Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148390 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#105212 May 29, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>Can you eleborate on those last 2 sentences. The haze of this weekend is fading and I'm playing catch up. If you have already, then ignore this, as I said, I'm catching up.
Mary Magdelene was an important disciple of Jesus Christ. She was with Him a lot. She was the one He spoke to first after His resurrection. I would not be surprised if she was His wife.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105213 May 29, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU type like you are a MORON that probably wears a HELMET when they step OUTSIDE. If you really THINK that you are being CLEVER by posting things LIKE this, you are even WORSE than I have estimated.
But really... a "Give us the cylinder cyclic equation for a hard drive spinning at 85 percent capacity"? What the hell planet do you live on?
<quoted text>
Irony level is over 9000.
If YOU can't do the equation, just ADMIT it.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105214 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a nice fantasy world you live in, but it's called the Goddamned Particle.
TRUTH in REALITY Clue number two-

That is WHY, it NOT referenced as the "Leon Lederman particle" to start with.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105215 May 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> You think that multiple gods would be enough to mess things up? I agree, but one god with both nice and nasty qualities, or an incompetent one, or one facing rules we call laws of nature, which it could not alter, would also be possible explanations. Randomness, chaos, might be other explanations. The socalled laws of nature themselves might contain the explanation for what is, and is as it is, but we don't know all the laws of nature, and maybe never can.
I am most comfortable as an agnostic atheist, and feel no need to know. I am more worried about about predictions for what will be the path of the local stormcloud bearing heavy rain, maybe hail, maybe strong lightning, and maybe a tornado. And much less worried, but still moreso than about the Big Bang, about the asteroids and other space objects that might be on a collision course with earth.
Can you imagine have no physics equations (such as we do now) to try and calculate something like a pending asteroid on the horizon?

What they must've thought sometimes.....

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#105216 May 29, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
WRONG AGAIN.
Why do you-and ones like you insist on lying, denying and distorting the TRUTH so much?
Is it actually that difficult for you to comprehend it?
It was actually initially referenced to as Higgs-Boson, in honor of it's first noteworthy mention made by-University of Edinburgh physicist Peter Higgs, as such scientific finding are often named according to.
"There’s one puzzle piece in particular that physicists hope to pick out of the debris from the LHC's high-energy collisions. Some call it the God particle.
The first thing you learn when you ask scientists about the God particle is that it’s bad form to call it that. The particle was named a few years back by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Leon Lederman, who has a knack for turning a phrase. Naturally the moniker took root among journalists, who know a good name for a particle when they hear one (it beats the heck out of the muon or the Z-boson).
The preferred name for the God particle among physicists is the Higgs boson, or the Higgs particle, or simply the Higgs, in honor of the University of Edinburgh physicist Peter Higgs, who proposed its existence more than 40 years ago.
Achenbach, J. "At the Heart of All Matter; the Hunt for the GOD Particle". NatGeo. Print 3/2008. Last accessed 5/29/2013
The original person to posit the particle called it the goddamned particle, the publishers changed it. The original writer said so, his word is above yours on this.
Peoplethattrulyc are

London, KY

#105217 May 29, 2013
Just about any licensed physician can prescribe extra strength ibuprofen that can work, if pain is the problem.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#105218 May 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary Magdelene was an important disciple of Jesus Christ. She was with Him a lot. She was the one He spoke to first after His resurrection. I would not be surprised if she was His wife.
disciple, wife, but definitely not apostle? I think the term you are looking for is chattel.
Peoplethattrulyc are

London, KY

#105219 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
The original person to posit the particle called it the goddamned particle, the publishers changed it. The original writer said so, his word is above yours on this.
You don't read OR comprehend well do you.

Simplified:

The preferred name for the God particle among physicists is the Higgs boson, or the Higgs particle, or simply the Higgs, in honor of the University of Edinburgh physicist Peter Higgs, who proposed its existence more than 40 years ago.

Comparable Hint THREE:

2005 April 12, 2005, marks the 50th anniversary of the Salk vaccine.(Polio) As in -
"Dr. Salk and his colleagues develop a potentially safe, injectable vaccine against polio. Nearly 15,000 Pittsburgh-area subjects, mostly children, receive the vaccine in pilot trials.

— Salk's former mentor, Dr. Thomas Francis, designs, directs and evaluates field trials of the polio vaccine. Unprecedented in their scope and size, the trials involve around 1.8 million children from the United States, Canada and Finland. They are among the first to use the double-blind process that has since become standard."

See how that works?
Sarisly

Olive Hill, KY

#105220 May 29, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a point to make with this? Are you a Christian? Do you believe in a God, demons, faith healing, trinity, eternal torture in hell-fire for all nonbelievers?
Do you claim to be a watchman of God's word and accept that the bible is 100% inspired by God and completely correct?
Demons? My laptop seems to be possessed by something that delights in chaos and discord currently. I had worked out a more detailed answer in topix's word program, and then it ceased to exist.(I almost could hear evil cackling from my comp)
My brief answers: Yes I am a Christian, but that's my personal beliefs. People have the freedom and right to choose their own. Faith healing? Bunk until empirical evidence shows otherwise.(Science has given the blind sight, and the legless the ability to walk again) I believe in God, a Creator that loves diversity(we are all genetically unique) and not so small to need everyone to worship to exist. God's Word needs no Watchman, God's Word is in all things in the heavens and Earth. There is no need for all to believe one Religion(I don't think God runs on some "soul-battery"). Our very nature is to have diverse beliefs. There is no one right religion/philosophy/ideology for every single person. Besides that fanaticism leads to the following questions. If Christianity(ask this of any theology) is the "one true religion", then why didn't Christ appear to all civilizations around the world? In fact, why isn't there a Gospel of Jesus? Could have clarified a great deal.
Through my research and experience with various religions/philosophies, I feel there is are universal messages in all of them. Strive for self-improvement through reason, experiences, and understanding. Work with others in a manner to better Society, and achieve great things together. In the journey we call Life, those are the things that truly matter.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#105221 May 29, 2013
Peoplethattrulycare wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't read OR comprehend well do you.
Simplified:
Comparable Hint THREE:
2005 April 12, 2005, marks the 50th anniversary of the Salk vaccine.(Polio) As in -
"Dr. Salk and his colleagues develop a potentially safe, injectable vaccine against polio. Nearly 15,000 Pittsburgh-area subjects, mostly children, receive the vaccine in pilot trials.
— Salk's former mentor, Dr. Thomas Francis, designs, directs and evaluates field trials of the polio vaccine. Unprecedented in their scope and size, the trials involve around 1.8 million children from the United States, Canada and Finland. They are among the first to use the double-blind process that has since become standard."
See how that works?
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105222 May 29, 2013
According to people who have investigated the subject, the term originated with a 1993 history of particle physics by U.S. Nobel prize winner Leon M Lederman.

The book was titled: "The God Particle: If the Universe is the Answer, What is the Question?"

Physicists say Lederman, who over the years has been the target of much opprobrium from his scientific colleagues, tells friends he wanted to call the book "The Goddamned Particle" to reflect frustration at the failure to find it.

But, according to that account, his publisher rejected the epithet - possibly because of its potential to upset a strongly religious U.S. public - and convinced Lederman to accept the alternative he proposed.

"Lederman has a lot to answer for," said Higgs himself, now 82, on a visit to Geneva some six years ago.

Rueters . What's the Higgs Boson and Why Do We Care?
12/13/2008.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105223 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
CERN experiments observe particle consistent with long-sought HIGGS boson

04 Jul 2012

Geneva, 4 July 2012. At a seminar held at CERN1 today as a curtain raiser to the year’s major particle physics conference, ICHEP2012 in Melbourne, the ATLAS and CMS experiments presented their latest preliminary results in the search for the long sought HIGGS particle.

CERN Press release 2012.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105224 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as I!!!!!!!!!! initially AND truthfully stated.

The more blasphemous "public journalisTic moniker"-in reference to the ELUSIVENESS of the HIGGS particle was REJECTED, and was referenced instead as the "God particle".
When NOT being actually referenced by it's more COMMON name of Higgs-boson anyway.

DO you just like denying actual TRUTH or something?
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105226 May 29, 2013
British physicist and his Belgian colleague who all but identified the mysterious "God particle" that holds the universe together won a prestigious Spanish science prize on Wednesday.

Peter Higgs, 84, who gave his name to the Higgs Boson, an elusive subatomic particle, and Francois Englert, 80, won the Prince of Asturias science prize, one of a series of top annual awards.

They won it jointly with the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN), which runs the huge underground particle-smashing chamber in Switzerland where experiments to track down the boson take place.

The two scientists separately developed theories of the particle's existence in the 1960s, in Englert's case with the help of another Belgian, Robert Brout, who died in 2011.

Higgs, a physics professor at Edinburgh University, theorised that the boson was what gave mass to matter as the Universe cooled after the Big Bang.

Nearly half a century later, in July 2012 CERN announced that they had found a particle likely to be the Higgs....

Homs, D. "Higgs Boson scientists win top Spanish prize"
PHYS.Org . Web. MAY 29, 2013. Last accessed 5/29/2013
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105227 May 29, 2013
PHYSICS

A Higgs must have spin-zero.

"All the analysis conducted so far strongly indicates spin-zero, but it is not yet able to rule out entirely the possibility that the particle has spin-two," said CERN.

"Until we can confidently tie down the particle's spin, the particle will remain Higgs-like. Only when we know that it has spin-zero will we be able to call it a Higgs."

British physicist Peter Higgs theorised in 1964 that the boson could be what gave mass to matter as the Universe cooled after the Big Bang.

Last July, scientists said they were 99.9 percent certain they had found the particle without which, theoretically, humans and all other joined-up atoms in the Universe would not exist.

Location hidden

#105228 May 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't we have a 96% match with dogs too?
Maybe, I'm not sure although I thought I read somewhere that our similarity with dogs was in the 80-85% range.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Those percentages mean a lot of difference even in the top 5%
The point I was trying to make in my response was that it's hard to make the argument that humans are vastly different from the rest of the animal kingdom when biologically speaking we're clearly not.

Location hidden

#105229 May 29, 2013
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> You think that multiple gods would be enough to mess things up? I agree, but one god with both nice and nasty qualities, or an incompetent one, or one facing rules we call laws of nature, which it could not alter, would also be possible explanations. Randomness, chaos, might be other explanations. The socalled laws of nature themselves might contain the explanation for what is, and is as it is, but we don't know all the laws of nature, and maybe never can.
I am most comfortable as an agnostic atheist, and feel no need to know. I am more worried about about predictions for what will be the path of the local stormcloud bearing heavy rain, maybe hail, maybe strong lightning, and maybe a tornado. And much less worried, but still moreso than about the Big Bang, about the asteroids and other space objects that might be on a collision course with earth.
I just found the idea competing gods particularly humorous since I've witnessed software development teams inadvertently do that very thing. In light of how inefficient and poorly "designed" our bodies seem to be, the idea of multiple gods stepping on each other's design made me chuckle.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#105230 May 29, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as I!!!!!!!!!! initially AND truthfully stated.
The more blasphemous "public journalisTic moniker"-in reference to the ELUSIVENESS of the HIGGS particle was REJECTED, and was referenced instead as the "God particle".
When NOT being actually referenced by it's more COMMON name of Higgs-boson anyway.
DO you just like denying actual TRUTH or something?
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105231 May 29, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe, I'm not sure although I thought I read somewhere that our similarity with dogs was in the 80-85% range.
<quoted text>
The point I was trying to make in my response was that it's hard to make the argument that humans are vastly different from the rest of the animal kingdom when biologically speaking we're clearly not.
Intellectually however, we have the optional logical choice to behave VERY differently, in varying circumstances, from that of just mere animals.

Thanks to some neutrinos, quarks, and other applicable quantumn type wave functions, and maybe even a Higgs, one of these days!
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105232 May 29, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounding like broken record because you cannot comrprehend truth in reality, or even come up with anything actually attributable to an orginal thought--is bad enough, but repeatedly sounding likea WRONG one, stuck in an ignorant groove, is even worse.

But hey-THAT, Is DEFINITELY "you"!!!!

(and the MORAL of the story IS- That's why CHEATS, Liars, manipulators and COnivers never REALLY win!)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bonita remove the TRUTH fast ! 1 min robz posts 3
Motorcycle Accident 8 min Worried 5
Cops at Messers 24 min Youngblood 1
Where's Wahoo? 30 min Goble 2
Jason Mcvey (Oct '13) 35 min MissPattycake 9
Tonya Roarks 1 hr The truth 1
missing person kenneth allen saunders (kenny) (Nov '15) 3 hr Wonder 29
Prayers Needed 10 hr pray 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance