Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,393

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#107715 Jun 29, 2013
King James Version (KJV Bible)

In 1604, King James I of England authorized that a new translation of the Bible into English be started. It was finished in 1611, just 85 years after the first translation of the New Testament into English appeared (Tyndale, 1526). The Authorized Version, or King James Version, quickly became the standard for English-speaking Protestants. Its flowing language and prose rhythm has had a profound influence on the literature of the past 400 years. The King James Version present on the Bible Gateway matches the 1987 printing.

The KJV is public domain in the United States.

Matthew 16:23
King James Version (KJV)

23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

“A Idiot Thinks Im Savoir Faire”

Since: Mar 13

Paranoid That I Am Everywhere

#107716 Jun 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose asking for evidence of this is too much to ask. As of yet this has never been witnessed, nor documented, as far as I know.
That's not 100% true. Some animals kill for fun.

A well fed dog that kills chickens, the whole coop at once with no desire to eat them and they are not presenting a threat.

And the animal that kills for fun and just for sport the most,,, HUMANS! Case closed.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#107717 Jun 29, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding? several primates commit Murder within their own troops and have went on War Paths attacking other troops and killing all that they can...
Your Cat has never killed a bird or other small animal just to play with until they kill it? Mine do all the time and will do so and drop them on the door step as presents....
Wolves will many times attack and kill rivals with and outside of the pack because of plain dominance...
http://sciencefocus.com/qa/do-animals-murder-...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/33...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-19353...
So you are asserting that you know what they were thinking, I expect that from a creatard, not you. All animals are territorial, all of them, without exception, because that trait has proven beneficial in the wild. They also need practice at their skills, to hone them better, all animals also learn, and the biological brain works best through practice and making mistakes. Then there are the psychological instabilities and drugs. A whole slew of possible reasons that could baffle even the greatest minds simply because they don't know where to look.

Felines practice their skills, but they always eat what they kill ... eventually. Domestic felines do not have to eat their kills immediately, thanks to them being in a more protected environment, so they would not feel the pressures those in the wild do to consume their kill right there. But it is in the felines' instincts to hunt, stalk, and even chase, so your domestic cat example is moot, it's simply acting on known instinctual behaviors. Domestic felines are not that far removed from their feral kin, in mannerisms and instincts, and the feline has been heralded as the perfect hunter.

As to the others, we know they learn, and practice, much like we do. Though their methods are not always understood. They even teach others, and prune their own populations when resources are scarce. We have documented cases of apes teaching their offspring to use tools, many such things, as well as birds and other animals doing the same thing. Why is it such a stretch to consider that they'd also teach their own how to fight and just take it too far, we have a word for that phenomenon when humans do it, berserk rage.

Then there is the tiny technicality of murder implying law, but that is a minor technicality.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#107718 Jun 29, 2013
replaytime wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not 100% true. Some animals kill for fun.
A well fed dog that kills chickens, the whole coop at once with no desire to eat them and they are not presenting a threat.
And the animal that kills for fun and just for sport the most,,, HUMANS! Case closed.
So now you not only know everything about every poster on here, you can also read the minds of animals.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#107719 Jun 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says incest and polygyny doesn't happen in other countries??
Most such countries also ban same sex marriage, so your point is still moot.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#107720 Jun 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Buy a cat. Find your evidence.
I have raised 5 from kittens, and took in several strays in my lifetime. My first kitten chose me when I was about 8, she was put to sleep due to a broken hind limb, back then such breaks were considered a death sentence for animals due to lacking proper medical understanding of their physiology. My second feline companion chose me a few years after the first passed away, she was full grown when I met her, and the best feline I knew. She would chase dogs, even the large pittbulls down the street, back into their yards when they were out without a leash. I raised her granddaughter from a kitten too. The first feline I leash trained I adopted when I was in Colorado, my first real road trip started then, use to run with her to chase the birds, since we were car bound a lot. After that all my felines were leash trained, so when I lived in the city I could take them to the park to hunt. One kitten I adopted was from a litter of kittens which a stray had in my apartment, I fed the local strays all the time. She was an excellent hunter, took down a large bird of prey once, it was pestering her so she figured out a trap for it. It was a beautiful sight to see her take down her first large prey. She was the second toughest feline companion I ever had. My last one, yeah, I'm skipping a few to make this short, was a rescued stray. He was very timid and was never more than 10 feet from me when outside. Leash trained but never needed it. But then, he was beaten into submission by other humans, the scars were there to remind me of the horrible things the apes called humans are capable of.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#107721 Jun 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>So you are asserting that you know what they were thinking, I expect that from a creatard, not you. All animals are territorial, all of them, without exception, because that trait has proven beneficial in the wild. They also need practice at their skills, to hone them better, all animals also learn, and the biological brain works best through practice and making mistakes. Then there are the psychological instabilities and drugs. A whole slew of possible reasons that could baffle even the greatest minds simply because they don't know where to look.

Felines practice their skills, but they always eat what they kill ... eventually. Domestic felines do not have to eat their kills immediately, thanks to them being in a more protected environment, so they would not feel the pressures those in the wild do to consume their kill right there. But it is in the felines' instincts to hunt, stalk, and even chase, so your domestic cat example is moot, it's simply acting on known instinctual behaviors. Domestic felines are not that far removed from their feral kin, in mannerisms and instincts, and the feline has been heralded as the perfect hunter.

As to the others, we know they learn, and practice, much like we do. Though their methods are not always understood. They even teach others, and prune their own populations when resources are scarce. We have documented cases of apes teaching their offspring to use tools, many such things, as well as birds and other animals doing the same thing. Why is it such a stretch to consider that they'd also teach their own how to fight and just take it too far, we have a word for that phenomenon when humans do it, berserk rage.

Then there is the tiny technicality of murder implying law, but that is a minor technicality.
So lets say we can blame instinct when cats kill and don't eat. That still doesn't mean we should use humans as targets when honing our sniping skills. So my point still stands that just because animals do it, doesn't mean we should.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#107722 Jun 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Most such countries also ban same sex marriage, so your point is still moot.
No, it really isn't. No matter how bad you want it to be.
So lets have your answer. Are you ok with all forms of incest being legal and supported because they are consenting adults?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#107723 Jun 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I have raised 5 from kittens, and took in several strays in my lifetime. My first kitten chose me when I was about 8, she was put to sleep due to a broken hind limb, back then such breaks were considered a death sentence for animals due to lacking proper medical understanding of their physiology. My second feline companion chose me a few years after the first passed away, she was full grown when I met her, and the best feline I knew. She would chase dogs, even the large pittbulls down the street, back into their yards when they were out without a leash. I raised her granddaughter from a kitten too. The first feline I leash trained I adopted when I was in Colorado, my first real road trip started then, use to run with her to chase the birds, since we were car bound a lot. After that all my felines were leash trained, so when I lived in the city I could take them to the park to hunt. One kitten I adopted was from a litter of kittens which a stray had in my apartment, I fed the local strays all the time. She was an excellent hunter, took down a large bird of prey once, it was pestering her so she figured out a trap for it. It was a beautiful sight to see her take down her first large prey. She was the second toughest feline companion I ever had. My last one, yeah, I'm skipping a few to make this short, was a rescued stray. He was very timid and was never more than 10 feet from me when outside. Leash trained but never needed it. But then, he was beaten into submission by other humans, the scars were there to remind me of the horrible things the apes called humans are capable of.
So you should have witnessed one killing for a reason other than food.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#107726 Jun 30, 2013
1859536680 play a game wrote:
if you know the person that this number belongs to then tell them game on!


You are a digit shot there bubba

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107727 Jun 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Pride in your own opinions separates you from God.
That's code for "using your brain". I'm happy to be separated if that be the case, my friend. Happy indeed.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107728 Jun 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You asked Q about the slippery slope. Polygyny would most likely be next, followed by incest, and I would wager, it will eventually come to human and animal. And in maybe 200 years people will be considered bigots for not wanting incest and beastiality to occur.
No, no, no.

It will not come to humans and animals. Holy hell, people. What part of adult, mutual, and consent do you NOT understand??

Homosexuality is a sexual orientation. Being attracted to your sister is NOT. Desiring five wives is NOT. Those are completely different issues.

And if they ever came to the forefront of the culture wars (I doubt they will, personally, because far fewer people are compelled to practice incest or have multiple spouses) then we will parse the subject out fully, in public and open dialog...just like we have been doing with homosexuality for decades.

