Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 130,986

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#106893 Jun 14, 2013
Mdw1206 wrote:
I grew up in Kansas. I was raised in a Christian family and had the best religious education money could buy. WOW, I thought Kansas was backwoods but some of you fundamentalist Christians in Kentucky take the cake on that number. I moved to NYC years ago. Thank goodness I did. While you do called fundamentalists have a good time arguing over this issue, those of us that are educated in blue, liberal states, will continue to support this idiotic dialogue. I'll agree, you have the right to say it, no matter how stupid it is. In the meantime, those of us on the coasts will paying for your right to do so. And, yes, us blue states do pay way more in federal taxes then we get back. Backwoods states like Kentucky take more in than they give. Yet states like yours still debate worthless topics
Ike this.
You do realize that While we have our share of religious folks, You have Far More and a more Idiotic crowd can't be found than one that chooses to be arrogant A'Holes that would die slow deaths if without the support Backwoods folks that grow the food and supply the energy to to folks that Choose to live in little boxes stacked high.... So please, Stay in New York and like in the 30's when your bubbles burst please stay away from our backwoods...
Mdw1206

Baltimore, MD

#106894 Jun 14, 2013
How good we're those farming methods in the 30's hillbilly boy? My family likely owns far more of a spread in Kansas than you hicks in Kentucky could fathom. Regardless, talk about a bubble bursting , crap agriculture burst the bubble for farms in the 30's, as I vividly remember my grandmother explaining the dust bowl. Regardless, us people in our boxes stacked high still carry the rest of you. Even this yokel that grew up in Kansas can tell you that. Simple well documented numbers.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#106895 Jun 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and you should educate yourself on what this has done to the food you eat. Once healthy crops are no longer healthy for us anymore. Research wheat for example. Thanks science
Conspiracy nuttery, and nothing more. The genetic modification of the foods has made them safer. Wheat comes from an almost inedible grass, the earliest versions of wheat cause constipation in even optimal digestive tracts. If not for modern wheat, you'd never be able to eat bread made from it, and considering how much wheat products the average US citizen consumes, you'd be dead by now. Yeah, thanks science for giving us something we can actually eat.

But why stop there? The "natural" pesticides, and all crops need pesticides of some sort, are indiscriminate, do you know what that means? It means it's poisonous to everything that's not a plant, even to you. But the refined chemical pesticides that science gave us, and the idiots like you are so against, only hurt specific bug species, the part about them that's dangerous to humans are the preservatives which wash away very easily.

You are the one lacking in research from credible sources.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#106896 Jun 14, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Then...
Eating the genetically altered fish causes hermaphrodites, and man will call it natural evolution!
Go figure!
Well, Quantum stated the obvious, here's the less obvious, the food you eat has no effect on your genes. Yep, no effect. Well, unless you eat your own species or one that is close enough to carry a virus and you get infected with the virus, and that is assuming the virus is one capable of attaching to your genes, but even then, we have been eating pigs for a very long time.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#106897 Jun 14, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>relying on something that's been around from the creation... God!
Then call on god next disaster, not FEMA.
I see you skipped my point. God is only what you think it is, and that is based upon the writings. You put one hundred percent trust in the writings that man made. That is just to much trust in man.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#106898 Jun 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
That wasn't my point at all
"I'm not saying atheists don't or can't help. I'm talking about the organized efforts that make the impact at the disaster sites."

Who knows what your point is, because we certainly cannot go by what you write.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#106899 Jun 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on my understanding of human nature,we are basically selfish.
When we commit either an illegal or immoral act,we know that what we are doing is wrong,but,we go ahead and do it anyway.
This is done in order to fulfill those inner illegal and immoral desires inhabiting our imperfect human nature.
When we commit these acts,we want to do it in secret,not wanting others to know , for fear of the consecuences.
After committing these acts,we feel a sense of fulfillment,not remorse.
If our illegal or immoral behaviour is discovered,our reaction is to deny,not feel guilty.
As I understand what you have posted,after you commit an illegal or immoral act,you,voluntarily, will go to your victim and ask for forgiveness.
Your sense of guilt,will from then on,detain you from committing those same illegal or immoral acts.
You need to bring that simplistic solution to Barrack Obama's attention.
He wants to spend millions of dollars in research in order to cut down on the mass killings and other crimes that have taken place in our country.
I see where you wrote
"I can admit wrong doings without a God"
Very different from saying; I do admit wrong doings without a God.
Also,you wrote" Usually,I ask the person I transgressed for forgiveness"
I take that to mean,You usually do and or,You usually don't..
Depending on how grievous the transgression....
This formula that yuo provided ,where and how has it's effectiveness been established?
Or is that the unrealistic opinion of some guys living in a make believe world?
Some of the instinct to ask for forgiveness is for selfish reasons. We want others to approve of us in order to get reciprocation.
We evolved in small groups, so it was needed to be in good standing with the group to survive. Ape groups will cast out unruly apes and they usually die as a result. Thus the instinct to do good and be forgiven is instinctive.
Observations of apes show they will groom each other in ways to get forgiveness from the transgressed.
I do not break laws with abandon as you claim humans do. I think most people do not break laws as you claimed.
I think most people go beyond this and try not to break common societal rules and mannerisms. Why? Because the punishment is being cast out of the group.
Of course some do break rules, and they have consequences. They might be cast into jail and out of society all together. Some humans do lack a conscience. They are called psychopathic. It is a brain disorder. The condition can be seen with an MRI.
Some people are just not raised to be good people.
It needs to be instilled in the individual of why we should do good.
Instincts are no magic bullet. My philosophy plays a large part in how I act. My understanding of consequences has a role. Consequences go beyond jail. Helping others makes our society prosper in general. This helps me in the end. So selfish or not, the philosophy works and it works with our nature, not against it.
Looking at the religions of the world, it is clearly man made philosophies. These philosophies all urge humans to do good. If doing good was not beneficial to all men, then I have no doubt this philosophy would not have found its way into all religions.
I personally think religion has twisted it a bit, and some of it in a bad way.
I think the person transgressed should be the attention of forgiveness, not god. I know most religions mention asking the person transgressed for forgiveness, but the focus is always put on god. Thus the person transgressed often gets left out of the process. This is a critical step in keeping good order in society.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#106900 Jun 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

After committing these acts,we feel a sense of fulfillment,not remorse.
Speak for yourself. I feel guilt when I hurt someone, physically or emotionally. Psychopaths do not feel guilt.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#106901 Jun 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
When we commit either an illegal or immoral act,we know that what we are doing is wrong,but,we go ahead and do it anyway.
This is done in order to fulfill those inner illegal and immoral desires inhabiting our imperfect human nature.
Sometimes we do break laws, and yes, it might be due to some urges of our instincts. Instinctive behavior is not always good behavior in our human society. We must use our brains for the understanding of why doing bad ultimately is not conducive to our happiness in the long run. Our short term pleasure seeking often makes us forget the long term happiness requirements.
One must use the brain we evolved in full. Do not just do what your emotions feel at any given moment. We must always think of the consequences of our actions.
One consequence is just feeling guilty. I think this is an instinct we evolved to help us remember to be good. Again, not a magic bullet.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106902 Jun 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>if you think the church volunteers will take care of your needs, you know nothing of history.
I was not comparing anyway, I was just noting who is actually helping.
I noted other secular volunteers that you could compare to the church volunteers.
My point was one cannot compare "volunteerism" to the paid givverment roles.

And some of us well realize, that in either realm, some just give wayyyyyy more than what they'll ever be monetarily compensated for....mostly because they're doing such for FAR nobler reasons, than just self serving greed.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106903 Jun 14, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
FEMA has given millions to West, Texas. Funny how Tea Party types want the feds to cut, then spend, then cut, then spend... and blame them for it either either way. Fema is not a bottomless well, we're barely into wildfire and hurricane season. What does the TP EXPECT? "The answers are blowin' in the wind..."Just to steer back on topic, five of the eleven biggest mega churches in the country are in Texas. Maybe you can Google how much $$$ they've tossed toward their lil' ol' neighbors - I sure haven't found anything.
I heard something about that too.

Not that the business(es) etc shouldn't be expected to rebuild themselves, maybe you could google how much the local insurers of such have contributed to the cause --if anything, yet????

Since we agree FEMA (or ANY agency, religious OR secular, or people or persons) are NOT bottomless pits, you think maybe the givverment should be EXcluded from it's little tax loopholes of exempted too???

Imagine that revenue that would be generated then!
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106904 Jun 14, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>What do you think the reformation was all about?
Do you think they executed William Tyndale for other crimes against the church?
Poke!
Who?

(quit being lazy YaA..and poke poke lol)
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106905 Jun 14, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
If the crops are not healthy then why do we live so much longer than before we started modifying crops.... If we were to stop the cross breeding and other scientific control of crops mass starvation would kill off large portions of the US and world populations... If we grew crops as we did in 1900 our farmland in the US could not support even half of our population... But today we not only feed our people but have enough surplus to feed much of the world.....
Ya-a lot in part because if people these days couldn't run to the store shelves or fast food suppliers and purchase instant edibles, they'd shrivel away into nothingness-- from actually having to do the WORK of growing them... maintaining them AND then having to manually prepare them to boot!
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106906 Jun 14, 2013
Mdw1206 wrote:
I grew up in Kansas. I was raised in a Christian family and had the best religious education money could buy. WOW, I thought Kansas was backwoods but some of you fundamentalist Christians in Kentucky take the cake on that number. I moved to NYC years ago. Thank goodness I did. While you do called fundamentalists have a good time arguing over this issue, those of us that are educated in blue, liberal states, will continue to support this idiotic dialogue. I'll agree, you have the right to say it, no matter how stupid it is. In the meantime, those of us on the coasts will paying for your right to do so. And, yes, us blue states do pay way more in federal taxes then we get back. Backwoods states like Kentucky take more in than they give. Yet states like yours still debate worthless topics
Ike this.
Damned ol' blue states-for hiding all that fwee riding pwogram info from their young over the years.
lol
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106907 Jun 14, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You do realize that While we have our share of religious folks, You have Far More and a more Idiotic crowd can't be found than one that chooses to be arrogant A'Holes that would die slow deaths if without the support Backwoods folks that grow the food and supply the energy to to folks that Choose to live in little boxes stacked high.... So please, Stay in New York and like in the 30's when your bubbles burst please stay away from our backwoods...
Listen Idiot beanbrain--there's plenty of farming and agriculture happening around up there.

NYC is just the one small armpit-- the historical doorknob on the once front doorway to America.
Not the constituants of fault, if elected duhmbos have yet to figure out, that doorway needs some shoring up, especially the swinging screen one that an o'kennedy left swinging wide open for any and everything to crawl through unaccounted for in the 60's.

Man, I could pelt you with seriously fine radishes grown of N.E. blue state learned agri'culture right now...except I wouldn't want to waste them lol.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106908 Jun 14, 2013
Mdw1206 wrote:
How good we're those farming methods in the 30's hillbilly boy? My family likely owns far more of a spread in Kansas than you hicks in Kentucky could fathom. Regardless, talk about a bubble bursting , crap agriculture burst the bubble for farms in the 30's, as I vividly remember my grandmother explaining the dust bowl. Regardless, us people in our boxes stacked high still carry the rest of you. Even this yokel that grew up in Kansas can tell you that. Simple well documented numbers.
Those ones that stayed, toughed it out and survived all that dust bowl stuff-TRUE pioneers!!!!

Hail kudos to yer ancestors!:-)

(just plz don't be peeing in the neighbors lakes when y'all flock out of the front door to the side yards of lol)
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106909 Jun 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Then call on god next disaster, not FEMA.
I see you skipped my point. God is only what you think it is, and that is based upon the writings. You put one hundred percent trust in the writings that man made. That is just to much trust in man.
Yea because man is only human (not some super hero with endless majikal powers) too!! Bless yer heart.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#106910 Jun 14, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm...now let's think about that one FIRST.
Over-bloated, often over-compensated (and often way abused) government paid "workers" at government "paid" jawbs.... versus "Volunteerism".
Okay Duquette, now that one really should Not take ANY depth or effort of thought- in considerations of comparisons.
So the feet on the ground are over-bloated and over-compensated?
You aren't about statistics, objectivity and reality much, are you?
I wonder what they put in that tea?
ProvenScience

London, KY

#106911 Jun 14, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So the feet on the ground are over-bloated and over-compensated?
You aren't about statistics, objectivity and reality much, are you?
I wonder what they put in that tea?
Oh no, I believe a country should have a decent military.

Only when researching.

Read the label of ingredients, it varies, according to specific flavor sometimes.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#106912 Jun 14, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard something about that too.
Not that the business(es) etc shouldn't be expected to rebuild themselves, maybe you could google how much the local insurers of such have contributed to the cause --if anything, yet????
Since we agree FEMA (or ANY agency, religious OR secular, or people or persons) are NOT bottomless pits, you think maybe the givverment should be EXcluded from it's little tax loopholes of exempted too???
Imagine that revenue that would be generated then!
I agree - the companies that create the disasters should own up to them and the insurers and re-insurers that have no qualms about taking and raising premiums should be held to their obligations.
Tax the government? So the government agencies should take a percentage of the earmarked and general funds that makes up their budgets and put it back into the earmarked and general funds that makes up their budgets when they purchase goods and services and start filing their own taxes. Uh, yeah.. that's beyond brilliant. That tidbit of tea party economics will surely save A LOT of money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 10 min Average Guy 4,331
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 14 min Jay 153,011
Looking for Billy Mills 21 min Old Friend 3
Who we voting for City Council? 25 min Mee too 6
Harriman Tnn. symboxone clinic 44 min Info 3
Republicans have tunnel vision!! 1 hr sayin 69
Henson Hollow 2 hr live in the holler 10
What happened at Stinking Creek? Sep 12 Brenda 87
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••