Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,050

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
ProvenScience

Manchester, KY

#106830 Jun 13, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.askwhy.co.uk/christianity/0000ndxd...
Notice
"The Roman Christians from the fourth century"
in the first line, and replace that term with "Catholic"!
The catholic Bibles was in Latin, and the truth was held from lay persons!
Yes... They did a lot of damage in the name of "Their" god...
Not mine!
ANY one who uses such in ANY way to disparage, steer wrongly and/or thump others, ESPECIALLY in ways that are obviously just self serving and self exaulting, is doing damage....by insulting the actual intelligence of people that KNOW better.

(Did it ever occur to you YaA-that maybe that was just the more common language used of the times, in some of the more read sectors? Kind of like being in Italy, and expecting all the road signs to be en Englais, because France was located nearby....)

PS: Poking YaA back in he own eye, for lashing assumedly by choice, while possibly not exactly thinking in more depth.
ProvenScience

Manchester, KY

#106831 Jun 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why are their so many flavors of Christianity? Clearly not all Christians are getting the same testimony. Either the holy ghost is just your mind thinking, or it is sending mixed messages.
You give statements, not answers, to many questions.
Would yew like a piece of penny jar candy?

Rootbeer, cherry, wintergreen, speariment, cinnamon, peppermint, grape, strawberry, lemon, lime, orange, mango, coconut,fig, chocolate, caramel, hazlenut, licorice (red, black, purple or other subflavors of)...

Your particular personal preference being?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#106832 Jun 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Pay attention to who makes the biggest impact at disaster relief efforts. Maybe there is a big atheist helping hands group I'm not aware of. Or some scientist colony that gathers truckloads of food for those affected.
First take note of how many atheists live in America then determine the percentages of help.

The point being, if no one was in a religion, their would be more organizations that were of secular charity.

And I think the Red Cross is probably the largest helpers in disasters besides the government and they are both secular.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#106833 Jun 13, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Rather brooding with that remark are ye Henry Adams? Or on a lighter Burgess note--just squeaky, your parts in need of some oil?
A.Brooding
or
B. squeaky parts.
Conscious CHOICE A or B...even though only one is actually LOGICAL-because mere machines are NOT capable of such...
and SHAME-SHAME on anyone that would even begin to assume and treat another as if it was!!!!!!!!!!
(that subsection should've been sub-titled "What is INhumanity".)
PS on the quick read-appreciating the intelligence of something worthy of some actual discussion, rather than imbicilic personal attack others any and everything--@ third grade Mental_ity levels.
Believe me, I would much rather have been understood by someone actually reading something outside of the Good Book(s) than being reproached with indignant gut reaction and having to expound and belabor my point.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#106834 Jun 13, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>Fallacious arguments do not prove points. They make you look stupid. Do you really not get my point?

Look at the total income of your own church. Look at the amount that actually goes to helping people. If that doesn't disgust you, punch yourself and look again. Repeat until appropriately disgusted. I mean, jeez... Wal-mart gives almost 2 billion a year in food charity. Is that a church? Compare that amount to your church.

Many of the people that donated that money expected it to do something that helps people. Almost all of it does no such thing. Religion is a leech. I don't care how well organized it is. If you used 1/2 of all church "income" to actually do good for people, then charitable spending would probably go up by an order of magnitude.
Walmart is a for-profit organization. So basically they are giving money back to the poor people that it took the money from, while convincing them of the low prices they offer, and that's a good thing?

The LDS church has used about 52 million a year for the past 25 years to help those in need. And they are a church. Not a mega store.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#106835 Jun 13, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text> http://www.askwhy.co.uk/christianity/0000ndxd...
Notice
"The Roman Christians from the fourth century"
in the first line, and replace that term with "Catholic"!
The catholic Bibles was in Latin, and the truth was held from lay persons!
Yes... They did a lot of damage in the name of "Their" god...
Not mine!
Omitting the fact that the average person couldn't read or write ANYTHING in the dark ages, and that YaA's english Bible is nearly identical to the old Catholic latin one? Obama hiding scientific facts behind Carney? LOL! That's evidence for an organized mind. o.0 How's 'bout that there Discovery Institute, YaA? Them's some straight-up folks, over there....

Location hidden

#106836 Jun 13, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Without the scientists, there would be no food to send and no way to get it there.

As for an agency that is not religious, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, they often donate millions to very worthy and beneficial causes. You have already been informed of this, why do you so easily forget? Bill and Melinda are atheists.
So scientists are farmers?

Yes sending money is great, but without organized efforts, how would money turn in to usefulness to people in disastrous situations?

I'm not saying atheists don't or can't help. I'm talking about the organized efforts that make the impact at the disaster sites. These are mostly church organized or governmental. The military also does a great job of this when they are called in to help.

Location hidden

#106837 Jun 13, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Be sure to let the National Guard know how lacking their efforts are next time there's a major disaster, won't you? I'm sure they would love to hear your critique. You might want to stop by the hospital and remind the triage staff that your church could be doing everything a lot better if they would just get out of the way.
The military is very efficient in their assistance as well. But they get paid for it. I'm speaking of volunteer effort.
Mom

United States

#106838 Jun 13, 2013
if they r going to teacher evolution they should teach the bible also! Jus sayin
ProvenScience

Manchester, KY

#106839 Jun 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it was, "Do you approve of contempt prior to investigation?"
You answered it.
No I didn't, or you'd've read something along the lines of "according to the situation and what mood (on occasion) I might happen to be in at the time."

“See how you are?”

Earth

#106840 Jun 13, 2013
Mom wrote:
if they r going to teacher evolution they should teach the bible also! Jus sayin
LOL! Point well made...
ProvenScience

Manchester, KY

#106841 Jun 13, 2013
Mom wrote:
Science is the wrong classification for it though-it belongs MUCH more in World Civ, Histories and cultures of.

That is why, it is actually NOT (not, not-as some of us have repeatedly tried to explain) classified in any sort of "scientific theories" category.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#106842 Jun 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The military is very efficient in their assistance as well. But they get paid for it. I'm speaking of volunteer effort.
tanstaafl
ProvenScience

Manchester, KY

#106843 Jun 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>First take note of how many atheists live in America then determine the percentages of help.
The point being, if no one was in a religion, their would be more organizations that were of secular charity.
And I think the Red Cross is probably the largest helpers in disasters besides the government and they are both secular.
Heh...almost as good as the Maccabee stuff lol.

The Order of St John traces its origins back 900 years to the Knights Hospitaller from whom St John today derives its inspiration and maxims Pro Fide Pro Utilitate Hominum,'For the Faith and in the Service of Humanity.'...

One of the most powerful political organizations in the late Middle Ages was the Order of St. John of Jerusalem, the Knights Hospitallers, whose ranks were filled by scions of the richest aristocratic families of Europe. Formed in Jerusalem in the 11th Century to provide hospital care and protection to Christian pilgrims visiting the Holy Land, the Knights soon became one of the foremost military powers in the region. Their base of operations was a chain of castles and ports. After Saladin, King of the Saracens, dislodged them from Jerusalem, the Knights relocated briefly to Cyprus, and then to the island of Rhodes in 1309.

Ottoman Emperor, Suleiman the Magnificant In 1522, the Ottoman Emperor, Suleiman the Magnificent, successfully laid siege against the Knights in their Aegean stronghold. Once more they were set adrift. After a two-year stay in Corinth, Greece, which the Knights again defended against Muslim attacks, the Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V, offered them the island of Malta in 1530 with favorable terms. In exchange for a perpetual lease, the Knights sent the emperor a falcon once a year as a token of their fealty. They remained on the islands, making Malta the most impregnable Christian fortress in the Mediterranean.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#106844 Jun 13, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is the wrong classification for it though-it belongs MUCH more in World Civ, Histories and cultures of.
That is why, it is actually NOT (not, not-as some of us have repeatedly tried to explain) classified in any sort of "scientific theories" category.
Please. If she was serious, you lost her at the first polysyllabic word, in which case I think she should be more concerned with third grade English than Humanities.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#106845 Jun 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart is a for-profit organization. So basically they are giving money back to the poor people that it took the money from, while convincing them of the low prices they offer, and that's a good thing?
The LDS church has used about 52 million a year for the past 25 years to help those in need. And they are a church. Not a mega store.
OOOH, I see. The corporation is big and evil when it sells things and makes money and gives ONLY 2 billion to people who need food, but your church is doing God's work when it takes in 7 billion (yes, BILLION) of tax free charitable donations, which people intend to have do some good for humanity, and uses a whopping 52 million of it to help those in need. You aren't good at math or morality, are you?

Organized religion is a leech that thrives off of the good intentions of less intelligent people. If that 7 billion went, instead, to any given non-religious charity that passed only 50% of charitable donations to people in need, you'd have an increase in benefit of over 6700%. Your church essentially takes food from hungry mouths to build things that are nothing more than wasteful extravagance and print books that will do nothing to help humanity. Period. I really wish that this would be eye opening for you... but I have little hope for that at this point.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So scientists are farmers?
Yes sending money is great, but without organized efforts, how would money turn in to usefulness to people in disastrous situations?
No, scientists are scientists. And they have done more to improve the quality of life of human beings than ANY other profession.

And again with you BS about churches being the ONLY thing that could possibly organize anything. Churches are behind only utterly corrupt third world governments when it comes to most inefficient way to use money. Your argument is completely invalid.
ProvenScience

Manchester, KY

#106846 Jun 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe me, I would much rather have been understood by someone actually reading something outside of the Good Book(s) than being reproached with indignant gut reaction and having to expound and belabor my point.
Some interesting points of view in that essay.

Although I would raise an eyebrow on temperment, because I think we as individuals, can have some grips on handling our own, at least sometimes.

Not including applying such to dealing with those who think it's sane to stick their hand in a wasp nests to torment and not expect to get stung....because that kind of stuff is just plain old---- DUHHHHHHH..in a big way.
ProvenScience

Manchester, KY

#106847 Jun 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Please. If she was serious, you lost her at the first polysyllabic word, in which case I think she should be more concerned with third grade English than Humanities.
Just saying.

BIG diffference in category classifications!!

Location hidden

#106848 Jun 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Evidently the holy ghost is sending mixed messages.
Point is, if their really was a holy ghost giving out any information, their would be no dispute among believers. Fact is, their are over 38,000 different Christian sects. This does not bode well with the idea of a holy ghost.

"Not the one that Satan helped change just enough to cause division and confusion."
So not you are claiming the devil altered the bible? If so, then anytime you cite the bible, you could be citing Satan. I will forever remind you of this.
So just how can you know the book of Mormon was not altered by Satan?
No, I don't believe the Bible is the word of Satan. I believe he played a part in the items that are missing. There are a bunch of entire books missing from the Bible that the Bible makes reference to. Nice try in twisting my words though.

Location hidden

#106849 Jun 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why are their so many flavors of Christianity? Clearly not all Christians are getting the same testimony. Either the holy ghost is just your mind thinking, or it is sending mixed messages.

You give statements, not answers, to many questions.
My statements are answers. Would you prefer I answer in question format?

The Book of Revelations tells us that the Heavens will be rolled up like a scroll and God would not speak to man during a period of time. In other words there would be no prophet for a time that spoke with God and delivered His clear messages. Without the direct interaction with God, man began to try to interpret for himself parts of the Bible that they did not fully understand. Such as form of baptism, immersion or sprinkling. Or the nature of God.
This is how there are so many denominations.
God is a god of order. When you look at the instructions set for how the Tabernacle had to be constructed and managed, there were several chapters devoted to micro-managerial detail. I believe God would want His church run that way as well. This is one thing that attracted me to the LDS church. The exact same lesson is taught in each church building on Sunday. I can attend in New York, California, or Tonga and be taught the same lesson. This is order. You will probably call this well-orchestrated control. But we conform to what God wants us to do, and we do this because of our desire to be faithful and obedient to our God.
Almost all Christian churches do the best they can to follow God's commandments, but there must be some realization at some point for the believer that truly wants to follow God, that they must ask themselves if they are in the right congregation. Since the Holy Ghost is felt when there is truth taught, many become comfortable where they are. I wanted as much truth as I could find, so I sought out tons of congregations for the answers I required.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 10 min hollerrat 5,221
Just hearing 49 min Tiffany 6
A Rat In Knox County 1 hr True Anon 12
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Demonicrats 153,775
Salon perfection 2 hr bobber 1
Rick Ayers 3 hr Lol 5
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 4 hr Bill 26,279
Barbourville high school salaries WOW Thu John boy 21
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search