Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,110)

Showing posts 102,181 - 102,200 of122,873
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart is a for-profit organization. So basically they are giving money back to the poor people that it took the money from, while convincing them of the low prices they offer, and that's a good thing?
The LDS church has used about 52 million a year for the past 25 years to help those in need. And they are a church. Not a mega store.
OOOH, I see. The corporation is big and evil when it sells things and makes money and gives ONLY 2 billion to people who need food, but your church is doing God's work when it takes in 7 billion (yes, BILLION) of tax free charitable donations, which people intend to have do some good for humanity, and uses a whopping 52 million of it to help those in need. You aren't good at math or morality, are you?

Organized religion is a leech that thrives off of the good intentions of less intelligent people. If that 7 billion went, instead, to any given non-religious charity that passed only 50% of charitable donations to people in need, you'd have an increase in benefit of over 6700%. Your church essentially takes food from hungry mouths to build things that are nothing more than wasteful extravagance and print books that will do nothing to help humanity. Period. I really wish that this would be eye opening for you... but I have little hope for that at this point.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So scientists are farmers?
Yes sending money is great, but without organized efforts, how would money turn in to usefulness to people in disastrous situations?
No, scientists are scientists. And they have done more to improve the quality of life of human beings than ANY other profession.

And again with you BS about churches being the ONLY thing that could possibly organize anything. Churches are behind only utterly corrupt third world governments when it comes to most inefficient way to use money. Your argument is completely invalid.
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me, I would much rather have been understood by someone actually reading something outside of the Good Book(s) than being reproached with indignant gut reaction and having to expound and belabor my point.
Some interesting points of view in that essay.

Although I would raise an eyebrow on temperment, because I think we as individuals, can have some grips on handling our own, at least sometimes.

Not including applying such to dealing with those who think it's sane to stick their hand in a wasp nests to torment and not expect to get stung....because that kind of stuff is just plain old---- DUHHHHHHH..in a big way.
ProvenScience

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Please. If she was serious, you lost her at the first polysyllabic word, in which case I think she should be more concerned with third grade English than Humanities.
Just saying.

BIG diffference in category classifications!!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Evidently the holy ghost is sending mixed messages.
Point is, if their really was a holy ghost giving out any information, their would be no dispute among believers. Fact is, their are over 38,000 different Christian sects. This does not bode well with the idea of a holy ghost.

"Not the one that Satan helped change just enough to cause division and confusion."
So not you are claiming the devil altered the bible? If so, then anytime you cite the bible, you could be citing Satan. I will forever remind you of this.
So just how can you know the book of Mormon was not altered by Satan?
No, I don't believe the Bible is the word of Satan. I believe he played a part in the items that are missing. There are a bunch of entire books missing from the Bible that the Bible makes reference to. Nice try in twisting my words though.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why are their so many flavors of Christianity? Clearly not all Christians are getting the same testimony. Either the holy ghost is just your mind thinking, or it is sending mixed messages.

You give statements, not answers, to many questions.
My statements are answers. Would you prefer I answer in question format?

The Book of Revelations tells us that the Heavens will be rolled up like a scroll and God would not speak to man during a period of time. In other words there would be no prophet for a time that spoke with God and delivered His clear messages. Without the direct interaction with God, man began to try to interpret for himself parts of the Bible that they did not fully understand. Such as form of baptism, immersion or sprinkling. Or the nature of God.
This is how there are so many denominations.
God is a god of order. When you look at the instructions set for how the Tabernacle had to be constructed and managed, there were several chapters devoted to micro-managerial detail. I believe God would want His church run that way as well. This is one thing that attracted me to the LDS church. The exact same lesson is taught in each church building on Sunday. I can attend in New York, California, or Tonga and be taught the same lesson. This is order. You will probably call this well-orchestrated control. But we conform to what God wants us to do, and we do this because of our desire to be faithful and obedient to our God.
Almost all Christian churches do the best they can to follow God's commandments, but there must be some realization at some point for the believer that truly wants to follow God, that they must ask themselves if they are in the right congregation. Since the Holy Ghost is felt when there is truth taught, many become comfortable where they are. I wanted as much truth as I could find, so I sought out tons of congregations for the answers I required.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>First take note of how many atheists live in America then determine the percentages of help.

The point being, if no one was in a religion, their would be more organizations that were of secular charity.

And I think the Red Cross is probably the largest helpers in disasters besides the government and they are both secular.
Why must atheists wait until they have destroyed religion to band together and form their own relief groups?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>tanstaafl
English please

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't believe the Bible is the word of Satan. I believe he played a part in the items that are missing. There are a bunch of entire books missing from the Bible that the Bible makes reference to. Nice try in twisting my words though.
Clearly, the Bible and its missing parts are not the "word of Satan", any more than the remaining texts are the "word of God."
If you twist a rope in the right direction, eventually you'll unveil its basic fibers. The rope isn't expected to 'like' it. Que sera, sera - call it 'reducible complexity'.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
OOOH, I see. The corporation is big and evil when it sells things and makes money and gives ONLY 2 billion to people who need food, but your church is doing God's work when it takes in 7 billion (yes, BILLION) of tax free charitable donations, which people intend to have do some good for humanity, and uses a whopping 52 million of it to help those in need. You aren't good at math or morality, are you?

Organized religion is a leech that thrives off of the good intentions of less intelligent people. If that 7 billion went, instead, to any given non-religious charity that passed only 50% of charitable donations to people in need, you'd have an increase in benefit of over 6700%. Your church essentially takes food from hungry mouths to build things that are nothing more than wasteful extravagance and print books that will do nothing to help humanity. Period. I really wish that this would be eye opening for you... but I have little hope for that at this point.
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
So scientists are farmers?
Yes sending money is great, but without organized efforts, how would money turn in to usefulness to people in disastrous situations?"

No, scientists are scientists. And they have done more to improve the quality of life of human beings than ANY other profession.

And again with you BS about churches being the ONLY thing that could possibly organize anything. Churches are behind only utterly corrupt third world governments when it comes to most inefficient way to use money. Your argument is completely invalid.
I know where my contributions go. I'm fully aware that church buildings will be built with my money. That is furthering the Kingdom and gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm just fine with that. I want my church to grow and for them to have places to worship. Sorry if you don't understand that.
I'm also fine with them building storehouses for food for the poor, within and without our membership numbers. The church's welfare system has been deemed the best in the world, and it is entirely voluntary donations. Why you would demean this is beyond me. Someone with your self proclaimed intellect would make better use of their efforts trying to help establish this system in our government rather than trying to "win" arguments on topix.

I never said scientists didn't improve the quality of life. I am talking about disaster relief. Someone else said that scientists grow food to give to those in need, not me.

I didn't say churches were the only organizations that could organize relief efforts, but they do more than any other non-profit organization does.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.askwhy.co.uk/christianity/0000ndxd...
Notice
"The Roman Christians from the fourth century"
in the first line, and replace that term with "Catholic"!
The catholic Bibles was in Latin, and the truth was held from lay persons!
Yes... They did a lot of damage in the name of "Their" god...
Not mine!
So the Holy Ghost could not help out with these things?
You guys rely to much on what the ancients wrote.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
English please
It is English.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain 't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lun ch

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Would yew like a piece of penny jar candy?
Rootbeer, cherry, wintergreen, speariment, cinnamon, peppermint, grape, strawberry, lemon, lime, orange, mango, coconut,fig, chocolate, caramel, hazlenut, licorice (red, black, purple or other subflavors of)...
Your particular personal preference being?
Personal preference? So no Holy Ghost is involved? Thanks for making my point for me.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart is a for-profit organization. So basically they are giving money back to the poor people that it took the money from, while convincing them of the low prices they offer, and that's a good thing?
The LDS church has used about 52 million a year for the past 25 years to help those in need. And they are a church. Not a mega store.
So they should write off 52 million in taxes and then pony up like the other businesses.

The facts here show even a for profit business that is not solely focused on charity can still produce more for helping than your church.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So they should write off 52 million in taxes and then pony up like the other businesses.
The facts here show even a for profit business that is not solely focused on charity can still produce more for helping than your church.
Yep, Greed and Self Interest have saved more lives and fed more people than all Charities in history combined....

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Why must atheists wait until they have destroyed religion to band together and form their own relief groups?
I really do try not to be mean to you, but when you don an aura of superiority simply by 'virtue of belonging' to a denomination, it gets difficult.
Who told you that any religion has been 'destroyed' or that there are no non-religious charities? Do you insinuate that no atheist has ever worked a soup kitchen, dropped money into a Salvation Army kettle, swung a hammer with Habitat for Humanity or otherwise donated money, time, materials and effort to good causes?
harpocrates

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So the Holy Ghost could not help out with these things?
You guys rely to much on what the ancients wrote.
or maybe rely to much on language as an exact word having only one meaning.

in even more ancient times it was referred to as spirit, which implied that it was constantly in motion, as a force by some, energy seems to be the pop cultural word in the present.
harpocrates

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I really do try not to be mean to you, but when you don an aura of superiority simply by 'virtue of belonging' to a denomination, it gets difficult.
Who told you that any religion has been 'destroyed' or that there are no non-religious charities? Do you insinuate that no atheist has ever worked a soup kitchen, dropped money into a Salvation Army kettle, swung a hammer with Habitat for Humanity or otherwise donated money, time, materials and effort to good causes?
you don't see yourself as a denomination? or ascribe to some sort of philosophy.

so a non-religious charity would mean that it couldn't be corrupt?

or is it the simple fact that humans have the potential to be corrupt/decent

or is it just the simple premise that absolute power corrupts; whether it's theistic or atheistic absolutes?
harpocrates

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
so do you know how much money is spent globally per annum by institutions of higher learning; while billions live their lives in abject poverty.

kind of daunting isn't it? when you view the other side from the same light.

calling one's self by a different name doesn't necessarily differentiate one's actions from another's.

boils down to basic materialistic ventures

knowledge is power so they say

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Churches take money from the poorest people in their churches. They guilt them into giving and yet receive promises of stuff after death. What a racket. At least wall mart gives you crap that is needed in the home.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I really do try not to be mean to you, but when you don an aura of superiority simply by 'virtue of belonging' to a denomination, it gets difficult.
Not at all. I have been referring to the largest groups that have banded together to make huge impacts to aid humanity. This was in response to someone saying that nothing good has come out of religions to help humanity.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 102,181 - 102,200 of122,873
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

63 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min freelancehobo 138,759
New Family Court Judge NEEDED!!! 47 min no way 43
Thompson Park Boat Ramp 1 hr gator 5
Best elementary school 1 hr jennifer 17
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Ancient Wolf 81,213
Troy Marcey 3 hr Tracy 1
new restaurant in downtown shopping center 6 hr Curious Georgia 31
Corey vs. Collins 6 hr jim 58
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs