Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,187

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#105169 May 29, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is just ONE theory. It actually is quite a different realm from that of OTHER theories, that often involve other aspects of the Sceinces, such as PHYSICS.
Why do YOU "deny and dislike " Science "? It is OFTEN, VERY applicable in the "world of musuems" as we know it...even if those applications do NOT constitute the use of the "evolutionary" theory.
For example-
Karen J. Gaskell, Aldo A. Ponce and Lynn Brostoff
University of Maryland
Library of Congress
Preservation Science
Preservation Science Symposia
New Research on Iron Gall Ink
Two generally accepted mechanisms
for the depolymerization of cellulose
1) Acid-catalyzed hydrolysis

Ink pH ~1.8-2.2
2) Iron(II)-catalyzed oxidation
Part 1
XPS study of an 18th century Italian document
Part 2
XPS clues regarding the chemistry of Iron Gall ink
----------
Why I find MANY areas of Science to quite interesting-not just one.
There are zero competing scientific theories that explain the diversification of life on earth. Evolution is a fact of nature, the Modern Synthesis of Evolution is the theory that explains evolution.

There are no other theories. There are ideas, such as Intelligent Design. But they are not theories and serious scientists do not find them to be worth the time of day.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#105170 May 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
There are zero competing scientific theories that explain the diversification of life on earth. Evolution is a fact of nature, the Modern Synthesis of Evolution is the theory that explains evolution.
There are no other theories. There are ideas, such as Intelligent Design. But they are not theories and serious scientists do not find them to be worth the time of day.
I think other wise, simply because it is ALL as of yet, still INcomplete, therefore, further research is deemed quite essential!
Onward SCIENCE!

1. The origin of mass

The Higgs boson has long been thought the key to resolving the mystery of the origin of mass. The Higgs boson is associated with a field, called the Higgs field, theorized to pervade the universe. As other particles travel though this field, they acquire mass much as swimmers moving through a pool get wet, the thinking goes.

"The Higgs mechanism is the thing that allows us to understand how the particles acquire mass," said Joao Guimaraes da Costa, a physicist at Harvard University who is the Standard Model Convener at the LHC's ATLAS experiment, last year when the discovery was announced. "If there was no such mechanism, then everything would be massless."

Gotta run, sane, ethical, rational people have a nice day-nutcase, self absorbed, ego twipper stalker type freaks, you know what you can do!

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#105171 May 29, 2013
mmmU wrote:
<quoted text>
You automatically win by calling him stupid. Congrats on your impressive debating skills.
No. I automatically win because he IS stupid, not because I made the observation. Man, you people just don't get it. The insults aren't part of any debate and do nothing to diminish the significant amount of ability I have to debate.
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
This one is already thread enough. Why waste time and space starting another?
However, I will help "change gears" and display a definition of the "rpm's" of part of broken repetitive 45 records, which really has nothing at all to do with TOE, but is also very helpful, for those living in the real world anyway.
Revolutions per minute (rpm) and angular velocity, two measures of how fast a point rotates about another point, are used to solve physics, mechanical engineering and computer programming problems. Often, rpm and angular velocity are used interchangeably, to simulate pulleys turning and wheels rolling in engineering simulators and video games.
You'll have to go check your OWN sums though ...my computers are not into the hypocricy or the hate baiter games of grade school level judgeMental-ist.
Try not to let the "daily spin" confuse you.
If you think that's science, I'm sorry. I don't see how RPM would be worthy of discussion past elementary school. There is no knowledge to be gained there.
Derwoodsgalleryof wrote:
<quoted text>
peanut brain cell.
"It hump day, bweak out duh everlutionary propogandna squawrk parrot and repeat(and repeat and repeat) scwipt, for the perpetually stuck in hor_monial land!!"
Are you really that ridiculously stupid, or are you just trolling?
The most amazing thing about fundamentalists is that they've tricked themselves into thinking that people who believe science are doing the same thing as they are when they believe religion. We are not. We don't regurgitate propaganda and quote scripture. We simply have evidence and a very good idea of what the evidence tells us. There is no faith involved. And our conclusion changes based on evidence. Your conclusion will never change because your brain doesn't work correctly and you've been programmed to believe only what is in that one book.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#105172 May 29, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
I think other wise, simply because it is ALL as of yet, still INcomplete, therefore, further research is deemed quite essential!
Onward SCIENCE!
1. The origin of mass
The Higgs boson has long been thought the key to resolving the mystery of the origin of mass. The Higgs boson is associated with a field, called the Higgs field, theorized to pervade the universe. As other particles travel though this field, they acquire mass much as swimmers moving through a pool get wet, the thinking goes.
"The Higgs mechanism is the thing that allows us to understand how the particles acquire mass," said Joao Guimaraes da Costa, a physicist at Harvard University who is the Standard Model Convener at the LHC's ATLAS experiment, last year when the discovery was announced. "If there was no such mechanism, then everything would be massless."
Gotta run, sane, ethical, rational people have a nice day-nutcase, self absorbed, ego twipper stalker type freaks, you know what you can do!
This report from the mouth of madness brought to you by Abilify.
Abilify, helping schizophrenics almost sound sane for over 10 years.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#105173 May 29, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Onward SCIENCE!
1. The origin of mass
No one said new theories cannot emerge. Your point is irrelevant to what I said.

