Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,115

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106915 Jun 14, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say military. I said feet on the ground - as in the people who are REALLY doing the work. The linemen, equipment operators, truck drivers, firemen, police, etc.- not the administrators, officials, lawyers and the PR shills they hide behind.
Ohhhhhh.

Work is work-anything else is not.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#106916 Jun 14, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Translated as in
Colossians 1:13, or
Hebrews 11:5???
What scripture is it that Christ told us to "Learn more"?
You do know that Christ taught out of the OT, as the NT
wasn't written yet, nor was the BOM!
So... All fallowers of Christ didn't know jack until
the BOM came along?
Yes, my communion with Christ has taught me a lot, and NO...
He did NOT tell me to read the BOM,!
You do know why Christ told stories to the lay people...
don't you?
Like Hebrews. If accepting Jesus Christ as your savior is all that is necessary wouldn't we be taken up?

Christ tells us that it was given to the apostles to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven but not the others. So all deep doctrine was not written. He said that as we learn more and understand it, more is given. And we were told that if we lack wisdom to ask of God. This means strive to learn more, not just rest on what we have learned.

So with that said, if the Book of Mormon may be the word of God, but you aren't sure, shouldn't you find out for yourself? The best test is to read it and ask God if it is true.

Location hidden

#106917 Jun 14, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>If the crops are not healthy then why do we live so much longer than before we started modifying crops.... If we were to stop the cross breeding and other scientific control of crops mass starvation would kill off large portions of the US and world populations... If we grew crops as we did in 1900 our farmland in the US could not support even half of our population... But today we not only feed our people but have enough surplus to feed much of the world.....
Are we healthy as a nation though? Are all of these altered and processed foods good for us?

Location hidden

#106918 Jun 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Conspiracy nuttery, and nothing more. The genetic modification of the foods has made them safer. Wheat comes from an almost inedible grass, the earliest versions of wheat cause constipation in even optimal digestive tracts. If not for modern wheat, you'd never be able to eat bread made from it, and considering how much wheat products the average US citizen consumes, you'd be dead by now. Yeah, thanks science for giving us something we can actually eat.

But why stop there? The "natural" pesticides, and all crops need pesticides of some sort, are indiscriminate, do you know what that means? It means it's poisonous to everything that's not a plant, even to you. But the refined chemical pesticides that science gave us, and the idiots like you are so against, only hurt specific bug species, the part about them that's dangerous to humans are the preservatives which wash away very easily.

You are the one lacking in research from credible sources.
Right. And I'm sure that's not at all why we have become one of the most unhealthy nations on the planet.
And we couldn't use wheat for bread if we didn't alter it? So all those thousands of years in history when wars were fought over wheat was to use it for what exactly?

Location hidden

#106919 Jun 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>"I'm not saying atheists don't or can't help. I'm talking about the organized efforts that make the impact at the disaster sites."

Who knows what your point is, because we certainly cannot go by what you write.
You apparently missed what started this conversation. Umm said that religious have done nothing for humanity. Understand now why I was pointing out just the relief effort that Christians have provided?

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#106920 Jun 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently missed what started this conversation. Umm said that religious have done nothing for humanity. Understand now why I was pointing out just the relief effort that Christians have provided?
Read what I said. You don't get it. PEOPLE do these things. Religion does nothing but grab money before it can get to people who need it. The people try to do the good. With or without the religion, the people will do it. Your church doesn't have some magical ability to coordinate things that people would not have if religion did not exist. And almost ANYONE can do better with 7 billion dollars as is. The primary reason that so many religions push charity is to spread religion, NOT help people. Non-religious charities have no such ulterior motives.

One simply cannot justify religion by claiming credit for good things that good people do. As a mormon, you have even less justification for doing so, because your church may be the least helpful Christian religion of all (per dollar taken in). Compare to the Methodists for a real laugh. And besides:
http://www.adamsmith.org/sites/default/files/...
Can you say "inversely proportional"? Tell me that's not indicative of a negative influence.

Religion is a leech. Temples and books don't feed people. Mosquito nets and repellents are more important than dogma. Your church essentially kills people and you want credit because they spend .7% of their tax-free income feeding people who need it. I find it abhorrent.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#106921 Jun 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we healthy as a nation though? Are all of these altered and processed foods good for us?
Better for us than starvation..... I think If I had to make a choice between a unhealthy big mac, fries and a coke or a spoon full of health rice my choice becomes simple....
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#106922 Jun 14, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Since hermaphrodites have been around for as long as human history sorta pokes a hole in that concept....
Rare, and I
d still say it's physiological, just as other quirks of nature!
Mutated genes can cause all sorts of anomalies!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#106923 Jun 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Then call on god next disaster, not FEMA.
I see you skipped my point. God is only what you think it is, and that is based upon the writings. You put one hundred percent trust in the writings that man made. That is just to much trust in man.
On that note...
I know you've never WORKED in the sciences, and ONLY know what you've read, written by MAN!
I know God is real... and you hate that!
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#106924 Jun 14, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Who?
(quit being lazy YaA..and poke poke lol)
William Tyndale translated the Bible so that every man could read it...
They killed him for it, as they lost control of the populace!

Poke, poke, poke!
LOL

#106925 Jun 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. And I'm sure that's not at all why we have become one of the most unhealthy nations on the planet.
And we couldn't use wheat for bread if we didn't alter it? So all those thousands of years in history when wars were fought over wheat was to use it for what exactly?
Yes we could use un altered wheat for bread... And we would starve... As our field would produce 1/10th the amount they produce now... For 1000's of years we had small population of people that lived to be 40 then died... Now if what you are suggesting is go back to all natural food stocks great, just fill a few mass graves with about a hundred million people here in the US and we can do it.... But you have to also let a Billion or so die around the world also....

What you wish might have worked a 1825 when the world population was about 1 Billion people.... Today it's almost 7 Billion with 300 Million in the US... Natural Food Stocks would kill a Billion people...At the very least....
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#106926 Jun 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Like Hebrews. If accepting Jesus Christ as your savior is all that is necessary wouldn't we be taken up?
Christ tells us that it was given to the apostles to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of Heaven but not the others. So all deep doctrine was not written. He said that as we learn more and understand it, more is given. And we were told that if we lack wisdom to ask of God. This means strive to learn more, not just rest on what we have learned.
So with that said, if the Book of Mormon may be the word of God, but you aren't sure, shouldn't you find out for yourself? The best test is to read it and ask God if it is true.
http://www.letusreason.org/Tes tim5.htm
read this, or are you afraid to learn more?
BTW I've asked, and received wisdom from the Lord, I still ask on occasion... NEVER did He say I should read the BOM!
Praying for wisdom for you, as you said... never give up on the ones you love!:-)

#106927 Jun 14, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Rare, and I
d still say it's physiological, just as other quirks of nature!
Mutated genes can cause all sorts of anomalies!
Not all that rare ... at 0.033% to 0.05% of the US Population and far greater in some countries... And those numbers seem to be about constant throughout history ... With some local populations going much higher.... Such as Brazil and some villages in Turkey... Where rates range from .1 to .7%....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#106928 Jun 14, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Not "tax the givverment" ...just make it pay what everyone else has to.
IE: NO in particular, for example--sales-- tax exclusions.
It is fiscal nonsense to use budgets that came from taxes to pay sales taxes. It's "robbing from Peter to pay Paul." There is no gain in it.

Location hidden

#106929 Jun 14, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
Read what I said. You don't get it. PEOPLE do these things. Religion does nothing but grab money before it can get to people who need it. The people try to do the good. With or without the religion, the people will do it. Your church doesn't have some magical ability to coordinate things that people would not have if religion did not exist. And almost ANYONE can do better with 7 billion dollars as is. The primary reason that so many religions push charity is to spread religion, NOT help people. Non-religious charities have no such ulterior motives.

One simply cannot justify religion by claiming credit for good things that good people do. As a mormon, you have even less justification for doing so, because your church may be the least helpful Christian religion of all (per dollar taken in). Compare to the Methodists for a real laugh. And besides:
http://www.adamsmith.org/sites/default/files/...
Can you say "inversely proportional"? Tell me that's not indicative of a negative influence.

Religion is a leech. Temples and books don't feed people. Mosquito nets and repellents are more important than dogma. Your church essentially kills people and you want credit because they spend .7% of their tax-free income feeding people who need it. I find it abhorrent.
Your statements are ridiculous. Kills people? Really?

Location hidden

#106930 Jun 14, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Yes we could use un altered wheat for bread... And we would starve... As our field would produce 1/10th the amount they produce now... For 1000's of years we had small population of people that lived to be 40 then died... Now if what you are suggesting is go back to all natural food stocks great, just fill a few mass graves with about a hundred million people here in the US and we can do it.... But you have to also let a Billion or so die around the world also....

What you wish might have worked a 1825 when the world population was about 1 Billion people.... Today it's almost 7 Billion with 300 Million in the US... Natural Food Stocks would kill a Billion people...At the very least....
We don't have to go all natural but we should regulate the things that we know are killing people.
I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get more out of crops by altering them, so long as it is regulated better to not put things in that knowingly harm people, or things that we aren't sure harms people or not. We are their lab rats in that case.

Location hidden

#106931 Jun 14, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.letusreason.org/Testim5.htm
read this, or are you afraid to learn more?
BTW I've asked, and received wisdom from the Lord, I still ask on occasion... NEVER did He say I should read the BOM!
Praying for wisdom for you, as you said... never give up on the ones you love!:-)
In some cases you have to do your part first. Which would be to read it, then ask if it is true.
Would you expect an atheist to accept the Bible as truth before they read it?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#106932 Jun 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Sometimes we do break laws, and yes, it might be due to some urges of our instincts. Instinctive behavior is not always good behavior in our human society. We must use our brains for the understanding of why doing bad ultimately is not conducive to our happiness in the long run. Our short term pleasure seeking often makes us forget the long term happiness requirements.
One must use the brain we evolved in full. Do not just do what your emotions feel at any given moment. We must always think of the consequences of our actions.
One consequence is just feeling guilty. I think this is an instinct we evolved to help us remember to be good. Again, not a magic bullet.
Seems that we have 2 powers working in our human nature.
We are able to discern right from wrong.There is something within us that would have us do that which is right,but,there is also a need to fulfill the selfish, illegal and immoral thoughts and desires that control our human nature and we do that which we know we shouldn't and don't want to do

In the process we device treacherous schemes in order to fulfill those needs,that we know,will hurt others,including those we claim to love .
We do not commit those acts out of ignorance,they are intentionally committed in order to satisfy that which we want.
We do this in secret,hoping we will not be found out.
When we achieve our objective,we have a feeling of accomplishment,not remorse.If confronted with our immoral or illegal act,we deny,we do not own up to them.
Those are facts,not figments of my imagination.
Watch the news,read the paper and look around you.
We judge others by their outward appearance,only to find out we have been deceived.
But also,we deceive others,by pretending to be,that which we are not...
You say that"We must use our brains for the understanding of why doing bad ultimately is not conducive to our happiness in the long run. Our short term pleasure seeking often makes us forget the long term happiness requirements."
That is precisely what we are unable to do and our actions confirm that.
Whether rich or poor,highly or of low intelligence,private or public sector or individuals in general,we are all afflicted by the same condition.
Those who absurdly claim they have never done anything to be ashamed of,are arrogant fools who are attempting to hide the many imperfections in their personalities which they are unable to face.
The only one in our history who has provided us with a solution to correct our defective human nature is Jesus Christ.
Those who have earnestly put his teachings into practice have found HIM to be true.
So,this idea that if one seeks forgiveness from whom he has offended will keep the offender from committing that act again,is not validated by the way we act.
In the first place,it's contrary to human nature,people do not like to admit they are wrong...
More importantly,some of the illegal and immoral acts we commit,we would not admit to having committed them,let alone seek forgiveness from those we offended.
Need I cite any examples of such?
Can a leopard change his spots?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#106933 Jun 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Fail. We are living longer than at any other time in all of history, even in the US. All other nations use the same food sources we do in the US. The funny thing is how much you are picking and choosing bits of research that only support your paranoia, nothing from the facts. All we have is some supposed "obesity epidemic," and is based on an unscientifically devised system, using nothing more than correlation being causation, from 50 years ago.

We bred wheat a very long time ago, using primitive genetic modification, I already stated that, are you slow?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#106934 Jun 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems that we have 2 powers working in our human nature.
We are able to discern right from wrong.There is something within us that would have us do that which is right,but,there is also a need to fulfill the selfish, illegal and immoral thoughts and desires that control our human nature and we do that which we know we shouldn't and don't want to do
In the process we device treacherous schemes in order to fulfill those needs,that we know,will hurt others,including those we claim to love .
We do not commit those acts out of ignorance,they are intentionally committed in order to satisfy that which we want.
What "powers?" Ethics has always been subjective, every culture has had different ideas of right and wrong, every culture. We refine our ethics and thus improve the laws, that's how a society advances. The theory of evolution gives mechanisms for how this advance benefits a species, and all emotions are pretty well understood in neurology and psychology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stealing from child's grave 42 min Coke And A Smile 23
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 1 hr ole Joe 7,392
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr John316 155,559
ItsBarbourville on ustream 1 hr neo cons cant 2
Girls at Flatlick Dolar General? 2 hr friend 19
McDonald's 2 hr j j j 8
Mindless Democrats 2 hr neo cons cant 3
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance