Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,003

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104626 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did you have a point?
Your church states that if one is not married in the Mormon church, the couple will not be together in heaven. So why are you not protesting all marriage outside your church?
Will allowing homosexuals to marry cause your beliefs to change? If not, then it is not changing anything for your marriage. Thus your complaints about gay marriage are petty.
My point was to show you the church's stance on marriage and the family.

Marriage is a great thing, whether in the temple or not. The difference is: not in the temple means til death do you part. They even say that in the marriage ceremony. Why do you think they do? They knew to acknowledge that they didn't have the sealing powers to bind on earth and in heaven as described in the New Testament.

I don't fight gay marriage for my own marriage, but for the integrity of God's plan and the family unit. Petty to you, not to me.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#104627 May 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Women hold an equally important role in our church. Most would argue that it is more important. Their roles are different than men's roles. Neither is greater than the other. Sorry, but no discrimination here.
"Equally important"? So just what is equal to the priesthood? What is equal to your prophet? What role do women of your church hold that "most" consider "more" important?

Location hidden

#104628 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry I do not know all the lingo of your religion. I now see that "revelation" does not mean it is in the bible, but just some claim by one of your fallible prophets.
So one of your fallible prophets claimed Jesus personally told him to discriminate against women and he had a few buddies who also heard Jesus say this? I would love for this prophet to have described what Jesus really looked like. It might have cleared up some of that race discrimination your church participated in for over a hundred years due to a fallible prophet and his claims.
All prophets are fallible. They are men. They make errors just like everyone else. They sin just like everyone else (though probably much less). This is what set Jesus apart. He never sinned, He wasn't fallible. This is why I'm not muslim.

He did describe what Jesus looked like. And God the Father as well.
Google is a click away. You should educate yourself on this religion before trying to tell a member of it what they believe.

Location hidden

#104629 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Then it should not be hard to post one, yet you failed to produce a single one.
Let me ask again, show us a scripture that shows women cannot hold the priesthood. You claimed Jesus said this, but now show Jesus never said this in the bible. Ok, so where does it say in the bible what I asked? Can you produce or keep running by diverting until I forget the question?
I posted one part that shows this. Doctrine and Covenants 84.

I'm not sure that the Bible comes out and says that women can't hold the priesthood in those exact words, but certainly it speaks of the priesthood being passed down from father to son, and even from man to man. Also, every prophet, apostle, and levitical priest mentioned in the Bible is male.

Please tell me if you require further information as to assure you I am not running from the question.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#104630 May 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, I have nothing against civil unions. What is the difference between marriage and a civil union to you?
Where has the LDS church been complaining about abortion?
again, do you deny the church complains about abortion?

Many complain civil unions do not get equal benefits. Why should they call it something other than marriage? It is a marriage by definition, so seems your complaint is pure superstition with zero reasons given.
Again I ask, in what way does gay marriage hurt you or your marriage?
Keep running from this question.

Location hidden

#104631 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Your answer showed extreme selfishness.
Now if you could only explain why gay marriage is going to take something away from you I will then understand.
I am concerned for others in this case, not myself. Whatever the world does outside my front door will not affect me in this matter. However, the overall degradation of society in general affects the children today, and in the future. I do what I can to protect the family unit. Not just this topic, but others as well. I think our church does well at promoting strong families. I think if more people practiced keeping the Sabbath Day holy by doing the Lord's work and spending time with family, families would be stronger. I think if more families put their distractions away and ate supper together, it would strengthen families. I think if more families practiced my church's Family Home Evening program once a week, it would strengthen familes. If fathers and mothers treated each other with respect as well as their children, that example of love and kindness would transfer to children.

Yeah, how selfish of me

Location hidden

#104632 May 24, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop being squeamish. Before Protestantism, before Catholicism, before Judaism, even before Hinduism, there were tribal leaders who interpreted the mysteries and the supernatural. Deal with it.
How do you know what was before the religions that claim to be in existence since the beginning of mankind? I know the Bible claims this, and so does Hinduism.

You don't

Location hidden

#104633 May 24, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Science often does seem to at least have SOME logical explanations about religious practices though.
For example-
levitation (l&#277;v&#300;t&# 257;´sh&#601;n), the raising of a human or other body in the air without mechanical aid. The idea is ancient; holy men, both pagan and Christian, were reputed to have had the power of becoming light at will and of moving through the air. It is a favorite manifestation in séances. It is also a popular conjuring trick, the illusion being produced by clever mechanical or lighting arrangements or other means.
"levitation." The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed.. 2013. Encyclopedia.com . 24 May. 2013 < http://www.encyclopedia.com >.
or
Levitation
The rising of physical objects, tables, pianos, etc., or of human beings into the air, contrary to the known laws of gravitation and without any visible agency. More often the term is used in a restricted sense and refers to the levitation of the human body. As such, the phenomenon was reported from ancient times. Instances of transportation, or teleportation, which is levitation in its highest form, are recorded both in the Jewish Bible and the Christian New Testament, illustrated, for example, by Jesus' walking on the water, a feat reportedly accomplished by many of the saints.
The power was claimed by wizards of many primitive tribes, by mystics in the East, and it has been repeatedly claimed, in less sensational degrees, by several modern Spiritualist mediums. The mediums offered themselves as evidence to science that the miracles of rising in the air recorded in the life of saints, ecstatics, witches, and victims of demoniac possession might rest on a solid !!!!! BASIS of FACT !!!!!
"Levitation." Encyclopedia of Occultism and Parapsychology. 2001. Encyclopedia.com . 24 May. 2013 < http://www.encyclopedia.com >.
I agree there are similarities in all belief systems, and even claims like these. Interesting topic.

But he is claiming to know the origins of religions. Neither the religious or the non-religious can prove this.

Location hidden

#104634 May 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I am concerned for others in this case, not myself. Whatever the world does outside my front door will not affect me in this matter. However, the overall degradation of society in general affects the children today, and in the future. I do what I can to protect the family unit. Not just this topic, but others as well. I think our church does well at promoting strong families. I think if more people practiced keeping the Sabbath Day holy by doing the Lord's work and spending time with family, families would be stronger. I think if more families put their distractions away and ate supper together, it would strengthen families. I think if more families practiced my church's Family Home Evening program once a week, it would strengthen familes. If fathers and mothers treated each other with respect as well as their children, that example of love and kindness would transfer to children.
Yeah, how selfish of me
So, how does gay marriage weaken society? You still haven't explained how a gay couple getting married threatens another family's structure. Or am I missing something?

Location hidden

#104636 May 24, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing at all to do with atheism. Like it or not, man was living in established civilizations long before Genesis was written.
I'm sorry your feelings are challenged by the concept that there were "primitive" humans living in tribes before there were "enlightened by the Alpha and Omega, Jehovah, AKA Yahweh, the one true God of Israel" humans living in tribes.
When you speak of anthropolicial origin of religion, it certainly has to do with Atheism. Simple search and this comes up:

"Modern anthropology assumes that religion is in complete continuity with magical thinking,[1] that it is a cultural product,[4] and that is a phenomenon of psychological projection. The complete continuity between magic and religion has been a postulate of modern anthropology at least since early 1930s.[1][5] The perspective of modern anthropology towards religion is the projection idea, a methodological approach which assumes that every religion is created by the human community that worships it, that "creative activity ascribed to God is projected from man."

This certainly describes how atheists feel about religion.

Location hidden

#104637 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well our guesses are not biased upon what we believe is infallible ancient claims. We look at all information and make educated guesses that stand to reason and logic bases on the information.
btw their was much written history on religion before yours was invented.
Change the word "invented" to "written" and I can agree.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#104638 May 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree there are similarities in all belief systems, and even claims like these. Interesting topic.
But he is claiming to know the origins of religions. Neither the religious or the non-religious can prove this.
Why the "written" parts of such, really ARE rather pertinent, for any sort of studies of anything!

Just mine own "written" opinion though :-).

Location hidden

#104639 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>"Equally important"? So just what is equal to the priesthood? What is equal to your prophet? What role do women of your church hold that "most" consider "more" important?
One good example: Motherhood trumps anything man can do.

Location hidden

#104640 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>again, do you deny the church complains about abortion?
Many complain civil unions do not get equal benefits. Why should they call it something other than marriage? It is a marriage by definition, so seems your complaint is pure superstition with zero reasons given.
I haven't denied or confirmed it. I asked that you show me.

As for how does it hurt me: I answered your question dude. Go back and read.

Location hidden

#104641 May 24, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
So, how does gay marriage weaken society? You still haven't explained how a gay couple getting married threatens another family's structure. Or am I missing something?
I didn't say a gay couple getting married threatens another family's structure. It threatens their family's structure.

I'm anxious to see more statistical data as time goes on, now that gays are allowed to marry in some states. For now, statistical data shows that gays prefer more variety in sexual partners and are less monogamous. So this would suggest that divorce rates would be higher, which certainly affects those with children. I truly hope that this won't be the case, because when children are involved, they suffer the most in divorces.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#104642 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>We tell you the answer to this post daily, yet you fail to get it.
Lets start again with my number one beef with you. You demean science due to your religious beliefs. I think this hurts our society.
If my religious beliefs,meaning ,I believe in God and Jesus Christ as my saviour, demean science,I could care less.
Science is not my God and my Faith is not based on misguided Scientific theories and opinions..
If Atheists are offended by my beliefs,that is their problem.
If you ,are expecting an "I'm sorry you feel that way" or an apology,you will get neither.
I neither apologize nor am I sorry for my beliefs
I am honored that God has adopted me and that Christ is my saviour.

Location hidden

#104643 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
What benefits don't a couple get with a civil union, that married folk get?

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#104644 May 24, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
"Or am I missing something?"

Yes, "special understanding"(the religie or topix kind) you will have to become a religie to use it, good luck.
defender

United States

#104645 May 24, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:

What does Gay marriage hurt? Why not group marriage? Or human-animal marriage?... Look most people today are afraid of saying what they really feel... Not me... I'm not saying everyone shouldn't have equal rights ... That's fine but that isn't what the homosexual movement wants anyway... How do I know that? Cause they already are getting what they want in every state... That battle is over... What they want is to cram their lifestyle down everyone's throat and bully people like you are this nice guy... Bottom line is it's disgusting... If you want to have sex with men then burn it up bro... You want to marry a man then great! Good for you... But don't look to darkin my door with your nasty ass lifestyle cause you just might get to meet the God you mock...

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#104646 May 24, 2013
Lmao, "bully people". Just like every religie on here has done with the "damnation" threat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 7 min yeah man 4,538
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 37 min Alfred Hohagen Fe... 16,167
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Princess412 81,633
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 1 hr True Anon 7
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Le Jimbo 153,111
joann gregory 1 hr Somebody she stol... 6
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Hatti_Hollerand 3,530
Republicans have tunnel vision!! 19 hr Limbertwig 70
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••