Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
100,001 - 100,020 of 128,948 Comments Last updated 22 min ago

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Monogamy began before recorded history, more than likely so they would feel an alliance with each other and the male would know which children were his that he needed to support. No ceremony or vow needed to happen for this type of union. Marriage wasn't talked about or confirmed in public until religions were involved. Feel free to research it. You can easily find this.
Again, civil unions are fine with me.
And you did ask about the leader of my church. I knew you didn't really want to know, that's why I didn't answer, I just told you his name so you could look him up if you wanted to. Again, you can call it discrimination if you want to. The best explanation I have heard was from an apostle. Men have the priesthood because we need it. Women seem to have a more natural tendency towards righteousness.
I asked for the scripture you claimed Jesus spoke of only men holding the priesthood. You failed to supply the answer.

You made the claim of marriage, now prove it. I think marriage came long before written history. Marriage is but a commitment.
In our society, government regulates this commitment and gives many benefits for that commitment. Religion fights that process due to bigotry. The same sort of bigotry that your church is well known for with black persons and women. Your church fought for prop eight and this cause many to not have the benefits of equality in our society.

I cannot remember every question I ask you. You run for days from so many that eventually I forget the question. Can you give me a hint on the leader question? How long ago did I ask the question?
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

stuck in a lodi wrote:
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> I did not say it was 100% fool-proof. The majority of people who put the condom on in the correct manner do not experience "bursting or breakage". My point is; it's better than having no protection and risking such diseases.
For your second point, I said I encourage NO SEX UNTIL AFTER MARRIAGE, what part of that did you not understand? But I'm not going to pretend to be stupid in thinking that they will marry as a virgin! It is my responsibility as a parent to teach them SEX ED 101. for both genders! Yes and Amen wrote:
AMEN!
Lust of anything is bad, sex, money, power!
It all withers, rusts, and blows away!
What we think important today is garbage tomorrow!
I'm still trying to figure out how to take all the good stuff with me when I die.:) j/k
Trouble is... not a lot of "Good" here... since the fall! Memories of loves, and family?
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

stuck in a lodi wrote:
I'm just saying this not a specific toward anyone here. Going to church does not make one a christian no more than going to Mcdonalds makes you a hamburger! This is just my opinion , not directed to anyone at all
Agreed!
It's understanding just how evil we are... Killing, lusting, lying... Bad people in general (Just look at the people running the government!)
Knowing that God Loves us so much, that He gave us a way out of damnation... Jesus!
We repent, and turn from what we were, and trust that Jesus paid
for what we did!
Thank you Jesus!
Amen!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You seemed more heated than normal, and you began attacking me personally. I assumed you were more upset than normal. I wasn't offended, just trying to calm you down.
You support what your church does as far as bigotry to women. So if this is the part, then I stand by that accusation until you show you are not supporting that bigotry and discrimination. You are for this discrimination, correct? If so, do not whine about being called a bigot. Don't like being called a bigot? Then maybe stop supporting discrimination.
It was pointed out to you that not allowing women high ranking jobs is discrimination. Just because you have a different view about it for jobs outside your church does not get you off the hook. If you discriminate anywhere, you discriminate.

Does it upset me when people discriminate? Yes, and this is yet another reason I oppose your religion, not because I am secretly searching for your god.
It is very clear to me a just god would not be a bigot. Thus your god must be myth.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>Do whut, it is though, the Church's place to teach morality, which also includes men raping women and girls, or sex for money and drugs. That is a good percentage of unwanted pregnancies now. It does not all fall on the woman or young girl. Men are just as guilty. Seems the Church lacks in teaching men and boys the same moral guidelines as they do the females. "Guys keep your hands off her till marriage" should be taught the same as "girls save yourself till marriage". It still takes two!
Morals should be taught in all stages of life, AND by ALL society!
Look at where we are now because we didn't!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't know my church was complaining about abortions. I thought it was just me on here stating my beliefs. Did I miss something?
Fighting gay marriage is their way of fighting for what they hold sacred in the eyes of God.
Read the next post. It is how the church feels about marriage.
Keep fighting gay marriage and keep seeing us protest your god and call it out as for being the myth that it is.

You are complaining about abortions. Are you going to tell us that your church does not, honestly?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
The Family
A Proclamation to the World
The First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children.
All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.
In the premortal realm, spirit sons and daughters knew and worshipped God as their Eternal Father and accepted His plan by which His children could obtain a physical body and gain earthly experience to progress toward perfection and ultimately realize their divine destiny as heirs of eternal life. The divine plan of happiness enables family relationships to be perpetuated beyond the grave. Sacred ordinances and covenants available in holy temples make it possible for individuals to return to the presence of God and for families to be united eternally.
The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God’s commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife.
We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God’s eternal plan.
Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children.“Children are an heritage of the Lord”(Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.
The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.

Edited for space.
Did you have a point?
Your church states that if one is not married in the Mormon church, the couple will not be together in heaven. So why are you not protesting all marriage outside your church?
Will allowing homosexuals to marry cause your beliefs to change? If not, then it is not changing anything for your marriage. Thus your complaints about gay marriage are petty.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Pay attention this time
Brigham: His opinion. Never stated it was a revelation.
Joseph: Stated the purposes and boundaries of the Priesthood and stated that it was direct revelation from Jesus Christ. Witnesses were present.
Sorry I do not know all the lingo of your religion. I now see that "revelation" does not mean it is in the bible, but just some claim by one of your fallible prophets.
So one of your fallible prophets claimed Jesus personally told him to discriminate against women and he had a few buddies who also heard Jesus say this? I would love for this prophet to have described what Jesus really looked like. It might have cleared up some of that race discrimination your church participated in for over a hundred years due to a fallible prophet and his claims.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Of course. I'm sorry, I'm sure it isn't your fault.
That you are wrong? You're correct here, it isn't my fault

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
All through the Doctrine and Covenants.
Then it should not be hard to post one, yet you failed to produce a single one.
Let me ask again, show us a scripture that shows women cannot hold the priesthood. You claimed Jesus said this, but now show Jesus never said this in the bible. Ok, so where does it say in the bible what I asked? Can you produce or keep running by diverting until I forget the question?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you are talking to me, and asking my opinion on things, so yes, this particular answer was about me and how I feel.
Your answer showed extreme selfishness.
Now if you could only explain why gay marriage is going to take something away from you I will then understand.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
That you are wrong? You're correct here, it isn't my fault
Stop being squeamish. Before Protestantism, before Catholicism, before Judaism, even before Hinduism, there were tribal leaders who interpreted the mysteries and the supernatural. Deal with it.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Then it should not be hard to post one, yet you failed to produce a single one.
Let me ask again, show us a scripture that shows women cannot hold the priesthood. You claimed Jesus said this, but now show Jesus never said this in the bible. Ok, so where does it say in the bible what I asked? Can you produce or keep running by diverting until I forget the question?
The apologists claim that women shouldn't be allowed to hold priest status because Jesus didn't have a woman apostle (according to the Councils of Constantine, anyway). He also didn't have any pets, so by that logic, it's time to put down Fido and Fluffy.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text> I never have felt the presence of a shaman in my life. I do the Living God. Yes I do get it. Smart enough to know what's real and what isn't. I guess it's your word against mine. I'd like to ask you something. If we all initially came from some big bang, why are we like snowflakes. Shouldn't we all all have the same DNA/genetic make up? But..you cannot answer this because in all honesty no one knows what really happened. That is a fact. No human on earth can go back whether billions (as some claim) or thousands of years (as others claim) and tell the story beginning to end. That info does not exist. Studies and findings yes, theories yes. All the story?..no. Still searching for a way to prove their theory and will still be at it when they come face to face with the truth. It would take one who was there in the beginning to tell it all. Right? I know Him. And that's what I believe...Nite.
You equate a shaman to a god and state that DNA came from the Big Bang, so obviously you are NOT smart enough to get it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>If a religious person explains science in a rational manner, there isn't any issue. It's when they get it bass ackward because they 1) are manipulative 2) have been manipulated or 3) just palin (LOL! accidentally appropriate typo, there) don't know what they are talking about that the issues become heated.
I don't care about your "priesthood." You can investigate the anthropological origins of religion for yourself, as you dare. I've found that the topic is somewhat interesting and relevant to the thread, since it is also closely related to the origins of the arts.
Why would I care what atheists think about the origins of religion? They are guessing at anything (beyond survival) that a man was thinking before recorded history.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I care what atheists think about the origins of religion? They are guessing at anything (beyond survival) that a man was thinking before recorded history.
Science often does seem to at least have SOME logical explanations about religious practices though.
For example-
levitation (l&#277;v&#300;t&# 257;´sh&#601;n), the raising of a human or other body in the air without mechanical aid. The idea is ancient; holy men, both pagan and Christian, were reputed to have had the power of becoming light at will and of moving through the air. It is a favorite manifestation in séances. It is also a popular conjuring trick, the illusion being produced by clever mechanical or lighting arrangements or other means.
"levitation." The Columbia Encyclopedia, 6th ed.. 2013. Encyclopedia.com . 24 May. 2013 < http://www.encyclopedia.com >.
or
Levitation
The rising of physical objects, tables, pianos, etc., or of human beings into the air, contrary to the known laws of gravitation and without any visible agency. More often the term is used in a restricted sense and refers to the levitation of the human body. As such, the phenomenon was reported from ancient times. Instances of transportation, or teleportation, which is levitation in its highest form, are recorded both in the Jewish Bible and the Christian New Testament, illustrated, for example, by Jesus' walking on the water, a feat reportedly accomplished by many of the saints.
The power was claimed by wizards of many primitive tribes, by mystics in the East, and it has been repeatedly claimed, in less sensational degrees, by several modern Spiritualist mediums. The mediums offered themselves as evidence to science that the miracles of rising in the air recorded in the life of saints, ecstatics, witches, and victims of demoniac possession might rest on a solid !!!!! BASIS of FACT !!!!!
"Levitation." Encyclopedia of Occultism and Parapsychology. 2001. Encyclopedia.com . 24 May. 2013 < http://www.encyclopedia.com >.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It has nothing at all to do with atheism. Like it or not, man was living in established civilizations long before Genesis was written.
I'm sorry your feelings are challenged by the concept that there were "primitive" humans living in tribes before there were "enlightened by the Alpha and Omega, Jehovah, AKA Yahweh, the one true God of Israel" humans living in tribes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I asked for the scripture you claimed Jesus spoke of only men holding the priesthood. You failed to supply the answer.

You made the claim of marriage, now prove it. I think marriage came long before written history. Marriage is but a commitment.
In our society, government regulates this commitment and gives many benefits for that commitment. Religion fights that process due to bigotry. The same sort of bigotry that your church is well known for with black persons and women. Your church fought for prop eight and this cause many to not have the benefits of equality in our society.

I cannot remember every question I ask you. You run for days from so many that eventually I forget the question. Can you give me a hint on the leader question? How long ago did I ask the question?
I told you it was in D&C. Chapter 84 shoes the oath of the Priesthood. He speaks of how the Priesthood is passed from Father to son, and He tells us it was for the sons of Moses. Here is an excerpt:

For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies.
They become the sons of Moses and of Aaron and the seed of Abraham, and the church and kingdom, and the elect of God.

You should read the whole chapter.

The origins of marriage predate recorded history, so my only source is the Bible. Other religions tell a similar story of the origin.
The only other speculation of origin is for a man to feel paternal rights to his own children and access to sexual relations with the same female. Usually they paid a bride price to her father for this. That doesn't sound much like marriage to me, but maybe it was for that type of society.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Thus your claim that marriage did not take place before written history is just a guess.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You support what your church does as far as bigotry to women. So if this is the part, then I stand by that accusation until you show you are not supporting that bigotry and discrimination. You are for this discrimination, correct? If so, do not whine about being called a bigot. Don't like being called a bigot? Then maybe stop supporting discrimination.
It was pointed out to you that not allowing women high ranking jobs is discrimination. Just because you have a different view about it for jobs outside your church does not get you off the hook. If you discriminate anywhere, you discriminate.

Does it upset me when people discriminate? Yes, and this is yet another reason I oppose your religion, not because I am secretly searching for your god.
It is very clear to me a just god would not be a bigot. Thus your god must be myth.
Women hold an equally important role in our church. Most would argue that it is more important. Their roles are different than men's roles. Neither is greater than the other. Sorry, but no discrimination here.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

78 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 3 min Hatti_Hollerand 3,807
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 21 min Demonicrats 146,896
Bipolar Women are better at Sex (Jan '11) 1 hr bipolar chick 24
parkway svc center (Jan '13) 1 hr Tutle Wax 6
Stivers Center fixes 1 hr goofy 60
wendy abner and rick hubbs (Jul '10) 1 hr bbgirll 10
Dentist AJ Smith 2 hr Fred 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000