Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,206

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#107964 Jul 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm ok with teaching that evolution occurs, while providing examples that have been proven. But apes to humans have not been proven yet, so it should be taught as a theory. Just as whether you are born gay or not has not been proven yet, it should be taught that it is a theory, and then present the evidence that leads some to believe it.
Look up the word "proven" dude. You sound so darned ignorant now it is driving me nuts.
You might think you know what these words mean, but it is clear you use them in a such sloppy manner to the point you sound uneducated.
Learn to use words properly so we can have an intellectual conversation. At this point I feel I am speaking to a child.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107965 Jul 4, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Because it's a flawed and incomplete , and now rather antiquated theory ONLY as well.
With some of the most outdated, ignorant, elementary level "pictergraphs" to have ever been forced into textbooks anywhere.
Thank goodness, real Science that evolves as LOGIC presents reason and rational, and does NOT "stay" mired in dark age muddlesome muck.
Science evolves as evidence is produced.
Religion will be forever stuck in the "god did it" world.
Science is never complete and that is its greatest strength.
Religion claims absolute knowledge with zero evidence, and that is its greatest weakness.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107966 Jul 4, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Common sense is so rare these days it should be classified as a superpower!
The ideas that are common among lay persons are often so senseless that the phrase "common sense" is a senseless term to use.
It is common that most persons cannot understand this concept.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107967 Jul 4, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes, another "You can't explain this, therefore God did it" post.
Here's a little insight about science: it is a work in progress. We don't have a magic book with all the answers. Actually, neither do you but you don't seem to understand that fact.
Here's some light reading on the subject of sexual evolution:
http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/sexu...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_se...
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/...
You have been known to post a lot of gibberish and nonsense on Topix.
Neither you or any of the other misinformed and unqualified students of Evolution and Science are able to explain the questions that were posed.
The reason being that Evolution is a lie.
The creation of the universe and all there in was not caused by an accident.
Nothing can not create something out of nothing.
Someone of a superior intellect and power had to be there to create the events that led to the creation of the universe and life as we know it.
The foolish will say that it is impossible to believe that some unseen power created the universe."GOD"
But they will readily believe that it is entirely possible and logical that the universe and life as we know it was creared by accident,coincidence and chance.
I will file all that information in the circular file.
The 3 links you posted shed absolutely no light on the issues in question...
That was not surprising as you are the same one that claimed to have found evidence in the bible that pointed to Michael Jackson.
Your postings point to the fact that you are in dire need of a mental overhaul.
You can start that overhaul by joining the 25% of Atheists and their families that attend church on a regular basis.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107968 Jul 4, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Who ever ruled out that the possible aforementioned vertebrae was not a sprinkle of proverbial salt dropped unto the Earth, from elsewhere..still YET, that of which remains unknown?
To rule such out-would sound about as ignorant and idioTic as an athiest speaking.
I like the part where the wicked witch melts away into the pile of hatred goo she represented.:-)
Salt? You mean like magic salt? I suppose one could remain in perpetual open ended lack of conclusions, or one could just assume that zero evidence has ever been produced of a magic salt giver thus be of the mind no magic salt be needed.
Funny how you point the finger at atheists yet believers are often of a firm mind a god must be needed, yet their is no evidence pointing to this conclusion.
You consistently have a double standard.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107969 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

The foolish will say that it is impossible to believe that some unseen power created the universe."GOD"
Just who made this claim?

First, it is clear billions believe a god created, so it is proven it is possible to believe this.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107970 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

Someone of a superior intellect and power had to be there to create the events that led to the creation of the universe and life as we know it.
If you have a single shred of evidence for this claim, you might sound like a reasonable person.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107971 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

is.
So it is reasonable to assume something always existed. Stephen Hawking suggests energy likely always existed. Energy is simple, were as a god is highly complex. It seems more likely the simple preceded the complex.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107972 Jul 4, 2013
known truth wrote:
Romans 12:2
King James Version (KJV)
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Deuteronomy 18:13
King James Version (KJV)
13 Thou shalt be perfect with the Lord thy God.
Joshua 1:8
King James Version (KJV)
8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
If you think Deuteronomy is the perfect will of god, try this on for size.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10 (New International Version)
Page Options
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email

<<
<
=
=
>
>>

Show resources
Add parallel
Deuteronomy 13:6-10

New International Version (NIV)

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying,“Let us go and worship other gods”(gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

The bible instructs you to murder missionaries if they are of other beliefs.

