Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,476

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102921 May 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's Called Evidence.... We have Evidence of the heavy bombardment period, we have Evidence of the early molten rock formations... We have Evidence the moon is moving away from the earth and can mathematically calculate it's distance early on... We know the gravitational Constance, We have millions of other stars and 100's systems to compare ours too.... We know that the sun is a 3rd generation star that has burned and blown up 2 times before and the matter from those explosions reformed to give us the star we orbit today....
Simply because you do not take the opportunity to study the many fields of science that allows us to know what reality is does not mean you can't start learning the basics anytime you wish... I would start with basic general science class and then take Physics, Geology, Chemistry courses to begin with before getting into the more esoteric sciences....
What esoteric science did you study,that gave you the ability to analyze the thinking process of tadpoles?
That might be the Science I'd be interested in learning about.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102922 May 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Tend to go,as you stated,is an opinion,not a fact.
Science has totally failed to explain how unliving matter was able to convert itself into living matter. That seems to be a fact.
Science is unable to show how unintelligent matter was able to evolve into intelligent matter,other than,some unexplainable event that may have taken place or billions of years ago
Here is an explanation given by
Professor Seth Grant, of the University of Edinburgh
The researchers suggest that a simple invertebrate animal living in the sea 500 million years ago experienced a 'genetic accident', which resulted in extra copies of these genes being made
"If the universe is non-intelligent, as in it does not contain any intelligence whatsoever, then how can the universe itself account for intelligent beings? If intelligence does not exist at some point, then it can never exist. Intelligence cannot come into being. If you say it can, the burden is on you to prove how. How can mindless matter possibly produce creatures with minds, with brains, with intelligence? No amount of time, natural selection, and chance can create intelligence out of nothing."
So it would seem that the foundation of your argument is not factual,is not based on any logical or probable deductions we can draw from it,other than,over a period of billions of years some how ,some way life was created from an unliving source and intelligence was created from an unintelligent source.
At least that is what I understand.....
Fossils,on which you place so much credibility,in no way shape or form,provide any evidence as to how life came into being or the origins of intelligence....
Therefore,if the foundation of your argument hinges on some probabilities that may or may not have occured,that were never observed,that can not be tested,how can any reasonable conclusions be drawn from that foundation
If intelligence must be created, then who created that intelligent creator?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102923 May 8, 2013
So true wrote:
I believe in the sun, even when it doesn't shine. I believe in love, even when it is not shown. I believe in God , even when he doesn't speak.
i believe in the sun because it presents itself. Love is an emotion, not a being or object.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#102924 May 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
What esoteric science did you study,that gave you the ability to analyze the thinking process of tadpoles?
That might be the Science I'd be interested in learning about.
Biology and comparative psychology..
LMAO

Richmond, KY

#102925 May 8, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
So, you think because "Berkeley" has a YouTube channel, YouTube is considered "scientific"? Really?

BWahahahaha!

It's worse than I thought.
LOL

Richmond, KY

#102926 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
And if you are not the poster I was replying to earlier, I apologize. But the point stands.
Yiago: The Wiki Researcher.

The YouTube Scientist!

Yiago says, "I got mah GED at Wiki and mah master's at YouTube. I'm edjumacated and can debate sci-entistical stuffs."
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102927 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe the claim of the resurrection was a lie but the authors of the bible just blindly believed the tale as you do?
Here is the answer to your question as posted by saywhut

"What would the motives be for these apostles to continue to teach Jesus' words? If He did not come back to visit them after death, why would they have reason to believe anything He told them?
So if Jesus would have died and not returned to them to show them that He indeed lives, they would have to be idiots to continue to teach His words and jeopardize their lives over it while remaining dirt poor. They gained nothing financially or socially by carrying on the spreading of the gospel. And almost all of them were killed for their doing so. If Jesus did not rise and speak to them, wouldn't they just have walked away, a little bitter even for wasting that much time of their lives and leaving their family?

Now,let me ask you this;You believe in Evolution;
Is that belief strong enough,that you would be willing to risk your freedom or life ,As the Apostles and other Christians did, for their beliefs? And why would you?
What's more,
If,you did not believe in evolution,would you be willing to risk your life and freedom by claiming that evolution was true?
And,Why would you?
LOL

Richmond, KY

#102928 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You do understand what Wikipedia is, right? It is a crowd-sourced online encyclopedia. If you look at the link you refused to read you will see a list of references at the bottom. This is analogous to a bibliography in a book or article. You can vet each and every one of them if you like.
So please educate us. What parts of the Wiki article are incorrect? Cite your own sources and explain why you think they are better.
Remember, the Wiki page is only a gateway to information. It is a summary, not a source. But you would be hard pressed to find a better and more universally accepted starting point for a casual debate than Wikipedia.
Now, do you have something to say about the content or was this just a matter of lazy dodging?
ROFL
Way to showcase your community college degree.

You missed the point.

You actually consider Wiki a valid scientific source. Isn't that a little more than sad?
I wonder how many scientists have to consult Wiki to verify their work.

"A gateway to information" Pardon my cackling.
Hey, it must be scientific research if any old Joe can post it on Wiki!

You go, debater! Post a YouTube link and it will really impress them.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102929 May 8, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>What is taught is...
Learning to care!
What does a child do when caught doing something???
It happens even when you've never told it NOT to do that thing!
They/we know something is wrong before being told...
Just lil sinners needing redemption!
In the early stages, they know not when they do wrong. Sometimes they just know your angry face.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102930 May 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
"What would the motives be for these apostles to continue to teach Jesus' words? If He did not come back to visit them after death, why would they have reason to believe anything He told them?
So if Jesus would have died and not returned to them to show them that He indeed lives, they would have to be idiots to continue to teach His words and jeopardize their lives over it while remaining dirt poor. They gained nothing financially or socially by carrying on the spreading of the gospel. And almost all of them were killed for their doing so. If Jesus did not rise and speak to them, wouldn't they just have walked away, a little bitter even for wasting that much time of their lives and leaving their family?
Is that belief strong enough,that you would be willing to risk your freedom or life ,As the Apostles and other Christians did, for their beliefs? And why would you?
What's more,
If,you did not believe in evolution,would you be willing to risk your life and freedom by claiming that evolution was true?
And,Why would you?
People die fighting for all sorts of causes. Some are religious some are not.
If Mohamed was not the true prophet, then why would the terrorists die for him? It is blind belief just as you have. Do you need to see a resurrection for your faith? If not, then why do you expect others to see it?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102931 May 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
What's more,
And,Why would you?
Evolution is not a philosophy. Their is no cause in evolution in which to fight for.
The ideas Jesus promoted was a revolt against the status quo. No matter if he was a deity, their was cause to fight.
Yiago-theWikiSch olar

Richmond, KY

#102932 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at the link you refused to read....
I'm not the original person you talked to, so I don't need or want to read your link.
I'm just ridiculing you because you deserve it.
When I see any "debater" citing Wiki or YouTube as his/her scientific "proof," thinking he's really showing his intellectual authority, it's hilarious.
Credibility is immediately flushed right down the toilet.

It's like flaunting a community college degree or a certificate from vocational school.

ROFL

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102933 May 8, 2013
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you think because "Berkeley" has a YouTube channel, YouTube is considered "scientific"? Really?
BWahahahaha!
It's worse than I thought.
A science class being video taped and posted on YouTube is no less science than being there in person.
When you say "reality" I am not sure you know the meaning.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102934 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If intelligence must be created, then who created that intelligent creator?
You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord,
“and my servant whom I have chosen,
so that you may know and believe me
and understand that I am he.
Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me.

11 I, even I, am the Lord,
and apart from me there is no savior.
12 I have revealed and saved and proclaimed—
I, and not some foreign god among you.
You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord,“that I am God.
13 Yes, and from ancient days I am he.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.
Cackle

Richmond, KY

#102935 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>A science class being video taped and posted on YouTube is no less science than being there in person.
Just because a science class is posted on YouTube, it does not make YouTube a scientific source.
The next Christian could upload a sermon and call YouTube a valid source of Christian instruction.

How about if I record a video off of YouTube onto my phone, then by proxy, my phone is a valid source of scientific knowledge, and I'll let you YouTube scholars toss that around.

ROFL
Guffaw

Richmond, KY

#102936 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say REALITY.

I said REALLY.

I'm not sure you know how to read.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#102937 May 8, 2013
Doll wrote:
<quoted text>They were all warned that the flood was coming but they would not believe Noah. They had every opportunity to go safely into the Ark. They refused and died.
So your god screwed up it's plans .... again. Not a very bright god.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102938 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>People die fighting for all sorts of causes. Some are religious some are not.
If Mohamed was not the true prophet, then why would the terrorists die for him? It is blind belief just as you have. Do you need to see a resurrection for your faith? If not, then why do you expect others to see it?
You either have not understood the basis for my faith or you are intentionally misrepresenting what I have stated in order to support your beliefs.
I have stated the reasons for my faith and if you have read my reasons and still are able to conclude that I have blind faith,you have a problem.

Whether the terrorists beliefs were based on blind faith,I can not tell.
There intentional actions which they knew would lead to the death of thousands of innocent persons,should have led them to question why their supposedly peace loving prophet wouild require such behaviour from his followers?

Remember Jesus said"False prophets will come in my name,By their fruits ,you shall know them

Nothing in the teachings of Jesus,suggests that he expects that type of behaviour from his followers,as you well know.

Do you need to see a resurrection for your faith?
No,I do not and I never said that I needed to see a ressurection .
I believe Jesus was ressurected and lives because if he were not alive and God did not exist,they would not have answered my prayers .

The fact that you refuse to accept my answers because you do not believe in God and consider my answers to be invalid,simply because you don't believe,
is beyond my control .

I am unable and unwilling to lie to you and provide you with the answer you want to hear
GWB

Roseville, CA

#102939 May 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.
The scripture you quote supports council of Nicaea 325 Trinity teaching. Do you think that is a misleading interpretation?

Is it only Trinitarians "scholars" who insist that John 1:1 should be translated "and the word was God"?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102940 May 8, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
The scripture you quote supports council of Nicaea 325 Trinity teaching. Do you think that is a misleading interpretation?
Is it only Trinitarians "scholars" who insist that John 1:1 should be translated "and the word was God"?
Let me tell you what I believe based on what I have read and experienced.
By The Trinity ,I assume you mean three eentities residing within 1 person,co sharing equal power,,,I don't believe so
Jesus never claimed to be equal to God the father.
He did what the father instructed him
&#9668; Mark 13:32 &#9658;

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father

But I have no right to say who will sit on my right or my left. God has prepared those places for the ones he has chosen."

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

I understand that,they may all reside within 1 person,but they do not all share equal power..Jesus and the holy Spirit are under God's sovereign power.
I could well be wrong.
Some churches believe in the trinity and others do not. At no time did Jesus say that one had to believe that each had equal power.
Nor did he insinuate that they were equal in power.
What he did say about the Holy Spirit is;
Matthew 12:...

Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men
Good question.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who will win for Knox County Jailer 2014 10 min John 19
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 13 min Tara baker 48
Police beatings? 56 min Betty 1
Sam Watts MUST GO! (Sep '12) 1 hr Good ol boy 57
Indictments 1 hr Tough 31
McDonald's girls (Jan '14) 3 hr Mcbeatdown 6
who will you vote for as jailer 3 hr you know 81
Sheila and Jennifer Brown 5 hr Inside 6
A Knox County woman is charged with child abuse. Fri Curiouswonderer 4
Barbourville Dating