Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,583

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104472 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
To find the origins of marriage, look at continuity of family, property, tribe and political influence. Socially, those things all predate religion, unless you believe that religion is older than mankind. shrug. Not much help for that.
The concept and practice of "priesthoods" are not confined to the LDS, or even Christianity, and like any other power structure it is more often peppered with segregation and elitism than not.
Of course I believe that religion existed with Adam.

I'm only speaking of the priesthood in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I exclude the rest with my comments.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#104473 May 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
But it IS Homicide....
When you plan to kill it is murder. besides that, it's premeditated. Abortion and defense of a nation of people (as the soldier) are not the same. As always God know's the heart. Most soldiers don't want to kill.

Location hidden

#104474 May 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Explain the difference then.
In short, predestination means that we do not have personal agency (free will or the ability to chose for ourselves).

Foreordination means set apart for a particular purpose. Agency is not stripped.

Location hidden

#104475 May 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
this is correct, however, neither is killing a convicted murderer considered murder. Murder is taking life illegally. Abortion is not murder either.
No, murder is not just killing illegally. It is also killing of the innocent. Abortion is murder.

Location hidden

#104476 May 22, 2013
Many religions such as Catholicism say abstinence or the rhythm method is the only acceptable birth control because sex is only for procreation. The Bible says the marriage bed is not defiled. The pure pleasure of sex between a married couple is honorable to God. The very reason God made Eve for Adam, because he was lonely, not just to have children only.

Location hidden

#104477 May 22, 2013
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe the first marriage was not a religious act but the first man and woman were joined as one flesh by God.(Genesis 2 18-25.) A judge or captain or preacher can legally marry two people. God joins the two as one flesh. Many no longer want the traditional vows and promises to God that they will honer those vows. It's now till divorce do us part. The divorce rate is climbing everyday and the institution of marriage is disappearing fast. Most live together first, if they ever do marry. Virgins.. not the whores, are ridiculed now. Purity no longer matters to most men. I really don't believe two non-believers are joined by God. He says it is better to not vow at all than to vow and break it. Without sincerely taking your vows before God, and asking Him to sanctify the marriage leaves you with a civil union. Matter of fact God set forth what was expected of a husband and what was expected of a wife. Actually a woman was never told to go away from the home to work. To bear the man's children and keep the home fires burning,(working to make a good home) were the way it was meant to be. Not his slave but his help meet. To love her as Christ loved the Church of which he died for. There is no shame in anything now. Big difference between a prudent wife and a prude.
In my church we are married for time and all eternity, not just til death do us part. So obviously we believe God to be a part of the sealing.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#104478 May 22, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So is killing in self defense and killing a convicted murderer.
Absolutely... As long as folks admit that Abortion is Homicide and those that Commit Homicide should be Judged as to the if it is Justified by the courts on an individual basis just as with Self Defense and killing of a convicted murderer.. We do not just allow the person that kills in self defense to walk away without question... The facts of the individual act are presented to the prosecutors office to determine if the claim of self defense is justified... If there is not evidence such a homicide was Not Justified the person claiming self defense faces prosecution...

I am opposed to the death penalty because of the possibility of one innocent person at some point is put to death...

But I have no problem with putting a bullet in the head of a person breaking into my house, or in defense of another human life..

It's a matter of Justification, and personal inconvenience or in the case of abortion doctors, Profit... Is to me Unjustified....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#104479 May 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I get that you think all religious people are lacking upstairs.
Not all, not always religious, not always lacking.

Enough to the substantially curve grade, though.
Have you not been paying attention to what they post?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#104480 May 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I believe that religion existed with Adam.
I'm only speaking of the priesthood in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I exclude the rest with my comments.
I do not believe in Adam, because religion was created by shamans and witch doctors. I'm only speaking of reasonable and non-superstitios critical thinking. I exclude the rest with their comments.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#104481 May 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it was clear that there were 12 apostles. When one killed himself, he was replaced, to keep it at 12 to represent the 12 tribes of Israel.
He showed Himself to Mary at the tomb, then He visited the apostles. Thomas wasn't present so He came back to make sure all 12 were present. Mary wasn't present at that meeting. However, I'm not opposed to the idea that Mary was His wife. That is very possible.
Pfft.
Really? Numerology? No mention of the gentiles?
Are you saying that the 12 apostles were of the 12 tribes? They were not. Chauvinism runs deeply in the church - just as the Council intended...

