Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,867

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Cackle

Richmond, KY

#102935 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>A science class being video taped and posted on YouTube is no less science than being there in person.
When you say "reality" I am not sure you know the meaning.
Just because a science class is posted on YouTube, it does not make YouTube a scientific source.
The next Christian could upload a sermon and call YouTube a valid source of Christian instruction.

How about if I record a video off of YouTube onto my phone, then by proxy, my phone is a valid source of scientific knowledge, and I'll let you YouTube scholars toss that around.

ROFL
Guffaw

Richmond, KY

#102936 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say "reality" I am not sure you know the meaning.
I didn't say REALITY.

I said REALLY.

I'm not sure you know how to read.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#102937 May 8, 2013
Doll wrote:
<quoted text>They were all warned that the flood was coming but they would not believe Noah. They had every opportunity to go safely into the Ark. They refused and died.
So your god screwed up it's plans .... again. Not a very bright god.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102938 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>People die fighting for all sorts of causes. Some are religious some are not.
If Mohamed was not the true prophet, then why would the terrorists die for him? It is blind belief just as you have. Do you need to see a resurrection for your faith? If not, then why do you expect others to see it?
You either have not understood the basis for my faith or you are intentionally misrepresenting what I have stated in order to support your beliefs.
I have stated the reasons for my faith and if you have read my reasons and still are able to conclude that I have blind faith,you have a problem.

Whether the terrorists beliefs were based on blind faith,I can not tell.
There intentional actions which they knew would lead to the death of thousands of innocent persons,should have led them to question why their supposedly peace loving prophet wouild require such behaviour from his followers?

Remember Jesus said"False prophets will come in my name,By their fruits ,you shall know them

Nothing in the teachings of Jesus,suggests that he expects that type of behaviour from his followers,as you well know.

Do you need to see a resurrection for your faith?
No,I do not and I never said that I needed to see a ressurection .
I believe Jesus was ressurected and lives because if he were not alive and God did not exist,they would not have answered my prayers .

The fact that you refuse to accept my answers because you do not believe in God and consider my answers to be invalid,simply because you don't believe,
is beyond my control .

I am unable and unwilling to lie to you and provide you with the answer you want to hear
GWB

Roseville, CA

#102939 May 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.
The scripture you quote supports council of Nicaea 325 Trinity teaching. Do you think that is a misleading interpretation?

Is it only Trinitarians "scholars" who insist that John 1:1 should be translated "and the word was God"?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102940 May 8, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
The scripture you quote supports council of Nicaea 325 Trinity teaching. Do you think that is a misleading interpretation?
Is it only Trinitarians "scholars" who insist that John 1:1 should be translated "and the word was God"?
Let me tell you what I believe based on what I have read and experienced.
By The Trinity ,I assume you mean three eentities residing within 1 person,co sharing equal power,,,I don't believe so
Jesus never claimed to be equal to God the father.
He did what the father instructed him
&#9668; Mark 13:32 &#9658;

"But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father

But I have no right to say who will sit on my right or my left. God has prepared those places for the ones he has chosen."

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

I understand that,they may all reside within 1 person,but they do not all share equal power..Jesus and the holy Spirit are under God's sovereign power.
I could well be wrong.
Some churches believe in the trinity and others do not. At no time did Jesus say that one had to believe that each had equal power.
Nor did he insinuate that they were equal in power.
What he did say about the Holy Spirit is;
Matthew 12:...

Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men
Good question.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102941 May 8, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
This is like "What's My Line" Are you Rick Scott?- no, that's right, he was Columbia/HCA, not HSBC.
I hadn't thought much about the intriguing irony of born again sociopaths. I'm sure it would make a fascinating criminal psychology thesis.(NOT labeling or pointing any fingers, mind you - just generally musing about it.) No wonder Christians keep writing "hate the sin love the sinner" and "not perfect, just forgiven."
Have a nice day.
It is one thing to be a sociopath,admit your many flaws,feel remorseful about your behaviour ,seeing yourself as you really are and seeking help in dealing with your faults. That is called,being a realist

It is something altogether different,to be a sociopath and,based on your self imposed standards ,deceive yourself into believing you need not feel guilt or shame about your immoral behaviour,while condeming it in others and then self proclaiming yourself as being a good person.
2 adjectives for that,being a hypocrite and delusional
Those who claim to have no sin,are noted by their arrogance and deceitful nature
(NOT labeling or pointing any fingers, mind you - just generally musing about it)

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#102942 May 8, 2013
ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you in jail or on house lock down somewhere in Europe, or are you just trolling for the free in-holes?
What in the world are you talking about? This is the second or third post I just read that makes no sense.

If you don't want to have a debate then stop talking. I'm not interested in this garbage.

Location hidden

#102943 May 8, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said, if I'm right and the spirit is its own entity that can exist outside the body, then the brain would show no activity because the spirit is gone from it.
What's Colob?
Sorry. It is spelled Kolob:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob

"Kolob is a star or planet described in Mormon scripture. Reference to Kolob is found in the Book of Abraham, a work that is traditionally held by adherents of the Mormon faith as having been translated from some Egyptian papyrus scrolls by Joseph Smith, the founder of the Latter Day Saint (LDS) movement. According to this work, Kolob is the heavenly body nearest to the throne of God. While the Book of Abraham refers to Kolob as a "star",[1] it also refers to planets as stars,[2] and therefore, some LDS commentators consider Kolob to be a planet.[3]"

Of course, as it turns out, the Egyptian scrolls don't say anything at all about Kolob, Abraham, or anything else Smith wrote.

Location hidden

#102944 May 8, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wrong with going back in time? I received a good answer from Q on the BB, so I asked what about just before that. Isn't that the logical step to take when asking these questions?
Sure. Science asks questions all over the place. Backward, forward, sideways. But I suspect your reasons are not about learning science, but about securing a "Gotcha" moment. When a person says that science doesn't know this or that answer you insert God.

Its the way Creationists work. I don't know if you subscribe to Creationism or not, but this is one of their tactics.

Meanwhile, as I pointed out, a Creationist believes in magic, ghosts, and zombies. Yet its the science folks who are crazy?

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#102945 May 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It is one thing to be a sociopath,admit your many flaws,feel remorseful about your behaviour ,seeing yourself as you really are and seeking help in dealing with your faults. That is called,being a realist
It is something altogether different,to be a sociopath and,based on your self imposed standards ,deceive yourself into believing you need not feel guilt or shame about your immoral behaviour,while condeming it in others and then self proclaiming yourself as being a good person.
2 adjectives for that,being a hypocrite and delusional
Those who claim to have no sin,are noted by their arrogance and deceitful nature
(NOT labeling or pointing any fingers, mind you - just generally musing about it)
You really can't understand that a person can be moral and ethical without an imaginary parental figure standing over them, can you?

It's not that hard.
Simply never act in a manner that would cause you discomfiture.

Embarrassed to be caught in a lie? Then DON'T lie.
Uncomfortable to be seen stealing? Then DON'T steal.
Distressed to be found cheating? Then DON'T cheat.

See? Simple. I'm about the realist "realist" you will meet.

Location hidden

#102946 May 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's say that Charles Manson has a rabid fan club and they write the story of his life. Would you read that book and assume it is all literally true or would you take it with a grain of salt?
When I was a non believer,I most assuredly took it with more than a grain of salt. I did not want to hear about it,period.
But let's look at this fanclub,as you call it.
They spent about 3 years with Jesus and witnessed his works.He had told them about his upcomind death.
They had stated that they were willing to die with him..
But,when Jesus was arrested,they quickly ran away,Peter denied him. After Jesus was buried and his tomb was found to be empty and were told by Mary Magdalene that she had seen him,that he had risen,they did not believe her.
So,one needs to ask the question,If one does not believe that Jesus rose from the dead,why would one insist in preaching that he has?What would be the purpose?What price are you going to pay,for preaching something you believe to be a lie?Persecution by those who are in power,jailed and flogged.
Do you stand to make a financial gain?
But,if Jesus did rise from the dead,as they so ardently believed,that he was the son of God,then one would have a very legitimate reason for standing before the powers that be,and preach that which has been proven to you,by Him who made those claims.
One may be willing to die or suffer for what one believes to be true,but,one is not willing to die or suffer for that which one knows to be a lie.
Paul,whose trials and tribulations ,I am sure you are familiar with made a statement that had a tremendous impact on me
"
1 Corinthians 15:13-20
13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. 15 More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people MOST TO BE PITIED
Let me ask you this,What scientific evidence would YOU require,in order to believe in God?
What if the evidence you required was not sufficient to convince others? Then what?
And let us keep in mind,that Science,by it's very definition ,does not have the tools to provide such evidence.
I believe you,when you say that you want evidence,but,it appears to me that,you are looking in the wrong places for your answer
1) You are still using the Bible itself as proof of the Bible itself. It's circular, see? You need confirming evidence outside the Bible. I don't care if it was written in Luke that Jesus lifted a VW bus and a thousand people saw it. You need confirming evidence outside Luke to even begin to say it might have happened that way.

Christianity is sorely lacking evidence outside its own internal set of writings. And since those writings describe miracles we know scientifically are HIGHLY unlikely to be true we cannot just take it on faith.

2) To answer your question about what it would take to believe in God: evidence. Lots of evidence. The kind of evidence we accept for other things. But you are right. The nature of God, as described by believers, is well outside the domain of science. It is absolutely identical to fantasy.

Location hidden

#102947 May 8, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL
Way to showcase your community college degree.
You missed the point.
You actually consider Wiki a valid scientific source. Isn't that a little more than sad?
I wonder how many scientists have to consult Wiki to verify their work.
"A gateway to information" Pardon my cackling.
Hey, it must be scientific research if any old Joe can post it on Wiki!
You go, debater! Post a YouTube link and it will really impress them.
You post under a lot of names.

I didn't say Wiki was a "valid scientific source". It is an encyclopedia. It contains articles. The articles are *summaries* of topics. And at the bottom are usually a ton of links to the sources used in the article.

For purposes of casual internet discussions and debates Wikipedia is a good starting source of information.

It is sad that I have to explain this.

Now, if you think otherwise then here's a challenge. Go back to that Wiki page that was linked and show us where it is wrong. If Wiki is a terrible source of information then you should have no problem at all showing us all where the article is incorrect and providing us with supporting data.

Or you could just reply with another juvenile insult under a different name.

Location hidden

#102948 May 8, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
You really can't understand that a person can be moral and ethical without an imaginary parental figure standing over them, can you?
It's not that hard.
Simply never act in a manner that would cause you discomfiture.
Embarrassed to be caught in a lie? Then DON'T lie.
Uncomfortable to be seen stealing? Then DON'T steal.
Distressed to be found cheating? Then DON'T cheat.
See? Simple. I'm about the realist "realist" you will meet.
I love ethics. It would be nice to have discussions about ethics on here, but I seriously doubt we could do it without wading through page after page of Bible thumping.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102949 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, please tell us, and show why their is so much dispute of what laws are to be enforced or followed? Seems Christians cannot agree on them, so is the Holy Ghost failing to be consistent?
Which do you have a question on?

Location hidden

#102950 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I never saw this answer before. So how did Jesus do this? Did he use magic?
Why do you think he did not just one of the billions of solar systems that exist?
By the Holy Priesthood.
I can't understand your last question. Can you reword?

Location hidden

#102951 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So everyone could have fit on the boat?
Why should they have to believe some dude about a flood?
Murder is murder, warned or not. If I warn you to move out of my way and you don't, if I shoot you, it is still murder.
But of course you have double standards for god morality. He can be evil and you call it good.
Was this to someone else? I haven't mentioned Noah
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102952 May 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
1) You are still using the Bible itself as proof of the Bible itself. It's circular, see? You need confirming evidence outside the Bible. I don't care if it was written in Luke that Jesus lifted a VW bus and a thousand people saw it. You need confirming evidence outside Luke to even begin to say it might have happened that way.
Christianity is sorely lacking evidence outside its own internal set of writings. And since those writings describe miracles we know scientifically are HIGHLY unlikely to be true we cannot just take it on faith.
2) To answer your question about what it would take to believe in God: evidence. Lots of evidence. The kind of evidence we accept for other things. But you are right. The nature of God, as described by believers, is well outside the domain of science. It is absolutely identical to fantasy.
No,I don't need confirming evidence outside the Bible,
It is you,that wants confirming evidence outside the Bible.
It is absolutely identicalto fantasy,only to those who donot understand the basis for our faith.
Since they are not able to understand it,their only solution in dealing with it is to dismiss it as magic,goosey feelings,blind faith, or that we are being deceived by our minds,none of which are true.
But,those who do not understand and have never experienced or practiced the basis for our faith,have somehow convinced themselves,that they are the experts on that subject and are therefore qualified to interpret,according to their opinions,why and what we should believe in...
Atheists keep regurgitating the same cliches,
"We talk about God because you are trying to force Bible Study in public schools."
I don't see that topic being publicly discussed. It is only,marginally discussed here.
All I keep reading from Atheists is their opinions as to why God does not exist,as if they feel a need to convince themselves that their beliefs are valid.
If you don't believe in God,then accept that you don't believe in God and stop asking for evidence that would prove his existence.
If you want that evidence,I can only tell you where you can get it,I can not get it for you.

Location hidden

#102953 May 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>No, I do not understand. You have yet to show the logic of how your bloodline gives you more or less power in a priesthood. Do Mormons have a bloodline test for the priesthood? If not, then why have different standards?
Is this blood magic or something?
It isn't about bloodline. It's about the father to son continuation of the priesthood.
IncompetanceIs

London, KY

#102954 May 8, 2013
Q:How many us prezidinks and us atty genuruls do it takes ta figure out wut to do with the remains of a NON US citizen Terrorist?

A: Lets axe a wikistupedia cwystal bawl while we waits ta seez!!

(AKA-why the h-e-duel hockey sticks, are private citizens having to have ANYthing to do with ANYthing having to do with "what to do with the remains of a NON US citizen terrorist")

OR
Question of the WEEK...and counting....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kids free glasses and hearing checked 24 min aaa 8
truck payments 41 min Get a life 13
To the Garland family 47 min Just saying 1
Jesus Was Not A Jew (Aug '10) 1 hr Dan 120
missing pit bull 4 hr not joking 8
barbourville teen: snake in the grass 4 hr Tom Anderson 2
Need food badly 5 hr lol 31
Porsche mills 6 hr Info 21
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 6:00AM
Jaguars vs Titans: Full NFL 'Thursday Night Football' Preview and Prediction
Bleacher Report 8:00 AM
Thursday Night Football Week 16: TV Schedule, Live Stream for Titans vs. Jaguars
Bleacher Report10:57 AM
After 13 Games on the Bench, Browns Need to Show Patience with Johnny Manziel
Bleacher Report11:59 AM
Jaguars Break Their Underdog Streak
NBC Sports12:40 PM
George Iloka: We can't do what we did last week and apply it to Peyton Manning