Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,985)

Showing posts 99,681 - 99,700 of122,776
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: May 13

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's come together. Let's make a compromise: abortions prior to 26 or 28 weeks (I'll have to look it up, can't remember which is the prevailing science) are OK. Always. No questions, no subjecting girls to horrifying videos to slut shame and pressure them away from their decision. No Bible beating. You want an abortion at 14 weeks, here you go.
But after 26 weeks we limit it to rape, incest, risk of death of either the baby or the mother or both.
I can have that conversation. But when it comes to voluntary, early abortion that is not something we can compromise on. It is the right of the mother, period.
Regarding sex ed, I agree we need a much more robust approach to that topic. Abstinence can be part of it, but not exclusive. Kids are going to get nasty as soon as they can. If you were ever a teenager you know this is true. The only thing stopping a teenager from having sex at any given moment is opportunity. Prepare them correctly.
Sorry, no agree to disagree to disagree about this one. As I said, except for forced situations, the woman exercised her RIGHT when she willingly had the sex that she knew could make the baby. Children, of course, don't count. They are not developmentally able to make the decision, and because they are not taught that sex does not equal love, well, you know the outcome.

As to what is considered OK by prevailing science, a baby's heart is already beating as it travels down the fallopian tubes after fertilization. By the time a woman discovers she is pregnant, the baby has everything we do, including the ability to feel pain. I don't think that those horrible movies should be shown, either. Like I said, opposing sides need to work together to intelligently solve the problem, not act the fool, like a lot of them do now. The unwanted pregnancies and abortions would drastically decrease.

Teenager? Of course I was a teenager. I didn't have sex until I was in college. Shocking? Probably wouldn't have done that, but I'm bi-polar and had a mania episode. Mania and no sex before marriage do not go hand in hand.
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If you knew you would have verifiable and demonstrable evidence. So, where is this evidence? If you do not present it, then you just lied.
No... I don't lie any more...
Honesty is a side effect of Salvation, I could no more
purposely lie to you, than I could lie to God!
Funny thing is....
If I told you, that I seen a UFO...
You'd be all into that, and believe whatever I told you!
Something way more important, and your not willing to
SEEK Him yourself???
You don't WANT the Truth about anything, as it
would shine light on you, and you cannot have that!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying that contraceptives should not be used or taught to youth. I'm saying it isn't the responsibility of a church to be the teacher.
Abstinence is absolutely the best method of contraception. And if you took abortion off the menu of answers for irresponsible teen behavior, more would practice it. I doubt it would reduce sexual activity, but it would certainly raise that awareness that they will be forced to deal with the consequences (something not taught to youth as much as it should be).
But you keep banking on contraceptives as if it is the silver bullet. Did you see the statistic on the percentage of abortions that occurred that claim they USED contraceptives and they didn't work?
The "if" you wish for is not a reality. Abortion is not off the table and you keep forgetting the realities of human nature. Are their any other factors that you forget in your equation?
I do not think contraceptives are a silver bullet, but they do lead to less abortions.
You forget I push for adoption. The contraception part is what we disagree about so I focus on that part now. Wow you have a short memory.
Maybe instead of using pregnancy as some sort of punishment, just teach them that adoption is ok and not a sin.
Fact is, many who are religious fail to uphold the abstinence pledge and do have abortions. Why? Because some feel it is not their job to teach about contraceptives.

You can whine about the churches job description all day. I gave a good rebuttal for it and you have yet to address the point.
I am sure you have now forgotten that point. Here is a reminder. Is the job of the church to keep rights from homosexuals?
You run from many of our points and questions. You claim not to,but that is just an outright lie.
How stupid can you be

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? So you admit that religious people need to be institutionalized.
No!
Your a nasty person, and needs help!
Anyone that'd think killing babies is A-Ok.... needs help, and
LOTS of it!
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Ladies and gentlemen, I submit exhibit A.
Hahaha!
You so funny!
(Yes I said that, that way!)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying that contraceptives should not be used or taught to youth. I'm saying it isn't the responsibility of a church to be the teacher.
Abstinence is absolutely the best method of contraception. And if you took abortion off the menu of answers for irresponsible teen behavior, more would practice it. I doubt it would reduce sexual activity, but it would certainly raise that awareness that they will be forced to deal with the consequences (something not taught to youth as much as it should be).
But you keep banking on contraceptives as if it is the silver bullet. Did you see the statistic on the percentage of abortions that occurred that claim they USED contraceptives and they didn't work?
No I did not see the stat, but what does the stat mean? It tells me that some kids were not urged to use them as they should have been. Maybe someone felt it was not their job to urge the use of contraceptives.
When I say teach, I really mean urge, as most know something about contraceptives.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The foolishness of human wisdom cotinues to rear it's ugly head.
They believe that by denying God's existence and refusing to acknowledge any evidence that points to His existence,that God will cease to exist.
They believe that ,based on their defective theories and nonsensical opinions they can make God's word null and void.
It is magic,it is superstition are some of their more inane rantings.
Unable to understand,but driven by some invisible force,they continue to search for something they claim does not exist.
They try to hide their motives by claiming their interest is based on Public education teaching the bible,that Science is being demeaned,but,these excuses lead them,time and again,to keep inquiring about God...
What they fail to understand is the power contained in God's word;which they attribute to magic
12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
Moreover,their foolish minds will not accept the reality that one man,brought together 11 uneducated sinners,trained them according to his gospel and gave them The Great Commission
Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said,“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
These 11 and Paul went out and started the greatest and most successful peaceful revolution known to man.
It has stood the test of time,was not based on any human power or authority.
Based on the power of God's word,the powerless overpowered the world....
This of course,is not understood by the Wise Men of this age.
In their search for wisdom and in their efforts to deny God's existence,they have attained unto foolishness.
Their defective beliefs confirm their foolish state.
Most peaceful? You deny history now?
How stupid can you be

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because I am rather bored and since I agreed with you twice may as well hit this with you.
The ethical implications of abortion work in so many directions, the definition of life is so inaccurate as well, and there are so many factors to determine if an abortion is necessary or not, to simply outlaw it would be taking any and all blame for yourself. But to leave it to the woman and her medical physician to decide makes them responsible for making the correct choice, and there are cases in which an abortion will save the life of the woman. Without medical science most fetuses never live, they are either stillborn or aborted naturally, often when the woman's body is at risk to carry to term it will abort the fetus as well. Medical science has made it so finding these cases is easy, but not until the natural abortion has been suppressed, thus placing the woman in danger. If your god was real, it's basically defying your god's own will at that point, if you want to put it all existential.
So the question is this, what gives you any more of a right to deny nature (or your god's will) than the woman?
"woman and her medical physician"
You mean people like Kermit Gosnell???
Gosnell: Lady, your toenail is purple... we have to kill your baby!
Hump, n dump!
Yes and Amen

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Great day, and "Wisdom" to you all!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Before I got married, the Bishop at the time did talk to us about use of contraception until we are ready to have children.
Males holding the priesthood is not bigotry. It is just the way God works. There is a reason God sent His Son and not His daughter to atone for the sins of man.
Men and women should have equal rights. But the priesthood is not a right.
I am sure before black persons were able to hold the priesthood, the average Mormon would have said, that is just how god works.
This is just how god works is the worst answer you could have thought up. It is damning evidence for your beliefs to be false. It is evidence of why the religious are so often bigots. It is just how god works can be the answer for any blind faith and bad morality, but it never is a good answer.

Men and women should not be limited to equal rights, they should also be afforded equal privileges.
That rights versus privileges argument is typical of bigotry and racism. You use all the same language of racists.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you are wrong. Sorry, but you are wrong. There are times and places to promote good things. Church is not there to promote all of them. Church is there to promote faith in God.
Eating your green vegetables and your fruits is good too, but I don't go to church to hear about that.
Your church spent a lot of time effort and money on prop 8. Now keep running from this point. We see you running and we see your priorities.
Urging contraception should be a priority.
And looking at the numbers of obese people in churches, maybe they should teach a bit about eating more vegetables and less bread.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Susan Komen foundation: does marvelously good things for people. No mention of contraceptives.
Jerry's telethon and the MDA: fabulous good things for disabled people. No mention of contraceptives.
Leap Frog, the Wiggles, Barney: promote early education and child development. No mention of contraceptives.
DARE program: major advancement in the 80's to educate the dangers of drugs to kids. No mention of contraceptives.
LDS Church: one of the largest behind the scenes contributors to disaster relief and poverty. Brings people closer to Jesus Christ. Makes a strong promotion of abstinence from sex outside the bonds of marriage. Made a stance that contraceptives are appropriate until ready to have children.
Your argument fails
If your church is worries about abortions, I would think it would be proactive with contraceptive teaching.
Your excuses are getting more and more irrelevant.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Your statement was apparently missing a word or two. Read it again. You said:
Contraceptives are a path to unwanted pregnancies.
Are you sure you didn't mean: contraceptives are a path to PREVENT unwanted pregnancies?
Hence my confusion. Your sentence is opposite of the point you have been making.
I agree that contraceptives PREVENT unwanted pregnancies, but that isn't what you said.
So you agree that contraception is a path to slowing unwanted pregnancies? Great, now quit wasting time and effort complaining about my mistake in writing and promote what is good to slow unwanted pregnancies. If abortions are the result of unwanted pregnancies, this should be the logical conclusion. Yet you have a variety of excuses for you and your church to leave it off the priority list.
Wow

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Sue wrote:
Our school was founded on beliefs of the bible. Schools began in churches. How could it be wrong to teach morals? To me, it's unconstitutional to not teach what our founding fathers believed so much in.
Not everyone is the same religion or believes in religions. Religion shouldn't be in public schools, period. No one should be forced to practice or believe in someone they don't believe in or don't want to believe in.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
Great day, and "Wisdom" to you all!
Y Thank you , and same to you. You are such an "upbeat person" I find that quite refreshing!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The foolishness of human wisdom cotinues to rear it's ugly head.
They believe that by denying God's existence and refusing to acknowledge any evidence that points to His existence...
What evidence?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>"woman and her medical physician"
You mean people like Kermit Gosnell???
Gosnell: Lady, your toenail is purple... we have to kill your baby!
Hump, n dump!
Funny how you all have to lie about people to make yourself feel better.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No... I don't lie any more...
Honesty is a side effect of Salvation, I could no more
purposely lie to you, than I could lie to God!
Funny thing is....
If I told you, that I seen a UFO...
You'd be all into that, and believe whatever I told you!
Something way more important, and your not willing to
SEEK Him yourself???
You don't WANT the Truth about anything, as it
would shine light on you, and you cannot have that!
Of course I would not doubt you have seen an unidentified flying object, but if you claimed that UFO was an alien spececraft, I'd ask for verifiable and demonstrable evidence.

This is just gold, you just accused me of something that no one on here who knows me even a little would try to accuse me of, because I have already told a "I was visited by aliens" deluded one the same thing I am telling you now:

You made it all up. It's all in your head just because you are too lazy to actually study anything about reality. There has been no evidence supporting your religion, your religion is myth because of that. Have fun with your imaginary friend you call god, try to ask him for a brain.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
So you say that everyone with a KY address is me? Paranoid much? So I guess on that basis I can assume everyone with a hidden address are all the same people too!
No, I think that you're probably the only idiot within 20 miles of Pikeville that would come on here and type in the same manner, gargling the privates of the same people, and generally being a moron. Coolest thing about it is that you can't prove me wrong. You've already established, under your current name, that you are neither agnostic nor atheist. That doesn't leave much room for me to be wrong about my previous statements. Unless you're Buddhist or something. You can lie and tell me something like that, if you wish.
stuck in a lodi

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2013

Judged:

Not only does contraceptions (i.e. condoms) prevent unwanted pregnancies, it also prevents getting some kind of disease Ajax or clorox won't wash off! If for nothing else, shouldn't we all practice safe sex just on that point alone. Why bring a religious aspect into the mix. I have children; as most baby boomers and older generations do, I will encourage them to be safe and practice safe sex because in my opinion the other (don't have sex till after your married) is just unrealistic in this day and age! Although I encourage the ladder, I don't expect them to listen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 99,681 - 99,700 of122,776
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

101 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min freelancehobo 138,688
lamon jones 28 min Lamon Jr 15
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 34 min Ancient Wolf 81,202
Not Fair 39 min Lowell 1
Atv wanted 44 min sad 3
Corey vs. Collins 58 min Charley 57
hbic is bridget doolin she has herpies (Jul '09) 1 hr family 16
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••