Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,106

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102961 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If intelligence must be created, then who created that intelligent creator?
I've already answered this for you. If I'm right, the Father has a Father, and so on

Location hidden

#102962 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry. It is spelled Kolob:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob

"Kolob is a star or planet described in Mormon scripture. Reference to Kolob is found in the Book of Abraham, a work that is traditionally held by adherents of the Mormon faith as having been translated from some Egyptian papyrus scrolls by Joseph Smith, the founder of the Latter Day Saint (LDS) movement. According to this work, Kolob is the heavenly body nearest to the throne of God. While the Book of Abraham refers to Kolob as a "star",[1] it also refers to planets as stars,[2] and therefore, some LDS commentators consider Kolob to be a planet.[3]"

Of course, as it turns out, the Egyptian scrolls don't say anything at all about Kolob, Abraham, or anything else Smith wrote.
Yes I know what Kolob is. Wasn't sure if the other was something else.

Yes, the remaining scrolls are not the portion that the Book of Abraham was included in. These were just in the pile of stuff that Joseph bought. He was prompted to buy the lot of stuff not knowing what it was for. They didn't really need the mummies either.
They aren't sure where the other scrolls are now. Some think they were lost between Nauvoo and Utah.

Location hidden

#102963 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Sure. Science asks questions all over the place. Backward, forward, sideways. But I suspect your reasons are not about learning science, but about securing a "Gotcha" moment. When a person says that science doesn't know this or that answer you insert God.

Its the way Creationists work. I don't know if you subscribe to Creationism or not, but this is one of their tactics.

Meanwhile, as I pointed out, a Creationist believes in magic, ghosts, and zombies. Yet its the science folks who are crazy?
Magic, ghosts and zombies? Not exactly, but nice attempt to discredit.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102964 May 8, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
You really can't understand that a person can be moral and ethical without an imaginary parental figure standing over them, can you?
It's not that hard.
Simply never act in a manner that would cause you discomfiture.
Embarrassed to be caught in a lie? Then DON'T lie.
Uncomfortable to be seen stealing? Then DON'T steal.
Distressed to be found cheating? Then DON'T cheat.
See? Simple. I'm about the realist "realist" you will meet.
It all depends on ones personal views on what Ethics and morality mean
We have a political system,supposedly composed of honorable public servants,whom,are constantly being accused and found guilty of various ethical violations.Stealing,bribery,se xual misconduct
lying etal..

We find the same incidents within those who serve in law enforcement,the justice system,attorneys and within our armed forces,all reflective of the society in which we live.
Not to mention,some of our religious institutions.

Of course,when charged,they vehemently deny their guilt,but the overwhelming evidence stacked against them,soon leads to a conviction.
More than that,due to the power imbedded in their positions,in many cases they are able to hide their misdeeds from the public and their superiors conveniently either ignore them or attempt to hide them.
This problem also afflicts the general public,to some,more than others Nevertheless,we are all afflicted by our flawed human nature.
Any one claiming that they have never done anything for which they should feel guilty or ashamed,is either lying or has a very low Ethics and Morality bar.
The self righteous,the arrogant,those with a seared conscience and misguided sociopaths have no problem in justifying their unethical or immoral behaviour.
If,as you say,it is that simple,then why have these issues not been resolved by society?
Obviously,it is not that simple and you are not a realist
YiagoLovesWiki

Richmond, KY

#102965 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. It is spelled Kolob:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob
What a surprise... Wiki: The Lazy person's online educational Rolodex.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
YiagosName

Richmond, KY

#102966 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You post under a lot of names.
Of course I do and you usually soil your panties when I use your name. I know it chafes.
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say Wiki was a "valid scientific source". It is an encyclopedia. It contains articles. The articles are *summaries* of topics. And at the bottom are usually a ton of links to the sources used in the article.
For purposes of casual internet discussions and debates Wikipedia is a good starting source of information.
It is sad that I have to explain this.
Now, if you think otherwise then here's a challenge. Go back to that Wiki page that was linked and show us where it is wrong. If Wiki is a terrible source of information then you should have no problem at all showing us all where the article is incorrect and providing us with supporting data.
Or you could just reply with another juvenile insult under a different name.
The point is you use Wiki as a means to validate your silly Topix debates as if you're a MENSA scholar proving your point with evidence from the Scientific Commons community. You consider Wiki valid; otherwise, you wouldn't use it as such a continual crutch.

It's laughable, yet predictable for you Topix polymaths who sit at home in your trailers, crusading via the forums, imagining you are changing the world and showcasing your unparalleled intelligence.
Of course, I have to ridicule you.

Just for fun, how about you and Mike post a South Park video from YouTube. Let us all glean some intelligence.

LOL
EthicalYiago

Richmond, KY

#102967 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I love ethics. It would be nice to have discussions about ethics on here, but I seriously doubt we could do it without wading through page after page of Bible thumping.
You could start your own thread entitled, "Ethics as defined by Wiki and YouTube."
That would draw in the scientists and intellectuals like hillbillies to whiskey, I'm sure.
AnotherName

Richmond, KY

#102968 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you could just reply with another juvenile insult under a different name.
It doesn't matter what name I use or you use to post on Topix. You know it's me and that's all that matters.
I've told you many times that the name under which we post is irrelevant. It's the content of the comment that people should debate. You can't ever get past the name and it's long been the subject of your continual whiny protests in an effort to avoid my actual comments.

It's funny though that you feel personally "insulted" simply because I ridiculed the use of Wiki in so called scientific or intellectual debate.
That speaks volumes about your credibility as a "scholar."
QuantummistsXana x

Richmond, KY

#102969 May 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You have had that answered several times.... Matter converted from energy... Now if it makes you feel better to say God caused the conversion at the BB that's fine, unnecessary but if it makes life simpler for you.... Those that understand science tend to go with energy just converted some of it's energy into matter, happens every second without someone waving a magic wand... But there is no Creation... From the instant matter converted all we observe was set into motion and physical laws took over...
Quanty, go ahead and explain to the YouTube boobs EXACTLY how the first matter formed.
If you say energy formed it, then explain how that particular energy came into existence first.
Avoid any circular reasoning that the Christians use. Let's hear it straight from the heart of Barbourville... how did matter and energy come into existence the very first time.
Don't use any references to magic either (poof, it just happened), and don't say you don't know, or that you're not 100% positive, or it "might have been" because, Quanty, we all know science has ALL the answers and YOU know everything.

I got my popcorn ready, and I'm waiting for you to end this big debate once and for all...
You can do it. Go, Quanty, Go!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#102970 May 8, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the evidence for this?
There isn't any therefore the Could Be part.... But of course I Don't Believe there was....
Quantummist

Richmond, KY

#102971 May 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
It could be round 10 Billion...
"could be"
Those are not the words of a scientific genius who knows all and is certain of all his answers.
People who KNOW don't have to guess.
Give some certainty, Quanty. Prove yourself to these hillbillies.
You can do it.
Quantummist

Richmond, KY

#102972 May 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Could Be.... But ...I Don't Believe....
So you don't know 100%?
Not much authority, Quanty. Do better.
Quantummist

Richmond, KY

#102974 May 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I would start with basic general science class and then take Physics, Geology, Chemistry courses to begin with before getting into the more esoteric sciences....
"Basic general science" then straight to physics, eh?
That's not the actual order in which the sciences are presented in school, Quanty.
I'm wondering if the only Physics study you've had was via a NOVA video on PBS, or perhaps you are a subscriber to the NOVA channel on YouTube.
Your posts display very little "evidence" of formal education in a classroom or research lab...
a meth lab, maybe.

Did they even offer Physics in your school way back then?
How stupid can you be

Richmond, KY

#102975 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad that you believe children are evil.
No I did not say that!
I said they/we are just sinners!
It's people that WANT to sin, that are Evil!
How stupid can you be

Richmond, KY

#102976 May 9, 2013
Farkus wrote:
Nice to see the Christian Apologists on here referencing verses from the Book of John on what God thinks about Homosexuals.
The verse that is used to HATE Homosexuals is in Leviticus. The same book that says that eating shellfish and hooved animals is an abomination, and that a woman who is on her period must sacrifice animals to cleanse herself before entering the Temple.
Do you Christians not even READ your own fairytale? No wonder you want it taught in schools.
Here is a great deal for you: I would have no problem teaching the Bible in public schools as long as ALL religious texts are taught AND all religions will start paying taxes and fund the classes. I'm sure the 'money changers' like Kenneth 'Jesus told me to buy a 20 million dollar jet' Copeland wouldn't go for that.
It'd be nice if you understood what you say you've read!
Can you say "New Testament"...
Try Romans 1!
Fact is, I am not a Jew... I'm a Gentile, so a lot
of those health laws do not really apply to us!
Having lived the vile lifestyle, I can squarely proclaim
that it is an abomination unto the Lord!
I've repented my life, and have been forgiven...
Those sins have NO hold on me anymore, and
I wish that for Every sinner!
Repent! You WILL be Glad you did!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102977 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Still assertions, yet still no evidence any of these are true.
Not to a blind Kitty with it's head in the bag!
Repent!
Call on the Name of the Lord, and
you WILL have ALL the Evidence you need!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102978 May 9, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be, if you could prove your god is real.
What?
Do you need Him to slap you up side the head to know
He's real?
Every breath I take since 04, tells me He is, as I know
He loved me enough to save me, and show me things I did not know!
Whatever evidence you need... I pray you open your eyes, and God gives it to you!
But you will never see it with your eyes closed!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#102979 May 9, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>No I did not say that!
I said they/we are just sinners!
It's people that WANT to sin, that are Evil!
That's stupid, because then that means no one, by your definition, is "evil."

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#102980 May 9, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Not to a blind Kitty with it's head in the bag!
Repent!
Call on the Name of the Lord, and
you WILL have ALL the Evidence you need!
Tried that, still no evidence.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102981 May 9, 2013
ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh what an"excuse" that would be for the twisted and warped.
Nope. The kids in the current admin need to grow up, take off their little muzac JayZ/Beyouncee whatever streaming earphones, get a clue, and realize, the offices the people of this nation voted them into, require them to WORK and have to EARN their tax payer paid for salaries too.
The fact that SOME of them are in over their heads (or that they are blind behind rose colored glasses or something) is so obvious with this latest show of lacking in leadership, is obvious.
The remains of a NON-citizen terrorist thug, who incited hell and havoc on a US city, should have NEVER made it's way to the private sector for handling.
Just another FAILED moment of NO domestic policy and clueless, on handling terrorists and terrorism out the current administration.
Just this week it will have to share the media streams with the Benghazi trial.
Shameful.
AGREED!
ALL terrorists should have never made it IN the US in the first place, He is Not a US citizen, so send him back to where he came from!
Amen!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
food stamps 11 min YOLO 39
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 12 min Awake 6,988
Chamges to Topix? 14 min Answer 2
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 19 min Uncle Tab 155,255
looking for t.c torries castle 31 min sky 17
Shirley Black from Flat Lick & Barbourville Area 1 hr Shirley black 3
Davis Boys Dead (Nov '13) 5 hr dizzyone1313 9

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]