Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
99,861 - 99,880 of 130,623 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#104464 May 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I believe in a divine plan, just not predestination. There is a huge difference
Explain the difference then.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#104465 May 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Defense is not considered murder.
this is correct, however, neither is killing a convicted murderer considered murder. Murder is taking life illegally. Abortion is not murder either.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104466 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I just think that one's thought processes have to contort through a lot of rigmarole to accept the doctrines and dogmas that have been built up by nearly two thousand years of theologians' crafting. If one can ascribe to it without any undue brain sweat, their brains are likely pretty squishy to begin with - present company excepted, of course.
How much credence do you place in Scientology or Heaven's Gate? Same thing.
I get that you think all religious people are lacking upstairs.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#104467 May 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
this is correct, however, neither is killing a convicted murderer considered murder. Murder is taking life illegally. Abortion is not murder either.
But it IS Homicide....

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#104468 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no footing to support the notion that marriage began as a religious act. If you are wed by a secular Justice of the Peace or sea captain, you are married - not unioned. Are there any women bishops in the LDS? NO. If you do not actively advocate women in your "priesthood," then you do not wish for women to have high ranking jobs. Don't propose invalid statements just to support religious opinion.
Maybe the first marriage was not a religious act but the first man and woman were joined as one flesh by God.(Genesis 2 18-25.) A judge or captain or preacher can legally marry two people. God joins the two as one flesh. Many no longer want the traditional vows and promises to God that they will honer those vows. It's now till divorce do us part. The divorce rate is climbing everyday and the institution of marriage is disappearing fast. Most live together first, if they ever do marry. Virgins.. not the whores, are ridiculed now. Purity no longer matters to most men. I really don't believe two non-believers are joined by God. He says it is better to not vow at all than to vow and break it. Without sincerely taking your vows before God, and asking Him to sanctify the marriage leaves you with a civil union. Matter of fact God set forth what was expected of a husband and what was expected of a wife. Actually a woman was never told to go away from the home to work. To bear the man's children and keep the home fires burning,(working to make a good home) were the way it was meant to be. Not his slave but his help meet. To love her as Christ loved the Church of which he died for. There is no shame in anything now. Big difference between a prudent wife and a prude.

Location hidden

#104469 May 22, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure if you are aware, but IUDs, as with other chemical/hormonal birth control methods, generally attempt to prevent fertilization either by preventing the release of eggs or killing sperm. These attempts do fail. And these birth control methods generally have "backup" effects that cause the uterus to be unfavorable for pregnancy, causing the fertilized egg to be rejected.
This fact is a large part of my confusion about the opinions of "life begins at conception" people who also support birth control methods like this. It would seem to me that these have a significant chance of essentially being automatic abortion of a zygote, and would therefore be absolutely incompatible with such a view. Is this a matter of people not understanding the mechanism involved, or do they consider it an unfortunate side effect that is OK because it generally tends to happen less than 10% of the time.
<quoted text>
Yes, they know the risks, but you know the risks when you get in a car. If you have a wreck, should you not be able to get help with the situation, or should you have to lay in the ditch bleeding and just deal with it because you knew the risks?
<quoted text>
I tend to say things that way because people generally do not "get" the difference between 1% and 2%. It's not that they intentionally try to diminish the difference, it's just the way the human mind works unless you train it to deal with statistics. The fact is, a 2% occurrence happens 100% more often than a 1% occurrence. So if something actually happens 10-11% of the time instead of 1%...
<quoted text>
Because you're capable of being more articulate than the vast majority of people I've seen that share your general opinion on this. Maybe you could explain your position where others have utterly failed. Perhaps you will actually consider questions that I have about things that I see as highly inconsistent. I mean, after almost a week of prodding, you've eventually given me pretty good answers.
I don't share my opinions because things get very very gray for me after a point. This isn't black or white and I don't have any stance that I could hold firm to (and CERTAINLY nothing that I would stand on a soapbox for), whereas you apparently do. I honestly don't know what I would be inclined to do in some situations, and I can see multiple sides with valid points.
<quoted text>
I'm not sure that going down that path is beneficial to your position. If an individual is brain dead, then I cannot imagine why a single penny should be spent keeping the rest of their body "alive" when there are people with fully formed and functioning brains suffering and dying all over the world, and the organs of the brain dead person could undoubtedly save many lives. It does far more good for humanity (and is clearly the moral choice) to simply let them go, and it's utterly selfish on the part of the families that cling to nothing for years and years.
Some IUDs do not use hormones. I am not in favor of the ones that terminate a fertilized egg. Prevention is fine.

The car analogy seems backwards. The victim of a car accident would need help staying alive. This seems backwards from the person that needs help ending a life.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#104470 May 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
But it IS Homicide....
So is killing in self defense and killing a convicted murderer.

Location hidden

#104471 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, I think Mary WAS an apostle and that the early church couldn't handle the truth so they manhandled it, instead. Keep up the good work?
No, it was clear that there were 12 apostles. When one killed himself, he was replaced, to keep it at 12 to represent the 12 tribes of Israel.

He showed Himself to Mary at the tomb, then He visited the apostles. Thomas wasn't present so He came back to make sure all 12 were present. Mary wasn't present at that meeting. However, I'm not opposed to the idea that Mary was His wife. That is very possible.

Location hidden

#104472 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
To find the origins of marriage, look at continuity of family, property, tribe and political influence. Socially, those things all predate religion, unless you believe that religion is older than mankind. shrug. Not much help for that.
The concept and practice of "priesthoods" are not confined to the LDS, or even Christianity, and like any other power structure it is more often peppered with segregation and elitism than not.
Of course I believe that religion existed with Adam.

I'm only speaking of the priesthood in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I exclude the rest with my comments.

Location hidden

#104473 May 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
But it IS Homicide....
When you plan to kill it is murder. besides that, it's premeditated. Abortion and defense of a nation of people (as the soldier) are not the same. As always God know's the heart. Most soldiers don't want to kill.

Location hidden

#104474 May 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain the difference then.
In short, predestination means that we do not have personal agency (free will or the ability to chose for ourselves).

Foreordination means set apart for a particular purpose. Agency is not stripped.

Location hidden

#104475 May 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, murder is not just killing illegally. It is also killing of the innocent. Abortion is murder.

Location hidden

#104476 May 22, 2013
Many religions such as Catholicism say abstinence or the rhythm method is the only acceptable birth control because sex is only for procreation. The Bible says the marriage bed is not defiled. The pure pleasure of sex between a married couple is honorable to God. The very reason God made Eve for Adam, because he was lonely, not just to have children only.

Location hidden

#104477 May 22, 2013
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe the first marriage was not a religious act but the first man and woman were joined as one flesh by God.(Genesis 2 18-25.) A judge or captain or preacher can legally marry two people. God joins the two as one flesh. Many no longer want the traditional vows and promises to God that they will honer those vows. It's now till divorce do us part. The divorce rate is climbing everyday and the institution of marriage is disappearing fast. Most live together first, if they ever do marry. Virgins.. not the whores, are ridiculed now. Purity no longer matters to most men. I really don't believe two non-believers are joined by God. He says it is better to not vow at all than to vow and break it. Without sincerely taking your vows before God, and asking Him to sanctify the marriage leaves you with a civil union. Matter of fact God set forth what was expected of a husband and what was expected of a wife. Actually a woman was never told to go away from the home to work. To bear the man's children and keep the home fires burning,(working to make a good home) were the way it was meant to be. Not his slave but his help meet. To love her as Christ loved the Church of which he died for. There is no shame in anything now. Big difference between a prudent wife and a prude.
In my church we are married for time and all eternity, not just til death do us part. So obviously we believe God to be a part of the sealing.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#104478 May 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So is killing in self defense and killing a convicted murderer.
Absolutely... As long as folks admit that Abortion is Homicide and those that Commit Homicide should be Judged as to the if it is Justified by the courts on an individual basis just as with Self Defense and killing of a convicted murderer.. We do not just allow the person that kills in self defense to walk away without question... The facts of the individual act are presented to the prosecutors office to determine if the claim of self defense is justified... If there is not evidence such a homicide was Not Justified the person claiming self defense faces prosecution...

I am opposed to the death penalty because of the possibility of one innocent person at some point is put to death...

But I have no problem with putting a bullet in the head of a person breaking into my house, or in defense of another human life..

It's a matter of Justification, and personal inconvenience or in the case of abortion doctors, Profit... Is to me Unjustified....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#104479 May 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I get that you think all religious people are lacking upstairs.
Not all, not always religious, not always lacking.

Enough to the substantially curve grade, though.
Have you not been paying attention to what they post?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#104480 May 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I believe that religion existed with Adam.
I'm only speaking of the priesthood in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I exclude the rest with my comments.
I do not believe in Adam, because religion was created by shamans and witch doctors. I'm only speaking of reasonable and non-superstitios critical thinking. I exclude the rest with their comments.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#104481 May 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it was clear that there were 12 apostles. When one killed himself, he was replaced, to keep it at 12 to represent the 12 tribes of Israel.
He showed Himself to Mary at the tomb, then He visited the apostles. Thomas wasn't present so He came back to make sure all 12 were present. Mary wasn't present at that meeting. However, I'm not opposed to the idea that Mary was His wife. That is very possible.
Pfft.
Really? Numerology? No mention of the gentiles?
Are you saying that the 12 apostles were of the 12 tribes? They were not. Chauvinism runs deeply in the church - just as the Council intended...

“See how you are?”

Earth

#104482 May 22, 2013
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe the first marriage was not a religious act but the first man and woman were joined as one flesh by God.(Genesis 2 18-25.) A judge or captain or preacher can legally marry two people. God joins the two as one flesh. Many no longer want the traditional vows and promises to God that they will honer those vows. It's now till divorce do us part. The divorce rate is climbing everyday and the institution of marriage is disappearing fast. Most live together first, if they ever do marry. Virgins.. not the whores, are ridiculed now. Purity no longer matters to most men. I really don't believe two non-believers are joined by God. He says it is better to not vow at all than to vow and break it. Without sincerely taking your vows before God, and asking Him to sanctify the marriage leaves you with a civil union. Matter of fact God set forth what was expected of a husband and what was expected of a wife. Actually a woman was never told to go away from the home to work. To bear the man's children and keep the home fires burning,(working to make a good home) were the way it was meant to be. Not his slave but his help meet. To love her as Christ loved the Church of which he died for. There is no shame in anything now. Big difference between a prudent wife and a prude.
I think it's sooo cute that you can recite from Promise Keepers like that. There might even be hope that your gender will settle back down into its place someday. pat, pat... Now God wants you to run along home, pretty yourself up and fix supper.

Location hidden

#104483 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not believe in Adam, because religion was created by shamans and witch doctors. I'm only speaking of reasonable and non-superstitios critical thinking. I exclude the rest with their comments.
And by all fairness they exclude yours. Various religions may have been created by shamans and witch doctors, and those are the religions Christians resist. It's so funny that some on here don't realize they are laughed at also as they laugh at others. They say they don't believe in God or Satan yet they believe in shamans and witch doctors with some miraculous powers.'laffin'..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City councilman raising property Tax Next 5 min lateda 11
Kfc 8 min chickadee 9
ps3 10 min qwert 3
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min Limbertwig 151,485
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 11 min child 1,051
knox board of ed raising taxes 12 min Think 11
Baby sitter avaliable! 14 min money 4
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000