Jesus effin' Christ. If I was as scared of everything as you guys seem to be I'd just never leave the house.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107729 Jun 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You consider rulers of countries as bumpkins?
My point is, just because it is mainstream doesn't mean it's right, so why teach it until it is known? If it was taught as an uncertainty, I'd be ok with that. But to teach mainstream opinion as fact can be dangerous.
Yes, some rulers are bumpkins. Especially a thousand years ago. The "mainstream" of expert opinion does not always match what the uneducated are thinking. We have congressmen right now who believe the earth is about 6000 years old and that women's bodies can "shut down" rape sperm.

Science is always a provisional engagement. It is not absolute. Everything single theory that I am willing to call fact on this day could be overturned in the future in light of new evidence and new theories.

But in the meantime we have to teach kids what we think is the best idea today. The big problem, I think, is that we don't teach kids critical thinking at an early age. For some reason we are afraid it will cause them to question our authority or something. But without critical thinking skills you get adults who think Zija cures warts and a hologram on a plastic bracelet improves your balance.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107730 Jun 30, 2013
Leaving the Light On wrote:
Leviticus 20:13
King James Version (KJV)
13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
1 Corinthians 6:9-10
King James Version (KJV)
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
Romans 12:17-19
King James Version (KJV)
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
So?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107731 Jun 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a case right now of a father and a daughter who were separated when she was young. They met, formed a sexual relationship, then found out they were related.
They are trying to prove that there is a biological attraction there because they are blood related, when in most cases, if they had been able to stay together, forms a mental block that tells the brain that person is off limits. Kinda like if your sister was hot, you'd still think she was gross. But if you were separated, you wouldn't see it that way. In other words, they are trying to prove that this is natural, and biologically sound.
You have a link? Please post.

I'll be totally honest. I've given it some thought and if two brothers, for example, wanted to have a relationship I cannot find a reason to say it is wrong or illegal. It does seem to be a situation in which nobody can get hurt as a *necessary* result of the relationship.

However, when a man and a woman get together we all know that babies can come out of the mix. And doing a very quick survey of the data it seems like there is a shockingly high percentage of birth defects and mortality involved with offspring of closely-related people. It isn't quite as high with brother-sister unions but with parent-offspring unions the numbers are very high (like 20% or more?).

So we have a serious problem, I think. There seems to be no moral argument against incest that I can think of. Therefore my instinct would be to allow it. To each his own, you know.

But the incredibly high rate of birth defects seems compelling enough that it would be justified to prevent inbreeding somehow. But that gets us into sticky territory. Body autonomy is very important. If I want to have a baby it is not your business. Yet if we know that there is a 25% chance my baby will be horribly disfigured or will die shortly after birth maybe there is some argument that could be made to limit my right to have a child.

I don't know. That's a really tricky one. Again, I don't see it rising to the level of a genuine public debate. There are just too many things stacked against it and not nearly enough people interested in it. And it is not a sexual orientation, as I said before.

In terms of its relationship to the gay marriage issue, this is nothing but a dumb red herring meant to scare people. But it is an interesting topic to pursue on its own merits.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#107732 Jun 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it really isn't. No matter how bad you want it to be.
So lets have your answer. Are you ok with all forms of incest being legal and supported because they are consenting adults?
No, I am not. But this has nothing to do with the price of rice in China.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#107733 Jun 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So you should have witnessed one killing for a reason other than food.
Yes, for practice and honing their skills, and domain, traits that are beneficial to a species.
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

#107734 Jun 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Your stance on gay marriage is not a defense for homosexuals. It is an attack on their equality.
I am sure many slave owners claimed a few black persons as their friends also.
What a crock!
Yer ok with planned murder of minority children, and claim crap like this...
We (Christians) will not hunt down, and kill gays!
It's you liberals like Margret Sanger that placed those murder clinics in strategic locations, and then tell them it's ok to kill their Babies if the want to!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

#107735 Jun 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Shouldn't all scientists use the same process to come up with the same answer?
Not ALL of the WANT the same answer!
Darkness hates the Light!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

#107736 Jun 30, 2013
the = them...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Not paying child support 10 min sick of keeping t... 5
mr fields at it again 17 min Lol 2
HeShe backing warren for judge 29 min Lol 2
who will you vote for as jailer 45 min Want to know 31
Mary Hammons Resigns as Jailer 59 min lie detector 5
lisa Anderson 1 hr barsnap 1
stud for Yorkie 1 hr Bad Boy Muscles a... 2
Who works at both the Advocate and the jail? 15 hr Patty 11
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]