Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,477

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#102840 May 8, 2013
Apple At Cha wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't miss the point whatsoever, you just want to ignore the reality of it. Religion isn't needed to be good. If it isn't necessary for good deeds and knowing right and wrong, then what is its purpose. Some humans are flawed - but not all. Not everyone lies, steals, and cheats because they can get away with it. And they don't need religion to keep them from doing it.
I never said being good got one their celestial carrot, but "not being good" definitely gets it taken away. You can proclaim "belief in Jesus" all day long, but your bible states you are known by your works and are to be accountable for your actions. They won't get you into heaven, but they CERTAINLY can get you refused entry. Thus, you have to do good in order to get in - whether you want to admit it or not. Additionally, given the parable of the talents, simply "hiding your talents" is deemed as just as bad as wasting them on bad acts.
Thus, we see:
1. Religion isn't needed to know right from wrong.
2. Christians either believe because they want a prize or fear the fire - both of which are self-serving.
3. True selfless acts are those done without regard of whether it gets you some afterlife prize or keeps you from burning.
Caring for Your soul is not self-serving!
We've been there, We've done that, and now...
we KNOW it was Wrong, and don't ever want to do it again...
Pleasing God is the ONLY thing that matters!
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102841 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Great to hear you are now curious about how nature works. If you wish to learn about it, the best way is to read science books. Maybe watch the science channel or something.
It is clear you have not done so as of yet, so it stands to reason why you have so many gaps of knowledge in which you insert a god.
<pea growing season on the Mattahorn> while in the meantime, pick any subject, reword it slightly, shamelessly insert biased opinion, add some hyperlink tags for off-subject digression and call it <insert more anything here>stupedia.

Dude, your rusty spoke's showing lol.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#102842 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Christians do not even try to be like Jesus.
And if the Christians are charged to heal the sick, your guys are doing a horrible job.
Yes, we do try to be like Jesus!
Do we fail? Yes!
Do we keep trying? Yes...
Unless... we we're not Christians in the first place!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102843 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If we cannot remember anything about living in a spirit life, then what does it matter? It is pointless.
Why would someone need a body in the spirit afterlife? Human bodies are evolved for earthly conditions.
But of course your story just sounds like some comic book fantasy tale as you go on an on with this.
I'll end it if you wish

Location hidden

#102844 May 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>You have had that answered several times.... Matter converted from energy... Now if it makes you feel better to say God caused the conversion at the BB that's fine, unnecessary but if it makes life simpler for you.... Those that understand science tend to go with energy just converted some of it's energy into matter, happens every second without someone waving a magic wand... But there is no Creation... From the instant matter converted all we observe was set into motion and physical laws took over...
I just think something would have had to trigger the conversion
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#102845 May 8, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
"What makes a Christian a Christian"
The ability to have faith that there are, burning bushes that talk, animals that have the gift of human language, property rights on women, no rights for gays, people who live in a whales stomach, no rights for non-believers, invisible critters that tempt and reward.
There's more of course but one word works.
Ignorance.
For you?... Yes!
Ignorance of God's existence!
We know He is real, and hope you find out too!
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

#102846 May 8, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh. That is what I said.
<quoted text>
Yes, the child knows by the LOOK on the parent's face when they are NOT supposed to be doing something. Words may not even be necessary.
A parent's disapproval is obvious to the child.
To a child, playing in feces, putting the cat in the toliet or pointing a loaded gun at your face are all the same UNTIL THEY LEARN DIFFERENTLY.
<quoted text>
According to you, you did lots of "wrong."
Too bad someone didn't raise you better.
Now you think you don't have any responsibility for what you've done.
Convenient religion much?
Wrong again!
I was taught right from wrong... I chose to do wrong until I learned to care!

A child with head turned away, and a steady calm voice saying
"What are you doing?" the child will hide, and lie about it!
Learning to "Care" about others is what keeps you right...
as I care about you, and every other sinner on this site...
God saved me... He will save you too...
Repent!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#102847 May 8, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I just think something would have had to trigger the conversion
Why? Maybe something triggered the conversion some 16 billion years ago, maybe not.... But why would that trigger require an invisible God to trigger it and not a simple natural event that happens constantly.... We live on a scale so small and fast as to be no more than a flash of light... If you use a 12 hour clock as the time scale of the universe all of human existence started and will end in less than 1/10,000th of a second...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#102849 May 8, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Not 'Just' morality, but the Love of a Good God!
Amen!
God Bless :-)
So genocide and mass murder is "good" to you. Don't become an atheist, you need that imaginary babysitter.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#102850 May 8, 2013
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong again!
Repent!
So you are saying you were not born with empathy ... there's a special word for people like that, and it's not a good word.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#102851 May 8, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Caring for Your soul is not self-serving!
We've been there, We've done that, and now...
we KNOW it was Wrong, and don't ever want to do it again...
Pleasing God is the ONLY thing that matters!
Yeah, but that's not what you're doing, is it? You are trying to get everyone to agree with you, using fear tactics (trying to) and bullying. The reason is because you don't want to admit your imaginary babysitter is really an extension of your own ego, and thus, when we deny it exists, you feel we are reminding you that you have no power. Your religion has taken all your own self worth away, so now you cannot tolerate being reminded of how powerless you are, thus, you cannot stand the atheists like me who remind you that you are powerless over everyone else.

In short, you are useless because you allowed religion to make you useless and now you have to force yourself to believe you are not useless.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#102852 May 8, 2013
<quoted text> Wrong again!
Hmmm...you are talking about your own childhood, aren't you?
Only a child who has already been taught guilt and fear will respond like that.
Even if they are doing nothing wrong, they may run and hide out of the fear that they MIGHT be doing something for which they will be punished.
<quoted text> Learning to "Care" about others is what keeps you right...
No! You don't "care!" (LOL, sounds like you, doesn't it?)

Your "caring" and "love" (under the guise of your moral superiority and special status as someone that a "god" converses with) have been duly noted.
I can do without it.
<quoted text> God saved me... He will save you too...
Repent!
"God saved me." You parrot that tired old refrain over and over.
You tell us "god" told you not to kill yourself.
That is the whole basis for your "repentance."

I guess you are not familiar with a behavior among animals called Self Preservation.
Open a science book and learn something.

By the way, I have done nothing that I need to feel guilty about. Try to get that through your thick head.
I am NOT you.

Location hidden

#102853 May 8, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>...if you can't fathom a "creation" without a "Creator," I guess you've just gotten stuck in a loop of incomprehension if you can't fathom a "creation" without a "Creator," I guess you've just gotten stuck in a loop of incomprehension if you can't fathom....

"got put in motion somehow?" There couldn't be a cause when there was no time prior to time.
So what existed before time? You think it's plausible that there was just a void, then time started on its own?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102854 May 8, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Because of priesthood lineage. The same reason Catholics believe their pope has authority.
The priesthood was passed down from father to sons since Adam. This is important because Jesus would need to come from the lineage that still held the priesthood. John was from this lineage too, which is how he had the authority to baptize.
Nothing to do with David being a king, other than everyone esteemed him to be a great king. He only had one sin, otherwise he was a perfect man.
But why would it matter if it was a priesthood lineage? Point is, blood lines should not matter. It has no logic and you continually fail to even try to show the logic.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102855 May 8, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, we do try to be like Jesus!
Do we fail? Yes!
Do we keep trying? Yes...
Unless... we we're not Christians in the first place!
From what I read if your posts, if you are acting like Jesus, then he was a rude person.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102856 May 8, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll end it if you wish
No please, this is fascinating. I await to hear why it matters what we did before we were born if we have zero knowledge of it? Do you keep avoiding my questions because your feelings are hurt or because you have no good answers?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102857 May 8, 2013
<quoted text>Wrong again!
Repent!
I wonder if Jesus started his statements with "wrong again sparky"? If you are trying to act like the jesus I read about in the bible, you have failed massively.
This leaves me to continue to believe,Christians do not usually try to be as Jesus.
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102858 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>From what I read if your posts, if you are acting like Jesus, then he was a rude person.
Faisel, Picot, Bueller?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102859 May 8, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Blessed are those that Have not seen, and still believe...
God saved me... I KNOW He is real... Wishing you did too!
Why? Why are believers more blessed? Why is believing without seeing rewarded?
Most claims that cannot be shown with evidence are not a good thing to blindly accept. But for some reason religion claims blindly accepting is a good trait to have.
None here has shown any logic to this point.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102860 May 8, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No!
Satan leads you to other gods...
You forget it was the God of Israel that gave us Jesus!
John
3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only-begotten
Son, that whoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have
everlasting life.
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but that the world through him may be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the
world, and men have loved darkness rather than light, because
their deeds were evil.
By your reasoning, Satan is all over the Middle East and India. Guess the Holy Ghost cannot find his way over there well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sheila and Jennifer Brown 14 min Nonsense 9
Warren and carmacks Monday nite debate 14 min Joker 1
Letter in mail from Sheriff candidate 29 min decided voter 5
who will you vote for as jailer 36 min change 85
Journey Through Hell (Oct '10) 43 min Bob 41
Journey threw hell 1 hr Bob 3
Police beatings? 1 hr voter 6
Indictments 1 hr John 35
Knox Co.Jail employees idicted 8 hr you know 49
A Knox County woman is charged with child abuse. Fri Curiouswonderer 4