This is proof to me that the bible is nothing more than the ideas of ancient men claiming to be prophets of a god.
How much evidence do you need?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107973 Jul 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Because domesticated animals aren't practicing for anything and would most likely die if they had to live on their own.
That cat knows there is big bowl of fancy feast waiting. No reason to kill the mouse and then walk away.
So you think because a domesticated animal has food given to him,he will not act upon instincts?
Do you think dogs and cats have this much thought going on? Hell, most humans do not have this much thought going on.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107974 Jul 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Silent? Not exactly, but that is likely what your religious propaganda is claiming we do.
My question is, if science does not yet know all the answers, must it mean god did it?
Males and females evolved as a slow differentiation of sexually reproducing species.
http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...
To understand this, remember that sexual reproduction does not require separate sexes. There are many species of both plants and animals that reproduce sexually, but have no dedicated sexes. Either all individuals of the species have both male and female organs, or they will change from male to female at different times of their lives, or based on temperature during incubation, or a slightly different hormonal environment. So it is not difficult for individuals of some species to slowly get more and more differentiated.
So start with the development of sexual reproduction. This just means that gametes from one individual combine with the gametes of a second individual to form a new individual.
And second, none of these development had to be sudden. There did not have to be a sudden transition from asexual reproduction to one with sexual reproduction (as both can exist simultaneously in the same species); and there did not have to be a sudden transition from a species without sexual organs to one with (as sexual organs are just organs for better production, spreading, and fertilizing of gametes); and third, there did not have to be a sudden transition from a species without males and females to one where individuals only have one kind of sex organ or the other depending on genetics.
To give a single example that illustrates both of these points, look at the slime mold amoeba. It reproduces both asexually and sexually. Normally the amoebas just divide asexually ... so all the amoebas in a colony are clones of the same individual. But when resources get scarce, the amoebas congregate and produce a stalk with a fruiting body at the top filled with spores ... gametes (haploid versions of the amoeba cells). This bursts, releasing the spores (gametes) into the air, which encounter other spores (gametes) from other colonies, fertilize, and start a new colony.
The stalk and fruiting body can be considered the beginnings of a "sexual organ" ... it is a structure designed for the mass-production, and release of gametes.
But the main point is that this shows how there can be a slow transition from asexual reproduction to a *combination* of asexual and sexual reproduction, to a dedicated *sexually reproducing* species.
Second, once sexual reproduction is established, then the next step is the slow differentiation between "male" gametes (smaller, and better suited for mass-production and release), and "female" gametes (larger, and better suited for being fertilized and beginning the process of cell replication).
Third, once the gametes have differentiated, then organs will start specializing in the production of one or the other ... i.e. organs for making and releasing "male" gametes, and for making and protecting "female" gametes and making fertilization more successful.
F
That illucid response does nothing to explain the issue in question.
Sexual reproduction in the human species requires male and female participation.
One can not function without the other.
Injecting slime mold amoebas into the discussion is absurd and an attempt to avoid the real issue...
The klutz at Yahoo who attempted to explain the unexplainable is not a reliable source....
Science fiction can explain everything that can occur in a fictitious world.
That is not the world that we in.....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107975 Jul 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Humans hunting other humans most certainly should be considered immoral. I hope you don't intend to disagree with this too.
Not sure how this is relevant to our conversation of animals hunting animals of other species?
But as with most things, little is of black and white. Their are times when hunting humans is the right thing to do.
Do you think a police detective hunting a bad guy is immoral?

Now you have diverted your way out as usual.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#107976 Jul 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am not scared of any god. Death scares me because I like life and do not want it to end. But I do not believe stories of an afterlife just because I wish for life to continue.
It is reasonable that Jesus was tortured due to his claims about god. You see, in a society that has specific beliefs of in a god, they do not take lightly someone coming along and changing the story. Evidently it is more heinous a crime than others.
Do you really expect ancient barbaric, superstitious people to act differently?
Death should not scare you. What happens after death should. You do not believe in an 'afterlife' because you do not want to think about being held responsible for actions commited down here on earth. You can lie to your brother, cheat on your wife, kill your neighbor; and as long as no person finds out, you don't have to face up... right??? That is what you want to believe. The diagnoses if you are not looking at it from a Biblical point of veiw: anti-social personality disorder. Go get looked at by a local phycologyst. The diagnoses from a godly point of view: Hatred towrd fellow human beings. Jesus Christ said that the most important commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself, and to love Him.

Do you want the truth??? Every action commited during this life will be presented and judged upon when we pass on. Now, think for a moment about everything you have ever done... What do you think would be the verdict? In America we are appointed an attorny, if we choose. Right now God is asking us if we want an attorny to represent us at the big court house in the sky. Who is this attorny? Jesus Christ, the Judges only son. After God has read off every sin we've ever comitted, and we are standing before Him; God asks who will speak for this man/woman. If you chose Jesus Christ as your attorny during your time in this world, He will step up and say, "I cover him/her with my blood". God says, "Very well! Thank you, and welcome to eternity!" If you did not choose Jesus Christ, then no one speaks up for you. God says, "I have never known you. Cast him/her out, where there will be weeping, burning, and gnashing of teath, forever and ever!"

That is the truth. Period. And it's all up to you. God has done his part. Now you have to choose...

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107977 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Sexual reproduction in the human species requires male and female participation.
Injecting slime mold amoebas into the discussion is absurd and an attempt to avoid the real issue...
The klutz at Yahoo who attempted to explain the unexplainable is not a reliable source....
As if any explaination would be good for you.
I really have no idea what you expect science to know or say on the matter.
Maybe you prefer simple answers like god took a rib and made the female sex. Not as if this answers any serious questions. It is a story in the land of Oz.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107978 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The klutz that passed down the rib story is not a reliable source. But we know creationists have double standards.
Apes have vaginas and penises. No need to stick one on as we evolved larger brains and walked upright.
Sex has been around long before humans.

“I was born a poor, black child”

Since: Jan 07

that weren't no easy thing

#107979 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You have been known to post a lot of gibberish and nonsense on Topix.
Neither you or any of the other misinformed and unqualified students of Evolution and Science are able to explain the questions that were posed.
The reason being that Evolution is a lie.
The creation of the universe and all there in was not caused by an accident.
Just because YOU can't understand it, doesn't mean it didn't happen that way.

#107980 Jul 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>Because domesticated animals aren't practicing for anything and would most likely die if they had to live on their own.
That cat knows there is big bowl of fancy feast waiting. No reason to kill the mouse and then walk away.
HAH! You have unwittingly described yourself!
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

#107981 Jul 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If we can think for ourselves, then posting a quote as if it is indisputable makes for a giant contradiction.
When it is PERSONAL favorite quote-it IS Absolutely indisputable!!
As in EXEMPT, from "CONtradiction", as there is Nothing "CONtrary" about anyone having A "personal favorite quotation".

Such is SOLELY belonging to the person who favors the quote-which in this instance happens to be mySELF.

As is MY favorite quote-as in the SINGULAR sense of PERSONAL favorite-as in MY favorite quote of quotes..therefore there is NO contradiction, because it is MY personal favorite-therefore any thing else, is JUST anyone else's opinion on quotations.
And you do not have to have the same "opinion" of personal favorite quotes as I do, as I do not expect ANYone else to think exactly, OR believe or not beleive) as I do.

In fact-I would find that kind of thing (anyone who thinks the world should see everything exactly as they do)...sick in the head.

I like a lot of Einstiens POV's, as he did not appear to have harbored hatred against others, for differences of beliefs. As a matter of fact, he seemed to be rather AGAINST such, and probably found that type of thing quite UNintelligable!!

"According to biographer Walter Isaacson, Einstein was more inclined to denigrate **disbelievers*** than the faithful.[21] Einstein said in correspondence, "[T]he fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot bear the music of the spheres."[21]...
(the rest of this paragraph then gets rather all over a page so to speak).
Anyway-

More copy and paste?
On PHYSICS
"Albert Einstein's ideas on Physics and Reality are also significant. It was from reading Einstein that I first realised that matter was not made of tiny 'particles'. And having also read Lorentz (whose work is founded on Absolute Space) I realised that a slight modification of Einstein's relativity solved many of the problems of modern physics. Einstein represented Matter as continuous fields in space-time, which never explained the discrete phenomena of ***quantum theory***...."(space& motion.com )

Hmm..there's that subject of PHYSICS again!:-)

Kinda like this one too-
I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty.(Einstien)

Hmm..Rather reflects some TRUE inner decency and regard for humanity, rather than the selfishness more reflective of those who are more seemingly prone to the &#8203;Narcissism of "self only" doesn't it.

Liked this too--
"For the moral attitudes of a people that is supported by religion need always aim at preserving and promoting the sanity and vitality of the community and its individuals, since otherwise this community is bound to perish. A people that were to honour falsehood, defamation, fraud, and murder would be unable, indeed, to subsist for very long.(Albert Einstein, 1948)

Hmmm..Sounds like the man had some fairly decent ethics as well-with not much regard for the likes of CONS and manipulators.

