Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,938)

Showing posts 98,741 - 98,760 of128,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Wait until you hear my views on the effect of Gravity being a very weak force and the main driver of the universe is the electrical effect and the flow of charged primal particles with mass via the 98% plasma form of universal matter... It's Awsome....
Bahahaha. Holy Moses! Lol
Hey,this Quanty is one funny guy,I see why you are laughing.
As a matter of fact,he has patented all this stuff and you can buy
a kit at KMART for $1.50 which goes into all the details.
To make sure you got the right package ,read the label
QuantumInsanity.
But,be careful,I tried to build a Universe,based on his instructions, my house blew up and I received a painful blow to the head....I saw a lot of stars swirling around,thought I had truly created a universe.... As Kingfish would say
Holy mackerel Andy..look what you done
"my house blew up and I received a painful blow to the head...."

That explains a lot......

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually SCIENCE, biology are POINTING TOWARD our CREATOR! Pretty AMAZING! But we already know He is REAL! U can know that too
If this is what you think then you're doing science wrong.

Show me the money.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Bahahaha. Holy Moses! Lol
Your response show you have no idea of which I speak... You do realize that the Universe is made of 4 states of Matter right? and one of those states is Plasma which indeed makes up 98% of All matter in the universe... The Sun and all stars exist in a plasma state of matter...

I know with your knowledge base you think I was talking about Mater's but I wasn't....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Big Ein wrote:
Why argue this! There either is a god, or isn't .
If there is each person will be held accountable on judgement day. I personally believe in god, and I believe in the bible ( king James) I have only read one comment from a Mark Duquette. On this subject and have determined he is an idiot.
Something to think about! Ok so if god does not exist, explain where we originated from. Big Bang theory? Monkeys? Ok, now who created The matter which consist of the Big Bang theory, who created the monkeys? Who created the universe. It cannot be scientifically explained, as anything created, derived from something else. The only answer is god!
Not again, we covered that back pages ago... Every time a newby pop's in we have to go back and re-explain that No One Created Anything... It was Conversion not Creation... Go back and review the last 1000 posts and get back to us....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the context of the other conversation was something about the existence of god or the validity of the Bible. Can't remember exactly, but this is about the misrepresentation of science. So I will engage for a little bit.
You've got a lot of problems going on with your logic. I'll address a few of them that are contained in this part of your post.
First, why did you only list two important discoveries of science? Also, one of them makes no sense. I don't remember science figuring out that the human body came from dirt in the last 60 years. Mainly because it is a nonsense idea. I mean sure, we ALL come from stardust if you wanna get really cosmic about it. But my body and your body certainly do not come from dust, dirt, or mud.
Then trying to link it to Genesis...really? Because that book mentions a beginning you assume it knew about the Big Bang? It's ludicrous. LOTS of ancient creation myths talk about how the world came into being. Sometimes by fire, sometimes by sex, sometimes by murder or even vomit. And the idea of a human coming from dirt is not unique to the Bible either. Primitive people saw maggots form as if by magic, seemingly right out of the earth itself. They watched plants grow out of the dirt. It's not a leap to hypothesize that humans came out of the dirt.
And it certainly is not some kind of early knowledge of science. The Bible doesn't even know about germs. It doesn't know about dinosaurs (spare the Behemoth claptrap). It doesn't tell us to wash our hands. It makes no mention of evolution.
In fact, the only thing it seems to know about are the very things that sheep herders who lived 3000-4000 years ago would have known about. How convenient.
Now, regarding science. It works by process. It looks at evidence, suggests explanations, tests them. The good ones stand, the bad ones fall.
If science hasn't given us a good answer about the start of life yet that does not mean it can't. There is simply no reason at all to assume that we can't figure that mystery out. It took a very long time to figure out evolution, germ theory, relativity, plate tectonics, and how to make vaccines to save millions. These ideas about origins are hard nuts to crack. It's gonna take a lot of time to do it.
The fact that you take this as some kind of admission of falsehood or deception shows me that you do not know anything about science. At all.
Also, I never said I could interpret scripture. I said I enjoy reading about it and I understand the way the ancient interpreters worked. Stop changing my words to suit what you would like me to say.
" Stop changing my words to suit what you would like me to say. "

Yea. That'll happen....
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Evolution is not based upon any claims of how life started, so your entire theory fails here.
Evolution is how life changes, not starts. How it started is not relevant to how it changes.
But thanks for telling us how much you demean science. Try looking up the word "demean" and start using it correctly please.
Oh, and science does have some hypothesis on how intelligence evolved. But I understand why you fail to know this as people who are so demeaning of science usually do not know much science.
This Is WHY I write in BIG letters,so you won't miss the obvious
You missed this when you read whatI posted,therefor your erroneous response
"And it is on that nonexistent foundation that SCIIENCE and EVOLUTIONISTS build their theories."

That Science is unable to explain the origin of life or intelligence,is not demeaning,IT IS A FACT
I have read some of the Scientific Hypothesis of how Intelligence evolved,not how it came into being
This is one of the Hypothesis

"Professor Seth Grant, of the University of Edinburgh
The researchers suggest that a simple invertebrate animal living in the sea 500 million years ago experienced a 'genetic accident', which resulted in extra copies of these genes being made"

That is certainly enlightening
IDC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

In world history we learn that man has created gods for thousands of years. The major organized religions of today are no different than those major organized religions of the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, etc. It is hard for me to believe with all the knowledge that we have today that such superstitions still exist and people are willing to kill each other for something that was, to me, clearly fabricated. I grew up looking at religion in a good light and that it was a good thing. After learning the truth about religion I now realize as an adult it has done more bad than good. The "Good Book" creates paths of judgment, hate, and anger, there is nothing good about that. Most all religions have caused the persecution of millions upon millions of people over the course of thousands of years. Every religion that I have ever researched sets the stage for persecution of non-believers and sets the stage to compete with the other religions (war, inquisition, persecution, abandonment, hatred, etc.)

Religions should never be taught in school as fact, never, ever and as long as the option remains on the table we are only a generation or so of regressing as a society, you can look at the Islamic countries for evidence of that.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Big Ein wrote:
Why argue this! There either is a god, or isn't .
If there is each person will be held accountable on judgement day. I personally believe in god, and I believe in the bible ( king James) I have only read one comment from a Mark Duquette. On this subject and have determined he is an idiot.
Something to think about! Ok so if god does not exist, explain where we originated from. Big Bang theory? Monkeys? Ok, now who created The matter which consist of the Big Bang theory, who created the monkeys? Who created the universe. It cannot be scientifically explained, as anything created, derived from something else. The only answer is god!
Quantum can cover the whole start of the universe stuff. But I wanna tackle some of the other bits of bad logic in this post.

Let's assume you are right on a couple of points. You are not right, but let's just assume.

If the universe had a beginning why would that indicate a god?

If it indicates a god, why would it indicate your god?

There are quite literally thousands of gods in mythology. The Christian gods are no different. So if you are correct and there is some kind of all powerful god why do you think that means we will be judged upon death?

This is a logical fallacy that Creationists make all the time. They hang their hat on the Cosmological Argument (if there was a beginning then it requires a Creator). Yet that argument says absolutely NOTHING about the nature of the Creator. It doesn't even mean it has to be a single Creator. It could be two dozen monkeys, three clowns, and a limping Hungarian that created everything.

So can you walk us through the logic that leads you from "There was a Creator" to "The Creator is my god"?
Big Ein

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not again, we covered that back pages ago... Every time a newby pop's in we have to go back and re-explain that No One Created Anything... It was Conversion not Creation... Go back and review the last 1000 posts and get back to us....
You don't have to explain anything to me, and I do not wish to discuss anything with you. It is your free will to believe what you want. Maybe you misunderstood, as I believe god all mighty is the creator of the universe, and end result, that is who I will answer too.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You are either ignorant by nature or pretend to be,as you totally took what I said out of context.
This is what I posted,in it's entirety,which you,in your IGNORANCE,took out of context.
My belief and faith in God IS not based on what other people have told me,as you falsely claim.
My belief and faith in God are based on my testing his Instructions as to how he may be found
If anyone had deceived me about God's existence,it was God himself.
And how did God prove to me,He does not exist?
By answering my prayers and thereby proving that he does exist.
That being the case,ACCORDING TO YOUR LOGIC,God deceived me into believing he does not exist,by proving to me,that he does exist.
There is something seriously wrong with your logic
Says I
Whether you are ignorant by nature or by design,I am unable to answer that.
That you are ignorant,is proven by your response. No further evidence needed
What did I take out of context? Your lame attempt at sarcasm? Which as a side note is pretty sad, since sarcasm is usually fairly easy for most people to score points with. But you, well you can't even do that right.
I'm starting to worry about you...
Big Ein

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Quantum can cover the whole start of the universe stuff. But I wanna tackle some of the other bits of bad logic in this post.
Let's assume you are right on a couple of points. You are not right, but let's just assume.
If the universe had a beginning why would that indicate a god?
If it indicates a god, why would it indicate your god?

There are quite literally thousands of gods in mythology. The Christian gods are no different. So if you are correct and there is some kind of all powerful god why do you think that means we will be judged upon death?
This is a logical fallacy that Creationists make all the time. They hang their hat on the Cosmological Argument (if there was a beginning then it requires a Creator). Yet that argument says absolutely NOTHING about the nature of the Creator. It doesn't even mean it has to be a single Creator. It could be two dozen monkeys, three clowns, and a limping Hungarian that created everything.
So can you walk us through the logic that leads you from "There was a Creator" to "The Creator is my god"?
Yes,
Read genesis in the King James Version bible
Enough said! This is your god as well, though you may not acknowledge it, at this time, and I encourage you to read it my friend

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Yet you say
Abortion is A-Ok!
Here's a clue for you...
Wrong is Wrong!
Abortion is neither mass murder not genocide, is it?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>There is WAY more than two... Go figure!
Believe what you want to!
Good day!
Then find two with a solid and concrete definition and explanation of what a "spirit" is first.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>So... you admit you are ignorant of the facts!
Good starting point!
Now.... search for yourself, do the work, and find "Your" soul!
We'll be right here waiting for your report!
So where is your evidence? You are lying when you claim a "spirit" or "soul" exists without presenting the evidence.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Big Ein wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to explain anything to me, and I do not wish to discuss anything with you. It is your free will to believe what you want. Maybe you misunderstood, as I believe god all mighty is the creator of the universe, and end result, that is who I will answer too.
Where is the evidence suggesting that a god not only exists, but is the cause of the universe?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Big Ein wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,
Read genesis in the King James Version bible
Enough said! This is your god as well, though you may not acknowledge it, at this time, and I encourage you to read it my friend
You mean the book that claims there were plants before sunlight.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

YIAGO WROTE

1)First, why did you only list two important discoveries of science?

Those were the only two that were relevant to the point I was making.

2)Also, one of them makes no sense. I don't remember science figuring out that the human body came from dirt in the last 60 years.
You need to read the report issued by NASA in the 1980's .there ,you will find the answer

See this explanation
The human body is made up of materials and minerals found on the surface of the ground, and not from the core of the earth.Oxygen, being the most abundant element on the earth’s crust or on the ground, makes up 65 percent of the human body, and carbon, also abundant on the top soil of the ground, is 18 percent, and hydrogen is 10 percent.The 59 elements found in the human body are all found on the earths crust

3)Mainly because it is a nonsense idea. I mean sure, we ALL come from stardust if you wanna get really cosmic about it. But my body and your body certainly do not come from dust, dirt, or mud.

take that issue up with NASA Scientists and other Scientists,who have reached the same conclusions and
explain to them,your reasons as to why they are wrong

4)And it certainly is not some kind of early knowledge of science. The Bible doesn't even know about germs.). It doesn't tell us to wash our hands. It makes no mention of evolution.

You need to read Leviticus15;1-13. After you read it,you will see how wrong you are

5) It makes no mention of evolution

I can well understand why the Bible makes no mention of Evolution. I will leave it up to you to interpret what I mean.

6)Now, regarding science. It works by process. It looks at evidence, suggests explanations, tests them. The good ones stand, the bad ones fall.

Science Confirms the Bible (bear in mind that the Bible is 2000-3000 years old!)
The Bible Science now Science then
The Earth is a sphere (Isaiah 40:23) The Earth is a sphere The Earth is a flat disk
Incalculable number of stars (Jeremiah 33:22) Incalculable number of stars Only 1100 stars
Free float of Earth in space (Job 26:7) Free float of Earth in space Earth sat on a large animal
Creation made of invisible elements (Hebrews 11:3) Creation made of invisible elements (atoms) Science is mostly ignorant on the subject
Each star is different (1 Corinthians 15:41) Each star is different All stars were the same
Light moves (Job 38:19,20) Light moves Light was fixed in place
Air has weight (Job 28:25) Air has weight Air was weightless
Winds blow in cyclones (Ecclesiastes 1:6) Winds blow in cyclones Winds blew straight
Blood is the source of life and health (Leviticus 17:11) Blood is the source of life and health Sick people must be bled
Ocean floor contains deep valleys and mountains (2 Samuel 22:16; Jonah 2:6) Ocean floor contains deep valleys and mountains The ocean floor was flat
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>How about those pics of Argentine? How about those Maccabees (not Macabees)? If you have a claim about them, then make it. I cannot read your mind.
I found the subjects of, to be quite interesting!

Et tu?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

7)If science hasn't given us a good answer about the start of life yet that does not mean it can't.
There is simply no reason at all to assume that we can't figure that mystery out. It took a very long time to figure out evolution, germ theory, relativity, plate tectonics, and how to make vaccines to save millions. These ideas about origins are hard nuts to crack. It's gonna take a lot of time to do it.

What Science is not able to explain is the process that made us into living intelligent beings,created out of unintelligent unliving matter.
It is from that foundation,on not knowing the answers to these questions,that they proceed to explain to us ,how this process might have taken place.
Therefore,when your foundation is based on stating that you do not have the answer to these questions,but may possibly have them some day,invalidates any conclusions you may arrive at.
If the foundation is built on sand,the house will come down.

8)The fact that you take this as some kind of admission of falsehood or deception shows me that you do not know anything about science. At all.

I never took this to mean any kind of admission of falsehood or deception on anyone's part.
Those are YOUR WORDS.
What I stated is my opinion as to why I find Science and Evolutions non answers to be absurd

9)Also, I never said I could interpret scripture. I said I enjoy reading about it and I understand the way the ancient interpreters worked. Stop changing my words to suit what you would like me to say.

If you understand how ancient interpreters worked,and agree with their views,then,in my view,not only were they wrong .but so are you.
I have seen many misinterpretations posted right here
When I have taken the time to correct them,no one has been able to contradict me,other than,I don't believe the Bible...
Their hypocricy is made plain,when,by quoting Scriptures out of context,they believe that Scripture is accurate based on their interpretation.
So,they BELIEVE the Bible,when it is convenient..
ProvenScience

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If you dispute something I say, then demonstrate how it is wrong. Just calling people names just makes your religion look like a philosophy of hate.
The only thing I mentioned was concerning YaA's reference about the Catholic church/mass and the "Holy Ghost" in reference to a "still small voice",

You just did the same thing however , hating on others beliefs, and trying to justify it because others beliefs might )or might not) tie to "religion".

Personally, I think (people) just having a "conscience" does NOT constitute as being a "religion".

con·science
[kon-shuhns] Show IPA
noun
the inner sense of what is right or wrong in one's conduct or motives, impelling one toward right action: to follow the dictates of conscience.
the complex of ethical and moral principles that controls or inhibits the actions or thoughts of an individual.
an inhibiting sense of what is prudent: I'd eat another piece of pie but my conscience would bother me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 98,741 - 98,760 of128,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

68 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KC Basketball Coach 6 min KC Fan 66
verna warren 31 min would like to know 1
verna warren 33 min would like to know 1
Becky and Richard hicks 35 min Just Saying 6
looking for a mini pot belly pig 53 min har 1
Huge yard sale 1 hr Tiff 1
Hobby Lobby ruling!! 1 hr bologna lips 14
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 13 hr Butt head 383
•••