Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
98,301 - 98,320 of 128,733 Comments Last updated 5 min ago
DragonFly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

How would they realize that? Because you said it? What are you basing your wonderful insight on? Enlighten us with your wonderful wisdom, oh Wise One.
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious also thinks I "may be gary" just because I responded to his post.
Makes me think of the unfaithful husband who accuses his innocent wife of cheating.
Since he is doing it, he thinks everyone is...
I wonder if curious realizes that people who accuse others of doing something without any proof are generally doing that exact thing themselves.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
aWitchintheWoods"]<
By the way, I have done nothing that I need to feel guilty about. Try to get that through your thick head
That may be due to having a self imposed moral standard,set low enough to permit an anything goes attitude.
The lower the standard,the less you have to feel guilty about.
This is done,in order to justify ones false belief that the flaws in their human nature are virtues.
You can see that in criminal court proceedings.
The accused very seldom feels remorse , shame or guilt for their actions..
They do feel sorry,,,Sorry they got caught
This is like "What's My Line" Are you Rick Scott?- no, that's right, he was Columbia/HCA, not HSBC.
I hadn't thought much about the intriguing irony of born again sociopaths. I'm sure it would make a fascinating criminal psychology thesis.(NOT labeling or pointing any fingers, mind you - just generally musing about it.) No wonder Christians keep writing "hate the sin love the sinner" and "not perfect, just forgiven."

Have a nice day.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Farkus wrote:
Nice to see the Christian Apologists on here referencing verses from the Book of John on what God thinks about Homosexuals.

The verse that is used to HATE Homosexuals is in Leviticus. The same book that says that eating shellfish and hooved animals is an abomination, and that a woman who is on her period must sacrifice animals to cleanse herself before entering the Temple.

Do you Christians not even READ your own fairytale? No wonder you want it taught in schools.

Here is a great deal for you: I would have no problem teaching the Bible in public schools as long as ALL religious texts are taught AND all religions will start paying taxes and fund the classes. I'm sure the 'money changers' like Kenneth 'Jesus told me to buy a 20 million dollar jet' Copeland wouldn't go for that.
There are many things in the OT that are no longer valid. I know you have heard this. If so, this is considered baiting. If not, I'll be happy to talk to about the difference between the lesser law and the higher law.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>i just want to know how it could have started with god? Claiming god did it, answers no more questions than "nature did it".
I've said before how I think God was involved. I think He commanded Jesus and Michael to gather matter and form the solar system we live in. No clue how long it took. I don't think it was days, I think it was creation periods that were described as days.
He most likely used matter from other celestial bodies that were no longer in their original state or active.

Now can you answer, instead of just asking me again?
Doll

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If god murdered everyone on the planet in that flood, then I do not think he is good at all. In fact I call this evil.
Do you have evidence a good god exists?
They were all warned that the flood was coming but they would not believe Noah. They had every opportunity to go safely into the Ark. They refused and died.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Great to hear you are now curious about how nature works. If you wish to learn about it, the best way is to read science books. Maybe watch the science channel or something.
It is clear you have not done so as of yet, so it stands to reason why you have so many gaps of knowledge in which you insert a god.
This is not an answer. This is an "I don't know, go figure it out"

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Why? Maybe something triggered the conversion some 16 billion years ago, maybe not.... But why would that trigger require an invisible God to trigger it and not a simple natural event that happens constantly.... We live on a scale so small and fast as to be no more than a flash of light... If you use a 12 hour clock as the time scale of the universe all of human existence started and will end in less than 1/10,000th of a second...
Well to me, to get to our current state from blobs of matter would require an intelligent plan.
DragonFly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Let's say you rent a house that happens to have a storm shelter. If a tornado hits the house but you refuse to use the storm shelter, would it be the landlord's fault if you died? Was he not a "good landlord" just because you didn't use the shelter?

God gave them an out. All they had to do was obey but they refused because of their eveil hearts. If we refuse to obey traffic laws, we get a ticket. Does that make the traffic cop evil?
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If god murdered everyone on the planet in that flood, then I do not think he is good at all. In fact I call this evil.
Do you have evidence a good god exists?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>But why would it matter if it was a priesthood lineage? Point is, blood lines should not matter. It has no logic and you continually fail to even try to show the logic.
Jesus would need the priesthood to be able to perform certain ordinances. Since this was handed down from father to sons, bloodline linked from a prophet to Jesus is important. It was not important for this purpose that David was a king. This was just motivation to the Jews that maybe the messiah would put things back like it was when David was in charge. This was their motivation for expecting a king that would free them from Roman rule. It was also important that John the Baptist had a lineage linked to the priesthood as well. He had the authority to baptize because he held the Levitical priesthood that had been passed down.

Understand?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wrong with going back in time? I received a good answer from Q on the BB, so I asked what about just before that. Isn't that the logical step to take when asking these questions?
Just to clarify... There was no Time before the BB... Time is a Relative concept and on other than human scale applies to matter in motion relative to other matter in motion .. The very concept of Time started at what is called Time 0+ the Instant after the first particle of matter converted from the Unified Indefinable Energy Quantum....
Doll

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, let me guess - you believe that wee children should be taught about God's mercy.
If anything has been posted in the last several months that displays such a frothing rabid malice that I would cross the street rather than to share a sidewalk with an Xtian, this is it.
You don't want a 5th grade reply to a 5th century tirade. Understandable. Would it be a misconception that you believe most unbelievers are vile? You BLAME them for the exact same end stage horrors and agonies that beset some Christians. You even seem to HOPE for it. What a pleasant person. Hospice caregiver? Rough on the psyche, for sure. I'll keep you in my prayers.
"Your blasphemy will not keep God from taking you out?" What a loving God.
Animals do not sin, yet they die. The NATURAL order of life is seldom pretty. Show me a devout God fearing immortal and I'll show you a cult leading liar.
Now just where would I find a devout God fearing "immortal"? Foolish question..Do you think you are never going to die or what? Yes I said it. One day God will call you out. Ready or not. The older you get the better your chance of getting "the call".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>No please, this is fascinating. I await to hear why it matters what we did before we were born if we have zero knowledge of it? Do you keep avoiding my questions because your feelings are hurt or because you have no good answers?
I wasn't aware that I was avoiding any questions. I seem to post more than anyone else. To the point it probably annoys 90% of the audience.

Ok. Lets start over.
We are sons and daughters of our Heavenly Father. We lived with Him before coming here. We learned talents, developed personalities, etc. If you have more than 1 child, this would explain why they have completely different personalities that are noticeable all the way back to birth.
Just as puppies grow up to be dogs and kittens grow up to be cats, we are meant to grow up to be like Him.
So He developed a plan for this progression to continue. We could only progress so far without gaining a physical body. And we needed to learn things on our own too. So He told us of His plan: we will come to earth and gain a physical body. We will have our faith in Him tested by a veil over our remembrance of our time with Him. We would have freedom to chose our actions. Out of His presence, He knew sin would eventually enter the equation and then we would not be able to return home to live with Him. So a savior would be necessary to atone for those sins against righteousness. Jesus said to send Him. He would atone for those sins and make it possible to return and glorify God. He would let us have our free agency and thus realizing some may choose poorly.
Lucifer said to send him and he would strip is of free agency and force us to choose good. Then no one would be lost to sin. But since he would make this happen, he wanted the glory for himself and to dethrone the Father. This was the war in heaven as described in Revelations.
The Father chose the first and Lucifer rebelled. Many liked the idea that none would be lost so they sided with Lucifer. They rebelled against God and were cast out of heaven and lost their first estate.
You are here today because you chose to not follow Lucifer. Whether you actively chose Jesus, or you were a fence sitter, you are here and gained a physical body (which Lucifer and his angels will never have - which is why they are sometimes called angels, having no body). The second purpose continues: the test of faith. Will we gain the second estate? Eternity in God's Kingdom.
This is why it matters that we existed before here.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say that Charles Manson has a rabid fan club and they write the story of his life. Would you read that book and assume it is all literally true or would you take it with a grain of salt?
The authors of the New Testament were trying to establish a religion based on the life of a man. Treating their words as gospel (pun intended) would be a tremendous fallacy.
When the source of information has a strong chance of being overtly biased you need to seek evidence outside that source. I'm not saying the Bible is wrong, I'm saying the Bible is biased to the utmost degree.
Your reply to me is to just reiterate your faith. I have no use for faith in a debate about reality.
Show me your evidence, not your beliefs.
Let's say that Charles Manson has a rabid fan club and they write the story of his life. Would you read that book and assume it is all literally true or would you take it with a grain of salt?

When I was a non believer,I most assuredly took it with more than a grain of salt. I did not want to hear about it,period.
But let's look at this fanclub,as you call it.
They spent about 3 years with Jesus and witnessed his works.He had told them about his upcomind death.
They had stated that they were willing to die with him..
But,when Jesus was arrested,they quickly ran away,Peter denied him. After Jesus was buried and his tomb was found to be empty and were told by Mary Magdalene that she had seen him,that he had risen,they did not believe her.
So,one needs to ask the question,If one does not believe that Jesus rose from the dead,why would one insist in preaching that he has?What would be the purpose?What price are you going to pay,for preaching something you believe to be a lie?Persecution by those who are in power,jailed and flogged.
Do you stand to make a financial gain?
But,if Jesus did rise from the dead,as they so ardently believed,that he was the son of God,then one would have a very legitimate reason for standing before the powers that be,and preach that which has been proven to you,by Him who made those claims.
One may be willing to die or suffer for what one believes to be true,but,one is not willing to die or suffer for that which one knows to be a lie.
Paul,whose trials and tribulations ,I am sure you are familiar with made a statement that had a tremendous impact on me
"
1 Corinthians 15:13-20
13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people MOST TO BE PITIED

Let me ask you this,What scientific evidence would YOU require,in order to believe in God?

