Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,917)

Showing posts 98,321 - 98,340 of127,989
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I've said before how I think God was involved. I think He commanded Jesus and Michael to gather matter and form the solar system we live in. No clue how long it took. I don't think it was days, I think it was creation periods that were described as days.
He most likely used matter from other celestial bodies that were no longer in their original state or active.
Now can you answer, instead of just asking me again?
I never saw this answer before. So how did Jesus do this? Did he use magic?
Why do you think he did not just one of the billions of solar systems that exist?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I've said before how I think God was involved. I think He commanded Jesus and Michael to gather matter and form the solar system we live in. No clue how long it took. I don't think it was days, I think it was creation periods that were described as days.
He most likely used matter from other celestial bodies that were no longer in their original state or active.
Now can you answer, instead of just asking me again?
So everyone could have fit on the boat?
Why should they have to believe some dude about a flood?
Murder is murder, warned or not. If I warn you to move out of my way and you don't, if I shoot you, it is still murder.
But of course you have double standards for god morality. He can be evil and you call it good.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

DragonFly wrote:
Let's say you rent a house that happens to have a storm shelter. If a tornado hits the house but you refuse to use the storm shelter, would it be the landlord's fault if you died? Was he not a "good landlord" just because you didn't use the shelter?
God gave them an out. All they had to do was obey but they refused because of their eveil hearts. If we refuse to obey traffic laws, we get a ticket. Does that make the traffic cop evil?
<quoted text>
If the landlord made the tornado, then I would blame him.
You are making a false comparison.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus would need the priesthood to be able to perform certain ordinances. Since this was handed down from father to sons, bloodline linked from a prophet to Jesus is important. It was not important for this purpose that David was a king. This was just motivation to the Jews that maybe the messiah would put things back like it was when David was in charge. This was their motivation for expecting a king that would free them from Roman rule. It was also important that John the Baptist had a lineage linked to the priesthood as well. He had the authority to baptize because he held the Levitical priesthood that had been passed down.
Understand?
No, I do not understand. You have yet to show the logic of how your bloodline gives you more or less power in a priesthood. Do Mormons have a bloodline test for the priesthood? If not, then why have different standards?
Is this blood magic or something?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>There "was" no "void." There "was" no "before" time.
How can so many Christians be absolutely perplexed at the concept of "no time before time, no space before space" and simultaneously insist that they understand God? It is similar to saying that they can't grasp what a null set is, but can clearly picture infinity.
Show me -4 on a yardstick that hasn't been milled from a board that hasn't been cut from a tree that hasn't been planted yet.
So was there some universe in play before that died out and this is round 2?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Refer to my most previous post
I see no connection between that post and my question.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

DragonFly wrote:
Let's say you rent a house that happens to have a storm shelter. If a tornado hits the house but you refuse to use the storm shelter, would it be the landlord's fault if you died?
<quoted text>
If the landlord (somehow) made the tornado then yes it definitely would be the landlord's fault.

What am I missing?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Only because you do not know the science that is known of their formation.... Like a tadpole in a puddle... to the tadpole that does not know what the puddle was like before it was born in it, and not knowing what the puddle will be long after it's gone from it, the puddle seems perfect with all things in balance and made for the tadpoles existence in it... He doesn't know of when it was a dry lifeless depression in the seldom used road, he doesn't know of the car heading his way in a day or so... So when the tadpole observes his perfect watery universe he Knows that something had to make it so perfect....
You might have a different view if you were on Earth during the heavy bombardment period that lasted for millions of years where the earth was a red hot molten ball of lava being hit constantly by large hunks of rocks and ice... with a moon so close that there was tsunamis of red hot lava a mile high every 6 hours as the moon that filled a 1/4 of the sky passed by during the 6 hour night... All the while the poison gases around our puddle was being irradiated by solar charged particles hitting it without the protections of the Ozone layers...
You see the Puddle you are surrounded by and say the blobs are like clockworks never considering the view is only a 1/10,000th of a second view of the puddle....
Only because you do not know the science that is known of their formation.... Like a tadpole in a puddle... to the tadpole that does not know what the puddle was like before it was born in it, and not knowing what the puddle will be long after it's gone from it, the puddle seems perfect with all things in balance and made for the tadpoles existence in it... He doesn't know of when it was a dry lifeless depression in the seldom used road, he doesn't know of the car heading his way in a day or so... So when the tadpole observes his perfect watery universe he Knows that something had to make it so perfect....
You might have a different view if you were on Earth during the heavy bombardment period that lasted for millions of years where the earth was a red hot molten ball of lava being hit constantly by large hunks of rocks and ice... with a moon so close that there was tsunamis of red hot lava a mile high every 6 hours as the moon that filled a 1/4 of the sky passed by during the 6 hour night... All the while the poison gases around our puddle was being irradiated by solar charged particles hitting it without the protections of the Ozone layers...
You see the Puddle you are surrounded by and say the blobs are like clockworks never considering the view is only a 1/10,000th of a second view of the puddle....

I don't mean to sound unimpressed,your ability to describe how a tadpole thinks,was truly amazing.
Moreover,where you state that
"You might have a different view if you were on Earth during the heavy bombardment period etcetc"
implies that,someone actually witnessed those events,as you so vividly described them,mile high tsunamis,every six hours and so on,
If they were not witnessed,what is your basis for giving such a vivid and supposedly accurate description,
Or,are you being facetious,and merely trying to entertain us....
I hope so.....I like Science fiction and was a devout fan of the Twilight Zolne

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Farkus wrote:
<quoted text>THIS is funny. I know you're not into logic, but what is the reason God created Satan?

How did Satan get into the Garden?

God created ALL and is ALL powerful and he didn't see the Devil coming? Seems he has less power than Iron Man...

One more logic comment for you: Let me see if I have it correct...Jesus is God in the flesh, so GOD sent HIMSELF to be killed for OUR sins to save US from HIMSELF.

WOW!!!
Refer to my response to Mike for where Lucifer (Satan) came from.

No Jesus is not the Father. Jesus is the Son of God. They are two different beings. God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost are 3 separate beings who collectively make up the Godhead. They are one in purpose.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Doll wrote:
<quoted text>Now just where would I find a devout God fearing "immortal"? Foolish question..Do you think you are never going to die or what? Yes I said it. One day God will call you out. Ready or not. The older you get the better your chance of getting "the call".
Everyone dies. The chance of that is 100% whether you are 1 or 111 and it isn't because there is or is not a god. Wistfully wishing you won't "get the call" or dreading the cold hard fact that you will isn't a reason to make believe someone's 'soul' is going to scorch in a lake of brimstone or that yours will float around on clouds and play the harp forever and ever, amen.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

DragonFly wrote:
Because you fail to understand something does not mean it has no logic, it only means that you do not understand the logic in it. The reason that you fail to understand the logic is because you reject the notion that it could even be true so it's easier to reject the logic. Kinda like the people who thought the earth was flat back in Columbus's day. To them, it was illogical that the earth could actually be round. Wonder how they felt after Columbus didn't fall off the "edge of the earth"?
<quoted text>
How can I understand something when no one here has yet to even explain it?
How does the priesthood run in ones bloodline? Is the blood magic?
You guys answer questions that no one asked, while for some reason you think you are answering our questions.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

DragonFly wrote:
Because you fail to understand something does not mean it has no logic, it only means that you do not understand the logic in it. The reason that you fail to understand the logic is because you reject the notion that it could even be true so it's easier to reject the logic. Kinda like the people who thought the earth was flat back in Columbus's day. To them, it was illogical that the earth could actually be round. Wonder how they felt after Columbus didn't fall off the "edge of the earth"?
<quoted text>
They didn't think anything of it, other than "holy crap" there's a lot of land over there. Let's get it!". Everyone (pretty much) knew the world was a sphere by the time Columbus sailed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Just to clarify... There was no Time before the BB... Time is a Relative concept and on other than human scale applies to matter in motion relative to other matter in motion .. The very concept of Time started at what is called Time 0+ the Instant after the first particle of matter converted from the Unified Indefinable Energy Quantum....
So before that was just matter in motion that at some point reacted with each other to start the clock?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say that Charles Manson has a rabid fan club and they write the story of his life. Would you read that book and assume it is all literally true or would you take it with a grain of salt?
When I was a non believer,I most assuredly took it with more than a grain of salt. I did not want to hear about it,period.
But let's look at this fanclub,as you call it.
They spent about 3 years with Jesus and witnessed his works.He had told them about his upcomind death.
They had stated that they were willing to die with him..
But,when Jesus was arrested,they quickly ran away,Peter denied him. After Jesus was buried and his tomb was found to be empty and were told by Mary Magdalene that she had seen him,that he had risen,they did not believe her.
So,one needs to ask the question,If one does not believe that Jesus rose from the dead,why would one insist in preaching that he has?What would be the purpose?What price are you going to pay,for preaching something you believe to be a lie?Persecution by those who are in power,jailed and flogged.
Do you stand to make a financial gain?
But,if Jesus did rise from the dead,as they so ardently believed,that he was the son of God,then one would have a very legitimate reason for standing before the powers that be,and preach that which has been proven to you,by Him who made those claims.
One may be willing to die or suffer for what one believes to be true,but,one is not willing to die or suffer for that which one knows to be a lie.
Paul,whose trials and tribulations ,I am sure you are familiar with made a statement that had a tremendous impact on me
"
1 Corinthians 15:13-20
13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people MOST TO BE PITIED
Let me ask you this,What scientific evidence would YOU require,in order to believe in God?
What if the evidence you required was not sufficient to convince others? Then what?
And let us keep in mind,that Science,by it's very definition ,does not have the tools to provide such evidence.
I believe you,when you say that you want evidence,but,it appears to me that,you are looking in the wrong places for your answer
Maybe the claim of the resurrection was a lie but the authors of the bible just blindly believed the tale as you do?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So was there some universe in play before that died out and this is round 2?
It could be round 10 Billion...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>Let's say that Charles Manson has a rabid fan club and they write the story of his life. Would you read that book and assume it is all literally true or would you take it with a grain of salt?

When I was a non believer,I most assuredly took it with more than a grain of salt. I did not want to hear about it,period.
But let's look at this fanclub,as you call it.
They spent about 3 years with Jesus and witnessed his works.He had told them about his upcomind death.
They had stated that they were willing to die with him..
But,when Jesus was arrested,they quickly ran away,Peter denied him. After Jesus was buried and his tomb was found to be empty and were told by Mary Magdalene that she had seen him,that he had risen,they did not believe her.
So,one needs to ask the question,If one does not believe that Jesus rose from the dead,why would one insist in preaching that he has?What would be the purpose?What price are you going to pay,for preaching something you believe to be a lie?Persecution by those who are in power,jailed and flogged.
Do you stand to make a financial gain?
But,if Jesus did rise from the dead,as they so ardently believed,that he was the son of God,then one would have a very legitimate reason for standing before the powers that be,and preach that which has been proven to you,by Him who made those claims.
One may be willing to die or suffer for what one believes to be true,but,one is not willing to die or suffer for that which one knows to be a lie.
Paul,whose trials and tribulations ,I am sure you are familiar with made a statement that had a tremendous impact on me
"
1 Corinthians 15:13-20
13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people MOST TO BE PITIED

Let me ask you this,What scientific evidence would YOU require,in order to believe in God?

What if the evidence you required was not sufficient to convince others? Then what?

And let us keep in mind,that Science,by it's very definition ,does not have the tools to provide such evidence.

I believe you,when you say that you want evidence,but,it appears to me that,you are looking in the wrong places for your answer
What would the motives be for these apostles to continue to teach Jesus' words? If He did not come back to visit them after death, why would they have reason to believe anything He told them?
So if Jesus would have died and not returned to them to show them that He indeed lives, they would have to be idiots to continue to teach His words and jeopardize their lives over it while remaining dirt poor. They gained nothing financially or socially by carrying on the spreading of the gospel. And almost all of them were killed for their doing so. If Jesus did not rise and speak to them, wouldn't they just have walked away, a little bitter even for wasting that much time of their lives and leaving their family?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't mean to sound unimpressed...
Why do you copy and paste text (from the originator) that you already have quoted in your post?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Only because you do not know the science that is known of their formation.... Like a tadpole in a puddle... to the tadpole that does not know what the puddle was like before it was born in it, and not knowing what the puddle will be long after it's gone from it, the puddle seems perfect with all things in balance and made for the tadpoles existence in it... He doesn't know of when it was a dry lifeless depression in the seldom used road, he doesn't know of the car heading his way in a day or so... So when the tadpole observes his perfect watery universe he Knows that something had to make it so perfect....

So this time period could not have been part of the creation periods, being executed from the plan of a creator?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>

"You might have a different view if you were on Earth during the heavy bombardment period etcetc"
implies that,someone actually witnessed those events,as you so vividly described them,mile high tsunamis,every six hours and so on,
If they were not witnessed,what is your basis for giving such a vivid and supposedly accurate description,
Or,are you being facetious,and merely trying to entertain us....
I hope so.....I like Science fiction and was a devout fan of the Twilight Zolne
It's Called Evidence.... We have Evidence of the heavy bombardment period, we have Evidence of the early molten rock formations... We have Evidence the moon is moving away from the earth and can mathematically calculate it's distance early on... We know the gravitational Constance, We have millions of other stars and 100's systems to compare ours too.... We know that the sun is a 3rd generation star that has burned and blown up 2 times before and the matter from those explosions reformed to give us the star we orbit today....

Simply because you do not take the opportunity to study the many fields of science that allows us to know what reality is does not mean you can't start learning the basics anytime you wish... I would start with basic general science class and then take Physics, Geology, Chemistry courses to begin with before getting into the more esoteric sciences....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Doll wrote:
<quoted text>Mr.D. So what if YOU don't believe in anything? That is your loss not mine. It does not change the Truth. Most people don't want to believe in the things they are afraid of. It won't make it go away. I do not ask Mohammed because he has no power. He is a dead god.
I have no fear of your myth. Do you not fear the wrath of Zeus?
God has no power.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 98,321 - 98,340 of127,989
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

82 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 9 min Marie 16,113
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min olp 144,913
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 29 min EASTER 26,172
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 35 min Butt head 383
new restaurant at union plaza kentucky biscuit ... 1 hr croc 8
Barbourville topix 1 hr none of my buisnes but 4
Becky and Richard hicks 1 hr church member 2
KC Basketball Coach 1 hr KY Historian 61
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000