----------Soooooooo....

LOTS and LOTS of stuff to read about on Einstien-from LOTS and LOTS of different areas -eh? NO rocket Science required-JUST the ability to read!
(and there are MANY-WELL read!!!!!!!!!!

Just MY personal UNdisputable opinion (save for mental in the head nutcases that would begin to even bother to dispute such) on quotations by Einstien, of which MY Personal favorite happens to be-

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

----
Do you have a favorite PERSONAL quotation of your own?

(see how that actually works, for those who are LOGICAL and rational anyway)

And a Happy 4rth to you!
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107983 Jul 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So it is reasonable to assume something always existed. Stephen Hawking suggests energy likely always existed. Energy is simple, were as a god is highly complex. It seems more likely the simple preceded the complex.
God, Science and the Bible: The mystery of dark matter

article by Mario Seiglie , Scott Ashley, Tom Robinson

The more scientists study the universe, the stranger it sometimes seems.

The more scientists study the universe, the stranger it sometimes seems.

For instance, did you know that approximately 96 percent of the forces that sustain the universe is not produced by ordinary matter and energy?

Since 1933, scientists have measured the gravitational force holding galactic clusters, galaxies and solar systems together and have determined that only about 4 percent of it consists of ordinary matter. In other words, if you piled up all the known matter in the universe—all the stars, planets, cosmic dust and gases—and measured the gravitational effect their combined mass exerts, it would be only about 4 percent of the force necessary to hold things together!

Where is the remaining 96 percent of the missing mass, scientists ask? This has been a real puzzle for astronomers. One remarked that this is a case not of the dog wagging the tail, but the tail wagging the dog. It's as if more than 90 percent of the universe consisted of something other than atoms and photons, the bedrock of ordinary matter and energy.

The unseen force holding things together, scientists conclude, must be produced by other things—which, for lack of better terms, are classed as "dark matter" and "dark energy" ("dark" meaning they emit no radiation directly perceptible to us, whether visible light or otherwise).

Dark matter, the scientists believe, coexists with normal matter, but they still don't know what it is. Even stranger than dark matter is dark energy, for it appears to work across large distances and in an opposite way to gravity. This antigravity force seems responsible for the accelerating pace of the universe's ongoing expansion.

"A universe that's dominated by dark stuff seems preposterous, so we wanted to test whether there were any basic flaws in our thinking," said Doug Clowe of the University of Arizona at Tucson and leader of the study. "These results are direct proof that dark matter exists" (NASA news release, Aug. 21).

"But observing dark matter and knowing what it is are very different," cautions an Aug. 23 editorial in The New York Times, "and we are nowhere near the latter. Then, beyond the problem of dark matter lies the greater problem of dark energy. This is a mysterious universe, and the more we know about it the more mysterious it seems."

Hmmm. Dark matter, dark energy—constituting 96 percent of the force that holds things together and more than 10 times the known mass of the universe—yet imperceptible to scientists with even the best of our modern technologies?

Dare we call this unseen force holding the universe together—brace yourself— spiritual in nature?

Isn't it interesting that when we turn to the Bible it says, "By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible" (Hebrews 11:3
, emphasis added throughout).

Then notice what Hebrews 1:1-4

states about Jesus Christ: "God ... has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high."

Where is the missing mass—the so-called dark matter and energy—exerting this enormous force on the entire universe? Is it possible the answer has been hiding in plain sight in Scripture all this time?

#107984 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
God, Science and the Bible: The mystery of dark matter
article by Mario Seiglie , Scott Ashley, Tom Robinson
approximately 96 percent of the forces that sustain the universe is not produced by ordinary matter and energy?
Since 1933, scientists have measured the gravitational force holding galactic clusters, galaxies and solar systems together and have determined that only about 4 percent of it consists of ordinary matter. In other words, if you piled up all the known matter in the universe—all the stars, planets, cosmic dust and gases—and measured the gravitational effect their combined mass exerts, it would be only about 4 percent of the force necessary to hold things together!
It's OK if you want to call "dark matter" God, we find it equally amazing. What we do wish you would stop doing, is trying to make it fit your silly book. It isn't religion, it's science.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
curtis 46 min gator 4
Jim baker remodeling city hall 1 hr john 3
teena Marie mills 1 hr john 12
Who is Winston tye seeing now....... 3 hr Nasty 7
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 5 hr Hatti_Hollerand 3,609
any women want to meet 6 hr lookeing 1
pullets and cocerels for sale, adult Buff Orpin... (Jun '13) 15 hr Deena 4
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Wed dad 52
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match