Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,570

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#103423 May 13, 2013
Agree wrote:
Bring prayer back in all schools!!!
No.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103424 May 13, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Au contraire, idiot. I believe that he was a believer. I have no reason to doubt what he says. You, on the other hand...
1)Au contraire, idiot.

I,also,am able to express myself,in other languages
porta fa ende radeskatzu dum aff eurnynoobebrha,uglupich malpa,orokana saru

2) I believe that he was a believer.

What do you believe,he believed in...He ain't told me

4) I have no reason to doubt what he says.

I have no reason to doubt it either,I just do not understand it

5)You, on the other hand..

Have 4 fingers and a thumb

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#103425 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)You trust words in a book that were compiled by a group of men in the fourth century put together by a king.
As usual,you err. We who trust the Bible ,do so,because we have tested what it teaches and have found those teachings to be true and accurate.
There are those who have not tested them,and are unable and unwilling to do so.
There are those,who claim to have been believers,but are unable and or ,unwilling to state what they believed in and why they believed as they did.
Based on that illogical criteria,they,somehow,feel qualified to correctly interpret the reasons for our beliefs and attributing our reasons to superstition or magic....
Logically speaking,one who neither understands or whose knowledge of a particular subject is flawed,is hardly qualified to accurately discuss that subject and their opinions should be readily dismissed.
That one may be able to nail a board to a wall,hardly qualifies him to be a carpenter.
That one has read a book on brain surgery,but has never practiced the instructions contained therein,hardly qualifies him to be a brain surgeon
2)BTW, you are making claims about me that I never made, again.
You make a claim,without providing any evidence..Since you do not provide a basis for your claim,it is deemed to be baseless
3)You have a bad habit of doing that.
I don't ,you do
4)But I understand why you have such false perceptions.
You don't require animal sacrifices? Funny, the bible demands people to have them. But of course they are silly and are just part of a brainwashing process, as all religious rituals are.
I understand this, you do not.
No,you DO NOT understand.you simply pick out a verse in Scriptures and give it the interpretation you want,in order to justify your beliefs,
It is obvious that you do not understand the reasons for animal sacrifices and their meaning,nor do you understand why it was necessary for Christ to come in order to fulfill the law and the prophets.
Go and find out what is meant by the scripture that says:‘It is kindness that I want, not animal sacrifices.’ I have not come to call respectable people, but outcasts
4)Have you tried to humble yourself before Zeus? How about Thor
In an effort to validate your misguided beliefs ,You keep regurgitating the same nonsense
Although,at some point in time,there were those who believed in Thor and Zeus,it is quite evident that they were mythical non beings.
No one claims that they are prophesying on their behalf,no one claims to have been instructed by them and they most certainly did not provide instructions as to how they may be contacted.
So because most NOW know that Zeus and Thor are myths, they cannot be used as an example? This makes absolutely no logical sense. The entire point is, they are now known to be myths, but once were not, just as you claim god is not a myth.

And I understand why Christians feel they need not follow the instructions god commanded in the OT, due to the claimed deity Jesus overriding the old gods commands.
But this just makes the story look all the more contradictory.
If it is stupid now, it was stupid then. Animal sacrifices were never logical and always stupid. Yet your holy book sure makes them sound serious.

I see you refuse to get my point on following the bibles way to faith. I am getting tired of trying to explain it. I understand if you object to my reasoning, but you have yet to show you understand my reasoning.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103426 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)[="Mike Duquette"]<quoted text>I was once a believer, so your argument fails yet again.
Says I You claim that you were once a believer,but you have never explained what you believed in or the reasons why you believed as you did
Yes I did, so evidently you are skipping some of my posts. I stated it twice now. How many times must I state it for you to read it?
In fact, I state reasons I do not believe anymore with most every post.

I followed the religion of my parents, just as most people do. I thought I felt what you call the holy ghost also, but I now understand what causes feelings when you think about things. When I was a kid, I had no idea what caused emotional feelings when I thought about stuff. I am a grown up now.
I understand that when I think about stuff, I get emotional reactions to what I think about.
Is this some mystery to you?
Voices in your head are called thoughts. Grown ups should know this.

Now maybe if I am a smart ass about this, you will remember it this time.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103427 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)[="Mike Duquette"]<quoted text>I was once a believer, so your argument fails yet again.

2)I am humble enough not to make claims I cannot back up, unlike yourself.
Does that mean that you can not back up your claims for having once being a believer?
What I claim now applies to what I do now, not what I did in the past.
I have learned things since I have grown up and one of them is how to not say absolute things I cannot back up.
Kids often say a lot of silly stuff but when pressed, they cannot back up what the say.
Religious people are just acting like immature kids, in my opinion.
I am a grown up and value my reputation. I am not going to make a bunch of unfounded claims.

Some here do not value their reputation enough to register on topix.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103428 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
3)Of course I cannot prove you do not hear inaudible, still voices in your head. But I can assume you do not really hear them but are experiencing exactly what all believers of most all gods do. Thus it stands to REASON, that you are in delusion. Can I prove you are in delusion? Again, I am not as arrogant as you, so no.
You are right,you can not prove,but you can assume. Your assumptions have led you to conclude that it stands to reason that I am delusional,but ,as you said,you lack the evidence to prove what you have assumed.
You claim not to be arrogant,then you contradict yourself.
One has to be arrogant when one claims they have no evidence to prove their allegations,then claim that it stands to reason that their allegations are correct...Such logic,such humility.......is incomprehensible
Not being able to prove something in an absolute sense is not the same as backing up a claim. I backed up my claim with reason, logic and the known history of human perception.
You back up your claims with claims of hearing voices and getting magical reactions to prayers.
Can you not see the massive difference?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103429 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I ,explicitly,stated the reasons for my faith,when it was questioned.
Because I provided an answer which you find unacceptable,and specified that my answer was not based on my personal opinion,but based on the teachings of Scripture,you claim that I was arrogant.
I accept this is why you believe, but I do not accept they are good reason for belief. Do you see a difference? You seem not to be able to see differences very well.

No, voices in your head and perceptions of answered prayers are not good reasons for faith. Why? Well how many times must I say? Every religion has the same metric and all feel they are following the correct god, deity, prophet or whatever. Not all can be correct, thus it is a poor metric in which to measure faith.

What you "back up" your claim with, is the same thing everyone of every religion uses. It is perception based, zero evidence based.
Humans have flawed perceptions as I demonstrated, but ignored. You feel your perceptions are correct, just as every religious faith does. Again, you cannot all be correct. So how is your metric a good way to measure?

I realize I am repeating myself, but it seems it takes this for you to comprehend my words(that is, if you now comprehend them).

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103430 May 13, 2013
Agree wrote:
Bring prayer back in all schools!!!
You can prey, just do not have the government teachers leading them as if endorsing religion. See the constitution.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103431 May 13, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I guess you've not been listening!
Go figure!
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Catholics listen to this ghost they claim is holy, and hear this inaudible still small voice. Who are you to say they do not hear it?

Evidently you did not get my point. If Catholics can hear the ghost, then why are they not on the same page with you?

I listen to the voices in my head, but I know they are my thoughts, not ghosts.
Call Ghostbusters.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103432 May 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah I know you think I haven't thought of all this. I don't expect you to take my word for any of what I have said. I hope you take the time to find out for yourself someday.
Shouldn't I wonder if you have thought about it, as you and your friends here do not seem to act as if it is logical that this could all be made up?
I get you somehow skip past the arguments we make, but it seems strange that you cannot understand why we do not believe. We have shown valid, logical, and reasonable reasons we do not believe your story.
So what seems even more strange is, your god is claimed not to be able to accept our disputes and reasons.
I do not think you are being reasonable, and I do not think your god is being reasonable. You can write on topix, so I think you are real, but your god cannot even write, so I do not believe the god exists.
Sorry you and your god are so unreasonable.
Maybe invent a reasonable god?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103433 May 13, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Animal attraction=lust.
Really?
Am I surprised a religie came up with that connection? No.
Hell, just take a stroll in the woods every where you look theres squirrels, rabbits, bears and platypuses just having their way with each other and watch out for the gay beavers chewing on woodies. Ignorance=sozi.
Really.
I lust......for knowledge. Guess I am going straight to hell.
I eat liberally from the tree of knowledge. Why is that a bad thing? Likely due to knowledge leading you away from myths. Myths hate knowledge.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#103434 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Scientists,YOU ARE WRONG
Then that scientist is an Idiot...

The Egg has been found in fossilized form dating back some 300+ Million years old while the Chicken is we know only came about after Humans bred game foul into a domesticated animal some 10's of 1000's of years ago.... Reptiles lay eggs, Amphibians lay eggs both of which predate even the wild foul the Chicken was bred from by many 100's of Billions of years.....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103435 May 13, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"This most beautiful system [The Universe] could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being"
Sir Isaac Newton
One of our First scientists...
True today as when he said it!
Being one of the first scientists, Newton did not have the vast knowledge the latter scientists have brought to us. Thus it is understandable he still had many gaps of knowledge in which to insert his god.

But even with knowledge of science, one might still be swayed by his upbringing of religion being brainwashed into him daily.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103436 May 13, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>The Law giver said "Do this, and be punished!"
He is not to blame if you did it!
The Law giver has always said "Repent, and I will forgive!"
Now His Grace extends even unto you... IF you repent!
Was your dad evil for swatting your arse when you were bad??
No!
Do you know why the Deuteronomy law is not Americas law? Because it is an unjust law. It was always an unjust law. It will always be an unjust law.
The Muslims still live by that law, and even you condemn them for it. Amazing you cannot see your whopping contradiction. They just follow their blind faith and listen to the inaudible still small voices in their head and believe it is a god.

God is not the law giver, secularism rules, thank god(ironically).

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#103437 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Scientists,YOU ARE WRONG
It is an age-old riddle that has perplexed generations: Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
I read that whole thing and Yes, I was correct ...Idiots and not Scientists in the first place.... The whole thing was based on a protein that exists in all animals that lay eggs and that is then used by a college engineering teacher to forward a Creationist view... You you were not intelligent enough to realize other animals lay eggs....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103438 May 13, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>No!
I know you are just trying to be a tard, but...
The "crusades and inquisitions" was by What Religion???
http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com/crusad...
See... You KEEP ON forgetting Christ's teachings!
I can see your confusion with your religious past,
Failed Mormonism, failed Catholosim, and failed Methodist!
Now... Try very hard NOT to be wrong with your assumptions!
BTW...
It was Alexander the Great, that did more for Christianity...
The Greek language spread the Gospel, as everyone spoke greek!
It was the Catholic church that put it in Latin, so the lay people could not read it...
Go figure!
So you think Catholics, the first formal religion of Jesus was just not hearing that still small inaudible voice of the holy ghost, thus could not understand the bible?
Slice this any way you wish, it still points to your philosophy as flawed.

Catholics think they are following the bible correctly, just as every sect of every religion does. But of course you think yours is correct and theirs is not. Who would have guessed?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103439 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
This Is WHY I write in BIG letters,so you won't miss the obvious
You missed this when you read whatI posted,therefor your erroneous response
"And it is on that nonexistent foundation that SCIIENCE and EVOLUTIONISTS build their theories."
That Science is unable to explain the origin of life or intelligence,is not demeaning,IT IS A FACT
I have read some of the Scientific Hypothesis of how Intelligence evolved,not how it came into being
This is one of the Hypothesis
"Professor Seth Grant, of the University of Edinburgh
The researchers suggest that a simple invertebrate animal living in the sea 500 million years ago experienced a 'genetic accident', which resulted in extra copies of these genes being made"
That is certainly enlightening
Again, how life started has no part of evolution. The theory of evolution, needs not know how life started for it to be valid. It works no matter if a god started life or not, so your argument makes no sense. Even god believers can believe in evolution. Arrogant ones cannot. Ones who take every word of the bible literally cannot.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103440 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
This Is WHY I write in BIG letters,so you won't miss the obvious
You missed this when you read whatI posted,therefor your erroneous response
"And it is on that nonexistent foundation that SCIIENCE and EVOLUTIONISTS build their theories."
That Science is unable to explain the origin of life or intelligence,is not demeaning,IT IS A FACT
I have read some of the Scientific Hypothesis of how Intelligence evolved,not how it came into being
This is one of the Hypothesis
"Professor Seth Grant, of the University of Edinburgh
The researchers suggest that a simple invertebrate animal living in the sea 500 million years ago experienced a 'genetic accident', which resulted in extra copies of these genes being made"
That is certainly enlightening
I suppose you forget you demean science in so many other ways? Like comparing a scientific theory to something that is not considered fact.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103441 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
yes,Jesus took the prophecies that foretold his coming, and his ministry, literally,because he knew they applied to him.
He fullfilled both the LAW and THE Prophets,if you are able to understand what that means
You are disputing on the basis that you think you know what you are talking about,by misinterpreting what you read,giving it your OWN meaning,quoting verses of Scripture out of context,as has been proven on many occassions and reverting to your empty claims of magic and blind faith.
You keep regurgitating the same empty claims,unable to understand
the true claims on which my faith is based.
Scripture clearly describes your condition and what afflicts you.
Also provides you with the cure,which you are unable to accept.
To tell you the truth,I feel badly for unbelievers,but they are the cause of their own problems....
We are our own worst enemies when we live according to our human nature.
On the other hand, those who truly believe and trust in God,have found a true and trusted friend to guide and advise them.
You want to call it magic,fine You want to call it blind faith...Fine
That is your problem...
By whatever name,to me,it is atremendous blessing,which no one can take away from me.
As jesus said,He who comes to me,i will in no way cast out.
God has given them to me and no one can snatch them out of my hand
Think what you want....I know what I believe
Futile arguments based on the opinions of erratic human nature are not persuasive
I have not avoided your points and questions. I have answered them.. The fact that I am unable and unwilling to provide you with the answer you WANT,does not mean that your questions have not been answered.
Look back and see HOW many questions I have asked you,Which YOU have never ,even attempted to answer..Maybe you should give that some thought...
I do not know of any questions of yours I have avoided. Please enlighten me. I see zero questions here.

And you must realize it is easy to CLAIM to fulfill a prophesy yet have zero evidence of doing so?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103442 May 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

Futile arguments based on the opinions of erratic human nature are not persuasive
Yet all claims of the religious sort are just that, opinions and erratic human nature at work. And you wonder why atheists exist? Why would god wonder? Why would god send an unbeliever to hell? Why should I trust a single word of the bible? It is just words of men making opinions of what a god wants. Seems extremely erratic and typical of human nature.
I would expect nothing less from ancient ignorant men. I have learned I should not expect less from men today, sadly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 14 min beeraholic 49
Jenny Mills 40 min Really 5
kenitha tried 48 min The ex 9
Quantummist real name is Paul Mays 1 hr John 4
Devin Eubanks in Jail 1 hr James 9
info on David Warren (Sep '12) 2 hr anonymous 25
Scarlett Martin (Jun '13) 2 hr Anonymous 2
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville