Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
102,441 - 102,460 of 130,550 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#107147 Jun 19, 2013
Shunned wrote:
This is a random post and I apologize up front for my rambling but I'm here seeking opinions that are like/similar to my own. I grew up in church, it was a wonderful place where I was educated about this extraordinary man, Jesus Christ, who performed miracles and saved souls.
However, during that time, as a child, I went through periods of verbal and sexual abuse from relatives and bullying in school from other children. I wondered where the good lord was at when I was dealing with this. I was such an innocent good child at that time who did not deserve the treatment I received but received no help whatsoever from the good lord.
Out of pride and embarrassment, I kept a lot of what happened to me a big secret until nearly a year ago because there were others I felt I needed to protect from a few of these animals. Now the secrets are out and I've been having to deal with them all over again. I've prayed for healing for such a long time but the emotional pain I've felt refuses to go away. And I'm still waiting on the good lord.
The emotional scars dished out to me hindered my confidence build up for years. I've been single all my life. It's torture, it's a living hell. I have managed to have earned a college degree and have been a very dedicated employee with a decent salary but have had to deal with a lot of political ass kissing bullshit.
All this negative stuff has been compounding and I can't shake it off no matter how hard I try. Where's the good lord?
I'm at a point in my life that I'm ready to officially cut ties with all friends and family and only deal with people I only have to deal with. All I ever wanted was status along with the American Dream. But all I have despite my efforts are emotional scars from the verbal/physical abuse. I've done my best to be a good person. I haven't hurt a soul but I have a heart that is crushed. I want this hurt to stop, I never asked for it, I prayed for the good lord's help but still feel void of it.
I should be a happily married soul with children and a good job, but life has flown half way by and part of that equation is empty despite having friends and to some extent, family. Trying to please so many not including myself has cost me a lot of happiness. Shame on me.
I feel absolutely pathetic, I feel as if I was brought into this world to be a whipping post and I hurt so bad for that. Where's the good lord?
I apologize for my yapping but I needed to vent anonymously and found the safe place to do it. I'm at the point where I'm on the verge of cutting out the rest of my family and friends from my life. I'm so tired of hurting. It's a tragedy to think I know what my purpose in the world is only to not have a clue when push comes to shove.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I appreciate all the comments made both good and bad from those who choose to remark back to me.
Have a good evening.
Sounds a bit like my life!
Turn towards Christ, you'll find more peace than you thought!
God Bless :-)

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#107148 Jun 19, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I had spiritual experiences with God at an early age and came to gain a testimony of Jesus Christ and what He has done for us.
So your parents and peers convinced you as a young kid that Jesus was the man? Wow, that makes you just like 80% of the world that follows the religion of their parents. It is as easy as convincing a child Santa is real. The only difference is, no one tells you Santa/Jesus is not real as you get a bit older.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107149 Jun 19, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I associate with Muslims, atheists, Hindus, and a few from a religion I can't spell.
How do I speak of atheists?
Look up the word, associate and then look up the word, peers, and then get back to me.

You speak of atheists as if you have no idea what they actually think. Thus it is clear, you do not have any atheist peers.
You might associate with them, but do not really get to know them and have not been raised with them in your life.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107150 Jun 19, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything I post you will dispute. Look it up for yourself and you might believe me.
Cop out.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107151 Jun 19, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Go on the line to jw.org then scroll till you see (5) the book "What Does the Bible REALLY Teach" then look for chapter 11: "Why Does God Permit Suffering?"
There I'm sure you will find satisfying answers to your questions.
Sorry, but the excuses the bible gives for massive suffering do not equate with a powerful god, or a compassionate god.
Their is no need for this person to have suffered the abuse he did, and making excuses of the sort that the suffering was needed is sickening. In a way, you condone the abuse and support the abuser.
This twisted philosophy is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107152 Jun 19, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds a bit like my life!
Turn towards Christ, you'll find more peace than you thought!
God Bless :-)
If you read his post, you would know he tried that and it did not work.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107153 Jun 19, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"Now some people might need their feelings hurt a bit for some long term lessons to be taught. Anyone with kids, knows this."
So true!
Yet... some children never learn, but believe me...
When you learn that God is real, just as we've told you...
You'll understand why I've called you a tard!
I already know why you call all atheists, tards. It is due to your doctrine. It has created a hubris person who cannot understand those unlike himself.
I understand you, and I know why you believe. I do not agree with it, but I do not think you are stupid for doing so. You were just brainwashed by the religion. It is very human to follow such things. The smartest people can be brainwashed.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107154 Jun 19, 2013
Shunned wrote:
This is a random post and I apologize up front for my rambling but I'm here seeking opinions that are like/similar to my own. I grew up in church, it was a wonderful place where I was educated about this extraordinary man, Jesus Christ, who performed miracles and saved souls.
However, during that time, as a child, I went through periods of verbal and sexual abuse from relatives and bullying in school from other children. I wondered where the good lord was at when I was dealing with this. I was such an innocent good child at that time who did not deserve the treatment I received but received no help whatsoever from the good lord.
Out of pride and embarrassment, I kept a lot of what happened to me a big secret until nearly a year ago because there were others I felt I needed to protect from a few of these animals. Now the secrets are out and I've been having to deal with them all over again. I've prayed for healing for such a long time but the emotional pain I've felt refuses to go away. And I'm still waiting on the good lord.
The emotional scars dished out to me hindered my confidence build up for years. I've been single all my life. It's torture, it's a living hell. I have managed to have earned a college degree and have been a very dedicated employee with a decent salary but have had to deal with a lot of political ass kissing bullshit.
All this negative stuff has been compounding and I can't shake it off no matter how hard I try. Where's the good lord?
I'm at a point in my life that I'm ready to officially cut ties with all friends and family and only deal with people I only have to deal with. All I ever wanted was status along with the American Dream. But all I have despite my efforts are emotional scars from the verbal/physical abuse. I've done my best to be a good person. I haven't hurt a soul but I have a heart that is crushed. I want this hurt to stop, I never asked for it, I prayed for the good lord's help but still feel void of it.
I should be a happily married soul with children and a good job, but life has flown half way by and part of that equation is empty despite having friends and to some extent, family. Trying to please so many not including myself has cost me a lot of happiness. Shame on me.
I feel absolutely pathetic, I feel as if I was brought into this world to be a whipping post and I hurt so bad for that. Where's the good lord?
I apologize for my yapping but I needed to vent anonymously and found the safe place to do it. I'm at the point where I'm on the verge of cutting out the rest of my family and friends from my life. I'm so tired of hurting. It's a tragedy to think I know what my purpose in the world is only to not have a clue when push comes to shove.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I appreciate all the comments made both good and bad from those who choose to remark back to me.
Have a good evening.
I would love to help you work through this, but I am not really trained or experienced in abuse.
I think a professional therapist would help you in ways you might not imagine. Have you tried that yet?

I would think the first thing you need to understand is, you are not responsible for being abused. It is a thing someone did to you and you did not deserve. So I hope you are not blaming yourself for this.

I am not sure what your family and friends are saying that is so upsetting to you, so I cannot really comment on it.
If you wish to reveal some details, maybe we can help.
If you register on topix, you can private message us, if you prefer.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107155 Jun 19, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the compliment. I totally agree that people are way too relaxed in their salvation. I'm a "rules are rules" type of guy so I do my best to follow God's. I mess up from time to time, but I try to be a little better everyday.
If you wish to follow your superstitions rules fine, but when you tell others that they must follow the superstitious rules, we have a problem. IE, gay marriage.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107156 Jun 19, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I have a check, and balance too!
The God of the Bible saved me!
End of story, no changes needed!
A single check is not a balance.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#107157 Jun 19, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>That's something you're proud of, eh? You ponder that for a minute. I know you probably didn't click because you're scared of the internet or whatever, but regardless that's not what those links say. And I'm not upset... people take advantage of people and let other people starve every day. The concept is nothing out of the ordinary.
It's not that I'm scared of the Internet. It's that I don't trust you.

Location hidden

#107158 Jun 19, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>I certainly don't agree with everything you have to say, but I respect your presentation.
I understand

Location hidden

#107159 Jun 19, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>God speaks to me all the time!
The problem here is... You think you have the right Christ, and Christ never said you had to wear special underwear, and fly to Kolob a long with all the other Smith-ian garbage he ADDED to the Gospel of Christ..
No!
Smith was a conman!
This is ALL you need
John
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten
Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have
everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but that the world through him may be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the
world, and men have loved darkness rather than light, because
their deeds were evil.
Anything more... You've blown it!
Notice "only-begotten Son of God"...
I worship the same Christ. I just accept all of His doctrine. I realized early on that if we all had His complete doctrine, we would all believe the exact same way. But satan has caused confusion between sects of believers.

And of course I believe He is the only begotten Son. But I think you have to do more than simply believe in Jesus. The devil's demons believe in Him.

The "special underwear" is nothing more than an outward reminder of covenants that we made to our Heavenly Father. They are symbolic of the garments given to Adam and Eve to cover their nakedness so they remained modest. Nothing more.

We believe that God restored His full gospel through modern prophets. God is a God of order, and so He would want His church to have the same order. Not thousands of slightly different interpretations of His scriptures.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#107160 Jun 19, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>He could have made robots... A bunch of "Mini-me's"... No!
You have choices... choose wisely!
If your imaginary friend "could have made robots," then he should have.
After all he only wants one thing out of his "creations" ...that they worship him.

He could have built that in easily right from the start, right?
Why would it interfer with day-to-day living if we ALL believed in the same deity?
Wouldn't change who you married, what job you worked at, or who your friends were.
Wouldn't really change ANYTHING except there might be more peace in the world.

But you choose to believe that he gave mankind "free will."
Knowing that most would NOT worship him (omniscient, remember), he is ok with condemning most of those "souls" to eternal torture.

And you really think this kind of being should be deserving of respect, love, worship? Why?
Oh yes, because you think he did YOU a favor.
uuummm

London, KY

#107161 Jun 19, 2013
Shunned wrote:
Have a good evening.
I am sorry you have gone through so much.

Dr. Phil (yeah, I know) once told someone on his show that they could spend countless hours trying to figure out the 'why' of the situation or they could just change their actions and get on with life.

Of course that is easier said than done...but bad things happen to people through no fault of their own and we can't change the past. We don't know why. And god is a crutch people use but when their prayers don't get answered they tend to think it is just because yet another thing is their fault. It is not.

It is hard to deal with a difficult past but try not to waste your future seething in it. You are here today for a reason. Either god put you here or fate of the genes did. Either way this is it! Don't let what people did in the past ruin the now! Live it! If you have to cut out toxic people to have a good life then cut them out!

Also, check out books by Albert Ellis about rational emotive behavior therapy. There is a lot of free stuff online, too.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/REBT.html

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#107162 Jun 19, 2013
Shunned wrote:
Have a good evening.
This site is NOT healthy. If your guitar is broken, don't take it to a roller derby. Don't expect religious or secular people who can't relate to your experiences to offer the answers you need. There are people who have been though the same things you have and have come out the other side. In your position I might look to resources for adult survivors such as
http://www.ascasupport.org/index.php
I understand your desire to protect your anonymity, and I think that is right and proper for the internet and public. Be careful on your journey that your shame is not using it to protect itself, because you have no reason to be ashamed or bear the burden of guilt for others' actions. Those things and fear are your enemies. They want to keep you paralyzed, insulated and isolated. Despite what they make you feel they can't actually hurt you, but you don't need to face them by yourself and you do not need to live with misery. Be aware, the internet might have clues, but typing alone in a room is not The answer or Your answer.
uuummm

London, KY

#107163 Jun 19, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>God speaks to me all the time!
The problem here is... You think you have the right Christ, and Christ never said you had to wear special underwear, and fly to Kolob a long with all the other Smith-ian garbage he ADDED to the Gospel of Christ..
No!
Smith was a conman!
This is ALL you need
John
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten
Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have
everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but that the world through him may be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the
world, and men have loved darkness rather than light, because
their deeds were evil.
Anything more... You've blown it!
Notice "only-begotten Son of God"...
If that is all that is needed then stop using the Bible to force what you believe is the right actions on the rest of us. Thanks.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#107165 Jun 19, 2013
TO SHUNNED:

This site is NOT healthy. If your guitar is broken, don't take it to a roller derby. Don't expect religious or secular people who can't relate to your experiences to offer the answers you need. There are people who have been though the same things you have and have come out the other side. In your position I might look to resources for adult survivors such as
http://www.ascasupport.org/index.php
I understand your desire to protect your anonymity, and I think that is right and proper for the internet and public. Be careful on your journey that your shame is not using it to protect itself, because you have no reason to be ashamed or bear the burden of guilt for others' actions. Those things and fear are your enemies. They want to keep you paralyzed, insulated and isolated. Despite what they make you feel they can't actually hurt you, but you don't need to face them by yourself and you do not need to live with misery. Be aware, the internet might have clues, but typing alone in a room is not The answer or Your answer.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#107166 Jun 19, 2013
Dangit. Topix delayed my post, so I ended up duplicating. Sorry, folks.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#107167 Jun 19, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>He could have made robots... A bunch of "Mini-me's"... No!
You have choices... choose wisely!
Irrational buffoonery.
According to Genesis that is EXACTLY what He was trying to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min Buckwheat 1,588
knox board of ed raising taxes 51 min disgusted 4
The Audit 1 hr undecided 28
Hahaha 1 hr Funny 1
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Tollesboro Guy 81,601
Kevin Disney Central Elementary School 2 hr agree 6
Mayor. And school board candidates slinging Mud... 3 hr Humm 31
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 hr Cornelius Scudmister 151,291
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Knox County was issued at August 30 at 8:24PM EDT

•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••