Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
102,361 - 102,380 of 128,629 Comments Last updated 57 min ago
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You could have said the same about thunder, rain and lighting while claiming Zeus was responsible back in the day.
Just keep god in the gaps. It is a tried and true way to keep the faith.
How do some totally scientific minds temporarily explain severe thunder and lightning in wee early morning hours to scared witless three year olds, unable to yet grasp the natural concepts of occurence?

"Angels bowling in heaven"...and a grounding rod.

How "horrible" of them huh?

(I think not).
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea... Those damn abacus inventors....
No...any one still had to be able to manually count the beans then too!
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a Father & Daughter photo... You have something against short hair on girls?
LOL

Okay that's better.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
How do some totally scientific minds temporarily explain severe thunder and lightning in wee early morning hours to scared witless three year olds, unable to yet grasp the natural concepts of occurence?
"Angels bowling in heaven"...and a grounding rod.
How "horrible" of them huh?
(I think not).
Stupid, but not horrible. It's fairly harmless at that age. Kinda like Santa, but you must be proactive and tell them the truth when they can understand it.

What's horrible is when you tell them impossible fairy tales that they believe and continue to do so into adulthood, never allowing them to question its validity and threatening them with eternal torture if they try to. Then the poor child wanders through life believing in things they have absolutely no reason to, instead of reality, and wastes a significant amount of their finite existence doing the things that they think their fairy tale requires and brainwashing the next generation into doing the same.

So, yeah, I think that people shouldn't believe in Zeus (or any other Greek God), and they certainly shouldn't tell their children to. Very horrible.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all,Atheists are the least qualified to pass judgement on my behaviour.
What goes on between me and God,is between me and God.
Can you explain this oath or covenant that I have taken?
Do you believe in Christ or do you deny him?
Your attempts to make me feel guilt are futile.
Fuggedaboutit.......
Can I explain this oath? Of course I can. Can't you? Allow me.... Are you indeed a Christian, if you are, you took an oath to follow and keep the ten commandments, to turn the other cheek, yada, yada, yada. You keep reminding all of us that your relationship is personal between you and God, I'm not sure You even know what that relationship is or should be. You can't pick which portion of the bible you choose to follow and which part not to follow, it don't work that way. In my opinion you have (what I call selective christianity) when it's convienant for you, you are a christian, any other time, not so much! I respect everyone's opinion on this thread, even your opinion. But please don't pretend to be the better person just because you are claiming a faith based religion!
Wake up

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

He is real
How stupid can you be

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see, the bible says more war, we have less than ever. More violence, we have less than ever. More suffering, we have less than ever. Seems it's not going like your bibles claimed it would at all.
Excuse me?
Do you own a TV?
Like I said before...
You are either Clueless, or a Liar...
I'm going for Liar!
Good day!
How stupid can you be

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible says snakes and donkeys can talk.
It says that bats are birds, whales are fish and rabbits chew cud.
It says that if you show a stripped stick to a pregnant cow it will give birth to a stripped calf.
And you have the nerve to say the bible is inerrant..and you think everyone should live by its rules?
When you get gas for your car on Sunday on the way to church or go in the mart to get a snack, do you chide the employee for working? Better yet, do you stone him/her?
The bible tells you to. Is it lying there?
How about your wife for cooking dinner on Sunday? That's another big no-no.
If you are trimming your beard, you are going against "god's word."
Wearing clothes made of mixed fabrics?
You are a cafeteria Christian.
"I like that (and can do it easily and I agree with it) so I'll do THAT... hmmm, but not THAT other one (since it is inconvenient). I'll hate gays but still have me some shrimp at the buffet."
You are such a hypocrite.
Excuse me... Again!
Jesus said the Love God, Love your Neighbor, and Love your enemies!
Would you like to show me where in that teaching it says to hate gays?
See.. you really know so little, as I have lived that Gay lifestyle, AND have been cleansed, and saved by Jesus' Blood on the Cross... Totally forgiven for my perversions, and THAT is what we want for ALL sinners... even you!
No hate! Just understanding, understanding that there is NOTHING better, that Christ's Love for us!
Jesus said it ALL in John...
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten
Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have
everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but that the world through him may be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the
world, and men have loved darkness rather than light, because
their deeds were evil.
3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither
cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
3:21 But he that doeth truth, cometh to the light, that his
deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
You believe what you want... I know the Truth!
Good day!
ProvenSCIENCE

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid,
Do you know what's stupid?

You are-for being so ignorant in thinking that people that might have beliefs and minds of their own wouldn't or don't havehave walking around sense.
And I'm about to show you just exactly HOW stupid and IGNORANT that is.

hat was told to ME one bad stormy night, by my own male parent, an orphan-most likely due to the polio epidemics of the 30's who held a MASTERS PLUS (count 'em--Seven years FORMAL education) and TAUGHT SCIENCE for THIRTY.
And here's a virtual smack in your ignorant mouth.

There was NO living in an sort FAIRY TALE about it-NONE, NADA, NOTHING, but the HARD work of a man who served his countries requirement of, who served his countries service requirements, then had sense AND gumption
enough to get himself educated, so as to be a vital, productive member of society and take care of his family-rather than be a suck of a givverment LEACH. A man who never took a dime he didn't EARN himself from any body--for ANYTHING, except through his own ETHICS of a lifetime of WORK. A man who taught two girls and THEN some, where the REAL "spirit" of such behind "Santa Claus" was about--HUMBLY, with out pride or ignorant vain arrogance, or expectation of any sort of public "for show aknowledgement".
A man who also taught his own-as well as MANY, MANY others, over THIRTY years, MANY valuable life lessons-aside from Science, such as the importance of being PERSONALLY responsibility for ones SELF, NEVER shielding the REALITY of the REAL world of NO FREE LUNCHES-EVERYBODY contributes, and when people are doing their humane best-DECENT people do NOT complain, especially out some sort of WARPED entitlement that they deserve more than what they could even EVER think about giving themselves.
That also meant being grateful for the basic human needs being provided and when and if we wanted more-we were whole heartedly ENCOURAGED to GET OUT THERE AND EARN IT-HONESTLY--off our OWN accord. And that ETHIC of WORK and personal responsibility taught us well, well enough to have helped us contribute to the family structure at early ages, ratehr than expecting UNrealistic expectations of ONE mere human, by taking on responsibilities such as paying our own incrued BILLS at young teen ages, such as proms, our own cars (purchased with our OWN WORKED for paychecks) the insurance for them, clothes and a host of other personal choices we chose to endevour.
We were also WELL taught the difference between RIGHT and WRONG--NEVER being "threatened" with any of that "hell fire" hatefulness, because we were taught we reaped what we sowed-HERE-on this earth...as in MORE personal accountability for ones own actions!
We were also taught that TIME is a terrible thing to WASTE-so therefore, we never had TIME to WASTE on entertaining ANY unrealistic expectations of some "fantasy world" because our lives have ALWAYS been full- Productively and Positively busy--- WORKING and EARNING our OWN ways!!
And when that same man became ill after many years of nose to the grindstone-the LAST book I watched him personally study with intent-Was-THE BIBLE. That's right-the BIBLE...as read by a man of SCIENCE.

Probably because he WELL knew the difference in the USELESSNESS of mere greek mythology and what ANY other people or culture believed, and that of what would HELP in his OWN spiritual guidance.

And posts like yours just make me realize all the more- just HOW blessed I was- to have had grown up at the knee of such ENLIGHTENMENT and common sense-rather than that of IGNORANCE and hate.
Because Enlightenment and Common Sense, has served me
WELL...FAR more so than bred of ignorance and hate could ever comprehend.

GOD BLESS his HEART for it-where ever it may now rest--and a Happy Fathers' Day tribute to my OWN DAD...because he certainly lives ON in mine.
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me... Again!
See.. you really know so little, as I have lived that Gay lifestyle, AND have been cleansed, and saved by Jesus' Blood on the Cross... Totally forgiven for my perversions, and THAT is what we want for ALL sinners... even you!
No hate! Just understanding, understanding that there is NOTHING better, that Christ's Love for us!
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten
Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have
everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but that the world through him may be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the
world, and men have loved darkness rather than light, because
their deeds were evil.
3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither
cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
3:21 But he that doeth truth, cometh to the light, that his
deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
Good day!
And don't EVER let any CLUELESS any one try and CON you any different!!
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> Can I explain this oath? Of course I can. Can't you? Allow me.... Are you indeed a Christian, if you are, you took an oath to follow and keep the ten commandments, to turn the other cheek, yada, yada, yada. You keep reminding all of us that your relationship is personal between you and God, I'm not sure You even know what that relationship is or should be. You can't pick which portion of the bible you choose to follow and which part not to follow, it don't work that way. In my opinion you have (what I call selective christianity) when it's convienant for you, you are a christian, any other time, not so much! I respect everyone's opinion on this thread, even your opinion. But please don't pretend to be the better person just because you are claiming a faith based religion!
Who do you think YOU are-attempting to "TELL" ANYONE else, what they can believe or not believe in??????????
Get a clue: Not no-but HELL no--REALITY doesn't work like that!!!!

People CAN and DO--CHOOSE of the FREE WILL that they are born unto -to Pick and choose ANYthing they should so desire to believe or not to believe in--to see GOOD where they can-as well as recognize EVIL when it rears it's UGLY, crooked, hooked Witch like nose face as well.

And if YOU don't like THAT-it's just TOO DAMN bad...that's YOUR problem.

Just who do you think you are, trying to dictate or JUDGE ANYONE else's God given BIRTH rights?

It's people like YOU, consumed of your OWN ignorance and intolerance comprised of nothing but self servedness, with out regard or respect of and for OTHERS-that are sickening!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
What part of SALES on purchases tax did you skip over reading?
And it would all go right back into supporting that what you write of.
Not that complicated!
Where did you get this plan from? Seriously, I would really like to know who created this proposal.
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Stupid, but not horrible. It's fairly harmless at that age. Kinda like Santa, but you must be proactive and tell them the truth when they can understand it.
What's horrible is when you tell them impossible fairy tales that they believe and continue to do so into adulthood, never allowing them to question its validity and threatening them with eternal torture if they try to. Then the poor child wanders through life believing in things they have absolutely no reason to, instead of reality, and wastes a significant amount of their finite existence doing the things that they think their fairy tale requires and brainwashing the next generation into doing the same.
So, yeah, I think that people shouldn't believe in Zeus (or any other Greek God), and they certainly shouldn't tell their children to. Very horrible.
But do feel free to continue on with your stupid remarks-- in the faces of the "stupid" as you call/perceive such.
Those who, according to your self esteemed all knowing perception- couldn't POSSIBLY have minds, thoughts, beliefs and opinions of THEIR OWN, with no need of self appointed or exaulted dictatorships, to "tell them" what they ALREADY WELL KNOW.

I'd love to see them have a good laugh-only this time around- it will be at YOUR expense.

Because you couldn't be more WRONG about people- and the rights of ALL people-sometimes.

http://teachers.yale.edu/default.php

That's right...and it's REAL, for SOME of us who have never had ANY need to "pretend about ANYTHING" anyway.
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did you get this plan from? Seriously, I would really like to know who created this proposal.
Just an independent, individual thought.

Wanna run it by some heavy duty types? Please include religious orgs in it as well. Just on everyday purchases mind you now.

lol.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
But do feel free to continue on with your stupid remarks-- in the faces of the "stupid" as you call/perceive such.
Those who, according to your self esteemed all knowing perception- couldn't POSSIBLY have minds, thoughts, beliefs and opinions of THEIR OWN, with no need of self appointed or exaulted dictatorships, to "tell them" what they ALREADY WELL KNOW.
I'd love to see them have a good laugh-only this time around- it will be at YOUR expense.
Because you couldn't be more WRONG about people- and the rights of ALL people-sometimes.
http://teachers.yale.edu/default.php
That's right...and it's REAL, for SOME of us who have never had ANY need to "pretend about ANYTHING" anyway.
So in opposition to...something, you are defending the central practices of religion, which make no bones or excuses about trying to conform parishioners' minds, thoughts, beliefs and opinions into their particular cookie-cutter shape.
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
and just a brief momentary one at that-mostly because I don't get paid to THINK...I just DO- what needs doing...and that has historically usually taken up quitttttte a bit of time (enough).

Would you like a glass of natural morning, freshly squeezed, Vinegar juice?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Just an independent, individual thought.
Wanna run it by some heavy duty types? Please include religious orgs in it as well. Just on everyday purchases mind you now.
lol.
I don't need to run it past "heavy duty types."

It does nothing but impact the available funds and usage of the "feet on the ground." Pay an additional 6 or 7 percent for all goods, from copier paper in schools to asphalt for road maintenance to F-15s for the military - just to have that 6 or 7 percent eventually channel back into general funds? All that would do is facilitate shortfalls in the current fiscal budgets and lock up those monies until redistribution the following year, which would then have to be increased accordingly to offset sales tax expenditures. Depending on what and how much is produced or sold in an area, the impact of "redistributing the wealth" of government would have ramifications you don't begin to comprehend.
I have no interest in churches paying taxes. They already lay FAR more claim to their say in government than they are due.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
and just a brief momentary one at that-mostly because I don't get paid to THINK...I just DO- what needs doing...and that has historically usually taken up quitttttte a bit of time (enough).
Would you like a glass of natural morning, freshly squeezed, Vinegar juice?
Just straight coffee, thanks. No teaspoon of sugar or milk from a sacred cow.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me... Again!
<editted for spam>
Good day!
So you have no response to:
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text> The bible says snakes and donkeys can talk.
It says that bats are birds, whales are fish and rabbits chew cud.
It says that if you show a stripped stick to a pregnant cow it will give birth to a stripped calf.
And you have the nerve to say the bible is inerrant..and you think everyone should live by its rules?
When you get gas for your car on Sunday on the way to church or go in the mart to get a snack, do you chide the employee for working?
Better yet, do you stone him/her?
The bible tells you to. Is it lying there?
How about your wife for cooking dinner on Sunday? That's another big no-no.
If you are trimming your beard, you are going against "god's word."
Wearing clothes made of mixed fabrics?
You are a cafeteria Christian. "I like that (and can do it easily and I agree with it) so I'll do THAT... hmmm, but not THAT other one (since it is inconvenient). I'll hate gays but still have me some shrimp at the buffet." You are such a hypocrite.
Only to say you don't "hate" gays.
So if the buybull says homosexuality is an "abomination," are you just supposed to understand them, love them, and MAKE THEM STOP HAVING SEX?
How very kind of you.

You ignore the rest of what I say because you can't defend your ridiculous fantasy.
You just WANT to believe ONLY THE THINGS YOU WANT TO BELIEVE.
Shove the rest under the rug.
Christianity is a mental illness.
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So in opposition to...something, you are defending the central practices of religion, which make no bones or excuses about trying to conform parishioners' minds, thoughts, beliefs and opinions into their particular cookie-cutter shape.
I look at some of that kind of stuff with a little more open mindness, and far more realistically I think.

If people decide "something" like that--whatever-- is a GOOD thing for them-and it works okay for them, and IS good for them- and it is NOT harming anyone elseOR themselves--why would anyone even want to condemn it?
Just because it doesn't "conform" to their OWN ignorant "cookie cutter shape" of LIMITED, narrow mindeded judgeMentalness?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh-NOPE. NO thanks.

And don't EVEN try and tell me "how" to vote either.

(Are ya scared one of them might drop some sanctified holy liquid on ya or something?? Ya weeanie).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

75 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Step Chid after divorce 8 min Ex Wife 1
Stivers Center fixes 11 min smokejumper 37
teresa johnson where did the thread go ? (Dec '12) 39 min Just me 4
Ky Biscuit Company 41 min GetALife 24
Any couples into SCAT??? 43 min whats up 10
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 58 min scirocco 146,213
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 2 hr Jennifer Renee 3,788
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE