Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148463 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#107346 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, this was a college course. It was part of the curriculum.
I was flipping channels when I heard the news. I kept flipping.
And the slope thing is most usually accurate. Look at piercings. I personally do not care if someone wants to poke holes all over themselves. To each his own, but I can guarantee that our society does not find it acceptable yet, because it limits their professional career greatly.
You failed to demonstrate what the slippery slope of piercings were.
Piercings on an excessive level in our society have always been problematic for many careers. So I see no slip or slope.

Even if some things do have a slippery slope, which I can agree that it happens, you cannot claim gay marriage will certainly cause one. Now you can worry about it all you wish, but you have yet to demonstrate with logic and reason how gay marriage is comparable to bestiality.

Not all changes cause a negative slippery slope.
Perceived possible slippery slopes are not a good reason to keep rights or privileges unequal.

I have no doubt that those who made up the idea of keeping women out of the priesthood were worried about the slippery slope of women in power this might lead towards.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#107347 Jun 22, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand why people can't get this.
When two adults have a relationship it is a mutual activity. Human sexuality is on a wide spectrum and it does include some very harmful things, such as bestiality. But bestiality is not a consensual adult relationship. For fuck's sake it involves two species.
The slippery slope I was referring to is when people assume that acceptance of homosexuality (mutual adult consent) leads to bestiality (animal rape).
Do you understand the difference? You are making a categorical error in your logic.
But the Slope is there, oiled and ready because the argument you make can also apply to 1 guy and 20 woman, 1 woman and 20 guys, 10 guys and 10 women...(mutual adult consent)... which then can Glide to segments thinking a 18 year old guy having sexual contact with a 16 year old girl is ok, or a 20 year old girl and a 16 year old boy... Or a 19 year old boy with a 15 year old boy... is ok because maturity is not a age thing.... Which can lead to a woman not seeing the problem with her Adult German Shepard showing her mutual adult consent ....

There is no error in my logic as all of the above has been at past points in human history Acceptable due to Social Norms of the time and the Only factor that sets the bar for a Heterosexual lifestyle is the social accepted norm of the time and the generalized movement of that social accepted norm historically slipped and slid in both directions...

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107348 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This is prophesied in the New Testament. We are told that before the second coming there would be a falling away from the church. We are also told that the heavens will be rolled up as a scroll (God will not directly speak to man. Ie. prophets) for a time. And we are also told there will be a restitution of all things.
I'm not saying He screwed up anything. I'm saying He fulfilled the prophesies.
Predicting a "falling away from the church" is not a prophesy, it is a prediction that would be in line with all religious history. It is an educated guess.

A prophesy would be something like claiming their would never be a falling away, and the prediction held true. This would truly be amazing and contradictory to all historical events.
But as usual, your religion is like all others.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107349 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If you put millions in a room alone and they all came out with the exact same story, I'd certainly investigate a little more.
Even the four gospels of the new testament do not tell the exact same story. One does not even tell of Jesus coming back to teach. Kind of a large part to leave out if it actually happened. Funny part is, this was the first known gospel to be written.
It is as if a few decades later the Jesus coming back to teach was added to the original story.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107350 Jun 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
But they don't come out with the same story.... If they came out with the same story there would not be 13,000 Christian denominations not to mention assorted Jewish, Muslim and other variations of the God delusion.... But in groups delusion can be contagious and is called Mass Hallucination...
We all keep pointing out this glaring fact, yet I never hear a rebuttal to the point.
In order to keep oneself in a delusion, one must ignore facts such as this. I assume this is why they never give a logical reason for the indisputable historical fact.

London, KY

#107351 Jun 22, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>We all keep pointing out this glaring fact, yet I never hear a rebuttal to the point.
In order to keep oneself in a delusion, one must ignore facts such as this. I assume this is why they never give a logical reason for the indisputable historical fact.
The Why is simple... "You cannot have a Logical, Rational conversation with an Illogical, Irrational person"

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107352 Jun 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
But the Slope is there, oiled and ready because the argument you make can also apply to 1 guy and 20 woman, 1 woman and 20 guys, 10 guys and 10 women...(mutual adult consent)... which then can Glide to segments thinking a 18 year old guy having sexual contact with a 16 year old girl is ok, or a 20 year old girl and a 16 year old boy... Or a 19 year old boy with a 15 year old boy... is ok because maturity is not a age thing.... Which can lead to a woman not seeing the problem with her Adult German Shepard showing her mutual adult consent ....
There is no error in my logic as all of the above has been at past points in human history Acceptable due to Social Norms of the time and the Only factor that sets the bar for a Heterosexual lifestyle is the social accepted norm of the time and the generalized movement of that social accepted norm historically slipped and slid in both directions...
Well animals other than humans cannot have constitutional rights and the sort, so the slope for that argument must be pretty darn long.
To keep our society relatively equal for humans, citing the slippery slope is not very good grounds, period, even if their is some possible slope to be seen.
You are withholding freedoms for others, due to perceived fears that are less than likely to come to fruition.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107353 Jun 22, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I did use the word "Tard"!
The shame would not be on me, as Being a Tard purposely is being ignorant/stupid! That is what it means!
Bible study does go on in our schools, and the proposed rules is what the bill was for!
The Bible has a great history in the US's founding, and growth, and the Lack of it... is our downfall!
Believing otherwise, and denying the evidence of it...
is being a Tard!
You really should look up the word before you try to define it. The irony is unbelievable.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107354 Jun 22, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Those things have NOT happened yet!
"the heavens will be rolled up as a scroll"
This should tell you....
You will NOT be flying to another Planet to populate it...
Don't you think?
Another thing...
Read Revelation... NOWHERE does it say you'll fly off to another plane... NONE of the Bible says that! Only Joseph Smith...
The Conman!
Read the Bible man... throw away the BOM!
You will be glad you did!
Sounds like someones holy ghost is not sending the correct telepathic messages.

London, KY

#107355 Jun 22, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well animals other than humans cannot have constitutional rights and the sort, so the slope for that argument must be pretty darn long.
To keep our society relatively equal for humans, citing the slippery slope is not very good grounds, period, even if their is some possible slope to be seen.
You are withholding freedoms for others, due to perceived fears that are less than likely to come to fruition.
"less than likely to come to fruition."

A Net Search dispels that view in a couple of clicks......

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107356 Jun 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, his religion doesn't sound any more crazy than your religion. I mean "heavens roll up" .... seriously? How do you expect them to roll up like a scroll?
Something that is not real can disappear without a trace.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107357 Jun 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"less than likely to come to fruition."
A Net Search dispels that view in a couple of clicks......
Then make your case.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107359 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything about beating up someone. I teach my kids never to interfere in the lives of others unless it is to befriend them. I have gay friends believe it or not.
And no, I'm not against sex ed. I just prefer it be done by bringing a medical professional in for that class.
So you are willing to pay more taxes for the medical professionals?

You do not have to directly tell someone to use violence to incite one to be violent.
The way you speak of homosexuality, you put it in line with crimes.
And we are not just talking about your personal kids. You are speaking on a world wide forum. You have opened up your views of this for all to see. And the way the Mormon church funded the agenda for prop. 8, you are part of the organization that conspires to demand those outside their church to follow your religious beliefs by way of law.
So when you now say you are against interference of others, I call bull. You seem to be in denial about so much.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107360 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Slippery slope that has been discussed here before is what I was referring to.
Yes someone else mentioned it was a hoax. That's great, but it will happen soon enough even if it's just to make a statement.
Yes most piercings heal up. But most still leave scars. I can tell the guys that I work with that used to have them. There's still an indention. Funny thing is, a girl that worked for me had quarter sized gauges in. She tried to tell me it would grow right back if she took them out. That still makes me laugh.
I still fail to see any comparison with the piercings. Care to elaborate?

No one is trying to make bestiality legal, or marriage to animals recognized by the state.
Just what is the common thread bestiality have with gay marriage?
It sounds to me as if you are just repeating talking points that have no rhyme or reason to them.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107361 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but there is no conclusive evidence.
You do not think their is conclusive evidence for evolution.
But if their was, what you would consider conclusive evidence, would that affect your stance one bit?

The evidence science has on the matter leads them to conclude it is innate for the time being. Now if you have some evidence to show the claim as wrong, lets see it.
Their is not many in the relating fields that think homosexuality is not innate. Maybe a tiny handful, that also think Noah's ark is real.

Schools teach the science that is of consensus with professionals, not the religious fanatics.

But the thing is, schools are mainly speaking of bullying homosexuals. Are you telling me that teaching this is wrong? Are you saying they should not condemn bullying?

No matter what your book of superstitions says about the matter, no scientific evidence shows one should be bullied about for their legal sexual preferences.

Now if you can show the schools are teaching something that is false, please show us, and be specific. Otherwise, you are just moaning about something that is likely not even happening.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107362 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So why haven't all the scientists that do this for a living found conclusive evidence yet? I'm not a scientist. Don't blame me.
Why can't science find a cure for cancer? Nature is complex.
But you just seem to expect science to pinpoint all the answers to all of the universe as if the universe was a simple machine.
I doubt a ton of money is being dumped into pinpointing homosexuality, as only the bigots are disputing its innate nature anyways.
Not as if evidence affects those who believe in Noah's ark anyways.

A person makes conclusions based upon the evidence. Well, a reasonable person does. No evidence points to homosexuality not being innate. All evidence points to it being innate.
Just as all evidence points to evolution being true, and none does not. Thus the evidence based person is likely to conclude homosexuality is innate. The superstitious may conclude otherwise.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107363 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe any regular joe could conclude maybe it's not a delusion.
I take the conclusions of those who base their decisions upon evidence over unfounded superstitions any day.

Regular Joe's in India conclude the Hindu gods are real.
Regular Joe's in the middle east conclude Mohammed was the true prophet.
Regular Joe's in ancient Egypt concluded that Ra was the sun god.
Their are hundreds of gods that have been invented by man that regular Joe's concluded were true.
But for some reason, this absolute fact is not taken into consideration by you. Or at least you never acknowledge the fact, nor show reason why it might not be relevant. You just ignore it to stay in delusion, just as all the regular Joe's I cited above.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107364 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What?
Sounds like you are mixed up. The church fell away sometime after the apostles all were killed or died. By the time of Constantine, it is obvious that God was not speaking to man. They couldn't decide on important doctrinal issues because they had no direct revelation from God anymore. This was apostasy.
It is obvious to me god never has spoken to man.
We show you evidence daily. The many beliefs in the many gods should be evidence enough.
What Constantine had was an army that beat the Romans, thus he had power to dictate religion, which he did.
Religions all through history spread by the sword. Christianity is certainly one of them.
Your religion is no different than others in history.
This is massive evidence of it being artificial. I make my conclusions based upon evidence of what is likely.
And what looks likely is, your god is no more real than Ra.

You would have had a better argument if your religion had sprouted to massive sizes without violence. It did not, so your religion is just as all others. Your religion trickled until a powerful leader of armies embraced it, and used it to build more armies.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107365 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe they have happened. Look at the corruption that has taken place in the Catholic Church since its beginning. And all Protestant churches came from it. And if the Bible is true when it says you can't grow good fruit from a dead tree, then this would mean the apostasy was in effect.
It is true that Revelation does not tell us this. But we also know that the Bible did not reveal to us all the mysteries of the Kingdom of God. We only received what they were ready to hear at the time. And Christ chastised them and called them ye of little faith. Imagine the knowledge we can obtain from God if we prepare ourselves to hear it. This is why we should not limit our knowledge of God's wonders to just this one record. The apostles said that they could not record all the many wonders that Jesus did on earth. Why would you not suppose that there is much more that we are supposed to learn?
I can't turn away from the knowledge that I have gained, as it has been confirmed to me by the same Holy Ghost that has confirmed to you that Jesus is the Christ.
All you have to do is study these things and ask God if it is true. You will be glad you did.
Even if you do and decide that it isn't of God, you still will have to study the Bible harder to compare the teachings, so either way you win, as you will be brought closer to Christ.
It is as if the bible can be interpreted in numerous ways, and this is why we have over 38,000 different sects. It is a testament to the holy ghost being only your own thoughts and beliefs, nothing more.

I see no evidence pointing to your stories as real, and all evidence points to the stories as being invented by man.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#107366 Jun 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Not evidence. I just try to be funny sometimes to lighten the mood.
Bullying does not need to be addressed by basically putting the subjects in the limelight. That only makes it worse for them anyway.
Do you really think if you had a class that taught us that nerdy people didn't deserve to be picked on would change the fact that people are going to single out the nerds to pick on them? No, it will only embarrass the nerds. It should be strictly taught and enforced at home and at school that bullying of any kind is wrong.
Just because I don't approve of the actions of some people doesn't mean I think they deserve to be beat up.
Look, if the religious kids are beating up the homosexual kids in school, then it is their RESPONSIBILITY to take charge, as you are clearly not doing the job. In fact, I think your words and your churches actions have compounded the situation.
Back in the "good old days" things like this were swept under the rug and never spoken of, just as with many abuses.

Will the kids listen to the teachers over your propaganda of homosexuality being on par with bestiality? Well it sure is an uphill battle with the likes your powerful, organized, bigot machine of a church, but I will be on the pro-active side instead of the "sweep it under the rug" side.

Violence upon homosexuals for the simple fact they are homosexuals, is a hate crime. It can carry some serious charges. I hope schools will teach the law, and encourage our kids to follow them and understand the consequences.

BTW, the only reason it is of hate, is due to the religious dogma/superstition you push.

Also, if you detect some anger in my tone, you would be correct, as your posts are really firing me up.
These are reasons why I protest superstitions, and will continue to do so as long as these injustices are being perpetrated by the superstitious.
This is why many are leaving religion. This fight will win you no converts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pam Dexter 22 min Wondering 3
Tyra smith 26 min Knox county man 3
To the person jealous of bonita 33 min RumpRanger 26
Brittani Logan Hammons 1 hr Gmoney 7
Coty Lee 1 hr Friend 1
Delmer Partin getting out of prison ? (Nov '12) 1 hr Info 50
Why do low class/ skanky people love tatoos so ... 1 hr Why 78
double shooting in knox co. 2 hr Ugh 31
Prayers Needed 5 hr swampfoot 9
Motorcycle Accident 11 hr swampfoot 9