There are no theories other than the Modern Synthesis at this time that explain evolution.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#105174 May 29, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah well how about going around a black hole? Got an data on that?... Can light not bend?
You've jumped on this side rail of physics to support your Creationism? A poster described the observable size of the universe in comparison with the size of this planet. Irrelevant quibbling is just one of your tactics of denial. A photon does not "bend." Its path might appear to.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#105175 May 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Forgive me if someone has already covered this, but I call BS on this line of reasoning.
You know what?

Bless your humble heart, ten fold.

Because reasoning and logic, are what found a cure for "polio", and because some days, we just never know what while leave us in awe.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#105176 May 29, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
This report from the mouth of madness brought to you by Abilify.
Abilify, helping schizophrenics almost sound sane for over 10 years.
You however- can just shudda you pie hole lol.
Sarisly

Morehead, KY

#105177 May 29, 2013
Saint Augustine (354-450 A.D.) contemplated about reconciling science and Christianity, along with many other philosophical topics. I highly suggest that fellow Christians read his works(if you aren't aware of who he is and how he relates to Christianity, look it up). The Literal Meaning of Genesis (De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim) offers the following.

Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he hold to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although 'they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion.'[1 Timothy 1.7] This translation is by J. H. Taylor in Ancient Christian Writers, Newman Press, 1982, volume 41.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#105178 May 29, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
My view it isn't... The speed of light is variable and it determined by the total separation distance of all matter with inertial mass in the universe, the denser the local mass the slower the value of c... The Theory of photon absorption and retransmission can be better defined with variance of the value of c within a medium and the only reason absorption and retransmission is used in calculation of em wave traversing a medium is due to the long held view that c is Constant... If c is constant then a definable reason increase in time that occurs when a em wave/photon/electron passes through a medium ...
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a582/Quan...
I stated "through a vacuum" not through mediums or absorption and re-emission and I specifically discounted expansion of space. Any etc. such as high gravity regions should have gone without saying. How do we interpret speed? Distance over time, and since we've found that space varies with mass and time itself is relative, do you not conclude that c is constant within itself and variable with localized conditions =To An Observer= simultaneously?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#105179 May 29, 2013
Sarisly wrote:
<quoted text> A little research about Galileo Galilei may enlighten you futher.
I see what you are referring to. The Catholic church has done some back peddling since he was burned alive by ones who claims the only true church of God. Many churches today claim that God will do the same to those that embrace science.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#105180 May 29, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"Ask him" Is a great answer!
You will not, because you really don't want the truth... do you?
No!
It would mean you were wrong about... everything!
What makes you think I didn't and that He Personally told me that the Bible was written by men and that religion is complete hogwash? I suggest you get your hearing checked.
Sarisly

Morehead, KY

#105181 May 29, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
I see what you are referring to. The Catholic church has done some back peddling since he was burned alive by ones who claims the only true church of God. Many churches today claim that God will do the same to those that embrace science.
2 points for good cognitive reasoning. Galileo was placed under house arrest in 1634 and died while still under it in 1642. He was not burned, however Giordano Bruno was executed for heresy in that manner in 1600. Bruno's cosmological theories went beyond the Copernican model(research it!). Among the areas of his research, was mathematics. I will leave the rest to be discovered, should inspiration drive you.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#105182 May 29, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
You should've told him any parent would be a little bit specktakul about leaving their son alone with one dem looking for duh fwee ride for lifers fleamales, telling him not to worry she gort all dar birf contwol stuff unner contwol!!
(BEWARE of ANYone like that kids!!! Learn to be SELF accountable AND actually responsible and Protect THY SELVES, from the parasites of the world!)
Despite the typical hostile sarcasm that puts your sanity in constant doubt, you made a good point.
Sarisly

Morehead, KY

#105183 May 29, 2013
For those that want a easier format to read the quote from Saint Augustine here is the source link.

http://www.pibburns.com/augustin.htm

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#105184 May 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>No doubt. There's a LOT of stuff the Mormons have said over the years that they no longer say.

Hell, they even change their most sacred holy book in order to mitigate the stupidity of their faith. "White" and delightsome becomes "Fair" and delightsome.

So much for spiritual authority. It's a pick-and-choose buffet of dumb that they constantly whittle down to the most generic, vanilla, Leave It To Beaver core.
Says an outsider

“See how you are?”

Earth

#105185 May 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Says an outsider
Careful, do whut... that begins to ring cultish.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#105186 May 29, 2013
Sarisly wrote:
For those that want a easier format to read the quote from Saint Augustine here is the source link.
http://www.pibburns.com/augustin.htm
So it boils down to, if Christians talk nonsense, it will cast doubt on the fantastical portions of dogma and doctrine.
Well, sure. Don't those go hand in hand?
defender

United States

#105187 May 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I tip my hat to you. Learned people who appreciate philosophy are few and far between. Yet philosophy sort of underpins everything we think and do in the world. Get a degree in philosophy and what are you qualified to do? Teach philosophy. Or write books.

Yet even the most knuckle dragging whackjob clutching rattlesnakes and praising Jesus is moved on some level by a deep seated notion that his five senses cannot tell him everything there is to know, therefore he needs something more.

I used to call myself an agnostic but eventually I just started embracing atheist as a label. I love the subtle differences between atheist-agnostic, agnostic-atheist, etc. But in the end I find that all of us pretty much seem to live as if no god exists anyway. So I just simplify the matter with "atheist".

Nobody can disprove the fuzzy, irrational version of a god that is just nature or just an idea. But we can destroy any concept of a specific god, such as Yahew or Jehovah or El or whoever. Once you start tacking specific qualities onto your god it is much easier to show how overwhelmingly improbable it is.

One thing I would also argue is that the typical concept of God is a logical impossibility unto itself. If god is all powerful and all knowing then it contains a logical contradiction. If you have all the power then you can act any way you wish. You can break from your predicted pattern. But if you are all knowing then you would already know that, thus nullifying the all powerful act of breaking the defined scheme.

Therefore an all powerful and all knowing god is logically impossible and does not exist.
Your wrong but well argued (for once) A great insight for the modern day Atheist...
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#105188 May 29, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
1. No. I automatically LOSE because I AM stupid, not because I made an observation,, that some one else probably made already. Man, you people just don't get it. The insults aren't part of any debate and do nothing to diminish the LACK of ability I have to debate.
<quoted text>
2.If you think that's science, I'm sorry. I don't see how RPM would be worthy of discussion past elementary school. There is no knowledge to be gained there.
1. You have THAT right anyway
Give us the cylinder cyclic equation for a hard drive spinning at 85 percent capacity then.
2. You should be sorry for hate baiting, and your stupidity shows EVEN more, as you continue to spew YOUR Ignorance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pullets and cocerels for sale, adult Buff Orpin... (Jun '13) 7 hr Deena 4
Pamela Hatfield, Michael Ramey, Brad Combs 7 hr Mother of the Year 1
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 9 hr Butter bean 23
Mike Smith For Sheriff (Feb '14) 11 hr crazy 227
teena Marie mills 11 hr infoman 9
Cody Carnes 12 hr Proof 7
Emily Collins 14 hr john 3
praying it's all a lie Thu Just the truth 5
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Wed dad 52
Barbourville Dating