Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
99,341 - 99,360 of 130,314 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
How stupid can you be

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, patently false. Without medical attention most fetuses never live, even with medical attention many do not live anyway.
I like how you use the words "patently false" without looking at you own statements!
I know... you just cannot help yourself!
How stupid can you be

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you denied what I stated, which again was: Without medical assistance most fetuses are not born alive.
Bull Stuffing!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It has never been relevant to my life, so I haven't asked.
It seems to be quite the issue with you. You have been arguing about it for a few days now.
Fact is, we think this, asking the holy ghost thing is a metaphor for thinking, and you do not actually hear any being that gives information. Either you have the knowledge or you do not.
You prove us correct with diversions such as this.
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Net time you speak to the Doc ask him One Question.... Doc, What Specifically Defines Life?..
He would be able to win the Noble Prize if he can answer that question....
The Point being that Science has no idea what the Specific Definition of Life is... Is a Virus that can only replicate with the inclusion of a host DNA alive? Is the sub set of the simplest life form we know that cannot replicate without it's symbiotic components alive? Since you as a Human Being would die instantly if the 2 pounds of bugs in your body were eliminated, being that there are 10 bugs for each Human Cell in your body, Are You Alive or are you just a Vessel for the Bugs..... Is a Crystal that absorbs surrounding material and uses those compounds to grow and produce offspring Alive?.... Id the Life as we know it here on Earth the Only Possible form of life that could exist?
Nothing in you response addresses the issues raised by the good doctor. Are they or are they not valid?

Or,are we back to the well established fact,
"The Point being that Science has no idea what the Specific Definition of Life is" nor how life was created or came into being
It is on that foundation,of not knowing,that Science and Evolution form theories based on events that they claim might have occured billions of years ago,under unexplainable circumstances,which has led to life as we know it.
The chicken/egg question went a long way in dispelling Evolution.
It is unbelievable,we are criticixed for reading the Bible,as our source of information.
They read rocks and old bones,

Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

So true wrote:
<quoted text> once again so many look with the eyes and not the heart..
None are so blind, as those that refuse to see!
Amen!
Great day to you :-)
Yes and Amen

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

So true wrote:
Happy weekend all..
You too :-)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
And imagine that, none of them purposely abort their pregnancies.
Due to their lack of knowledge. Some animals will eat their own babies.
Seeing as how humans are on top of the food chain, we rarely get eaten anymore, so our numbers have grown exponentially.
Societies that overpopulate and cannot feed this population suffer greatly.
Some churches have compounded this problem by deterring birth control in those famine areas.
Do you also oppose birth control?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
In your first argument you are treating the symptom instead of the root cause.
Instead of spending the money on women's rights to abort children, and instead of clinics making money by aborting children, spend that money and effort into preventing unwanted pregnancies, and then you are treating the root cause.
On your second argument, early or late term should make no bearing on the decision of when this cessation of life is morally acceptable. If you have to try to define "reasonably acceptable" then you are trying to make yourself feel better about ending the life of a child.
And when you promote ideas that cause the born children to suffer due to overpopulation, you turn to your absolute stance in order to make yourself feel better.

Some situations in this world have no absolute, right or wrong answers.
But religion feels it has absolute answers, and no discussion can be had to evaluate that answer. Thus often religion does bad things for a long time, while they think they are doing good. Example, Deuteronomy 13.

This is a systematic problem with religion. This is one of the many reasons I oppose the idea of religion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Good, because that kind of thing is really NONE of the governments business.
Exactly, yet most tea party members contradict themselves on government here. Take Q for example.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. But this isn't a cut-n-dry issue. It is messy as hell. And you gotta start talking somewhere.
I agree. What could lead to less abortions? Pushing for adoptions. Churches should not condemn people for putting a baby up for adoption, nor should anyone, yet they do.
Also the stigma society puts on the young for being pregnant is large. So many abort just to hide the fact they had sex.

Maybe if a church member is looking to adopt a child, they should let it be know amongst the whole congregation and plead for anyone who gets pregnant and is not ready to raise a child to offer adoption.
If a kid does not see other solutions clearly, they will likely opt for the easy out of abortion. Just telling them adoption is an option is not enough. You must make it easy for them and stop making them feel guilty.
Kids will have sex, it is a matter of biology. Offer solutions, and do not stigmatize.

Also, pushing for abstinence only and not teaching birth control is a large problem the churches fail on consistently.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you like a squeaky chew toy to slobber on while you search?
Interesting how the believer has the most nasty posts here.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
In your first argument you are treating the symptom instead of the root cause.
Instead of spending the money on women's rights to abort children, and instead of clinics making money by aborting children, spend that money and effort into preventing unwanted pregnancies, and then you are treating the root cause.
On your second argument, early or late term should make no bearing on the decision of when this cessation of life is morally acceptable. If you have to try to define "reasonably acceptable" then you are trying to make yourself feel better about ending the life of a child.
A lot of money does go to prevent pregnancies. Why do Christian churches often oppose this funding? Why do churches often oppose the birth control efforts?
Your team fights this effort all the time. So get your own house in order.
Churches often have a lot of money to spend. When you guys start promoting birth control, we will accept you are on the side of reducing abortions. Until then, you are just talk.

I once read a statistic that abortions reduce when democrats are in power. Not sure how true this claim is, but it does stand to reason. Democrats fund birth control measures where as republicans underfund them. Democrats fund the teaching of sex education, thus teaching birth control, where as republicans fight against this.

You oppose funding of abortion clinics, but these are for many of the people who cannot afford to raise children. And it does not help that republicans do not wish to help these people financially.
This is another reason abortions likely reduce when democrats have more power in government.

Their is more than one way to reduce the amount of abortions. Calling it murder or sin is but one way and I do not think it is very effective overall.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>When you look at the aggregate data on fetal development it seems that the ability to sense pain forms around 26 weeks. The number varies according to which researcher you are reading. Most put it between 24-29, but some say 18-28.

Prior to this time period there is NO pain for the fetus.

Also, there is no awareness in this time period. It isn't even clear when awareness actually begins. It certainly isn't prior to this time period. Without awareness it is hard to imagine that pain has any meaning at all. If your brain was in a state of complete unconsciousness without the ability to wake up and I stuck you with a needle would you feel it?

It does get us into all sorts of moral/ethical questions. It is a messy, messy topic.

I go with the science for my facts and I base my morals on the idea of well being. The mother is already an invested human being. Her rights are paramount. If she wants to end her pregnancy and if it reasonable to say that her fetus is incapable of feeling pain or being aware then abortion presents no dilemma. And since reproductive rights are a proven way to increase general well being I say it is a moral good to allow it.

It is rare for abortions to be done past this time period anyway. The vast majority of them are done very early. An abortion done within the first three months should be no problem for any rational person. Unless you believe in magic, in which case you are possibly a nutter.
So you make yourself feel better about ending this life by saying it can't feel any pain?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Bull Stuffing!
I like how you use the words "patently false" without looking at you own statements!
I know... you just cannot help yourself!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing in you response addresses the issues.......
Frustrating, isn't it? Do unto others.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>It seems to be quite the issue with you. You have been arguing about it for a few days now.
Fact is, we think this, asking the holy ghost thing is a metaphor for thinking, and you do not actually hear any being that gives information. Either you have the knowledge or you do not.
You prove us correct with diversions such as this.
I am trying to leave religion out of this. We aren't talking about when the soul enters the body or anything like that. We are talking about the development of a child and the choice to end that life.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So you make yourself feel better about ending this life by saying it can't feel any pain?
Are you saying, we should not listen to our feelings?
Do you feel bad when kids are suffering due to overpopulation?
Our conscience is what drives our morality. Condemn that at your peril.
Christians burned people alive at the stake for the harmless crime of unbelief. Likely the most painful way to die. What blinded their conscience?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Due to their lack of knowledge. Some animals will eat their own babies.
Seeing as how humans are on top of the food chain, we rarely get eaten anymore, so our numbers have grown exponentially.
Societies that overpopulate and cannot feed this population suffer greatly.
Some churches have compounded this problem by deterring birth control in those famine areas.
Do you also oppose birth control?
Correct some animals eat their children. That is one thing that sets them apart as animals. But even savage animals do not abort their pregnancies.

I'm sure you see the 50 million abortions that happened between 1973 and 2008 as a good thing due to overpopulation. To me that is sick.
Would you also approve of the government restricting number of children a family can have?

No I do not oppose birth control as long as it prevents a fertilized egg. If it destroys a fertilized egg after conception, I oppose it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And when you promote ideas that cause the born children to suffer due to overpopulation, you turn to your absolute stance in order to make yourself feel better.

Some situations in this world have no absolute, right or wrong answers.
But religion feels it has absolute answers, and no discussion can be had to evaluate that answer. Thus often religion does bad things for a long time, while they think they are doing good. Example, Deuteronomy 13.

This is a systematic problem with religion. This is one of the many reasons I oppose the idea of religion.
Again, I have not mentioned religion on the topic of abortion

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing in you response addresses the issues raised by the good doctor. Are they or are they not valid?
Or,are we back to the well established fact,
"The Point being that Science has no idea what the Specific Definition of Life is" nor how life was created or came into being
It is on that foundation,of not knowing,that Science and Evolution form theories based on events that they claim might have occured billions of years ago,under unexplainable circumstances,which has led to life as we know it.
The chicken/egg question went a long way in dispelling Evolution.
It is unbelievable,we are criticixed for reading the Bible,as our source of information.
They read rocks and old bones,
The foundation of science is observation, data collection, theory, criticism/review, and revision.

The foundation of science is NOT "not knowing".

And you should not assume "unexplainable circumstances". If it is natural, we can study it.

You need to look into theories of abiogenesis. Look at RNA world, for example. Look at thermal vents as a constant source of energy. MUCH work has been done in this field. Your characterization of this as being founded on "not knowing" is pure ignorance on your part. And laziness. Hell, ten minutes of honest research should *at least* make you acknowledge that this is a robust fiend of study.

Stop being a dumb Creationist kook and learn something. Your repeated logical fallacies are tiring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/

http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_world_hypoth...

http://exploringorigins.org/rnaworld.html

http://www.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise_chem/Exo...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 33 min Jay 150,267
Charmaine 1 hr wow 4
Churches 1 hr Neighbor 6
Need Prayer 2 hr Neighbor 3
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 2 hr well 16,127
D Boone Days 6 hr hey 4
Tiffany foley 6 hr Just saying 1

Search the Barbourville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search