Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 180102 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Sarisly

Owingsville, KY

#105181 May 29, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
I see what you are referring to. The Catholic church has done some back peddling since he was burned alive by ones who claims the only true church of God. Many churches today claim that God will do the same to those that embrace science.
2 points for good cognitive reasoning. Galileo was placed under house arrest in 1634 and died while still under it in 1642. He was not burned, however Giordano Bruno was executed for heresy in that manner in 1600. Bruno's cosmological theories went beyond the Copernican model(research it!). Among the areas of his research, was mathematics. I will leave the rest to be discovered, should inspiration drive you.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#105182 May 29, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
You should've told him any parent would be a little bit specktakul about leaving their son alone with one dem looking for duh fwee ride for lifers fleamales, telling him not to worry she gort all dar birf contwol stuff unner contwol!!
(BEWARE of ANYone like that kids!!! Learn to be SELF accountable AND actually responsible and Protect THY SELVES, from the parasites of the world!)
Despite the typical hostile sarcasm that puts your sanity in constant doubt, you made a good point.
Sarisly

Owingsville, KY

#105183 May 29, 2013
For those that want a easier format to read the quote from Saint Augustine here is the source link.

http://www.pibburns.com/augustin.htm

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#105184 May 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>No doubt. There's a LOT of stuff the Mormons have said over the years that they no longer say.

Hell, they even change their most sacred holy book in order to mitigate the stupidity of their faith. "White" and delightsome becomes "Fair" and delightsome.

So much for spiritual authority. It's a pick-and-choose buffet of dumb that they constantly whittle down to the most generic, vanilla, Leave It To Beaver core.
Says an outsider

“See how you are?”

Earth

#105185 May 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Says an outsider
Careful, do whut... that begins to ring cultish.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#105186 May 29, 2013
Sarisly wrote:
For those that want a easier format to read the quote from Saint Augustine here is the source link.
So it boils down to, if Christians talk nonsense, it will cast doubt on the fantastical portions of dogma and doctrine.
Well, sure. Don't those go hand in hand?
defender

Chicago, IL

#105187 May 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I tip my hat to you. Learned people who appreciate philosophy are few and far between. Yet philosophy sort of underpins everything we think and do in the world. Get a degree in philosophy and what are you qualified to do? Teach philosophy. Or write books.

Yet even the most knuckle dragging whackjob clutching rattlesnakes and praising Jesus is moved on some level by a deep seated notion that his five senses cannot tell him everything there is to know, therefore he needs something more.

I used to call myself an agnostic but eventually I just started embracing atheist as a label. I love the subtle differences between atheist-agnostic, agnostic-atheist, etc. But in the end I find that all of us pretty much seem to live as if no god exists anyway. So I just simplify the matter with "atheist".

Nobody can disprove the fuzzy, irrational version of a god that is just nature or just an idea. But we can destroy any concept of a specific god, such as Yahew or Jehovah or El or whoever. Once you start tacking specific qualities onto your god it is much easier to show how overwhelmingly improbable it is.

One thing I would also argue is that the typical concept of God is a logical impossibility unto itself. If god is all powerful and all knowing then it contains a logical contradiction. If you have all the power then you can act any way you wish. You can break from your predicted pattern. But if you are all knowing then you would already know that, thus nullifying the all powerful act of breaking the defined scheme.

Therefore an all powerful and all knowing god is logically impossible and does not exist.
Your wrong but well argued (for once) A great insight for the modern day Atheist...
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105188 May 29, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
1. No. I automatically LOSE because I AM stupid, not because I made an observation,, that some one else probably made already. Man, you people just don't get it. The insults aren't part of any debate and do nothing to diminish the LACK of ability I have to debate.
<quoted text>
2.If you think that's science, I'm sorry. I don't see how RPM would be worthy of discussion past elementary school. There is no knowledge to be gained there.
1. You have THAT right anyway
Give us the cylinder cyclic equation for a hard drive spinning at 85 percent capacity then.
2. You should be sorry for hate baiting, and your stupidity shows EVEN more, as you continue to spew YOUR Ignorance.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105189 May 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Despite the typical hostile sarcasm that puts your sanity in constant doubt, you made a good point.
Thank you.(I much prefer decent Science overall, in comparison to just carnal perversions any day!)
not a believer

Georgetown, KY

#105190 May 29, 2013
Bunch of stupid redneck bigots trying to push their beliefs on other people. What's new, it's eastern KY.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#105191 May 29, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you.(I much prefer decent Science overall, in comparison to just carnal perversions any day!)
Some might say that even "decent" science is a slippery slope. Those party animal physicists and paleontologists are infamous in xtian circles for their debauchery, ya know.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105192 May 29, 2013
not a believer wrote:
Bunch of stupid redneck bigots trying to push their beliefs on other people. What's new, it's eastern KY.
Sometimes anyone just has to agree, and say "yup"... mostly because there are narrow minded, ignorant and clueless people like that everywhere.
If it's not how they "perceive things"... then everyone else must just be "wrong".
If it wasn't so pathetic, it would almost be laughable, but it's not, so it will just remain pathetic :-).
ProvenScience

London, KY

#105193 May 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Some might say that even "decent" science is a slippery slope. Those party animal physicists and paleontologists are infamous in xtian circles for their debauchery, ya know.
So I've heard. Which just goes to show, immorality knows NO specific realm either and can be found ANY where as well !!
Karmacoma

Corbin, KY

#105194 May 29, 2013
Sowchild wrote:
As far as giving the kids something good to learn, how about science? It is the only belief system we have that even strives for truth, and that is also a good moral lesson, to expect and strive for truth, no matter the consequences. I am not against teaching religion in schools, but only if it is framed in a philosophical or sociological way, like a world religions course.
Science is not a belief system. Here's the definition for you.

Science (from Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge"[1]) is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.[2][3] In an older and closely related meaning, "science" also refers to a body of knowledge itself, of the type that can be rationally explained and reliably applied.

Religion relies on faith. It has nothing to prove its validity. Science, however, is backed up by facts and evidence.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#105195 May 29, 2013
Sarisly wrote:
<quoted text> 2 points for good cognitive reasoning. Galileo was placed under house arrest in 1634 and died while still under it in 1642. He was not burned, however Giordano Bruno was executed for heresy in that manner in 1600. Bruno's cosmological theories went beyond the Copernican model(research it!). Among the areas of his research, was mathematics. I will leave the rest to be discovered, should inspiration drive you.
Thanks for the correction.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#105196 May 29, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
I already mentioned that, TRUTHFULLY, with out twisting and distortion, as well along with LOTS about that MANY pages ago.
It is an area which many are in denial about.
However
DO keep trying your hand at your own UNwarrented, UNneeded, UNessential, UNcalled for hate baiter advise though, rather than just trying to pretend you have any sense , OR say at all over what others should or should not do. In other words, grow up.
Why some methods of discipline control in schools are still vastly needed-for those like yourself, that just cannot control their ignorance.
We hate to have some people give us advice because we know how badly they need it themselves.
Anonymous
That's a nice fantasy world you live in, but it's called the Goddamned Particle.

Location hidden

#105197 May 29, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>His Point was Not Accurate and his insistence on his variation of term is of no more import as my variation of term.. His view and surprisingly your support of his view that age is of no import and that perceived development is the important part is the mindset of a past or future child molester...

"In popular usage, pedophilia means any sexual interest in children or the act of child sexual abuse, often termed "pedophilic behavior". For example, The American Heritage Stedman's Medical Dictionary states, "Pedophilia is the act or fantasy on the part of an adult of engaging in sexual activity with a child or children." This common use application also extends to the sexual interest in and sexual contact with pubescent or post-pubescent minors. Researchers recommend that these imprecise uses be avoided because although people who commit child sexual abuse commonly exhibit the disorder, some offenders do not meet the clinical diagnosis standards for pedophilia and these standards pertain to prepubescents.[10][14][15] Additionally, not all pedophiles actually commit such abuse. "

Rationalizing a Child is good to go if are "Developed" is disgusting whether it be by a Priest, Mormon or self proclaimed intellectual...
Why are you throwing Mormons in there??

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#105198 May 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Says an outsider
Not anymore, everyone is privy to all information now, for virtually no cost, no commitment, no more masks. Mostly because people like me who leave these religions, posting everything about our experiences online for the world to see. Even the Mormon elders don't try to hide anything anymore, they know that this information can be looked up, there is no "secret story" anymore either, the whole "god came from another planet" is now public knowledge, there is no denying it. of course, it's no more crazy than the "god is outside of time and space" nonsense, but face it, no one on this planet has secrets anymore, and that's what I love about the internet most.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#105199 May 29, 2013
Sarisly wrote:
Do you have a point to make with this? Are you a Christian? Do you believe in a God, demons, faith healing, trinity, eternal torture in hell-fire for all nonbelievers?

Do you claim to be a watchman of God's word and accept that the bible is 100% inspired by God and completely correct?

Location hidden

#105200 May 29, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, humans are completely different from all other animals on the planet. Well, except for that pesky 98% DNA match we have with chimpanzees. And if you're willing to overlook the ~80% genetic similarity between humans and cows...etc

We have better developed brains. That's why we're able to fly around with metal wings in a jet.
Don't we have a 96% match with dogs too? Those percentages mean a lot of difference even in the top 5%

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anybody just want to chat about just whatever???) 10 min Edmund 32
Stanley Peace barber shop 19 min Floyd 21
Timmy Jordan 2 hr Idk 5
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 3 hr Jan 4,421
A New Word Game~Four Words. (Jun '10) 4 hr Jan 264
Word game (Dec '10) 4 hr Jan 294
Remove Sherman Lawson from City Council ! 4 hr interesting 45
Shooting 7 hr Quantummist 8

Barbourville Jobs

Personal Finance