Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,050

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#103612 May 15, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe that's why Alligator and Frog taste like chicken?
I know... right?
I swore I was cheated in GA....
$6.00 for a small amount of it, I could have bought a bucket of chicken for $2.00 more!
LOL
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#103613 May 15, 2013
I've got to go, and put some of God's Love
in the form of Mators in the Ground!
God is Good!
Back later to play catch up!
LOL
You all have a Great day!
ProvenScience

London, KY

#103614 May 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you inferring that because there were real meeting places among the early catholic communities, the events compiled about Jesus (and probably an overwhelming majority of the OT) are indelibly accurate - just as surely as young George chopped down the cherry tree and threw a silver dollar across the Potomac?
Your point that the world does and has been comprised of countless myriads of both diverse and related cultures and subcultures is duly noted - and is far more likely to be discounted by the average congregation member than by those you choose to debate and deride here.
Thank you for reiterating the exact point lol.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#103615 May 15, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say Spider-Man disproves the Bible. I said the fact that the Bible has real places names does not prove it's stories are true.
You hear people make the claim all the time. Oh, they dug up some city in the desert that is mentioned in Julio 2:15.
Who cares? Did they dig up a god too? Because that would be impressive.
Oooooo ahhhhhhh ...(I don't care what you DON'T think-stuff like this is STILL cool!!!!)

JERUSALEM, Israel -- Every year Israeli archaeologists dig up more artifacts which shed new light on Bible times. A museum that houses many of those ancient objects has been re-opened to the public.

The Israel Museum in Jerusalem first opened its doors in 1965. Now after three years of renovations, the museum is re-opening its unique treasure of archaeological artifacts, Judaica and fine art to the public.

"We're kind of a crossroads in the world," said James Snyder, the museum's director. "And certainly in ancient times this was so. But even after the western world entered the picture, somehow Jerusalem sits at the center of the universe. So ideally you could create an encyclopedic museum."

Snyder said the museum is the largest, most active museum in Israel's region of the world.

"What we have here in the end indeed is a really rich and strong universal collection of 500,000 objects beginning a million and half years ago and coming to contemporary art today," Snyder added.

Thousands of artifacts on display in the museum help to bring biblical times to life.

"The archaeology wing has a story to tell that you can't get anywhere else in the world," said Michal Dayagi-Mendels, chief curator of archaeology.

The wing focuses on story of the land of Israel through a narrative about man in the country - how he lived, whom he worshipped, and even how he was buried.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#103616 May 15, 2013
ct

JERUSALEM, Israel -- Every year Israeli archaeologists dig up more artifacts which shed new light on Bible times. A museum that houses many of those ancient objects has been re-opened to the public.

The Israel Museum in Jerusalem first opened its doors in 1965. Now after three years of renovations, the museum is re-opening its unique treasure of archaeological artifacts, Judaica and fine art to the public.

"We're kind of a crossroads in the world," said James Snyder, the museum's director. "And certainly in ancient times this was so. But even after the western world entered the picture, somehow Jerusalem sits at the center of the universe. So ideally you could create an encyclopedic museum."

Snyder said the museum is the largest, most active museum in Israel's region of the world.

"What we have here in the end indeed is a really rich and strong universal collection of 500,000 objects beginning a million and half years ago and coming to contemporary art today," Snyder added.

Thousands of artifacts on display in the museum help to bring biblical times to life.

"The archaeology wing has a story to tell that you can't get anywhere else in the world," said Michal Dayagi-Mendels, chief curator of archaeology.

The wing focuses on story of the land of Israel through a narrative about man in the country - how he lived, whom he worshipped, and even how he was buried.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#103617 May 15, 2013
"We are trying to emphasize the story of the Bible - the birth of monotheism, the first and second temple periods and the emergence of the three monotheistic religions that you can see in one gallery," Dayagi-Mendels added.

An inscription from the 9th century B.C. is the earliest of archaeological evidence of the dynasty of King David.

Two shrines from the about the 7th to 8th century B.C. were discovered about 30 miles apart. They show the struggle that existed between belief in the one God of the Bible and pagan idol worship at the time.

"We learned a lot about the living from the burials," Dayagi-Mendels continued.

Archaeologists found two silver amulets inside one burial chamber. They both bear verses from the Book of Numbers -- the earliest biblical verses ever found, dating to about 600 B.C. predating the Dead Sea scrolls by 400 years.

Also on display for the first time is a huge crusader period fresco discovered near Gethsemane.

"It's very exciting to have archaeology and make it so clear, so fascinating that for all those thought in the past see something we cannot come close to they will be absorbed into it," Dayagi-Mendels said.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#103618 May 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I think the bible does have its merits. It teaches us the superstition of the ancients. Sadly, some think it is non fiction.
and DON'T be touching the artifacts!!!!!!!!!!
ProvenScience

London, KY

#103619 May 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>No.
Why?

:-p
ProvenScience

London, KY

#103620 May 15, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
New York is a real place, so based on your assertions, you have to believe Spiderman is real.
Wrong. That chits for the underdeveloped, wanna be entertained by fantasy just for the sake of entertainment, peabrainish level stuff crowds.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#103621 May 15, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for reiterating the exact point lol.
I understood your point, but not where you were intending to go with it.
kuda

Cincinnati, OH

#103622 May 15, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
I've got to go, and put some of God's Love
in the form of Mators in the Ground!
God is Good!
Back later to play catch up!
LOL
You all have a Great day!
Donít forget to plant them taters too. We just bought a tater on eBay that looks just like one of those snapshots you see of Jesus.
NotasstupidasYou

Somerset, KY

#103623 May 15, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Catholic?
Are there people of other faiths that have been saved?
I have no doubt!
Did Paul shut up in Acts? NO!
So please provide the verse, or verses that says I should shut up, and then we both can get off topix!
I personally think there are people of ALL faiths worthy of "salvation"..INCLUDI NG Catholics.

and no one told any one to shut up, I merely stated the same statement as above, just with different words, to YaA, for acting like Catholics can't hear or something.

Dolt.

REv 7:6
And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel. 5O of the tribe of Juda were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand. 6Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nephthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses were sealed twelve thousand.

Are YOU stuck on topix? Do you need help on how to step away from it's dribble? It's not really that difficult....
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103624 May 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was that? Please enlighten, as actually I had no actual "further pathway intentions of going anywhere with it" planned out.

Ummmm me thinks you are perhaps a bit too cynical-that not ALL the world sits in plot and plan deception, and low-life-CON mode(s), that SOME of us find that very type of thing to be of the utmost nature of VILEness and CONtemptability, equatable to those having no ethics OR true decency per say?

Or is that just your own junk pointing back at ya? lol
Lol

Cicero, IN

#103625 May 15, 2013
Humm.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103626 May 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you following me around, clicking on the little cartoony buttons, like some psycho-nutcase stalker? Is that yewwww?

That's some truly sicko stuff now!!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#103627 May 15, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. That chits for the underdeveloped, wanna be entertained by fantasy just for the sake of entertainment, peabrainish level stuff crowds.
I've never had a fascination for the history of the Semitic tribes and the "Holy Lands," why should I cultivate one? Clearly you were enamored with the Naked Archaeologist series. I am not in the least bit intrigued. As you have pointed out, there are countless other cultures and far more than enough troves of other histories to entertain myself with, should I so choose to be entertained.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103628 May 15, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>So... taking the 10 commandments, and re-writing them, changing the Sabbath to Sunday is the original texts?
Look!
Do you Believe Jesus died on the Cross one time, for all sins,
past, and future, that you do not have to do anything, but Love the Lord, your neighbor, and your enemies, and Trust in Jesus???
Or does mass, and calling a man "Father" negate Christ's teachings?
YaA as far as all that's concerned, I think you are (not) looking at the bigger picture of it all, close enough.

Catholics believe in Jesus, the cross, the golden rule and faith.

Look a few things up before you run your clueless pie hole and just ASSUME you know what you're talking about-because honestly, you are sounding like you have no idea.

Look up Homily, Stations of the Cross, Lent blahblahblah.

The traditions of culture and custom, will all boil back down to the SAME belief, ulitmetely.

Just because someone brushes their teeth with a different type toothbrush than you, doesn't mean they don't believe in toothbrushes.

And just because you might not SEE one sitting in the specific pew-brushholder where YOU think it should be sitting, doesn't mean it doesn't exist...as pewbrushholders aren't what actually matters anyway.

Maybe I prefer to keep my pewbrushholder rituals private, because I really don't care about just "impressing" others for the sake of just that, because as many of us know, just sitting in a pewbrushholder regulary, does not make a toothpick, a toothbrush.

MMM k?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103629 May 15, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If the Bible is about the spiritual "world" and science cannot comment on it, then why are you concerned with science at all? Let science do what it does best: explain nature. And you can have your Bible to help you with the emotional and spiritual stuff.
Easy peasy.
Also, we do not "know" that the universe was "created". By using the word "created" you are infering an intelligence. You're using a simple form of the Cosmological Argument, which, as most philosophers will tell you, is a load of bollocks.
As I said to you or someone else on here, how does your argument get you to the God of the Bible? Even if we grant that you are correct (for the sake of argument, mind you) it ONLY gets you to the point of stating that the universe was created.
That says absolutely nothing about what did it. It could have been cosmic hamsters or Zeus or me.
What is your line that connects this flimsy argument to your own personal deity?
And why is it so important for you to prove God by logic and reason? If it wasn't important we wouldn't be having a conversation. Yet faith is about faith, not evidence, right?
The need to be correct normally indicates the possibility of being wrong. I seek truth because I know I could be wrong. I want to find the best path to truth. But if you truly have faith then you don't need to do that, right?
Either the Universe was created by a Superior Intelligence or it came into existence,from nothing,by nothing.
If it came into existence from nothing,caused by nothing and from there we end up with the Universe as we currently know it.
Our planet and the life contained therein,all as a result of Nothing taking control and effectively bringing into existence this awesome universe and magnificent planet we live in.
Then I would have to proclaim,The wonders of nothingness are wonderful to behold

YOU ask "Yet faith is about faith, not evidence, right?"

Says I...You are wrong,but that is the propaganda that Atheists
promote"blind faith"
My faith demands evidence and that evidence has been more that amply supplied to my satisfaction,by GOD
You are unable to accept or understand the evidence that God has provided me and therefore you arbitrarily dismiss it as false.
You can call it magic,delusions,waving a magic wand,coincidences
What you are unable to do is,disprove it..
You can not believe,but neither can you disprove the evidence,your attempts are futile,therefore your frustration

“See how you are?”

Earth

#103630 May 15, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was that? Please enlighten, as actually I had no actual "further pathway intentions of going anywhere with it" planned out.
Ummmm me thinks you are perhaps a bit too cynical-that not ALL the world sits in plot and plan deception, and low-life-CON mode(s), that SOME of us find that very type of thing to be of the utmost nature of VILEness and CONtemptability, equatable to those having no ethics OR true decency per say?
Or is that just your own junk pointing back at ya? lol
WTH are you babbling about now? Are you posting just to watch yourself type? I asked a reasonable question about WHY you placed a list of archaeological sites and a quote from a museum spokesman.
Stalking you with judgits icons? no.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103631 May 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never had a fascination for the history of the Semitic tribes and the "Holy Lands," why should I cultivate one? Clearly you were enamored with the Naked Archaeologist series. I am not in the least bit intrigued. As you have pointed out, there are countless other cultures and far more than enough troves of other histories to entertain myself with, should I so choose to be entertained.
What ever floats your cultural boat. Yes, I did find that series to be one of the better presented ones of it's types (hmmm...wonder why..)

Anyway, care to share what cultures you may find "oooo ahhhh" interesting?

And be forewarned, you can skip the knotholes in carved rocks ones, they'll only get an eyeroll here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min No Surprize 153,773
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 10 min eer 5,213
frances karr smith 30 min wonder 4
Knox parent goes off at Bell and Knox football ... 46 min pitiful 3
L.Dean/ In town 1 hr For Fun 2
this is the year!!! panther fans 1 hr sculptor of minds 6
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Princess412 81,638
Just hearing 3 hr traci 5
A Rat In Knox County 3 hr True Anon 10
What happened at Stinking Creek? 4 hr steve 90
Barbourville high school salaries WOW Thu John boy 21
•••
•••