Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,885

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
known truth

Tampa, FL

#107923 Jul 3, 2013
1 Corinthians 13:4-5

King James Version (KJV)
4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

Romans 13:1

King James Version (KJV)
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Galatians 5:22-23
King James Version (KJV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#107924 Jul 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and because you can show pictures, rock samples, and other verifiable evidence the existence of the Grand Canyon is not questionable. You have no evidence for your god, thus your claim is dismissed as fairy tales.
Kittenfodder
I would not say that.
Many Atheists do not dismiss that claim as a fairy tale
I am surprised you did not know that
Some observations are in order and are worth repeating.

1)Although they claim not to believe in God,Atheists spend an inordinate part of their lifetims talking about God and seeking evidence for his existence.

2)Their unbelief has caused them to have a much higher rate of suicide than those who believe.

3)Studies show that 70% of children reared by Atheists
wiil become affiliated with a church as they reach adulthood

4) A study by Rice University shows that 25% of Atheists and their chidren attend church....

My opinion is that you should address your question to those Atheists,like yourself,who are unable to keep their mind from thinking about God.
Or,you should ask the 70% of children who were brainwashed by their parents into not believing in God and are now Believers.
Or,go to church and ask the attending Atheists and their children to explain their reasons for being there.

The same mental desire that keeps them always thinking about God is probably also responsible for their desire to attend church..
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#107925 Jul 3, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Humans share a common ancestor with apes.
NOT
Apes turning into humans.
Do all religies get their degrees in Stupid from the same school?
Common sense is so rare these days it should be classified as a superpower!

Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#107926 Jul 3, 2013
Common sense is so rare these days it should be classified as a superpower!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#107927 Jul 3, 2013

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#107928 Jul 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>My statement was to someone who claimed god could do anything. If you are goofing to stick your nose in our debate, be prepared to defend the claims you side made on the topic. My question applies perfectly and you have failed to show otherwise.
You clearly just cannot admit to being wrong.
I don't believe God can do anything, so that isn't "my side". What would you have me defend? Someone else's beliefs? You're the one that's wrong in this car in thinking every Christian fits your stereotype.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#107929 Jul 3, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Humans share a common ancestor with apes.
NOT
Apes turning into humans.

Do all religies get their degrees in Stupid from the same school?
And which ancestor is this that we split from?
WeNeedGodBackinA merica

Tampa, FL

#107930 Jul 4, 2013
God Bless...America!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107931 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a fact that trying to explain God's creation by using a foolish theory as proposed by some scientists and Evolutionists is an attempt to insult the intelligence of even the lowest form of intellect.
The nonliving can not create life.
Non intelligence can not create intelligence.
Evolutionists and atheists are good at creating and spreading nonsense and giberish.
They can not accept that there is an intelligent being capable of creating the universe,life and everything therein.
They will accept that those events happened by accident.
Problem is,they are unable to explain those accidents...
Other than; 3 billion years ago,on a saturday afternoon at 4:20 PM
something happened that created life...
500 million years ago,on the eleventeenth of May,another unobserved and undocumented event took place in the region known as lower Slobovia.
A VERTEBRATE HAD A FREAK ACCIDENT and there statrted the beginings of intelligence.
Now ,if you weill excuse me,I will get back to watching the Wizard Of Oz.
I like the part where the house falls on the wicked witch in the woods.
By the way,Did ya know?
70 % of chidren raised by atheist parents will become religiously affiliated in their adult life...
I don't think your 70% statistic is accurate. Children of non-religious parents are far more likely to be non-religious according to all the statistics I've ever heard.

The rest of your post is silly. You're using my language (it is a fact that...) to simply assert your opinion. When I say something is a fact it is not my opinion. The evidence that life evolved is so overwhelming that even in 1880 virtually everyone with half a brain or more accepted it. Very few things are so well-supported by evidence.

It is the Modern Synthesis, the Theory of Evlution, that cannot be called a fact. Theories are not facts, theories explain facts.

Jimmy drives his car off a bridge. Fact. Jimmy was probably drunk, based on the fact that he was seen drinking by all his friends. Theory.

When the theory explains the facts in such a compelling way and no evidence can be brought that counters the theory then that theory is accepted.

Its the way it works, bro. You'll just have to learn to live with it. If you don't like it get yourself your own theory. Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes.

Location hidden

#107932 Jul 4, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
There seems to be a problem with your link. Specifically, it points to a page called " rushlimbaugh.com ". Clicking it would make my computer dumber.

And morally crippled.

Location hidden

#107933 Jul 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm ok with teaching that evolution occurs, while providing examples that have been proven. But apes to humans have not been proven yet, so it should be taught as a theory. Just as whether you are born gay or not has not been proven yet, it should be taught that it is a theory, and then present the evidence that leads some to believe it.
Wrong, dude. You're just wrong.

The theory of evolution is taught as a theory, which means it is accepted science. The fact of evolution itself should be taught as a fact, because that's what it is.

It does not matter which species we're talking about. Humans are not some special creation that exists outside the scope of the natural world. If we can with certainty that animals evolved from other animals then guess which animal also fits into that category? Bingo. You and me.

There is a fallacious way of thinking that comes from the Creationist side of this argument. The fallacy is that if science has not yet explained something then science CANNOT explain it and therefore God created everything in accordance with the Bible. That is the implication to all these silly arguments over evolution.

Imagine this. A bunch of people believe that aliens cause autism. They point to some cobbled up graph showing the reports of UFOs and the instances of autism near the UFO sighting spots. When rightfully called idiots, they ask for an immediate explanation of how autism comes to be. Since our current understanding of autism is not absolutely complete they say "Ah-hah!! You can't answer my question...therefore aliens cause autism".

That is EXACTLY what Creationism does. Every. Single. Time.

Location hidden

#107934 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
DOES ANYONE CARE TO EXPLAIN THE FOLLOWING
Biology texts illustrate amoebas evolving into intermediate organisms, which then give rise to amphibians, reptiles, mammals, and, eventually, humans. Yet, we never learn exactly when or how independent male and female sexes originated. Somewhere along this evolutionary path, both males and females were required in order to ensure the procreation that was necessary to further the existence of a particular species. But how do evolutionists explain this? When pressed to answer questions such as,“Where did males and females actually come from?,”“What is the evolutionary origin of sex?,” evolutionists become silent. How could nature evolve a female member of a species that produces eggs and is internally equipped to nourish a growing embryo, while at the same time evolving a male member that produces motile sperm cells? And, further, how is it that these gametes (eggs and sperm) conveniently “evolved” so that they each contain half the normal chromosome number of somatic (body) cells?[Somatic cells reproduce via the process of mitosis, which maintains the species’ standard chromosome number; gametes are produced via the process of meiosis, which halves that number.
Ah yes, another "You can't explain this, therefore God did it" post.

Here's a little insight about science: it is a work in progress. We don't have a magic book with all the answers. Actually, neither do you but you don't seem to understand that fact.

Here's some light reading on the subject of sexual evolution:

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/sexu...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_se...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/...

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#107935 Jul 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious. Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......

Location hidden

#107936 Jul 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a great question if you're asking it in earnest. But if it is a rhetorical trick then it's dumb. We don't know a LOT of stuff about the world, but that does not mean we know nothing and it damn sure does not lend evidence to any alternate ideas such as Creationism.

Steve says he saw an animal in the woods. Dave says it was Bigfoot. Steve says no, it was not Bigfoot. Just some animal. Dave asks Steve "Do you know what animal it was?" and Steve answers honestly, "Not really. Didn't get a good look at it."

Dave says "Then it was Bigfoot."

And there you have Creationism in a nutshell.

But about human origins:

http://humanorigins.si.edu/resources/intro-hu...

"Humans are primates. Physical and genetic similarities show that the modern human species, Homo sapiens, has a very close relationship to another group of primate species, the apes. Humans and the great apes (large apes) of Africa -- chimpanzees (including bonobos, or so-called “pygmy chimpanzees”) and gorillas -- share a common ancestor that lived between 8 and 6 million years ago. Humans first evolved in Africa, and much of human evolution occurred on that continent. The fossils of early humans who lived between 6 and 2 million years ago come entirely from Africa."

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#107937 Jul 4, 2013
Father God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit... Do what you want with america, I'm moving to canada!

Amen

Location hidden

#107938 Jul 4, 2013
Happy 4th of July, Everyone!!!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#107939 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a fact that trying to explain God's creation by using a foolish theory as proposed by some scientists and Evolutionists is an attempt to insult the intelligence of even the lowest form of intellect.
The nonliving can not create life.
Non intelligence can not create intelligence.
Really? Got any evidence for this claim or is this just religious propaganda you think has somehow been proven?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107940 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

Evolutionists and atheists are good at creating and spreading nonsense and giberish.
They can not accept that there is an intelligent being capable of creating the universe,life and everything therein.
T
And the religious cannot accept their may not be an intelligent being capable of creating the universe, life and everything therein.

Maybe if you had a drop of evidence this supposed creator actually existed, I could accept it, but you have ZERO.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107941 Jul 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I
They will accept that those events happened by accident.
Problem is,they are unable to explain those accidents...
And your problem is, you cannot explain how a god created. You cannot even show this mystical being. The being you speak of has absolutely zero evidence of existence. ZERO! So expecting us to believe your tall tale is irrational.

Location hidden

#107942 Jul 4, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this a Poe? Poe's Law states that Fundamentalist beliefs are so silly you can't tell them apart from satire. If you are making a joke, bravo! Nice post.
If you are serious then that's pretty scary.
Hmm...I read the Bible and you're right! The chapter that explains the reason for nested hierarchies of species really is better than evolution. And the way the Bible clarifies the morphological and DNA distribution across populations really does a better job than science can do. I didn't realize Moses knew so much about mitochondria!
No, I'm not a poe... I am serious. And you are very right to be scared. Anyone who is traveling down a path like yours should be petrified... not for the path it's self, but for the judging God whom lies ahead...

It dosn't have to be this way, though! The Bible says that God loves this ol' world so much, that He sent His only Son, Jesus Christ, to be spat on, whipped, humiliated, layed on a board and nails pounded through His skin and flesh, and a spear thrust in His side. And for what? What crime did He do? Murderers and child molesters don't get treated as horrid! Jesus Christ was persicuted, tortured, and killed because He stood up for us. God didn't want us all to have to go to Hell, so He gave us a choice: Do as we wish, say He dosn't exist, pull your little scientific theory of evolution out of your hat(btw, Creationism has also been scientificly proved); or just believe. Believe in Father God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit. Believe that God sent His Son to save us from our sins. Read the Bible, believe it, do what it says. And pray:

Father God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit,

I am a sinner. I know Jesus came down to the world to save me from my sins. I accept the gift. Please, forgive me! I have done so much wrong in my life that it weighs me down. I want you to lead me. I want to be made new. Come in to my heart and I will do what you say. I Love you. I believe... now I believe.

In Jesus Christ's Name I pray... Amen

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a girl who will POOP all OVER me! ;P (Apr '14) 2 hr gator 15
Jason woolum (Jul '11) 4 hr buster hyman 13
jeff vaughn not dories jeff violas jeff is a rat 6 hr Mee 3
terry smith from the creek 6 hr Curious 3
poachers on davis bend (Nov '10) 7 hr take my word 19
Need food badly 7 hr koko 53
Court Dockets 9 hr Jackie 3
what happen on the creek ambulances an law is u... 9 hr Get a life 8
Porsche mills 23 hr Well.... 24
To the Garland family Thu Well.... 3