Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
102,801 - 102,820 of 129,058 Comments Last updated 5 hrs ago
Scared for our future

Harlan, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

kellerman wrote:
It's not appropriate to teach religion in school. we live in a diverse society and can't teach all religions in schools. One has to keep these separate, it's up to the parents to inform their children on religious upbringing. I thought this issue was long solved, but i see it keeps coming back up.
take god out of school or any place and the devil has open door.i chose God.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Scared for our future wrote:
<quoted text>take god out of school or any place and the devil has open door.i chose God.
You chose a myth over another myth, congrats, you are gullible.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
That is almost as dumb as everything else you've said. I second what the other poster said. You know Americans who are "pro anti-heresy laws"?? Do they inhabit a psycho ward?
I'm pro free speech and anti-heresy law, down with political correctness. I offer Yiago and associates as proof.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No.. no pot.. been dry around these parts... The comment was about Progress... Homosexuality is far from Progress.... As I said History 1000's of years ago made it the Norm in several societies that then collapsed... Calling something Progress that happened several times in the past is Not very Progressive....
I type using my style... Since it is Impossible to denote tone and emphasis in the printed word I Capitalize those words I would tend to Emphasize during a verbal conversation....
You are correct. "Homosexuality" is not progress, it is a sexual orientation.

Progress is expansion of rights and reduction of suffering, both of which I am a great fan of.

We've come to a point in this society where ideas about sexuality have changed but we still have this very conservative group that still resists the change. We already know that homosexuality itself is as natural as anything else and occurs with low frequency without any necessary harm. So now the question shifts. What is it about the acceptance of homosexuality as a normal human condition that you believe is dangerous?

There has never been a society that was destroyed because of homosexuality. Societies come and go and the reasons are complex. Do not pin it on one small segment of a population who have only asked to be treated like human beings.

And please don't pull the "I have gay friends" card. That is insulting whether its gays, blacks, or Jews. Everyone has gay friends. The questions is how you want them to be treated, not how much you dislike Pride Parades.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't think much of it on a college level. But I don't agree with public schools teaching it to minors. This is something that parents aren't going to agree on, so it should be left to the parents to teach their children.
The public schools should be teaching mainstream ideas based on the consensus of experts. Within that context, homosexuality is normal. Therefore mentioning homosexuality as a normal human sexual orientation in a public school should present no problem for a parent.

If teaching kids mainstream ideas is problematic for a parent then that parent needs to find a private school that upholds his personally held values. They have bigot schools too, you just have to pay for them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't the same, terrible explicative, thing.
Even the founders of some of the main denominations today were quoted as saying they knew that the church they were starting was not completely correct, but it was better than anything on the earth at that time. Roger Williams even said that until angels and apostles restored it, Jesus' church would never be on earth again.
The LDS church claims just that, that it is a restoration of the primitive church, restored by Jesus Christ and His apostles.
It does not claim to be another denomination that attempted to correct the misinterpretations of other denominations, but a complete restoration led by Jesus Christ Himself.
Ah, I see. You have angels in your church.

I stand corrected.

Don't the wings get in the way of seeing the service if you're sitting behind the angels? Or are they able to make them invisible?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
...The LDS church claims just that, that it is a restoration of the primitive church, restored by Jesus Christ and His apostles. It does not claim to be another denomination that attempted to correct the misinterpretations of other denominations, but a complete restoration led by Jesus Christ Himself...
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, I see. You have angels in your church.
I stand corrected.
Don't the wings get in the way of seeing the service if you're sitting behind the angels? Or are they able to make them invisible?
I don't see how a primitive church could pass a building inspection today. Well, maybe in rural Kentucky...

I bet this is yet another reason why a lot of people confuse Mormons with JWs. Both of them claim this "restoration of the real church" thing.
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Ugh. U speekeduh Baptist.
da hole countery is norf anduh norf wes of heer, butns we gots lotsuh peepl frum norf anduh norf ees anduh Buttflo mooved 2 doun heers to.
I say "Lucky fer youins'.."

And don't make me go into the N.O. Act lol.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

mantle wrote:
<quoted text>
I can make the connection.
Based on your recent comments about blind faith and magic made it abundantly clear that the topic of faith is beyond your comprehension..
There are 2 ways of interpreting your comments;
Either you do not understand the basis for our Christian faith or
You mock those who truly believe.
I suspect that you mock that which you do not understand....
In which case,making the connection for you,would serve no useful purpose.
Do not give that which is holy to dogs and cast not your pearls before swine.
That is some pretty swift dancing to avoid having to articulate your accusations explanation.
You may have fooled your fellow fundies, but it is clear to others you are just running.
Blind faith is not hard to understand. All you have to do is hide from the hard questions and the faith stays with you. It is called denial. Denial to stay in delusion.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, suggests is as conclusive as you can get in science. When evidence suggests something, that means it "points" to that thing, and no alternative. You should learn English and then scientific lingo before you attempt to address such issues.
"Suggests" in the manner that you wish to use it, could be used by believers to point to a creator. You can't have it both ways.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>If this was in any way an accurate assessment of the situation, you would be capable of providing evidence of these assertions. Since you are unable to do so, they are no more valid than any of the thousands of other such claims made by the followers of the millions of other gods.
Evidence of which assertions?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>What is "teaching" homosexuality and who says they do?

Nope, that is just you twisting my words as usual. I spoke of teaching not to bully homosexuals. You really seem to blend your propaganda with what we say. The delusion is large in this one.
Then speak more clearly. Several posts suggested something different than what you claim you said.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Strange how you avoided responding to any of my posts from yesterday. Funny how you claim to try to answer all questions asked.
The delusion is large.
When I get behind a few days, I catch up by responding to posts that deserve a response. If I missed one, I must have thought it didn't deserve one, or maybe skimmed too quickly. Sorry. If you want to ask again, I will try to answer.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
Heads up, mantle and I will attempt to explain Mike's question to you.

I'm going to spell it out for you very simply.

IF Yahweh is all powerful, can he create a rock he can't pick up?

"Of course he is all powerful," you say, "so yes, he can."

BUT if he is all powerful and CAN NOT pick up something, then he is NOT all powerful.

By the same token, if he CAN'T create a rock he can't pick up, then he is NOT all powerful.

This is called a paradox.
Since neither answer can be true, we must look to the question to find out why.

The question shows us that Yahweh IS NOT all powerful, no matter what you think the correct answer is.
If he is not all powerful, then the bible is incorrect.

This demonstrates that the bible was just written by superstitious goatherders.
"God" disappears in a puff of logic.

Logical thinking. Awesome, it's it?
This question is answered differently than you desire. The answer is: there is no purpose for God to create a rock to simply pick it up. He only creates things that have a purpose that fits in with His will. It is not His will to test Himself, or have you attempt to test Him.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This question is answered differently than you desire. The answer is: there is no purpose for God to create a rock to simply pick it up. He only creates things that have a purpose that fits in with His will. It is not His will to test Himself, or have you attempt to test Him.
Well, that was disappointing. I've seen you dodge better than this before. It isn't a question of "why hasn't he?" it's a question of "could he?".

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
"Suggests" in the manner that you wish to use it, could be used by believers to point to a creator. You can't have it both ways.
Incorrect, you don't seem to want to learn anything, since this has all been explained to you already. That means you are only attempting to discredit something you know nothing of, which is rather ironic, since you clearly know almost nothing about being a Mormon either.
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Other stories have lasted longer and been just as popular albeit in other than middle eastern and European areas... The Chinese story of man and the religious views were written about, documented and taught for millennium before the Jewish/Christian story line.... Before that several civilizations came and went with completely different belief systems... You can tell anyone anything you like and I reserve the right to call such belief Delusional...
True...still the most popular story and believable evidently ... And best selling BOOK ever ... U enjoy thinking this is it and I will continue to b happy knowing that death is not the end.:-)
happy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Opinion noted...... Delusion, Ignorance, self absorbed ego is a sadder place to be... And that's where you reside...In My opinion...
Not delusional at all..I have my proof. You can have it to, but must be to proud to ask..

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that was disappointing. I've seen you dodge better than this before. It isn't a question of "why hasn't he?" it's a question of "could he?".
What causes disappointment in a fool?
An appropriate answer to his fooloish question

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Khubala wrote:
<quoted text>
An appropriate answer to his fooloish question

Correction

A fool may notice
An appropriate answer to his foolish question

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

35 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Alvin 1 hr Crazy Maniac 1
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr heres 147,385
danny jordan.woman user 2 hr bcc65 1
Teresa Johnson and Rex 2 hr wondering 12
Lasha Hoskins (Jun '09) 2 hr friend 11
chicken fight felony 3 hr Joe Kerr 11
Our guys.... not the best guy 3 hr plain facts 14
john sowders 7 hr she will 15
New club in Barbourville? 14 hr Bville resident 20