What if the evidence you required was not sufficient to convince others? Then what?

And let us keep in mind,that Science,by it's very definition ,does not have the tools to provide such evidence.

I believe you,when you say that you want evidence,but,it appears to me that,you are looking in the wrong places for your answer

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why? Why are believers more blessed? Why is believing without seeing rewarded?
Most claims that cannot be shown with evidence are not a good thing to blindly accept. But for some reason religion claims blindly accepting is a good trait to have.
None here has shown any logic to this point.
Refer to my most previous post
DragonFly

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Because you fail to understand something does not mean it has no logic, it only means that you do not understand the logic in it. The reason that you fail to understand the logic is because you reject the notion that it could even be true so it's easier to reject the logic. Kinda like the people who thought the earth was flat back in Columbus's day. To them, it was illogical that the earth could actually be round. Wonder how they felt after Columbus didn't fall off the "edge of the earth"?
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>But why would it matter if it was a priesthood lineage? Point is, blood lines should not matter. It has no logic and you continually fail to even try to show the logic.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Well to me, to get to our current state from blobs of matter would require an intelligent plan.
Only because you do not know the science that is known of their formation.... Like a tadpole in a puddle... to the tadpole that does not know what the puddle was like before it was born in it, and not knowing what the puddle will be long after it's gone from it, the puddle seems perfect with all things in balance and made for the tadpoles existence in it... He doesn't know of when it was a dry lifeless depression in the seldom used road, he doesn't know of the car heading his way in a day or so... So when the tadpole observes his perfect watery universe he Knows that something had to make it so perfect....

You might have a different view if you were on Earth during the heavy bombardment period that lasted for millions of years where the earth was a red hot molten ball of lava being hit constantly by large hunks of rocks and ice... with a moon so close that there was tsunamis of red hot lava a mile high every 6 hours as the moon that filled a 1/4 of the sky passed by during the 6 hour night... All the while the poison gases around our puddle was being irradiated by solar charged particles hitting it without the protections of the Ozone layers...

You see the Puddle you are surrounded by and say the blobs are like clockworks never considering the view is only a 1/10,000th of a second view of the puddle....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

Farkus wrote:
Gen. 25:1 "Then Abraham took a wife, and her name was Keturah."

1 Chron. 1:32 "Keturah, Abraham's concubine."

SO, WHICH was it (wife or concubine) you Christian Bible Scholars? WHICH?

This is simply ONE of hundreds of contradictions in the comic book that YOU say is the Word of God.

SILLY PEOPLE!

AND no I don't expect an answer, but thanks for playing!!
Concubine was like a secondary wife then. Their caste system was different than ours today. So there were women of higher standing that would be called a wife, and the lower to be called a concubine. But indeed they were like a secondary wife. So a loose synonym does not represent a contradiction.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

LEGIONS wrote:
<quoted text>Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I think it is evil to condemn homosexuality.
What Christian person is condemming the homosexual...I don't condemn the homosexual, I condemn the act itself as I don't condemn the murderer, but the act of murder,as I don't condemn the abuser but the act of abuse. These are all sins that can be forgiven in the eyes of the Lord, we as Christians love the sinner but hate the sin.
Murder is an act of abuse, homosexual acts are not. This is why you condemning it has no validity or value. It is simply your superstitious belief it is bad.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many things in the OT that are no longer valid. I know you have heard this. If so, this is considered baiting. If not, I'll be happy to talk to about the difference between the lesser law and the higher law.
Yes, please tell us, and show why their is so much dispute of what laws are to be enforced or followed? Seems Christians cannot agree on them, so is the Holy Ghost failing to be consistent?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I've said before how I think God was involved. I think He commanded Jesus and Michael to gather matter and form the solar system we live in. No clue how long it took. I don't think it was days, I think it was creation periods that were described as days.
He most likely used matter from other celestial bodies that were no longer in their original state or active.
Now can you answer, instead of just asking me again?
I never saw this answer before. So how did Jesus do this? Did he use magic?
Why do you think he did not just one of the billions of solar systems that exist?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

76 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min Obama Zombies 146,370
Beckoning Frontiers 30 min stephanie 2
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 51 min contempt 417
Artemus Road (Highway 225) 1 hr just me 2
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 1 hr culture vulture 16,118
Stivers Center fixes 2 hr smokejumper 54
Ronald Stevenson 4 hr stephanie 18
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search