Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,904

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#103466 May 13, 2013
chicken plucker wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly right! The Bible already told us the answer. God created all the animals and they were all to bring forth after their own kind. The chicken came FIRST. No question about it.
You mean the book with no supporting evidence? Good choice there.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#103467 May 14, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Lol, there is no god just ignorance. Love is a word for animal attraction. These things I claim, speak for your god not me.
Your ignorance is astounding!
We know God is real... you do not!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#103468 May 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well,That is your opinion,that you failed to understand what you read,is not my problem...I need say no more
You tend to think everything is an opinion except your belief in God. Why does that get a special consideration?

It is not my opinion that the Bible includes no information that wasn't known at the time it was written. That's just a fact. It makes no predictions, has no scientific insights, and provides no data that the writers themselves were not fully aware of. You can draw dotted lines between cherry picked quotes and modern science but it doesn't mean they have anything to do with each other.

Location hidden

#103469 May 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not difficult to answer,I know,as do you,that Thor and Zeus are a myth
You think that God and Christ are a myth
What you may think and what I believe are totally different
God and Christ have provided me with more that enough evidence for me to believe in them,therefore to ME,it is not a myth,it is reality
And that is why you can't talk to a Fundamentalist.

Yet here we are trying anyway...

Location hidden

#103470 May 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't much feel like debating evolution.Even if I did not believe in God,I would not buy it...
Science can be wrong and science can prove it Read the following
Now British scientists claim to have finally come up with the definitive answer: The CHICKEN...
Science can be wrong, and often is. That is the great strength of critical thinking. It CAN correct itself. In fact, it MUST. It starts with questions and observations, follows the evidence where it leads.

Compare that to your religion which starts with the answer, makes everything fit regardless of evidence.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103472 May 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So now you are saying reptiles and amphibians do not lay eggs.
REALLLY? Stupid say whaaaaaat?

Someone posts a complete article, ABOUT (here's YOUR clue)>CHICKENS and egg laying, and you post some nonsense crazy, T-Totally twisted and distorted sentence like that?

Are YOU THAT Ignorant, or just THAT twistedly desperate and ugly a person?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#103473 May 14, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Your ignorance is astounding!
We know God is real... you do not!
In order to know something is real, you would have to have evidence you can present to other people. So where is your evidence?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#103474 May 14, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone posts a complete article, ABOUT (here's YOUR clue)>CHICKENS and egg laying, and you post some nonsense crazy, T-Totally twisted and distorted sentence like that?
Logic is not something you are capable of, we know this. The chicken is NOT the only species that produces the ingredients for eggs, moron. Thus, it's only more evidence pointing to evolution.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103475 May 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the book with no supporting evidence? Good choice there.
There's been PLENTY of archeological evidences that attest to varying aspects of the CULTURES of the times the Bible was written of and about. The BOOK itself is actually one, just the same as would be with something like Mark Twains Tom Sawyer books being written with some of the CULTURAL aspects apparent of the times it was penned in.

Even today-aspects of the same cultural beliefs, traditions and practices still exist, and just because people not might always agree on them, or practice them all the same themselves, does NOT mean that they do NOT exist. Do you need the book to smack you in the head or something to "GET IT"?

What part of that REALITY is so hard to grasp, the world is FULL of DIFFERENT cultures AND beliefs-even two thousand years ago, when Christianity was basically considered a subversive practice, a duck among geese, its existances of customs, often forced into secret places (of which there is MUCH much evidence-SEE:
Goreme Open Air Museum: cave churches with frescoes
Zelve Open Air Museum: an empty cave town with churches
Kaymakli Underground City: the largest underground city
Derinkuyu Underground City: the deepest underground city
Ihlara Valley: the deepest gorge of Anatolia
Uchisar: Roman rock-cut castle
Ortahisar: Roman rock-cut castle
Avanos: center of pottery since the Hittites
Pasabag: mushroom-shaped fairy chimneys, monks valley
Devrent: animal-shaped fairy chimneys, imagination valley
Hacibektas: center of Bektasi sect of Islam
Gulsehir: first settlements in Cappadocia
Forgotten Cave Churches: churches located in the valleys
Caravanserais: 13th century hotels on the silk road)

Why do people like you insist on denying the REALITIES of such? Just because you don't like it or agree with it???

SORRY. That is NOT reality. And that is NOT how AMERICA works either-like it or not!!!!
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103476 May 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Logic is not something you are capable of, we know this. The chicken is NOT the only species that produces the ingredients for eggs, moron. Thus, it's only more evidence pointing to evolution.
Take a hike with your dmbfck imbecilic twit level bullchit-people like you are just luaghable (if it wasn't so pathetic)to anyone with some actual REAL intelligence.

Is that simple statement IGNORANT enough for you to comprehend, with out having to twist and distort it into something nutcase off the wall?

See if you can swallow THIS, with out a 90 degree head turn followed by vomititus spewage of ignorance!

FORGOTTEN CAVE CHURCHES OF CAPPADOCIA

[Nicephorus Phocas Church, Cappadocia] Who knows how many churches and chapels are hidden in the Cappadocian valleys? The best-known may be inside the Goreme Open-Air Museum but wherever you go you will find other churches - and often you will have them completely to yourself.

At the Cavusin old town, the church of St. John the Baptist rises on top of the hill. The church was built in the 5th century and it is the biggest cave church of Cappadocia even though it was divided into three rooms in 10th century against danger of collapsing. Most of the frescoes of St. John the Baptist church are faded by smoke but there are still some visible ones. Its cathedral-like proportions are also astounding.

Cavusin (Nicephorus Phocas) Church: This barrel-vaulted church, with one nave and three apses, is situated 2.5km from Goreme on the Goreme-Avanos road. Its narthex is collapsed. The church was built around 964/965.

Scenes: On the vault are the Annunciation, Visitation, Proof of the Virgin, Flight into Egypt, Joseph's Dream Ii, Blessing and Mission of the Apostles, Adoration of the Magi, Massacre of the Innocents, Pursuit of Elizabeth, Killing of Zacharias; on the west wall are Entry into Jerusalem, Raising of Lazarus, Healing of the Blind Man, Descent from the Cross, Women at the Tomb; on the wall of the apse the Transfiguration; on the north apse Emperor Nicaphorus Phocas and his family, which held power and authority in Cappadocia.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103477 May 14, 2013
ZELVE OPEN AIR MUSEUM

[Zelve Open Air Museum] The Zelve Open-Air Museum, which once housed one of the largest communities in the region is an amazing cave town, honeycombed with dwellings, religious and secular chambers. Zelve is situated about 10 km out from Goreme on the Avanos road. Here, the Christians and Muslims lived together in perfect harmony, until 1924. Then Christians had to leave the Valley because of the exchange of minorities between Greece and Turkey, and the Muslims were forced to evacuate the Valley in the 50's when life became dangerous due to risk of erosion. They left the site to set up a modern village, a little further on, to which they gave the name Yeni Zelve (New Zelve).

HACI BEKTAS-I VELI
" How glad for those who shed light into the darkness of thought. "

These words, written by Haci Bektas-i Veli, the famous Turkish-Islamic mystic, philosopher, and dervish from Khorasan, echo delicately in our ears as we enter the dervishes' convent. The lines, fraught with meaning, impart peace and love to our souls and transport us to the worlds completely different from our own. The stamp of Haci Bektas-i Veli's imprint upon Turkish, Islamic, and world history is deep and unmatched. Let us, therefore, attempt to become acquainted with and develop a sense for his world, filled as it is with love for humanity and for the universe, never forgetting that this is the path of love, the path of peace, the path of knowledge, the path of belief.

Some of the most known aphorisms of Haci Bektas-i Veli are:

Seek and find. Do not hurt even if you are hurt yourself.
Educate your women. Control your deeds, tongue, and desires.
Whatever you seek, look for it in yourself. The adept are both pure and purifying.
The first step of a talent is modesty. A person's perfection lies in the beauty of what he says.
Condemn no nation or person. Do not impose on someone that which is too burdensome for him to bear.
The end of the road that does not pass through knowledge is darkness. How glad for those who shed light into the darkness of thought.
Prophets and saints are God's gift to humanity.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103478 May 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Logic is not something I am capable of, we know this. MANY books have ALREADY told us-The chicken is NOT the only species that produces the ingredients for eggs, and I am such a moron to think that an already known theory is something original unto myself, and I cannot differentiate between in my own opinion, of (even though the digression is just THAT-off base of the articles TOPIC) it's only more evidence pointing to evolution, from that of OTHERS opinions which might see things differently
Above has been Edited-to sound like something that makes at least a SHRED of rational sense.
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103479 May 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
In order to know something is real, you would have to have evidence you can present to other people. So where is your evidence?
@thelevelofignorance-

Looky at yer scween after you click the link-

http://www.bing.com/images/search...

It raining Bibles!!!!!!!!!!

Hint: Don't like 'em-dont look at 'em, AMERICA allows for that FREEDOM!
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103480 May 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know why the Deuteronomy law is not Americas law? Because it is an unjust law. It was always an unjust law. It will always be an unjust law.
The Muslims still live by that law, and even you condemn them for it. Amazing you cannot see your whopping contradiction. They just follow their blind faith and listen to the inaudible still small voices in their head and believe it is a god.
God is not the law giver, secularism rules, thank god(ironically).
Thank you for posting LOGICALLY.

Let's add this in too--in comparing some of the cultural DIFFERENCES.

Existing even today-are those DIFFERENCES in, for example, AMERICAN CIVIL law, to that of cultures based more upon on "religious laws" such as the example below-

The principles and elements of Haci Bektas-i Veli's philosophy and life became the foundation on which the Bektashi dervish order developed. Bektashism was based on four tenets or "doors":(we'll just look at the first one)

1. the Door of the Shariah (Religious Law).

----------

Now, in comparison of American Secular CIVIL law vs religious sharia law for example---my OWN opinion is also--Thank God (ironically)and Amen!

(and thank God that we live in a nation that allows us the FREEDOM to read what we choose to- or NOT!!! Because ANYTHING else would NOT be a democracy!!!!)
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

#103481 May 14, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
@thelevelofignorance-
Looky at yer scween after you click the link-
http://www.bing.com/images/search...
It raining Bibles!!!!!!!!!!
Hint: Don't like 'em-dont look at 'em, AMERICA allows for that FREEDOM!
Footnote:
and if you look outside-NO, it's not raining Bibles! Mostly because rain is a whole other (different and seperate) category of subject matter!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#103482 May 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)So because most NOW know that Zeus and Thor are myths, they cannot be used as an example? This makes absolutely no logical sense. The entire point is, they are now known to be myths, but once were not, just as you claim god is not a myth.
That is not difficult to answer,I know,as do you,that Thor and Zeus are a myth
You think that God and Christ are a myth
What you may think and what I believe are totally different
God and Christ have provided me with more that enough evidence for me to believe in them,therefore to ME,it is not a myth,it is reality
2) And I understand why Christians feel they need not follow the instructions god commanded in the OT, due to the claimed deity Jesus overriding the old gods commands.
But this just makes the story look all the more contradictory.
If it is stupid now, it was stupid then. Animal sacrifices were never logical and always stupid. Yet your holy book sure makes them sound serious..
Those are your opinions and nothing I say,whether it be my opinion or based on Scripture is going to change your mind.
To tell you the truth,animal sacrifices in the Old Testament ,have never been of much interest to me.
I have an understanding of why they had to be and that is all I need,since I did not live in those times.
I am concerned about what is required of me now,therefore,I tend to pay more attention to the New Testament..
I do refer to the Old Testament as needed.
3) I see you refuse to get my point on following the bibles way to faith. I am getting tired of trying to explain it. I understand if you object to my reasoning, but you have yet to show you understand my reasoning.
I would not say that I have refused to get your point on following the bibles way to faith.
I believe the point I always made was that, If you or whoever,has not followed the Bibles instructions on how one may come to know God , instructions that I and many Christians follow, then they are unqualified to pass judgement on the results we have obtained by following those instructions
Yes I think god and a deity called Jesus is a myth, just as I think David Koresh is not a prophet or deity yet he claimed to be and people believed he was. They even died for him.

