Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
98,721 - 98,740 of 130,286 Comments Last updated 6 min ago

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
yes I do,but my posting was in response to somthing LOL posted,where HE claimed God was love.
You will probably believe his erroneous version of God's love
since it is based on nonsense and gibberish,which it,he,she is noted for
Mine is based on John 3;16
Yours is based upon ancient mans claims.
happy

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>The Earth is 6,000 years old.
4300 +/- years ago the entire Earth was flooded to a depth that covered the mountains.
The Creator of all space-time impregnated a carpenter's wife - who just happened to still be a virgin...?
YOU are proud to believe all the crap you say?
Its amazing the lengths people will go to to preserve their God Given Right to remain blissfully unaware.
Well Buddha is not alive the Muslims are the haters and my God is all about love. It's sad that you r to unwilling to see that but you will be the one that suffers for longer than you could ever imagine for denying your own maker. I'm happy to believe what I do as you are. Hope your life is happy. Good luck with all that
happy

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Nope... I base my views on Evidence and long years of study.... At any moment I will set aside any of my views with a single piece of new validated evidence that can be verified and tested.... No Belief required...
Whose evidence? Seems all would believe as you if such EVIDENCE existed
happy

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Wait until you hear my views on the effect of Gravity being a very weak force and the main driver of the universe is the electrical effect and the flow of charged primal particles with mass via the 98% plasma form of universal matter... It's Awsome....
Bahahaha. Holy Moses! Lol
happy

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Nothing makes nothing wrote:
In the 50's grade schools had posters of ape to man charts. But little was said about it in school. But the Big Bang theory was taught in science. The 1960's was the real beginning of evolution and the big bang theory in public school : Biological Sciences Curriculum Study (BSCS) textbooks
Work in genetics culminating in the 1937 publication of Genetics and the Origin of Species by Theodosius Dobzhansky, combining Mendelian genetics with Darwinian natural selection, and explaining, through neutral mutations, the source of the variation upon which evolution acted, led to a synthesis that brought together disparate fields of biology and other sciences into a strong, coherent explanation of evolution.[18] A campaign ensued, urging schools to teach the "fact" of evolution,[19] and in the 1960's, the federally supported Biological Sciences Curriculum Study and biology text books were introduced, promoting evolution as the organizing principle of biology.[21] The belief in the power of science among biologists was running especially high: One of the prominent creators of the modern synthesis, Julian Huxley, made a religion of humanism, saying that a "drastic reorganization of our pattern of religious thought is now becoming unnecessary, changing from a god-centered to an evolutionary-centered pattern",[22] and advocating the use of science to further expand human capacities.s:

Even though evolution had been around more than a century ,it was really the 60's that screwed up the minds of this generation. so much for "lack of education on evolution "! We have enough on that fable to write our on books. But thank God that some of us survived this forced on teaching of "man came from apes ,the world was created by hurling meteorites. Now those who taught that same theory,have changed their minds ,and now state that man did not come from apes,and they also are starting to dispute their own big Bang Theory. So much for knowledge of evolution! They can not even believe this garbage themselves!!
Thank you
happy

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>Neither the theory of Evolution of how life evolved and the Scientific theory of how life came into existence"which science has not been able to explain or duplicate' nor can you explain or duplicate,has been able to refute that which I have experienced personally.That which I have tested and experienceced,I know to be real.
The theories you use to try and convince me that I am wrong,and on which your beliefs are based,completely fail to refute whatI believe to be true,again,based on personal experience.
Neither can YOU refute my beliefs.Therefore your inability to convince me that I am being illogical,,,,For which you have no factual basis,as you have no facts that can contradict what I experienced and can ONLY reject them based on the theories to which you subscribe. Theories are not facts

My beliefs and reasons for my faith ARE NOT BASED ON a THEORY,
but instead on tested factual experiences...

Still in all,I can understand how you feel,as I,at one time ,was an agnostic and once felt the same way as you do now.
As aresult,I consider you an adversay,not an enemy
Well said
happy

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>It isn't science's goal to refute your beliefs. The goal of science is to understand (primarily) and to explain (secondarily). That's all. Your beliefs (aside from elections and taxes) are irrelevant.
I know you Christians are hung up on this (pun intended), but you are not being persecuted.

curious wrote, "<quoted text>
The theories you use to try and convince me that I am wrong,and on which your beliefs are based,completely fail to refute whatI believe to be true,again,based on personal experience.
Neither can YOU refute my beliefs.Therefore your inability to convince me that I am being illogical,,,,For which you have no factual basis,as you have no facts that can contradict what I experienced and can ONLY reject them based on the theories to which you subscribe. Theories are not facts
My beliefs and reasons for my faith ARE NOT BASED ON a THEORY,
but instead on tested factual experiences...
"

I'm not using theories to try to convince you that you're wrong. I'm using simple logic. You reject science because it is incomplete (even though it does have substantial supporting evidence) and you replace it with faith (which has no supporting evidence). That is illogical. I understand that you have strong feelings about this, but that is not the same as evidence. It wouldn't exist in a laboratory nor would it exist in a court of law. It's not evidence. You use terms like "tested factual experiences", but what you've experienced is not evidence it's just something you've felt and have strong emotions about.

curious wrote, "<quoted text>
Still in all,I can understand how you feel,as I,at one time ,was an agnostic and once felt the same way as you do now.
As aresult,I consider you an adversay,not an enemy"

I guess I would have more respect for you if you were to admit that which everyone else already knows. Faith, by definition, is believing something despite a lack of evidence. Faith, by definition, is illogical.

And, by the way, I am not an agnostic. I am an atheist. To some there's no distinction. And it may be semantics, but I do not believe there is a god.
Actually SCIENCE, biology are POINTING TOWARD our CREATOR! Pretty AMAZING! But we already know He is REAL! U can know that too
happy

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

OhWow wrote:
If you want your child taught your religion send them to a school based on it. Not everyone is Christian and not everyone believes what you believe. There's absolutely no reason to want to force it on those who do not want it.
Why would it b FORCING? It's a SUBJECT ... It should b available. Everything America stands for ...built on.. Why r u threatened by LOVE?
happy

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I have proof that your god does not exist, prove that I do not.
Oh this should b great. Your proof is?
happy

Duluth, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>How have you "tested" these magical ideas? Having a warm and fuzzy feeling is not going to get you far in a debate. You need evidence if you are making a claim about reality.

Regarding our nature, there is no reason to distinguish between a "human" nature and any other nature. There is ONLY the human nature to deal with. We are flawed, as I said, but not because of magic. It isn't inherited from a mythological fairy tale. We are flawed because we exist nature and nature is not a perfectionist.

But can do great good and there is no need to invoke magic to explain it.
Magic? Weird!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Whose evidence? Seems all would believe as you if such EVIDENCE existed
Such Evidence exists in abundance... Evidence does not cause Belief... Evidence does not provide Proof... Belief and Proof are Individual concepts and have only a passing connection to Evidence... One person can see 1000 individual pieces of Evidence to a Claim and conclude the evidence is not enough to Prove the claim or for them to have Belief in the claim.... Another Person can see a Single piece of Evidence and conclude that single piece of Evidence is enough to Prove the claim and for them to Believe the Claim True....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually SCIENCE, biology are POINTING TOWARD our CREATOR! Pretty AMAZING! But we already know He is REAL! U can know that too
"Horsey puckey doo doo" - Q
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Again, the critical flaw of your argument is in the part that says "his instructions". You trust the men who claimed these are gods actual instructions. These men might not actually be speaking for a god. They might be speaking for a religion that has no god. They might just be telling you the tried and true way to brainwashing, as I have demonstrated this is the tried and true way.
None of these concepts are devoid of mans concepts. So to claim they are gods concepts is a denial of human nature.
Well,neither the prophets or Christ claimed to be speaking of their own authority.
They prefaced their teachings by citing the source;Hear the word of the lord,the lord says,when the word of the lord came to me.
And when one applies their teachings and those teachings prove to be true and accurate,which is the criteria that God says you need to apply,in order to confirm whether that prophet should be believed as HAVING spoken on GOD'S BEHALF,then you begin to believe.
Your empty claim ,that you have demonstrated these claims to be false are without basis or foundation.YOU have never proven anything of the sort,other than dismissing them as magic or blind faith.
You have never claimed that your basis for not believing is based on your ever having tested God's instructions and having found them not to be valid.
You have read the Bible,and have misinterpreted all that it teaches.That seems to be the basis for your beliefs.
Now I challenge you,
You claim to know the Bible and what it teaches.
If you do,then you would know exactly what God requires of us and
how that will be accomplished.Specifically,how one will come to know him...
Have you put that to the test?And did you follow the instructions as He Specified?
Let me give you some insights....Humble yourself before the Lord?
Due to arrogance and self righteousness ,one may not be willing to do that.
A broken and contrite spirit,is what I require,not animal sacrifices....Seaqrch for more ,then tell me how you applied them,
and ,if you didn't or wont,why not
Big Ein

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Why argue this! There either is a god, or isn't .
If there is each person will be held accountable on judgement day. I personally believe in god, and I believe in the bible ( king James) I have only read one comment from a Mark Duquette. On this subject and have determined he is an idiot.
Something to think about! Ok so if god does not exist, explain where we originated from. Big Bang theory? Monkeys? Ok, now who created The matter which consist of the Big Bang theory, who created the monkeys? Who created the universe. It cannot be scientifically explained, as anything created, derived from something else. The only answer is god!
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Again, the critical flaw of your argument is in the part that says "his instructions". You trust the men who claimed these are gods actual instructions. These men might not actually be speaking for a god. They might be speaking for a religion that has no god. They might just be telling you the tried and true way to brainwashing, as I have demonstrated this is the tried and true way.
None of these concepts are devoid of mans concepts. So to claim they are gods concepts is a denial of human nature.
No,that is the central theme of my argument,it is described as a critical flaw by unbelievers,because they are unable to understand
something they have never experienced or tested.
At least we agree on something.
You did not dispute the rest of what I posted.
Probably with good reason...The facts spoke for themselves..
Not meaning to sound sarcastic,just citing the facts
Big Ein

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So how did god make life? The bible claims he "spoke" and made it so. This makes no sense. It really tells us nothing and is not a foundation. It is simply a claim of a magical being that came from nothing. Intelligence from nothing?
You are making a claim that you cannot show with evidence. And the evidence is not on your side that humans were created out of dirt as the bible claims it happened. Being of the same substance does not mean it happened as the bible claimed.
You take the creation story literally and it is clear the universe,earth, animals, plants and man were not created in six days. So the story is either literal, or it is not. You cannot have it both ways.
I hope no one pays much attention to you!
I would hate to have anyone's blood on my hands , due to your unintelligent answers. Seek , and understand! Ask god for instruction and and he will answer your questions! We are not required to have all the answers as Christians , as we are tested by our faith! To have all the answers here on earth, would have no purpose!
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You brought up something I was not questioning, so I am not sure what you are proving?
I do not dispute your religion is of the superstition one must get some magic water thrown upon you in order to get the magical afterlife.
I am not sure if any Christians dispute this superstitious claim. But their are a lot of disputes among Christians of what the bible is wanting you to do, so pick one of those for an example and lets start there.
I pointed out Jesus took the OT literally, so do you take all of the OT literally?
You avoid so many of my points and questions. What are you running from?
yes,Jesus took the prophecies that foretold his coming, and his ministry, literally,because he knew they applied to him.
He fullfilled both the LAW and THE Prophets,if you are able to understand what that means

You are disputing on the basis that you think you know what you are talking about,by misinterpreting what you read,giving it your OWN meaning,quoting verses of Scripture out of context,as has been proven on many occassions and reverting to your empty claims of magic and blind faith.
You keep regurgitating the same empty claims,unable to understand
the true claims on which my faith is based.
Scripture clearly describes your condition and what afflicts you.
Also provides you with the cure,which you are unable to accept.
To tell you the truth,I feel badly for unbelievers,but they are the cause of their own problems....
We are our own worst enemies when we live according to our human nature.
On the other hand, those who truly believe and trust in God,have found a true and trusted friend to guide and advise them.
You want to call it magic,fine You want to call it blind faith...Fine
That is your problem...
By whatever name,to me,it is atremendous blessing,which no one can take away from me.
As jesus said,He who comes to me,i will in no way cast out.
God has given them to me and no one can snatch them out of my hand
Think what you want....I know what I believe
Futile arguments based on the opinions of erratic human nature are not persuasive
I have not avoided your points and questions. I have answered them.. The fact that I am unable and unwilling to provide you with the answer you WANT,does not mean that your questions have not been answered.
Look back and see HOW many questions I have asked you,Which YOU have never ,even attempted to answer..Maybe you should give that some thought...
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

happy wrote:
<quoted text>
Quantummist wrote:

<quoted text>Wait until you hear my views on the effect of Gravity being a very weak force and the main driver of the universe is the electrical effect and the flow of charged primal particles with mass via the 98% plasma form of universal matter... It's Awsome....

Hey,this Quanty is one funny guy,I see why you are laughing.
As a matter of fact,he has patented all this stuff and you can buy
a kit at KMART for $1.50 which goes into all the details.
To make sure you got the right package ,read the label
QuantumInsanity.
But,be careful,I tried to build a Universe,based on his instructions, my house blew up and I received a painful blow to the head....I saw a lot of stars swirling around,thought I had truly created a universe.... As Kingfish would say
Holy mackerel Andy..look what you done

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Says I
In the last 60 years or so,Science has made 2 important" discoveries"
The Universe had a beginning and that the minerals contained in dirt are also found in the human Body.
Genesis begins with" In the begining,God created the Heavens and the Earth, and continues
And God made man,out of the dust of the ground.
What Science is not able to explain is the process that made us into living intelligent beings,created out of unintelligent unliving matter.
It is from that foundation,on tot knowing,that they proceed to explain to us ,how this process might have taken place.
I think the context of the other conversation was something about the existence of god or the validity of the Bible. Can't remember exactly, but this is about the misrepresentation of science. So I will engage for a little bit.

You've got a lot of problems going on with your logic. I'll address a few of them that are contained in this part of your post.

First, why did you only list two important discoveries of science? Also, one of them makes no sense. I don't remember science figuring out that the human body came from dirt in the last 60 years. Mainly because it is a nonsense idea. I mean sure, we ALL come from stardust if you wanna get really cosmic about it. But my body and your body certainly do not come from dust, dirt, or mud.

Then trying to link it to Genesis...really? Because that book mentions a beginning you assume it knew about the Big Bang? It's ludicrous. LOTS of ancient creation myths talk about how the world came into being. Sometimes by fire, sometimes by sex, sometimes by murder or even vomit. And the idea of a human coming from dirt is not unique to the Bible either. Primitive people saw maggots form as if by magic, seemingly right out of the earth itself. They watched plants grow out of the dirt. It's not a leap to hypothesize that humans came out of the dirt.

And it certainly is not some kind of early knowledge of science. The Bible doesn't even know about germs. It doesn't know about dinosaurs (spare the Behemoth claptrap). It doesn't tell us to wash our hands. It makes no mention of evolution.

In fact, the only thing it seems to know about are the very things that sheep herders who lived 3000-4000 years ago would have known about. How convenient.

Now, regarding science. It works by process. It looks at evidence, suggests explanations, tests them. The good ones stand, the bad ones fall.

If science hasn't given us a good answer about the start of life yet that does not mean it can't. There is simply no reason at all to assume that we can't figure that mystery out. It took a very long time to figure out evolution, germ theory, relativity, plate tectonics, and how to make vaccines to save millions. These ideas about origins are hard nuts to crack. It's gonna take a lot of time to do it.

The fact that you take this as some kind of admission of falsehood or deception shows me that you do not know anything about science. At all.

Also, I never said I could interpret scripture. I said I enjoy reading about it and I understand the way the ancient interpreters worked. Stop changing my words to suit what you would like me to say.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Quantummist wrote:
Hey,this Quanty is one funny guy,I see why you are laughing.
As a matter of fact,he has patented all this stuff and you can buy
a kit at KMART for $1.50 which goes into all the details.
To make sure you got the right package ,read the label
QuantumInsanity.
But,be careful,I tried to build a Universe,based on his instructions, my house blew up and I received a painful blow to the head....I saw a lot of stars swirling around,thought I had truly created a universe.... As Kingfish would say
Holy mackerel Andy..look what you done
"my house blew up and I received a painful blow to the head...."

That explains a lot......

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Reality 150,022
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 23 min Hatti_Hollerand 3,471
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 2 hr Yoda-byte-me 1,031
KJB marriage straight from the bible!! Marriage... 3 hr You lose 4
Stivers center swin coach abandons children in ... (Mar '12) 5 hr aaa 61
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 9 hr Republicans Are S... 26,229
Need tile backsplash 10 hr Observer 1

Search the Barbourville Forum:
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••