Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 134,256

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104190 May 20, 2013
Goodheart wrote:
<quoted text>Recent televised airings don't portray a very enticing picture of that specific religion. At least not the extreme versions of it, and when held up to US civil codes, the term bigamy is more like it. One has to question the sanity of any "practice" where such extreme expectations put upon one person(s), exempts any logical rationality.

As if just supplying food enough, for just a few, isn't WORK enough?

Kind of "whacked in the membranes" type stuff, to some of us anyway, with out a doubt.
What extreme expectations?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104191 May 20, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You are either on the side of promoting what is good, or you are not.
The republicans are not promoting policies that lead to less abortions, democrats do.
No, you are wrong. Sorry, but you are wrong. There are times and places to promote good things. Church is not there to promote all of them. Church is there to promote faith in God.
Eating your green vegetables and your fruits is good too, but I don't go to church to hear about that.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#104192 May 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If this is what you expect to hear when you attend church, maybe that's why you are atheist.
Atheism has little to do with church. Most theists do not attend church. Please think before you type.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104193 May 20, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You are either on the side of promoting what is good, or you are not.
The republicans are not promoting policies that lead to less abortions, democrats do.
Susan Komen foundation: does marvelously good things for people. No mention of contraceptives.
Jerry's telethon and the MDA: fabulous good things for disabled people. No mention of contraceptives.
Leap Frog, the Wiggles, Barney: promote early education and child development. No mention of contraceptives.
DARE program: major advancement in the 80's to educate the dangers of drugs to kids. No mention of contraceptives.
LDS Church: one of the largest behind the scenes contributors to disaster relief and poverty. Brings people closer to Jesus Christ. Makes a strong promotion of abstinence from sex outside the bonds of marriage. Made a stance that contraceptives are appropriate until ready to have children.

Your argument fails

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#104194 May 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you are wrong. Sorry, but you are wrong. There are times and places to promote good things. Church is not there to promote all of them. Church is there to promote faith in God.
Eating your green vegetables and your fruits is good too, but I don't go to church to hear about that.
I hate agreeing with you, I honestly do, but you are correct in this matter. Health should be discussed with a qualified doctor, and contraception is technically health. Sex health does need to be included in school at some point during the education, but it is not religion's responsibility, nor should it be, to get involved in such matters.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104195 May 20, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yes it is and how can dispute this? Guess your church teaches you otherwise?
Clearly if you cannot even understand how contraception prevents pregnancies that are not wanted, you will not promote birth control. Guess your church feels the same.
Your statement was apparently missing a word or two. Read it again. You said:
Contraceptives are a path to unwanted pregnancies.

Are you sure you didn't mean: contraceptives are a path to PREVENT unwanted pregnancies?

Hence my confusion. Your sentence is opposite of the point you have been making.

I agree that contraceptives PREVENT unwanted pregnancies, but that isn't what you said.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104196 May 20, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>I just quoted it there again.

"When is abortion OK? Is it ever fine to terminate a pregnancy after an egg has been fertilized, in what cases, and why? Is an extremely high probability of a short life filled with pain and suffering a better thing than simply having a very short life with no pain and suffering? Is the body, life, and livelihood of a pregnant rape victim more or less important than a cluster of a few hundred cells sitting in her uterine wall?"

I've seen no complete answers for these, and I've looked at every post.
My opinion: it is only ok to abort a pregnancy if the mother's life is in danger.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104197 May 20, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism has little to do with church. Most theists do not attend church. Please think before you type.
I think you know what I meant. I worded it that way on purpose. I'm a southerner. I say "you" sometimes where a northerner would say "one".

But again, I think you knew what I meant. Just like I know you don't really mean "most theists do not attend church"

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#104198 May 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, best adoption program in the world. Strongest proponent for abstinence outside the bonds of marriage. This is the exact action I would expect from a church, not how to use condoms. If this is what you expect to hear when you attend church, maybe that's why you are atheist.
Public schools tried that abstinence only teaching and the results proved it ineffective. So keep up the poor teachings and keep seeing abortions increase. Your choice, deal with the results.
Also consider how it makes church look ineffective for the real world.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104199 May 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I hate agreeing with you, I honestly do, but you are correct in this matter. Health should be discussed with a qualified doctor, and contraception is technically health. Sex health does need to be included in school at some point during the education, but it is not religion's responsibility, nor should it be, to get involved in such matters.
LOL. I choked first, but then LOL

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#104200 May 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
My opinion: it is only ok to abort a pregnancy if the mother's life is in danger.
That's only a partial answer to one of the questions (if I assume that "the mother's life is in danger" means that there is a significant change of the actual pregnancy killing her, for medical reasons). Please go point by point and be thorough, even if your answer appears to be consistent with your first statement, as there are many nuances. I'd like to understand better.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you know what I meant. I worded it that way on purpose. I'm a southerner. I say "you" sometimes where a northerner would say "one".
But again, I think you knew what I meant. Just like I know you don't really mean "most theists do not attend church"
No, I really didn't know what you mean if it wasn't what you said. And I hope you don't "know that I didn't mean it", because I also DID really mean that most theists do not attend church. The only confusion could be what exactly defines church attendance, and I would say that going 1-2 times a year does not mean that you attend church. Including that group is the only way you reach a majority in this country among Christians. It's not even close among many other religions in this country, and generally speaking in most other countries.

And do remember that these already low rates are all self reported, and self reported values will always be skewed significantly high due to the reporting individual's guilt and self-perception of being religious. Studies have shown that the self reported rates may be in excess of 50% higher than reality.

Most theists do not attend church.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#104201 May 20, 2013
<quoted text>stuck in a lodi wrote, "For Your Information Ummm the reason I posted that paragraph AT THAT TIME was because someone had put 2 links on their post and I was reading that particular one at the time you were constantly calling names and dodging "do whut's" questions JUST LIKE Mr. O in the Racine Debate!!!! IT WAS POSTED JUST FOR YOU! you remind me of a child throwing a fit and stomping their feet saying : I don't have to answer you, but you have to answer me, you see those rules apply ONLY to you , not to me because I'm special!
I've noticed everytime you begin to post on this thread it suddenly goes silent.... WHY....because everyone here grows tired of your twaddle. Either you state your position to those you are addressing or STOP INSISTING OF OTHERS TO DO SOMETHING THAT YOU CLEARLY DON'T HAVE THE BACKBONE TO DO YOURSELF!"
Ok Mike....Let me explain this in terms your child-like brain can comprehend....Read the passage above slowly,,,,Now when you come to those words that are in CAPS.... Apply an Emphasis, or a Matter of Fact tone that is not used in the rest of the passage! If I were yelling as you suggest , The WHOLE POST would be in CAPS!

You do not make societies rules either!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#104202 May 20, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Public schools tried that abstinence only teaching and the results proved it ineffective. So keep up the poor teachings and keep seeing abortions increase. Your choice, deal with the results.
Also consider how it makes church look ineffective for the real world.
Be fair now, he did not recommend it being taught in place of actual health science, but merely pointed out that it is one of the most effective methods of birth control, and for that, he is not wrong. Please stop making him correct so much. Mormonism is attractive to agnostic theists more than gnostic theists, and the only serious problem I have with them is the anti-gay nonsense and their chauvinistic tendencies. They do have some sensibility.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#104203 May 20, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>stuck in a lodi wrote, "For Your Information Ummm the reason I posted that paragraph AT THAT TIME was because someone had put 2 links on their post and I was reading that particular one at the time you were constantly calling names and dodging "do whut's" questions JUST LIKE Mr. O in the Racine Debate!!!! IT WAS POSTED JUST FOR YOU! you remind me of a child throwing a fit and stomping their feet saying : I don't have to answer you, but you have to answer me, you see those rules apply ONLY to you , not to me because I'm special!
I've noticed everytime you begin to post on this thread it suddenly goes silent.... WHY....because everyone here grows tired of your twaddle. Either you state your position to those you are addressing or STOP INSISTING OF OTHERS TO DO SOMETHING THAT YOU CLEARLY DON'T HAVE THE BACKBONE TO DO YOURSELF!"
Ok Mike....Let me explain this in terms your child-like brain can comprehend....Read the passage above slowly,,,,Now when you come to those words that are in CAPS.... Apply an Emphasis, or a Matter of Fact tone that is not used in the rest of the passage! If I were yelling as you suggest , The WHOLE POST would be in CAPS!
You do not make societies rules either!
Online, all caps is considered yelling and has been since before the world wide web.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#104204 May 20, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>stuck in a lodi wrote, "For Your Information Ummm the reason I posted that paragraph AT THAT TIME was because someone had put 2 links on their post and I was reading that particular one at the time you were constantly calling names and dodging "do whut's" questions JUST LIKE Mr. O in the Racine Debate!!!! IT WAS POSTED JUST FOR YOU! you remind me of a child throwing a fit and stomping their feet saying : I don't have to answer you, but you have to answer me, you see those rules apply ONLY to you , not to me because I'm special!
I've noticed everytime you begin to post on this thread it suddenly goes silent.... WHY....because everyone here grows tired of your twaddle. Either you state your position to those you are addressing or STOP INSISTING OF OTHERS TO DO SOMETHING THAT YOU CLEARLY DON'T HAVE THE BACKBONE TO DO YOURSELF!"
Ok Mike....Let me explain this in terms your child-like brain can comprehend....Read the passage above slowly,,,,Now when you come to those words that are in CAPS.... Apply an Emphasis, or a Matter of Fact tone that is not used in the rest of the passage! If I were yelling as you suggest , The WHOLE POST would be in CAPS!
You do not make societies rules either!
What is it with crazy people and elipses/caps lock? It's amazing how so many share these traits.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#104205 May 20, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it with crazy people and elipses/caps lock? It's amazing how so many share these traits.
Normally I just ignore such posts reflexively. I do not like people who yell all the time.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#104207 May 20, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Normally I just ignore such posts reflexively. I do not like people who yell all the time.
I also tend to ignore those people that STILL cannot understand or comprehend one's meaning when it is explained to them in the simplest of terms as a dim witted individual without the slightest bit of intelligence.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104208 May 20, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Public schools tried that abstinence only teaching and the results proved it ineffective. So keep up the poor teachings and keep seeing abortions increase. Your choice, deal with the results.
Also consider how it makes church look ineffective for the real world.
I enjoy being different than the rest of the "real world". There is nothing wrong with teaching abstinence. The only fault lies in human weakness. Think about the teaching itself. If all abstained from pre-marital sex and even after marriage, used contraceptives until they were ready to start a family, huge amounts of problems would decrease. Really think about what the world would be like if they followed that advice.
There would be less families on welfare. There would be stronger family units which improve society as a whole. There would be more people finishing high school and even further education, which means a smarter society. There would be less divorce. There would be more families with a father and a mother to provide guidance to children and be good examples.
There would be less jealousy because they would know their spouse is going to be faithful, which leads to more focus while at work. Man, the list goes on and on.
So don't blame a good teaching. Blame weak human nature.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#104209 May 20, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
That's only a partial answer to one of the questions (if I assume that "the mother's life is in danger" means that there is a significant change of the actual pregnancy killing her, for medical reasons). Please go point by point and be thorough, even if your answer appears to be consistent with your first statement, as there are many nuances. I'd like to understand better.
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
I think you know what I meant. I worded it that way on purpose. I'm a southerner. I say "you" sometimes where a northerner would say "one".
But again, I think you knew what I meant. Just like I know you don't really mean "most theists do not attend church""

No, I really didn't know what you mean if it wasn't what you said. And I hope you don't "know that I didn't mean it", because I also DID really mean that most theists do not attend church. The only confusion could be what exactly defines church attendance, and I would say that going 1-2 times a year does not mean that you attend church. Including that group is the only way you reach a majority in this country among Christians. It's not even close among many other religions in this country, and generally speaking in most other countries.

And do remember that these already low rates are all self reported, and self reported values will always be skewed significantly high due to the reporting individual's guilt and self-perception of being religious. Studies have shown that the self reported rates may be in excess of 50% higher than reality.

Most theists do not attend church.
You know I wasn't suggesting Mike attends church. Period

My mistake on the assumption on your other point.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#104210 May 20, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoy being different than the rest of the "real world". There is nothing wrong with teaching abstinence. The only fault lies in human weakness. Think about the teaching itself. If all abstained from pre-marital sex and even after marriage, used contraceptives until they were ready to start a family, huge amounts of problems would decrease. Really think about what the world would be like if they followed that advice.
There would be less families on welfare. There would be stronger family units which improve society as a whole. There would be more people finishing high school and even further education, which means a smarter society. There would be less divorce. There would be more families with a father and a mother to provide guidance to children and be good examples.
There would be less jealousy because they would know their spouse is going to be faithful, which leads to more focus while at work. Man, the list goes on and on.
So don't blame a good teaching. Blame weak human nature.
Abstinence vs. safe sex? Reality check.
People can't even understand "Don't drink and drive, wear your seat belt, don't speed, use your turn signals, leave your cellphone alone, etc., etc." and the religious compliment of society blames young adults for being a jumbled mess of hormones.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 19 min Allison 70
Kayla Sparks and Melinda Marsee (Oct '08) 28 min MEC 5
I have a decision to make. 31 min Big Bug Podge 3
My new hat. 1 hr The Specialist 10
looking for a three bedroom for rent!!! 4 hr citizen 11
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 5 hr 40ish 3,742
who thinks john Bryant should come out of the c... 8 hr truther 1

Flood Warning for Knox County was issued at February 27 at 4:36PM EST

Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:17 am PST

NBC Sports 9:17AM
Michael Roos announces retirement
Bleacher Report 9:36 AM
Titans OT Roos Announces Retirement After 10 Seasons
Yahoo! Sports 9:46 AM
Titans left tackle Michael Roos retires after 10 seasons
CBS Sports 5:55 AM
Devon Still tweets that daughter Leah is home after latest treatment
Bleacher Report 9:58 AM
Vince Young Registered at NFL Vet Combine