Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,163

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#104716 May 25, 2013
Some of the guys and gals that post on here think that some of us are not nice in the way we post, the reason is evident. And I can say, not one religie on here has ever been attacked "first" with personal insults, by me. As for their absurd beliefs put it out there and I will poke it with a stick.

Some of the Atheists and fence sitters on this thread are just as arrogant and as smug as the religies.

Blow me.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#104718 May 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Which splinter group are you talking about? The dispute over plural marriage was not the reason for the first divide in views. Emma Smith thought that Joseph Smith III should have been the next prophet after Joseph's martyr. This started the RLDS church (Called Community of Christ now after they ran out of money and had to denounce the BOM to receive financial help from other churches)
Are you speaking of some other splinter group that happened after 1890 like the FLDS church?
We believe the church has been restored from what Christ set up. Angelic visitations were common in the scriptures. If the church is restored, wouldn't you expect angelic messengers again?
Sunni's and Shiite's have the same dispute.

While I do not agree that Joseph should have been killed for it, but do you agree with his agenda of making America a theocracy?

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#104719 May 25, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Father of "ToE"? Is that how you justify your stupidity?
You go ahead and read "The origin of species" and tell me how many times the big bang is referenced. Then, actually learn something about science and figure out that the theory of evolution is over TWICE as old as the big bang is. Idiot.
<quoted text>
That is NOT what the theory says. Idiot.
<quoted text>
Which is totally different from intelligent design, right? Right?
Idiot.
And, again, evolution has nothing to do with abiogenesis.
<quoted text>
First, define species. Second, explain how you differentiate species of bacteria. Apply this to all further arguments.
Also, it has never been observed in the natural world or lab that intelligent design has brought about a new species.
<quoted text>
After thousands of generations of bacteria grown guess what?... For all the mutations not one shred of evidence for intelligent design... Ever...
Apply the same to evidence for an intelligent designer, a being which your "theory" rests entirely upon.
And all this "faith" and "religion" bullsh!t:
Come on. I know you want to feel like you're right. I know you want to lend more credence to your beliefs that what the descriptor "faith" implies. But you don't get to call unbiased evidence based scientific theories "faith" and "religion" just because your beliefs are. You're screaming and clawing in an attempt to put scientific theories down on the same shelf. Sorry. Not gonna happen. You'll just continue to be a self-defeating moron.
I recommend reading a science book or a non-propaganda website for once in your life. If you do so with an open mind and NO assumptions concerning anything going into it, you are likely to walk away a better person. I honestly don't think you're capable, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway so that you can improve yourself if you so choose.

Monkey unmensch is a toe-head.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#104720 May 25, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm.. Have you not watched any news lately McFly? Several states have gay marriage ... So what's stopping them?... And what you do or let others do with your anal cavity... Well... That's on you... I don't wanta know... But hey have fun!!
Several states do. Most do not. Soon all will.

But as it stands if I marry a dude in some state with marriage equality my marriage will not be recognized if I move to Kentucky.

You call that equal?

Location hidden

#104721 May 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Which splinter group are you talking about? The dispute over plural marriage was not the reason for the first divide in views. Emma Smith thought that Joseph Smith III should have been the next prophet after Joseph's martyr. This started the RLDS church (Called Community of Christ now after they ran out of money and had to denounce the BOM to receive financial help from other churches)
Are you speaking of some other splinter group that happened after 1890 like the FLDS church?
We believe the church has been restored from what Christ set up. Angelic visitations were common in the scriptures. If the church is restored, wouldn't you expect angelic messengers again?
I don't remember the names. It was due to the 1886 thing. John Taylor? That split.

Anyway, no I would not expect angelic messengers because there is no such thing. You got some DNA from one?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#104722 May 25, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
If my religious beliefs,meaning ,I believe in God and Jesus Christ as my saviour, demean science,I could care less.
Science is not my God and my Faith is not based on misguided Scientific theories and opinions..
If Atheists are offended by my beliefs,that is their problem.
If you ,are expecting an "I'm sorry you feel that way" or an apology,you will get neither.
I neither apologize nor am I sorry for my beliefs
I am honored that God has adopted me and that Christ is my saviour.
Note, I oppose your beliefs when they demean science. If you wish to believe in god or Jesus I have no large dispute, except when it interferes with what our society does.
The way you speak of science interferes with what our society does, thus I have a dispute.

Science is not my god either. I believe in ZERO gods. Science is but a tool for understanding and learning, never to be worshiped.

Location hidden

#104723 May 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I approve this message.
We could probably help the divorce rate if we outlaw all marriage. Problem solved.
I can't say that is a bad idea.

Location hidden

#104724 May 25, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa there....
Not EVEN remotely. You generally seem to make sense when you post, but you must have turned off your brain on this one.
Pedophelia is a sexual attraction to an undeveloped child. As in pre-pubescence. There is essentially no such thing as a pre-pubescent 16 year old. This is almost certainly not some sick inappropriate physical attraction, and you should not be insulting and jump so such conclusions.
A sexual attraction to a fully developed 16 year old female is NOT remotely pedophelia. The arbitrary 18 year limit is completely wrong in many cases. The only reason one should be prevented from having a relationship when there is a small age gap like <3 years is if there is a significant gap in mental development which could cause the younger party to be taken advantage of, which is again not likely. I mean, yeah, it's pretty sick when a 50 year old man goes after a 17 year old girl, but that's entirely for reasons other than pedophelia.
Agreed.

I remember seeing a story about a guy whose girlfriend was under 18 (16 or 17) and he was 19. Her dad brought him up on statutory rape charges and he was a convicted sex offender for a bunch of years. Even though the two got married and are still married decades later.

I am 100% behind laws that protect kids. If you are a kid, you cannot make important decisions about sex, motherhood, marriage or any of that stuff. But when it comes to criminalizing teen sex that is another story altogether. And to refer to teens having sex as "pedophilia" is batsh*t crazy to say the least.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#104725 May 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What benefits don't a couple get with a civil union, that married folk get?
Tax benefits, hospital visitation, insurance sharing, inheritance rights, custody rights.

Location hidden

#104726 May 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You have 0 experience with this obviously. I spend 80% of my time off of work trying to make my wife happy (the other 20% I am making my kids happy). I do not rule over my wife in any way.
Can she hold the priesthood and be head of the household? Because if she were gone you could still raise the kids. So the only special privileged you give her is actually given by nature itself. Yet you hold a wizard status with magic powers that she cannot have.

I'm not saying you treat her badly at all or that you aren't lorded over by her in every day life. Don't get me wrong. My point is that your religious tradition DOES treat women as inferior. Demonstrably true.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#104727 May 25, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
What does Gay marriage hurt? Why not group marriage? Or human-animal marriage?... Look most people today are afraid of saying what they really feel... Not me... I'm not saying everyone shouldn't have equal rights ... That's fine but that isn't what the homosexual movement wants anyway... How do I know that? Cause they already are getting what they want in every state... That battle is over... What they want is to cram their lifestyle down everyone's throat and bully people like you are this nice guy... Bottom line is it's disgusting... If you want to have sex with men then burn it up bro... You want to marry a man then great! Good for you... But don't look to darkin my door with your nasty ass lifestyle cause you just might get to meet the God you mock...
So have zero examples of how gay marriage hurts you?
Animals do not get the rights of humans.

I have no problem if someone wants plural marriage. Do you have a problem with it? If so, then are all the players of the OT immoral?

Location hidden

#104728 May 25, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, I have yet to see a religie on here who does not dodge the questions. The old "bob and weave" is good distraction. Why bother with a respectful conversation when none is returned.
Yeah, I kinda gave up trying to be very civil. I'll extend civility if the person tries to be polite and civil. But I just can't stomach bigots and the willfully ignorant these days. And I guess there's no reason I have to.

Location hidden

#104729 May 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Tax benefits, hospital visitation, insurance sharing, inheritance rights, custody rights.
Also respect and full membership in modern society. We place a huge importance on the family. If you are a husband and wife combo you have full access to society's perks. Gays are routinely denied this access by way of being denied marriage rights.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#104731 May 25, 2013
defender wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't let these bozos tell you the science is on their side... Not by a long shot!!! They can prove nothing.. In fact ToE (theory of evolution) has more holes than a block of Swiss cheese... It's the desperate hope of agenda pushing lefties... Science in fact points to an intelligent design... It's the 900 pound gorilla in the room that the evolutionist doesn't want to face....
You use the word "prove" for evolution but then use the words "points to" for ID. Double standard?
Evolution is simply what the fossil record points to. Now if you could only show this intelligent designer, you may someday have a case.
But the bible claims all species were made at one time, but the evidence proves this as absolutely false beyond a shadow of a doubt.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#104733 May 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I doubt their family would extend past the two of them since it is so hard to adopt if you aren't married. I'm really only talking about families with children here.
I'm against gay marriage, not gay civil unions. If a gay couple is able to provide physically, and emotionally for a child, I'm fine with gay adoption. The child may have a tough life explaining why they have 2 dads or 2 moms, but as our society gets more used to it, this will get easier too. Not sure about in school though. Kids are relentless sometimes with the way they pick on each other.
What I was saying earlier though, is if the statistics for monogamy with gays rings true in gay unions, there will be more children hurt by families split up than we have currently. It's already bad with straight couples that divorce, but bring in a population with a worse record, then it will make the total worse as well. The end result will be more kids with a jacked up home life.
Maybe when society stops condemning homosexuals and allow them to marry, you would see more getting the privilege of adoption. It could lead to better monogamy also, as that is one large goal of the commitment of marriage. Forbid it at the peril of society.