So you never concerned yourself with animal sacrifices? That is a good way to keep in belief, ignoring the stupid parts.
God likes the smell of sacrifices, so why don't you try and please him?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103483 May 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)Yes I did, so evidently you are skipping some of my posts. I stated it twice now. How many times must I state it for you to read it?
In fact, I state reasons I do not believe anymore with most every post.
You do not have to post it anymore for my sake. You have cleared that up.
2 )I followed the religion of my parents, just as most people do. I thought I felt what you call the holy ghost also, but I now understand what causes feelings when you think about things.
You talk about how you thought you felt the Holy ghost,but now you understand what causes feelings when you think about things.
.That is the basis on which you lost faith in God. Am I going to say you were wrong in losing your faith, NO
The reason I can't,is because I have not experienced what you have,therefore,I am unable to judge that which I have not experienced or have been tested on.
But I never said that my faith was based on my feelings or based on the religion of my parents .
I have made very clear the basis for my faith and those 2 reasons are never mentioned
3)When I was a kid, I had no idea what caused emotional feelings when I thought about stuff. I am a grown up now.
I understand that when I think about stuff, I get emotional reactions to what I think about.
Is this some mystery to you?
Voices in your head are called thoughts. Grown ups should know this.
Now maybe if I am a smart ass about this, you will remember it this time
The basis for your unbelief,if I understand you correctly,is based on your feelings,and that you now understand " that when I think about stuff, I get emotional reactions to what I think about."
"When I was a kid, I had no idea what caused emotional feelings when I thought about stuff. I am a grown up now."
I think I understand what you mean ,but,your reasons for your unbelief are totally different from the reasons for my faith,so any comparison between the 2,I think you would agree, is not valid .
I did not FEEL my prayers were answered, based on the results,I knew my prayers were answered.
I know whom I prayed to and he answered as promised
Now,someone who does not believe in God has to try and rationalize the results by attributing them to coincidences,or try to claim they never happened,that my mind deceived me into believing it happened,when it really didn't. Thereby ,I am judged to be delusional.
But,in reality,who is the delusional one?
One could rightfully claim that those who have never experienced those events, and don't understand what caused them to occur,have deluded themselves into believing they can explain something they truly,know nothing about.
I say you are as delusional as all the various people if the various religions believe their prayers are answered by their god. Not all can be correct, can they? You keep ignoring this point. I am showing sound basis for my judgement.
I am sure the ancients that prayed to Zeus for rain were as convinced as you about answered prayers.
You show no acceptance of my logic, nor even acknowledge my logic. I feel you ignore it as you do the silly animal sacrifices.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103484 May 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So now you are saying reptiles and amphibians do not lay eggs.
No,that is not what I am saying,,,
This is what I am saying
The scientists found that a protein found only in a chicken's ovaries is necessary for the formation of the egg, according to the paper Wednesday. The egg can therefore only exist if it has been created inside a chicken.
If the egg can only exist if it has been created inside a chicken,then where did the chicken come from,and from whence,their ability to create eggs,so there would be a continuation of the species....
THIS IS WHAT I ANM SAYING That can be explained if;
He who created the chicken,provided said chicken with the ability to reproduce itself and knowing this,confidently informed it to go forth and reproduce after it's kind.
Otherwise,we can try and explain it by citing some unexplainable
events that may or may not have happened billions of years ago,which no one observed,nor can they duplicate.....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103485 May 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)Not being able to prove something in an absolute sense is not the same as backing up a claim. I backed up my claim with reason, logic and the known history of human perception.
You posted a lot of opinions,unsubstantiated by any facts.
You assumed,you stated you could not prove, and
"that I am experiencing exactly WHAT ALL BELIEVERS of most all Gods do",,,,that is an opinion,for which you provided no evidence,other than based on your emotions
2)You back up your claims with claims of hearing voices and getting magical reactions to prayers.
Can you not see the massive difference?
Let me tell you what I see. I see someone who is incapable of understanding what God can do in one's life,if you allow him to.
Not able to understand that, they permit their emotions to try and interpret what they can not understand.
So to them,an answer to prayer is hearing voices and to be attributed to magic.
And if that is what you want to believe,that's fine.
Does it,in any way,negate what I know to be true....NOOOO
yes,I can see a massive difference.... I just explained it to you
Are you actually disputing the claim that other religions also believe due to perceptions of answered prayers and hearing ghosts or other superstitious spirits? Do I really need to show the testimonies? If so, then I understand why you think your magic man is the only one.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#103486 May 14, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
I know it's hard for you with your limited knowledge base but Chickens are made by Humans.... We Selected wild fowl and selectively bred them to produce a domesticated animal different in shape, habits from any wild game that came before... Before man domesticated them there were no Chickens.... But there were animals laying eggs for the last 300 to 500 Million years at a minimum...

What you and other do is start with a Belief (God Did It) and anything that supports your preconceived notion is ok, anything that shows those preconceived notions as Balderdash are ignored...

So which came first, The Egg... The egg was a method a organism developed 100's of millions of years ago to deal with environmental conditions and one of those organisms, after 100's of millions of years, became a bird... Then after several 1000 years of Human Breeding some of those birds became Chickens as man acted as a natural selector....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
German shepard 2 hr doggy 2
Porsche mills 2 hr sad days 25
barbourville affordabe funeral home (Oct '08) 3 hr someone who knows 109
jeff vaughn not dories jeff violas jeff is a rat 5 hr Junes son Jeff Va... 4
How many kindergarten teachers at Lay? 8 hr question 11
terry smith from the creek 9 hr wondering 4
Brett 10 hr sorry 2
To the Garland family 12 hr Friend 5
what happen on the creek ambulances an law is u... Fri Get a life 8
Who is the best looking woman in knox co. (Feb '10) Fri billy 183
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:09 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 2:09PM
RT Eric Winston quickly settling in with Bengals
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Broncos vs. Bengals: TV Info, Spread, Injury Updates, Game Time and More
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions
NBC Sports11:17 AM
Peyton Manning officially questionable for Monday night