Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,591

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#103119 May 10, 2013
KittenisaHYPO wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it was.
Mass murder and genocide are both forms of killing.
You were expressing your disdain for killing.
Apparently, it's fine to kill one at a time, but not in large quantities. What a laugh.
Truth be known, you'd love to see a mass amount of Christians, or any people you felt were a threat to you, put down.
The point is, hypocrite, that you make exceptions. You bend the rules. You feel some killing is justifiable and that justification is entirely based on YOUR opinion and morals.
Since you also support killing when it suits your needs, you are a hypocrite to criticize others who express their support of killing people as a means of punishment.
P & M
So is hunting for food, that is also killing. Harvesting a crop is killing. Self defense can result in killing. War is killing.

But, we were talking about mass murder and genocide, your bible condones those and even commands it.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#103120 May 10, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Happened with the Dead Sea Scrolls. Good stuff mixed with other stuff that doesn't matter to anyone anymore.
This site has a nice discussion about the Book of Abraham:

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon054.htm

My memory of this topic comes from a podcast I listened to several years ago. This article mentions some of those details.

For example, they found some of the scrolls in 1967. The LDS itself asked for them to be translated. This was going to be a HUGE proof of Joseph Smith's validity as a prophet.

However, the scrolls and the Book of Abraham are totally different. He was obviously making it up and had no idea how to actually read Egyptian hieroglyphs. The reason he could get away with it at the time was that nobody really knew how to read hieroglyphs at the time. It was a work in progress in the academic world to figure it out.

Now, this was a blow to the LDS. And naturally they rationalized it away, saying that these must not be the actual scrolls Smith used. They just happened to be the ones he didn't use (convenient). However, there are elements in these discovered scrolls that match notes in smith's journal. It is pretty clear he was in fact working from these documents.

The problem you face as a Mormon is that all the evidence screams Smith was fake. But your ENTIRE belief system is hinged on Smith being for real. So you have absolutely no choice but to assume he was for real and rationalize everything to fit that assumption.

And it is not just you. It is all faiths. If you start with an ultimate truth, such as God created everything in 6 literal days, then you are FORCED to rationalize the world into fitting that story. You can only be rational about evidence if it poses no threat. Other evidence must be wrong or interpreted in such a way as to bolster the faith.

This is why Christians can be so rational and logical about motors, computers, farming, and military strategy but when faced with evolution they turn into complete morons. Suddenly facts and logic don't make no sense no more and God did it.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#103121 May 10, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So is hunting for food, that is also killing. Harvesting a crop is killing. Self defense can result in killing. War is killing.
But, we were talking about mass murder and genocide, your bible condones those and even commands it.
No kidding. God killed a whole planet and a bunch of cities and sent his thugs to murder and steal and rape and pillage.

I love the fact that Noah's Ark has become such a cartoon for kids. You can buy shirts and games and toys with a cartoony Noah, his family, cute animals...

But they never seem to tell the kids about the rotting carcasses that the boat would have bumped into here and there.

There's a great t-shirt I saw with a picture of the Ark and the slogan "All the animals were harmed in the making of this shirt".

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#103122 May 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
No kidding. God killed a whole planet and a bunch of cities and sent his thugs to murder and steal and rape and pillage.
I love the fact that Noah's Ark has become such a cartoon for kids. You can buy shirts and games and toys with a cartoony Noah, his family, cute animals...
But they never seem to tell the kids about the rotting carcasses that the boat would have bumped into here and there.
There's a great t-shirt I saw with a picture of the Ark and the slogan "All the animals were harmed in the making of this shirt".
Speaking of Noah, I didn't even get into the incest and how many times the bible endorses that. Or how the god denies justice based on deeds and only prefers those who are gullible. I mean, anyone asserting that the bible is somehow a source of "good" morals should be jailed simply out of caution.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#103123 May 10, 2013
In your mind wrote:
<quoted text>
no one can show god but god.
ever done something and not sure why you did?
and it was right.
Are you telling me some people have thoughts and ideas, yet do not understand why they have them? Yes, our mind is on autopilot most of the time. None of this means a god is doing the driving. The brain does not need conscious thought in order to operate. Most animals have little conscious thought yet they their brain is doing a lot of work. Is this god?
Do you stick god into every gap you find?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103124 May 10, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Your distaste for my answers do not change that they are answers. I'm still giving you way more answers than you have me on one question alone.
I don't know when the first creator would have come about. Our God is the only one that we are supposed to be concerned with right now. Perhaps we can know this now, because we are promised that the mysteries of he kingdom can be known to us now. But I'm not there yet. Milk before meat. We will definitely know these things in the afterlife, but I'm striving to learn now.
You miss the point as usual.
My point was, if you demand a creator for all intelligent beings, then you have an infinite regress of intelligent creators, thus the logic you use fails to show one must have an intelligent creator to create an intelligent being.

I can see you fail to even try to put your logic to the test. You seem to just assume it makes sense.

Your god theory does not pass the logic test and has zero evidence.
This is why I do not believe their is a god.
You seem to expect me to forgo my logic and blindly believe.
Again my question is, if this is what you expect, then why do you not believe in Mohammed?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#103125 May 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>This site has a nice discussion about the Book of Abraham:

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon054.htm

My memory of this topic comes from a podcast I listened to several years ago. This article mentions some of those details.

For example, they found some of the scrolls in 1967. The LDS itself asked for them to be translated. This was going to be a HUGE proof of Joseph Smith's validity as a prophet.

However, the scrolls and the Book of Abraham are totally different. He was obviously making it up and had no idea how to actually read Egyptian hieroglyphs. The reason he could get away with it at the time was that nobody really knew how to read hieroglyphs at the time. It was a work in progress in the academic world to figure it out.

Now, this was a blow to the LDS. And naturally they rationalized it away, saying that these must not be the actual scrolls Smith used. They just happened to be the ones he didn't use (convenient). However, there are elements in these discovered scrolls that match notes in smith's journal. It is pretty clear he was in fact working from these documents.

The problem you face as a Mormon is that all the evidence screams Smith was fake. But your ENTIRE belief system is hinged on Smith being for real. So you have absolutely no choice but to assume he was for real and rationalize everything to fit that assumption.

And it is not just you. It is all faiths. If you start with an ultimate truth, such as God created everything in 6 literal days, then you are FORCED to rationalize the world into fitting that story. You can only be rational about evidence if it poses no threat. Other evidence must be wrong or interpreted in such a way as to bolster the faith.

This is why Christians can be so rational and logical about motors, computers, farming, and military strategy but when faced with evolution they turn into complete morons. Suddenly facts and logic don't make no sense no more and God did it.
I have been all over that site. There are so many inaccuracies and half-truths on that site that I discounted it years ago, before I even joined the church.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#103126 May 10, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You miss the point as usual.
My point was, if you demand a creator for all intelligent beings, then you have an infinite regress of intelligent creators, thus the logic you use fails to show one must have an intelligent creator to create an intelligent being.

I can see you fail to even try to put your logic to the test. You seem to just assume it makes sense.

Your god theory does not pass the logic test and has zero evidence.
This is why I do not believe their is a god.
You seem to expect me to forgo my logic and blindly believe.
Again my question is, if this is what you expect, then why do you not believe in Mohammed?
I don't see how my thought fails at all. How is it an infinite regress? Even humans have gotten smarter over time by learning from what others learned.

I do not believe in Mohammed because he was a false prophett.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103127 May 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Then we have nothing more to talk about. You have faith in something without evidence. You aren't interested in evidence.
I require evidence. I don't have any use for faith.
Good talking to you. Have a good life.
Bye
I have ,more than once,presented the evidence for my faith,based on my personal experiences.
I not only provided the evidence,but also,the method I used,as contained in Scriptures,in order to validate the accuracy of the evidence

The fact that you are unable to understand that evidence,or test it's accuracy,has led you to arbitrarily dismiss it,
Yet,unable to understand the evidence,you and others have tried to explain it.
My question has always been; How can you try to explain,that which you do not understand?

You call it" magic, being deceived by your mind,coincidences that may or may not occur" .
All these excuses are based on your opinions,in an attempt to justify your unbelief..

It is evident,that you and others are not seeking evidence,you are searching for the answer you want to hear in order to justify your beliefs.
In order for me to provide you with the answer you want to hear,I would have to lie,then,you would gladly accept my answer as valid.
I am unwilling and unable to provide you with a deceitful answer in order to please you.

If you don't get the answer you want to hear,you dismiss it as irrelevant and provide opinions that are based on your ignorance of the FACTS..
That being the case,you are right,we have nothing else to talk about

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#103128 May 10, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see how my thought fails at all. How is it an infinite regress? Even humans have gotten smarter over time by learning from what others learned.
I do not believe in Mohammed because he was a false prophett.
on what basis do you think Mohammed is a false prophet?
Do you know what "infinite regress" means?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103129 May 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand far more than you give me credit for. I'm familiar with scripture, faith and doctrine and whether you believe it or not, I fully understand the "point" you repetitively try to make. I choose not to reinforce illusions, so if you find that my over looking, ignoring or confounding the irrelevant portions of posts is annoying, you might now know why.
PS Nice try.
That one may be familiar with what is written in Scripture,is not an indication that one understands the meaning contained in what Scripture teaches.

In order to claim to understand,requires more than merely reading.

You need to personaly put into practice what is being taught.
You also need to apply the criteria contained in Scriptures to make sure that your interpretation of Scriptures are correct.
I am assuming that the criteria included in Scripture is what you have in mind when you state that" I,meanig you, choose not to reinforce illusions"
If one does not follow the instructions,but instead follows their opinions and emotions,chances are very high,that you will arrive at the wrong conclusions,thereby,deceiving yourself into believing that you understand ,that which you do not.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Manchester, KY

#103130 May 10, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>on what basis do you think Mohammed is a false prophet?
Do you know what "infinite regress" means?
I doubt it... He has no idea what "Evidence" means....
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103131 May 10, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Are you telling me some people have thoughts and ideas, yet do not understand why they have them? Yes, our mind is on autopilot most of the time. None of this means a god is doing the driving. The brain does not need conscious thought in order to operate. Most animals have little conscious thought yet they their brain is doing a lot of work. Is this god?
Do you stick god into every gap you find?
1)Mike Duquette"]<quoted text>Are you telling me some people have thoughts and ideas, yet do not understand why they have them?

When I have stated the basis for my faith,based on actual results that I could not deny,I was ridiculed and mocked by the Atheists on this website.
If I remember correctly,you were included in that group.
I was told that my mind had deceived me,among other nonsensical responses that I received.
Then,these "experts" claimed that they,based on their sophisticated education in Psychology,were better equipped to interpret what I have experienced,than I am.
Now,whether he be right or wrong,someone has provided evidence that you all base your knowledge on what you read on Wkipedia and watch on you tube.....
i don't know,,If I needed an attorney and he told me he acquired his law degree from youtube university,I would prefer to throw myself at the mercy of the court and plead ,guilty as charged..

I find it odd that you should ask that question?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#103132 May 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That one may be familiar with what is written in Scripture,is not an indication that one understands the meaning contained in what Scripture teaches.
You also need to apply the criteria contained in Scriptures to make sure that your interpretation of Scriptures are correct.
I am assuming that the criteria included in Scripture is what you have in mind when you state that" I,meanig you, choose not to reinforce illusions"
If one does not follow the instructions,but instead follows their opinions and emotions,chances are very high,that you will arrive at the wrong conclusions,thereby,deceiving yourself into believing that you understand ,that which you do not.
What? None of the usual cut and paste from Biblegateway?
If you told me that you believe marshmallows are good for your teeth because you wholeheartedly agree when the manufacturer says they are white and easy to chew, why would I placate that opinion? Same thing. I am not trying to dissuade your emotional investment in Kraft, but you only deceive yourself to insinuate that there is any intellectual "seeking" involved. You could as easily and as justifiably rationalize being a devotee of any of the other religion. Instead, you dismiss them - as do I.
ProvenScience

London, KY

#103133 May 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Moses uses a magic staff. There's a talking snake. Jesus walked on water.
But I guess actually Jesus could be a ghost or a zombie. He died then was seen walking around.
How is that magic, ghosts, and zombies? I'm just being honest about it.
Talk about epic flooding--

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/10...

(which might've read if written 2k years ago, Aye, lands of water made of light, thou would float upon the air above them...)

:-)
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103134 May 10, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt it... He has no idea what "Evidence" means....
And you do,as evidenced to your response as to how many galaxies are out there..you said,about 10 billion,with no evidence to support your ,opinion.
Who counted them and how were they counted.
Do you realize that in order to count to 10 billion,would take over 36 years.
If one were able to discover a galaxy a week,it would take 10 billion weeks to discover them,which in turn would take millions of years in order to accomplish such a feat.
I know,I don't understand Science and you will provide me with the formula as to how this was accomplished.
Hope it will be a better formula that the one you provided for the creation of the universe;
"matter and energy came together and the universe was created".
I bought a kit at ToysR Us,that contained the same instructions.
All I managed to create was a mess in the kitchen,got my wife highly upset and which took me a few days to clean up.
I know you mentioned that you post as a means of entertaining.
Well,you certainly have accomplishe that Goal,you are very entertaining and I do enjoy your postings
ProvenScience

London, KY

#103135 May 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet!
Sweetest

http://www.bing.com/images/search...

http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/foot-...

Now get busy lol.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#103137 May 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
What? None of the usual cut and paste from Biblegateway?
If you told me that you believe marshmallows are good for your teeth because you wholeheartedly agree when the manufacturer says they are white and easy to chew, why would I placate that opinion? Same thing. I am not trying to dissuade your emotional investment in Kraft, but you only deceive yourself to insinuate that there is any intellectual "seeking" involved. You could as easily and as justifiably rationalize being a devotee of any of the other religion. Instead, you dismiss them - as do I.
Since you claim to have a knowledge of Scriptures,I saw no need to provide you with information you already claim to have.
Your analogy between the instructions contained in the bible and some absurd reference to marshmallows is clearly an attempt to avoid addressing the issue being discussed.
When one avoids the issue being discussed,it is for good reason.
Either you can not or is unwilling to confront the issue head on,for fear of the results ,therefore, in order not to provide an answer ,evading it would seem the best course available.
Still in all,avoiding the issue,provides an answer,in and of itself...
MaryAnn

Monticello, KY

#103138 May 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
curious you do realize you are not supposed to argue over the Scriptures. The Bible says if they will not hear you to shake the dust off your feet and go on. This constant bickering with these infidels and giving them more opportunity to blaspheme God is wrong. You need to quit. Same goes for others that do this.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#103139 May 10, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
Uh-huh. Are you the little old lady who surreptitiously watches the menfolk sweat in the summer and gets in a tizzy over short skirts? Whatever interest you've got in feet or bromhidrosis is none of my business as long as you don't rub anyone's nose in it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darren k west pickup Sampson lane election signs 1 hr Neighbor 1
Darren k west come to catron ave get your signs 1 hr Ruth 4
moma screwer 3 hr BBP 7
Darren k west please pick up political signs 4 hr Please 8
Darren west pick up your Election signs PLEASE... 4 hr Please Darren 19
Darren k west clean up your signs 6 hr Jerry 8
Barbourville High School 12 hr lolol 6
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Mon beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:30 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:30PM
Titans Release Veteran LB Phillips
NBC Sports 2:47 PM
Titans release Shaun Phillips, place Brian Schwenke on injured reserve
Bleacher Report 8:54 PM
What Experts Are Saying About Bucs vs. Bengals?
NBC Sports 7:03 AM
Report: Devon Still hasn't paid child support since July
Bleacher Report 8:25 AM
Mercurial Justin Hunter Continues to Disappoint