Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 130,992

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#103447 May 13, 2013
Big Ein wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,
Read genesis in the King James Version bible
Enough said! This is your god as well, though you may not acknowledge it, at this time, and I encourage you to read it my friend
Wow. So in order for me believe in the Bible I have to believe in the Bible. Nice and circular.

I thought we could have a conversation but if this is your level of argumentation I have much, MUCH better things to do.

Location hidden

#103448 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
If you understand how ancient interpreters worked,and agree with their views,then,in my view,not only were they wrong .but so are you.
I have seen many misinterpretations posted right here
When I have taken the time to correct them,no one has been able to contradict me,other than,I don't believe the Bible...
Their hypocricy is made plain,when,by quoting Scriptures out of context,they believe that Scripture is accurate based on their interpretation.
So,they BELIEVE the Bible,when it is convenient..
I'm not sure I follow you here. I didn't say I agreed with ancient interpretation. I certainly DO NOT. It is nuts. I just find it interesting and it helps me understand how modern Christians think.

Part of the frustration of arguing with someone like you is that you cannot be argued with. You have faith and you are basically defending your faith, regardless of what reality has to say about it.

For example, that claptrap you posted about Leviticus and germs. It says nothing about germs. It talks about a man having "discharge". It even maintains that, after washing, you are still unclean until sunset.

If it was scientific it would tell you that washing in water is not enough to kill the germs. And it would make no mention of sunset.

The fact that ancient peoples knew to keep away from sick folks, and knew that it would be a good idea to bath after touching them, is just logical. There is NOTHING in Leviticus or any other Bible book that wasn't known to the people of the time. And there is plenty that we know now that the Bible doesn't mention.

Location hidden

#103449 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
What Science is not able to explain is the process that made us into living intelligent beings,created out of unintelligent unliving matter.
It is from that foundation,on not knowing the answers to these questions,that they proceed to explain to us ,how this process might have taken place.
Therefore,when your foundation is based on stating that you do not have the answer to these questions,but may possibly have them some day,invalidates any conclusions you may arrive at.
If the foundation is built on sand,the house will come down.
Why do you think science is "unable" to explain these things? There is a huge difference between "unable" and "hasn't yet". I mean, how long did it take us to figure out genetics? Prior to that we didn't really know how evolution worked to make change over time. We knew that it did, and we knew quite a bit about how, but genetics gave us a very important window into that process that made the theory even more satisfying than before.

So why do you think that this question of the beginning of life cannot be answered scientifically? Is there some kind of brick wall blocking science from finding it? If so, what is it? If not, isn't it just a matter of time?

Now the rest of this is strange. Nobody is saying that we know how life began and then making all kinds of arguments about other things from that hypothesis. Instead, we know that everything happens by natural causes. The start of life should be no different. Unless you can point to some reason why the start of life cannot possibly be a natural event, what exactly is your problem?

And if you mention Genesis I'll punch a baby seal in the face because the stupid will have broken this camel's back.

Stick to reality for this one, please.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103451 May 13, 2013
kuda wrote:
<quoted text>
You’d be welcome to join us in Sunday worship with Mrs. Bowers at Landover Baptist, God’s favorite church:
http://landoverbaptist.org
Hack a Mormon server did ya?

Shame....shame on you!
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103452 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)Au contraire, idiot.
I,also,am able to express myself,in other languages
porta fa ende radeskatzu dum aff eurnynoobebrha,uglupich malpa,orokana saru
2) I believe that he was a believer.
What do you believe,he believed in...He ain't told me
4) I have no reason to doubt what he says.
I have no reason to doubt it either,I just do not understand it
5)You, on the other hand..
Have 4 fingers and a thumb
Please run a virus (worm) check on any computers/equipment you are running.

This message has been brought to you by a not-for-profit ethical soul for ethical treatment of others.

###
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103453 May 13, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
I could be standing in front of you, praying away, and you couldn't say jack about it, you meanarse schitt.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103454 May 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
Some here do not value their reputation enough to register on topix.
You cannot even be serious.
It's a gutterpipe of the internet for goodness sake.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103455 May 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So because most NOW know that Zeus and Thor are myths, they cannot be used as an example? This makes absolutely no logical sense. The entire point is, they are now known to be myths, but once were not, just as you claim god is not a myth.
And I understand why Christians feel they need not follow the instructions god commanded in the OT, due to the claimed deity Jesus overriding the old gods commands.
But this just makes the story look all the more contradictory.
If it is stupid now, it was stupid then. Animal sacrifices were never logical and always stupid. Yet your holy book sure makes them sound serious.
I see you refuse to get my point on following the bibles way to faith. I am getting tired of trying to explain it. I understand if you object to my reasoning, but you have yet to show you understand my reasoning.
1)So because most NOW know that Zeus and Thor are myths, they cannot be used as an example? This makes absolutely no logical sense. The entire point is, they are now known to be myths, but once were not, just as you claim god is not a myth.

That is not difficult to answer,I know,as do you,that Thor and Zeus are a myth
You think that God and Christ are a myth
What you may think and what I believe are totally different
God and Christ have provided me with more that enough evidence for me to believe in them,therefore to ME,it is not a myth,it is reality

2) And I understand why Christians feel they need not follow the instructions god commanded in the OT, due to the claimed deity Jesus overriding the old gods commands.
If it is stupid now, it was stupid then. Animal sacrifices were never logical and always stupid. Yet your holy book sure makes them sound serious..

Those are your opinions and nothing I say,whether it be my opinion or based on Scripture is going to change your mind.
To tell you the truth,animal sacrifices in the Old Testament ,have never been of much interest to me.
I have an understanding of why they had to be and that is all I need,since I did not live in those times.
I am concerned about what is required of me now,therefore,I tend to pay more attention to the New Testament..
I do refer to the Old Testament as needed.

3) I see you refuse to get my point on following the bibles way to faith. I am getting tired of trying to explain it. I understand if you object to my reasoning, but you have yet to show you understand my reasoning.

I would not say that I have refused to get your point on following the bibles way to faith.
I believe the point I always made was that, If you or whoever,has not followed the Bibles instructions on how one may come to know God , instructions that I and many Christians follow, then they are unqualified to pass judgement on the results we have obtained by following those instructions
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103456 May 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I did, so evidently you are skipping some of my posts. I stated it twice now. How many times must I state it for you to read it?
In fact, I state reasons I do not believe anymore with most every post.
I followed the religion of my parents, just as most people do. I thought I felt what you call the holy ghost also, but I now understand what causes feelings when you think about things. When I was a kid, I had no idea what caused emotional feelings when I thought about stuff. I am a grown up now.
I understand that when I think about stuff, I get emotional reactions to what I think about.
Is this some mystery to you?
Voices in your head are called thoughts. Grown ups should know this.
Now maybe if I am a smart ass about this, you will remember it this time.
1)Yes I did, so evidently you are skipping some of my posts. I stated it twice now. How many times must I state it for you to read it?
In fact, I state reasons I do not believe anymore with most every post.

You do not have to post it anymore for my sake. You have cleared that up.

2 )I followed the religion of my parents, just as most people do. I thought I felt what you call the holy ghost also, but I now understand what causes feelings when you think about things.

You talk about how you thought you felt the Holy ghost,but now you understand what causes feelings when you think about things.
.That is the basis on which you lost faith in God. Am I going to say you were wrong in losing your faith, NO
The reason I can't,is because I have not experienced what you have,therefore,I am unable to judge that which I have not experienced or have been tested on.
But I never said that my faith was based on my feelings or based on the religion of my parents .
I have made very clear the basis for my faith and those 2 reasons are never mentioned

3)When I was a kid, I had no idea what caused emotional feelings when I thought about stuff. I am a grown up now.
I understand that when I think about stuff, I get emotional reactions to what I think about.
Is this some mystery to you?
Voices in your head are called thoughts. Grown ups should know this.

Now maybe if I am a smart ass about this, you will remember it this time

The basis for your unbelief,if I understand you correctly,is based on your feelings,and that you now understand " that when I think about stuff, I get emotional reactions to what I think about."
"When I was a kid, I had no idea what caused emotional feelings when I thought about stuff. I am a grown up now."

I think I understand what you mean ,but,your reasons for your unbelief are totally different from the reasons for my faith,so any comparison between the 2,I think you would agree, is not valid .
I did not FEEL my prayers were answered, based on the results,I knew my prayers were answered.
I know whom I prayed to and he answered as promised
Now,someone who does not believe in God has to try and rationalize the results by attributing them to coincidences,or try to claim they never happened,that my mind deceived me into believing it happened,when it really didn't. Thereby ,I am judged to be delusional.
But,in reality,who is the delusional one?
One could rightfully claim that those who have never experienced those events, and don't understand what caused them to occur,have deluded themselves into believing they can explain something they truly,know nothing about.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103457 May 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Not being able to prove something in an absolute sense is not the same as backing up a claim. I backed up my claim with reason, logic and the known history of human perception.
You back up your claims with claims of hearing voices and getting magical reactions to prayers.
Can you not see the massive difference?
1)Not being able to prove something in an absolute sense is not the same as backing up a claim. I backed up my claim with reason, logic and the known history of human perception.

You posted a lot of opinions,unsubstantiated by any facts.
You assumed,you stated you could not prove, and
"that I am experiencing exactly WHAT ALL BELIEVERS of most all Gods do",,,,that is an opinion,for which you provided no evidence,other than based on your emotions

2)You back up your claims with claims of hearing voices and getting magical reactions to prayers.
Can you not see the massive difference?

Let me tell you what I see. I see someone who is incapable of understanding what God can do in one's life,if you allow him to.
Not able to understand that, they permit their emotions to try and interpret what they can not understand.
So to them,an answer to prayer is hearing voices and to be attributed to magic.
And if that is what you want to believe,that's fine.
Does it,in any way,negate what I know to be true....NOOOO
yes,I can see a massive difference.... I just explained it to you
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103458 May 13, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure I follow you here. I didn't say I agreed with ancient interpretation. I certainly DO NOT. It is nuts. I just find it interesting and it helps me understand how modern Christians think.
Part of the frustration of arguing with someone like you is that you cannot be argued with. You have faith and you are basically defending your faith, regardless of what reality has to say about it.
For example, that claptrap you posted about Leviticus and germs. It says nothing about germs. It talks about a man having "discharge". It even maintains that, after washing, you are still unclean until sunset.
If it was scientific it would tell you that washing in water is not enough to kill the germs. And it would make no mention of sunset.
The fact that ancient peoples knew to keep away from sick folks, and knew that it would be a good idea to bath after touching them, is just logical. There is NOTHING in Leviticus or any other Bible book that wasn't known to the people of the time. And there is plenty that we know now that the Bible doesn't mention.
Well,That is your opinion,that you failed to understand what you read,is not my problem...I need say no more
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103459 May 13, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think science is "unable" to explain these things? There is a huge difference between "unable" and "hasn't yet". I mean, how long did it take us to figure out genetics? Prior to that we didn't really know how evolution worked to make change over time. We knew that it did, and we knew quite a bit about how, but genetics gave us a very important window into that process that made the theory even more satisfying than before.
So why do you think that this question of the beginning of life cannot be answered scientifically? Is there some kind of brick wall blocking science from finding it? If so, what is it? If not, isn't it just a matter of time?
Now the rest of this is strange. Nobody is saying that we know how life began and then making all kinds of arguments about other things from that hypothesis. Instead, we know that everything happens by natural causes. The start of life should be no different. Unless you can point to some reason why the start of life cannot possibly be a natural event, what exactly is your problem?
And if you mention Genesis I'll punch a baby seal in the face because the stupid will have broken this camel's back.
Stick to reality for this one, please.
I don't much feel like debating evolution.Even if I did not believe in God,I would not buy it...

Science can be wrong and science can prove it Read the following

Now British scientists claim to have finally come up with the definitive answer: The CHICKEN

The scientific and philosophical mystery was purportedly unraveled by researchers at Sheffield and Warwick universities, according to the Daily Mail newspaper.

The scientists found that a protein found only in a chicken's ovaries is necessary for the formation of the egg, according to the paper Wednesday. The egg can therefore only exist if it has been created inside a chicken.

The protein speeds up the development of the hard shell, which is essential in protecting the delicate yolk and fluids while the chick grows inside the egg, the report said.

"It had long been suspected that the egg came first but now we have the scientific proof that shows that in fact the chicken came first," said Dr. Colin Freeman, from Sheffield University's Department of Engineering Materials, according to the Mail.

"The protein had been identified before and it was linked to egg formation, but by examining it closely we have been able to see how it controls the process," he said.

I found this part very interesting
The scientists found that a protein found only in a chicken's ovaries is necessary for the formation of the egg, according to the paper Wednesday. The egg can therefore only exist if it has been created inside a chicken.

If the egg can only exist if it has been created inside a chicken,then where did the chicken come from,and from whence,their ability to create eggs,so there would be a continuation of the species....
That can be explained if;
He who created the chicken,provided said chicken with the ability to reproduce itself and knowing this,confidently informed it to go forth and reproduce after it's kind.
Otherwise,we can try and explain it by citing some unexplainable
events that may or may not have happened billions of years ago,which no one observed,nor can they duplicate.....

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#103460 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
This essential ingredient in the formation of the egg can only be produced inside a chicken, SCIENTISTS from universities in Sheffield and Warwick concluded.
So now you are saying reptiles and amphibians do not lay eggs.
LEGIONS

Elkhorn City, KY

#103461 May 13, 2013
Noah Webster
Founding Educator

The most perfect maxims and examples for regulating your social conduct and domestic economy, as well as the best rules of morality and religion, are to be found in the Bible.... The moral principles and precepts found in the scriptures ought to form the basis of all our civil constitutions and laws. These principles and precepts have truth, immutable truth, for their foundation.... All the evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible.... For instruction then in social, religious and civil duties resort to the scriptures for the best precepts.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#103462 May 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So because most NOW know that Zeus and Thor are myths, they cannot be used as an example? This makes absolutely no logical sense. The entire point is, they are now known to be myths, but once were not, just as you claim god is not a myth.

And I understand why Christians feel they need not follow the instructions god commanded in the OT, due to the claimed deity Jesus overriding the old gods commands.
If it is stupid now, it was stupid then. Animal sacrifices were never logical and always stupid. Yet your holy book sure makes them sound serious.

I see you refuse to get my point on following the bibles way to faith. I am getting tired of trying to explain it. I understand if you object to my reasoning, but you have yet to show you understand my reasoning.
Animal sacrifice was in similitude of what would happen in the future. God would sacrifice His Son for the sins of all. So people would empathize with this sacrifice, animal sacrifice was initiated. Once the messiah was sacrificed for all sin (the atonement and crucifixion of Christ), the law of sacrifice was fulfilled and there was no longer a need. The higher law and priesthood was restored to the earth. The only reason it was taken away was because people became too wicked to love by it.
It was lost again after the death of the apostles, but has again been restored. And by the prophecies of Revelations, it will not be taken from the earth again.

Location hidden

#103463 May 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Shouldn't I wonder if you have thought about it, as you and your friends here do not seem to act as if it is logical that this could all be made up?
I get you somehow skip past the arguments we make, but it seems strange that you cannot understand why we do not believe. We have shown valid, logical, and reasonable reasons we do not believe your story.
So what seems even more strange is, your god is claimed not to be able to accept our disputes and reasons.
I do not think you are being reasonable, and I do not think your god is being reasonable. You can write on topix, so I think you are real, but your god cannot even write, so I do not believe the god exists.
Sorry you and your god are so unreasonable.
Maybe invent a reasonable god?
I can certainly understand why you do not believe. You want proof, or scientific evidence. Sorry, but I will remind you again that one of the reasons we are here is to test our faith, so you won't get these. God made the rules, sorry if you don't find them "reasonable". He has explained how to find Him. And He has admonished those that have had contact with Him, to share with others. And He has given us all the comforter to show us the truth in all things.

Location hidden

#103464 May 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know why the Deuteronomy law is not Americas law? Because it is an unjust law. It was always an unjust law. It will always be an unjust law.
The Muslims still live by that law, and even you condemn them for it. Amazing you cannot see your whopping contradiction. They just follow their blind faith and listen to the inaudible still small voices in their head and believe it is a god.

God is not the law giver, secularism rules, thank god(ironically).
Hence the importance of Jesus Christ. Muslims do not recognize Him as the messiah, therefore the law has not been fulfilled to them.
chicken plucker

Monticello, KY

#103465 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't much feel like debating evolution.Even if I did not believe in God,I would not buy it...
Science can be wrong and science can prove it Read the following
Now British scientists claim to have finally come up with the definitive answer: The CHICKEN
The scientific and philosophical mystery was purportedly unraveled by researchers at Sheffield and Warwick universities, according to the Daily Mail newspaper.
The protein speeds up the development of the hard shell, which is essential in protecting the delicate yolk and fluids while the chick grows inside the egg, the report said.
"It had long been suspected that the egg came first but now we have the scientific proof that shows that in fact the chicken came first," said Dr. Colin Freeman, from Sheffield University's Department of Engineering Materials, according to the Mail.
"The protein had been identified before and it was linked to egg formation, but by examining it closely we have been able to see how it controls the process," he said.
I found this part very interesting
If the egg can only exist if it has been created inside a chicken,then where did the chicken come from,and from whence,their ability to create eggs,so there would be a continuation of the species....
That can be explained if;
He who created the chicken,provided said chicken with the ability to reproduce itself and knowing this,confidently informed it to go forth and reproduce after it's kind.
Otherwise,we can try and explain it by citing some unexplainable
events that may or may not have happened billions of years ago,which no one observed,nor can they duplicate.....
Exactly right! The Bible already told us the answer. God created all the animals and they were all to bring forth after their own kind. The chicken came FIRST. No question about it.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#103466 May 13, 2013
chicken plucker wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly right! The Bible already told us the answer. God created all the animals and they were all to bring forth after their own kind. The chicken came FIRST. No question about it.
You mean the book with no supporting evidence? Good choice there.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#103467 May 14, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Lol, there is no god just ignorance. Love is a word for animal attraction. These things I claim, speak for your god not me.
Your ignorance is astounding!
We know God is real... you do not!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 2 min Working mom 1
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 12 min Rand and Mitch 4,357
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Cornelius Scudmister 153,035
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 2 hr Birds 81,630
Kfc 6 hr Jack 12
Jessica "Hall" Younger? (Jul '13) 8 hr BullSpit 7
2012 Ginseng Prices (Oct '12) 8 hr phil 125
Republicans have tunnel vision!! 8 hr Limbertwig 70
Henson Hollow 11 hr live in the holler 10
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••