sheriff 5 hr Warrior 7
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 6 hr tluv 3,542
The parent who flipped off and threatened every... 7 hr Redhound squad 15
kC principal injured 14 hr what happened 9
Knox parent goes off at Bell and Knox football ... Sun record 10
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••