Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,112

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#107298 Jun 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Leave it to the parents to tell his children whether it's okay to beat up the gay kid? Sounds like a bigot to me. Maybe gays should get pink triangles on their visitors' badges if they visit a school?
I'm going to guess you're against sex ed., too - even if the parent is "Daddy says I'm the best" Eddie.
I didn't say anything about beating up someone. I teach my kids never to interfere in the lives of others unless it is to befriend them. I have gay friends believe it or not.
And no, I'm not against sex ed. I just prefer it be done by bringing a medical professional in for that class.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#107299 Jun 21, 2013
It's good when one can laugh at oneself. I resemble some of these! lol

Location hidden

#107300 Jun 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>What is "the slope thing?" Do a web search for "man wants to marry goat." It's a fraud - which is probably what the course was about. Urban myths. Don't believe everything you hear - it starts religions and then people get REALLY stupid.
I don't get the allure of piercings, but they do close up if the post or whatever is left out.
Slippery slope that has been discussed here before is what I was referring to.
Yes someone else mentioned it was a hoax. That's great, but it will happen soon enough even if it's just to make a statement.

Yes most piercings heal up. But most still leave scars. I can tell the guys that I work with that used to have them. There's still an indention. Funny thing is, a girl that worked for me had quarter sized gauges in. She tried to tell me it would grow right back if she took them out. That still makes me laugh.

Location hidden

#107301 Jun 21, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I can't agree that homosexuality does not go against nature. There is no proof that people are born gay. Therefore, I do not want schools teaching that to my children in school.

I submit exibit A: Here's your proof.
Sorry but there is no conclusive evidence.

Location hidden

#107302 Jun 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Then you have not been "looking it up." There are numerous studies showing that sexual drives are genetic, of course there is also just plain old logic to demonstrate this as well. Of course, that means you have to actually study things like evolution, genetics, and neurology.
So why haven't all the scientists that do this for a living found conclusive evidence yet? I'm not a scientist. Don't blame me.

Location hidden

#107303 Jun 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, if you were a psychologist and knew a bit about the brain, you'd study their brains to figure out what triggered the mass delusion, unless there was any solid evidence supporting their story.
Or maybe any regular joe could conclude maybe it's not a delusion.

Location hidden

#107304 Jun 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>That sort of makes your notion a failure, without adding anything to it. Since your church is new, the numbers have only swelled, there is no "falling away" at all, during the time that the church actually existed. Thus, either the "prophecy" was incorrect in the order of events, or it was made up.
What?
Sounds like you are mixed up. The church fell away sometime after the apostles all were killed or died. By the time of Constantine, it is obvious that God was not speaking to man. They couldn't decide on important doctrinal issues because they had no direct revelation from God anymore. This was apostasy.

Location hidden

#107305 Jun 21, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Those things have NOT happened yet!
"the heavens will be rolled up as a scroll"
This should tell you....
You will NOT be flying to another Planet to populate it...
Don't you think?
Another thing...
Read Revelation... NOWHERE does it say you'll fly off to another plane... NONE of the Bible says that! Only Joseph Smith...
The Conman!
Read the Bible man... throw away the BOM!
You will be glad you did!
I believe they have happened. Look at the corruption that has taken place in the Catholic Church since its beginning. And all Protestant churches came from it. And if the Bible is true when it says you can't grow good fruit from a dead tree, then this would mean the apostasy was in effect.

It is true that Revelation does not tell us this. But we also know that the Bible did not reveal to us all the mysteries of the Kingdom of God. We only received what they were ready to hear at the time. And Christ chastised them and called them ye of little faith. Imagine the knowledge we can obtain from God if we prepare ourselves to hear it. This is why we should not limit our knowledge of God's wonders to just this one record. The apostles said that they could not record all the many wonders that Jesus did on earth. Why would you not suppose that there is much more that we are supposed to learn?

I can't turn away from the knowledge that I have gained, as it has been confirmed to me by the same Holy Ghost that has confirmed to you that Jesus is the Christ.
All you have to do is study these things and ask God if it is true. You will be glad you did.
Even if you do and decide that it isn't of God, you still will have to study the Bible harder to compare the teachings, so either way you win, as you will be brought closer to Christ.

Location hidden

#107306 Jun 21, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>We showed you the reason, but you keep ignoring it. It is due to the bullying. Care to address it now or are you going to just keep your head in the sand and pretend you are not part of the problem?

Now you cite comedy shows as evidence?
Not evidence. I just try to be funny sometimes to lighten the mood.

Bullying does not need to be addressed by basically putting the subjects in the limelight. That only makes it worse for them anyway.
Do you really think if you had a class that taught us that nerdy people didn't deserve to be picked on would change the fact that people are going to single out the nerds to pick on them? No, it will only embarrass the nerds. It should be strictly taught and enforced at home and at school that bullying of any kind is wrong.

Just because I don't approve of the actions of some people doesn't mean I think they deserve to be beat up.

Location hidden

#107307 Jun 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Funny, his religion doesn't sound any more crazy than your religion. I mean "heavens roll up" .... seriously? How do you expect them to roll up like a scroll?
It's a metaphor. It means God will not speak with man for a period of time as if no more scripture will be given from direct revelation.
Have you never read Revelations? It is slammed full of metaphors.

Location hidden

#107308 Jun 21, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>He said that the gay couple was brought into a classroom, so I thought he was talking about public school and it was to address bullying. Then he says it was a college course (and doesn't name the course title), so it wasn't a k-12 school and all who were present were adults.
He said that a man wanted to marry a goat according to a radio news report that he flipped past. A web search reveals it was a spoof - but he thinks it still validates his "slippery slope" idea. So much for the integrity of his "priesthood."

I can just hear the good little LDS kids playing tag on the playground.
"My daddy" <punch> "says that you are" <punch> "Hold him!" "an abomination" <punch> <kick> "in the eyes of God" <kick>

Aww.. aren't they just sooo cute?
Sociology of Families. I have no problem naming the class for you. And that was many years ago. It was an elective in college. So as it has become more acceptable in society, we have people right in this forum that think it should be taught in grade school as a non-elective. I disagree. This has nothing to do with priesthood. This is my personal opinion.

And I told you how I was flipping channels and heard the goat crap. And that I kept flipping. I shook my head and kept going. I wanted to hear music anyway. But I still expect to hear it someday soon by someone trying to make a statement that they should have this right.

And again, I would never encourage violence or bullying of any kind. I serve on several movements to stop bullying currently. It is despicable to me in any form.
kino

Manchester, KY

#107309 Jun 21, 2013
kool

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107310 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You never heard of the Eddie's Mississippi leg hound (it's best if you just let him finish Clark)? That could easily be argued as consent by the same twisted minds that want to participate in it.
And no, I do not want public schools teaching children that homosexuality is ok. There is no reason to even touch on the subject to say whether it is ok or not. Leave it to the parents.
*BUZZZ* Wrong answer!

Since homosexuality is a naturally occurring human sexual orientation (been around since the beginning, dude) you cannot just ignore it. You are doing kids intellectual and moral harm by sweeping it under the rug or letting homophobic parents fill their heads with idiot tales of god killing fags.

And your slipper slope argument about homosexuality in society leading to bestiality in society is flat out stupid. And insulting.

If this is the line of reasoning you actually think is valid I revoke my comment that you are a reasonable person.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#107311 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe they have happened. Look at the corruption that has taken place in the Catholic Church since its beginning. And all Protestant churches came from it. And if the Bible is true when it says you can't grow good fruit from a dead tree, then this would mean the apostasy was in effect.
The LDS is a Protestant church, if it is a Christian church at all. Please don't tell me you actually think the LDS comes from before Catholicism.

So the LDS itself comes from a dead tree.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#107312 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So why haven't all the scientists that do this for a living found conclusive evidence yet? I'm not a scientist. Don't blame me.
They have, look at who is saying they have not.

Hint: It's not the scientists.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#107313 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe any regular joe could conclude maybe it's not a delusion.
Then "any regular joe" would be gullible ... oh wait, you are gullible.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#107314 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a metaphor. It means God will not speak with man for a period of time as if no more scripture will be given from direct revelation.
Have you never read Revelations? It is slammed full of metaphors.
What makes your "interpretation" better than another?
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

#107315 Jun 22, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You use force to keep gay marriage forbidden. These are your superstitious beliefs being forced upon others.
You have the right to not marry your own sex, but that is not good enough for you. You insist others marry as you do.
It's NOT a superstitious belief IF God is real, and...
He is!
Nowhere in our constitution does it say we Have to allow perverse people to do what they want!
If we do... you might as well release Sandusky, and every other sick person... After all... they were born that way!
Give me a break!
No... Romans 1 says it quite well, and that truth bothers you!
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

#107316 Jun 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, his religion doesn't sound any more crazy than your religion. I mean "heavens roll up" .... seriously? How do you expect them to roll up like a scroll?
You forget...
The Creator can/will do anything He wants...
He is bigger than what you see!
Get to know Him... You will be glad you did!

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#107317 Jun 22, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>
It's NOT a superstitious belief IF God is real, and...
He is!
Nowhere in our constitution does it say we Have to allow perverse people to do what they want!
If we do... you might as well release Sandusky, and every other sick person... After all... they were born that way!
Give me a break!
No... Romans 1 says it quite well, and that truth bothers you!
You claim your god is real, but you never provide evidence to suggest or support your god's existence. That makes you a liar or delusional, which is it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 2 min Mitch Fork 7,250
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min DITCH MITCH 155,472
Stealing from child's grave 22 min D Rogers 14
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 28 min BIG_STEVIE 81,661
T and L pawn 31 min True Anon 2
Joe and Teresa 33 min I wonder 13
barbourville utitlities ripoff 38 min True Anon 7

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]