Do a thought experiment once in a while. If we forbid heterosexual marriage, what chances do you think monogamy would decrease?

I think you have no idea how to put yourself in another persons shoes.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#104734 May 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was to show you the church's stance on marriage and the family.
Marriage is a great thing, whether in the temple or not. The difference is: not in the temple means til death do you part. They even say that in the marriage ceremony. Why do you think they do? They knew to acknowledge that they didn't have the sealing powers to bind on earth and in heaven as described in the New Testament.
I don't fight gay marriage for my own marriage, but for the integrity of God's plan and the family unit. Petty to you, not to me.
So marriage is about something after earth?
The marriage debate is not asking for eternal bonds in the after life. This is a legal issue. If you wish to continue keeping certain people out of your afterlife club, who cares? Not I.
The vows one says is up to them, but the legal document of marriage has nothing to say on the afterlife.

Now please explain how gay marriage threatens the "family unit"?
And how does legal marriage for homosexuals threaten gods plan?
You keep repeating it threatens, yet can produce no reasoning.
Mindless phrases just makes me look correct and you as a blind follower.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#104735 May 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
All prophets are fallible. They are men. They make errors just like everyone else. They sin just like everyone else (though probably much less). This is what set Jesus apart. He never sinned, He wasn't fallible. This is why I'm not muslim.
He did describe what Jesus looked like. And God the Father as well.
Google is a click away. You should educate yourself on this religion before trying to tell a member of it what they believe.
So because the religion you were raised in(Christianity) claims Jesus was infallible, that proves Islam as false?
I asked YOU what he said Jesus looks like. Again you refuse to answer a simple question.
I have already forgotten who it is that made the claim, and I am not going to search for the post.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#104736 May 25, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa there....
Not EVEN remotely. You generally seem to make sense when you post, but you must have turned off your brain on this one.
Pedophelia is a sexual attraction to an undeveloped child. As in pre-pubescence. There is essentially no such thing as a pre-pubescent 16 year old. This is almost certainly not some sick inappropriate physical attraction, and you should not be insulting and jump so such conclusions.
A sexual attraction to a fully developed 16 year old female is NOT remotely pedophelia. The arbitrary 18 year limit is completely wrong in many cases. The only reason one should be prevented from having a relationship when there is a small age gap like <3 years is if there is a significant gap in mental development which could cause the younger party to be taken advantage of, which is again not likely. I mean, yeah, it's pretty sick when a 50 year old man goes after a 17 year old girl, but that's entirely for reasons other than pedophelia.
19 year old going after a 15 .... Pedophilia... I don't care if the Kid has 44dd's .... Sexual Contact of even non intercourse type will get you 5 to 10 years in state prison and a life long registration to the Sexual Predator lists....
defender

United States

#104737 May 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So have zero examples of how gay marriage hurts you?
Animals do not get the rights of humans.

I have no problem if someone wants plural marriage. Do you have a problem with it? If so, then are all the players of the OT immoral?
You miss the point... I don't care!!!! Just leave those who don't want it in their lives alone?... What's so hard about that?
defender

United States

#104738 May 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You use the word "prove" for evolution but then use the words "points to" for ID. Double standard?
Evolution is simply what the fossil record points to. Now if you could only show this intelligent designer, you may someday have a case.
But the bible claims all species were made at one time, but the evidence proves this as absolutely false beyond a shadow of a doubt.
Wrong again caption crunch!! The evidence clearly shows that life has always depended on other life to survive... This is where system complexity and dependency come into play... Unless you got some of that magic pixy dust that is... Lol.. Really?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Linda Darlene Doolin (Jan '09) 12 min barberette5657 3
teena Marie mills 32 min infoman 7
Mike Smith For Sheriff (Feb '14) 1 hr Darren 226
food stamp office 1 hr Darren 16
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 2 hr Just a fact 22
jason hughes 4 hr sky 10
jessica napier 12 hr hmm 1
praying it's all a lie 22 hr Just the truth 5
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Wed dad 52
Barbourville Dating