“See how you are?”

Earth

#104482 May 22, 2013
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe the first marriage was not a religious act but the first man and woman were joined as one flesh by God.(Genesis 2 18-25.) A judge or captain or preacher can legally marry two people. God joins the two as one flesh. Many no longer want the traditional vows and promises to God that they will honer those vows. It's now till divorce do us part. The divorce rate is climbing everyday and the institution of marriage is disappearing fast. Most live together first, if they ever do marry. Virgins.. not the whores, are ridiculed now. Purity no longer matters to most men. I really don't believe two non-believers are joined by God. He says it is better to not vow at all than to vow and break it. Without sincerely taking your vows before God, and asking Him to sanctify the marriage leaves you with a civil union. Matter of fact God set forth what was expected of a husband and what was expected of a wife. Actually a woman was never told to go away from the home to work. To bear the man's children and keep the home fires burning,(working to make a good home) were the way it was meant to be. Not his slave but his help meet. To love her as Christ loved the Church of which he died for. There is no shame in anything now. Big difference between a prudent wife and a prude.
I think it's sooo cute that you can recite from Promise Keepers like that. There might even be hope that your gender will settle back down into its place someday. pat, pat... Now God wants you to run along home, pretty yourself up and fix supper.

Location hidden

#104483 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not believe in Adam, because religion was created by shamans and witch doctors. I'm only speaking of reasonable and non-superstitios critical thinking. I exclude the rest with their comments.
And by all fairness they exclude yours. Various religions may have been created by shamans and witch doctors, and those are the religions Christians resist. It's so funny that some on here don't realize they are laughed at also as they laugh at others. They say they don't believe in God or Satan yet they believe in shamans and witch doctors with some miraculous powers.'laffin'..

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#104484 May 22, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Then everyone convicted of homicide for killing one should have those convictions overturned right? Since it is impossible for someone to commit Homicide if what they are committing homicide on is not a person... All those that have kicked a woman in the belly and killed a fetus, All those that have killed a woman carrying a fetus should have the homicide convictions overturned and retried for assault only in the killing of the fetus...
Scott Peterson was given the death penalty because he was convicted of a Double Homicide... If he had only murdered one Person he would have gotten 20 to life...
But beyond that Your view is simply Opinion and is not a legal status.. Legal Status is provided by individual State Laws covering Homicide and in many states a Fetus is Absolutely Legally considered a Person... Some states specifically state it in those exact words.. Some state is as a Homo sapiens
Ala. Code 13A-6-1 (2006) defines "person," for the purpose of criminal homicide or assaults, to include an unborn child in utero at any stage of development, regardless of viability and specifies that nothing in the act shall make it a crime to perform or obtain an abortion that is otherwise legal.
Ohio Rev. Code Ann. 2903.01 et seq.(2002) define aggravated murder, murder, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, negligent homicide, aggravated vehicular homicide, aggravated vehicular assault, felonious assault, aggravated assault, assault and negligent assault. The law applies to a person, which includes an "unborn member of the species Homo sapiens, who is or was carried in the womb of another."
W. Va. Code 61-2-30 recognizes an embryo or fetus as a distinct unborn victim of certain crimes of violence against a person, including homicide and manslaughter.
And so forth....
It is a messy topic, as I said about a million times before.

I am not basing any of this on law. I don't care what the law says. Laws can and do change.

What I care about is basing my opinion on a firm moral footing in accordance with the best scientific evidence. Prior to about 26 weeks a fetus cannot feel pain nor is it conscious in any way. If a mother wants to get an abortion at that time it is not your business or mine.

Poverty and birth rates are closely tied. Giving women 100% control over their reproductive health is essential in reducing poverty.

Poverty is a huge source of suffering.

We want to reduce suffering, as that is the basis of morality.

That is my point.

Location hidden

#104485 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's sooo cute that you can recite from Promise Keepers like that. There might even be hope that your gender will settle back down into its place someday. pat, pat... Now God wants you to run along home, pretty yourself up and fix supper.
There is no reference from Promise Keepers unless you can show me a coincidence. Promise Keepers is associated with Hospice Care. Where is the connection here? I never said that is the way things ARE now but you are right. God still wants men to support their families and for a woman to maintain a good home for the family. Women are out working 40-60 hours a week, a sitter is raising their kids by their own moral standards , the wife throws a sack of Mac'D's on the table and the man can't seem to find a dang job. The downfall of the family. Promiscuity, adultery, divorce and ill raised children are it's product. I have never read promise keepers ideas but you could do well to read or listen to "Focus on the Family"! Men who can actually explain what the heck has happened to today's families.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#104487 May 22, 2013
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>And by all fairness they exclude yours. Various religions may have been created by shamans and witch doctors, and those are the religions Christians resist. It's so funny that some on here don't realize they are laughed at also as they laugh at others. They say they don't believe in God or Satan yet they believe in shamans and witch doctors with some miraculous powers.'laffin'..
Sorry, darlin'. Where do you think the earliest stories of the OT came from? Earlier civilizations such as the Sumerians. Where did they get their earliest stories from? Word of mouth, passed down stories from antiquity, sagas from even earlier times. Go back far enough and the mythologies started in mud huts and animal skin tents. AKA shamans and witch doctors trying to make sense of their mysterious world. Preachers, priests, rabbis and imams are still doing the exact same thing. BTW, shouldn't you be cooking supper and changing diapers?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#104488 May 22, 2013
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>There is no reference from Promise Keepers unless you can show me a coincidence. Promise Keepers is associated with Hospice Care. Where is the connection here? I never said that is the way things ARE now but you are right. God still wants men to support their families and for a woman to maintain a good home for the family. Women are out working 40-60 hours a week, a sitter is raising their kids by their own moral standards , the wife throws a sack of Mac'D's on the table and the man can't seem to find a dang job. The downfall of the family. Promiscuity, adultery, divorce and ill raised children are it's product. I have never read promise keepers ideas but you could do well to read or listen to "Focus on the Family"! Men who can actually explain what the heck has happened to today's families.
Focus on Family? You are out of your mind if you think that Dobson's outfit is virtuous. Who else do you endorse - Pat Robertson? LOL!

Location hidden

#104489 May 22, 2013
As far as Promise Keepers are concerned, I had forgotten about the men's association called Promise Keepers. I don't know what they believe. I don't recite them either. It's a man thing.

Location hidden

#104490 May 22, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Focus on Family? You are out of your mind if you think that Dobson's outfit is virtuous. Who else do you endorse - Pat Robertson? LOL!
Did I say Pat Robertson or any other flake. Do you read or listen to FOTF ? If not you have no way of knowing. Of course you would hate Dobson. Because he teaches the Bible.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#104491 May 22, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Some IUDs do not use hormones. I am not in favor of the ones that terminate a fertilized egg. Prevention is fine.
http://humupd.oxfordjournals.org/content/14/3...

"Both copper IUDs and levonorgestrel releasing IUSs may interfere with implantation, although this may not be the primary mechanism of action. The devices also create barriers to sperm transport and fertilization, and sensitive assays detect hCG in less than 1% of cycles, indicating that significant prevention must occur before the stage of implantation."

So, basically, even the copper IUD has evidence demonstrating that some non-zero chance of causing an abortion. It is well established that this doesn't happen the majority of the time, but it still can happen. As far as I know, all hormonal birth control methods have the same drawback. So do you support them, or do you support none of them?
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The car analogy seems backwards. The victim of a car accident would need help staying alive. This seems backwards from the person that needs help ending a life.
Nope, it's only backwards because you're focusing on the welfare of the zygote instead of the functioning person. It's about dealing with consequences that happen even when you are taking precautions.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#104492 May 22, 2013
Wings of a Dove wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say Pat Robertson or any other flake. Do you read or listen to FOTF ? If not you have no way of knowing. Of course you would hate Dobson. Because he teaches the Bible.
I dislike James Dobson's family and cohorts because I'm long familiar with FOTF - and it's no better than the CC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Margret west clean up Darren's mess 7 min Darren west 2
Brett Ledford 10 min Info 2
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 34 min Princess Hey 370
Does anyone know Deana Hale 2 hr Jack jack 1
laptops 4 sale 3 hr travis 4
Quantummist real name is Paul Mays 3 hr hey 8
Carla davis 4 hr High yella 13
moma screwer 12 hr Dealer 6
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Mon beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating