Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
98,181 - 98,200 of 128,629 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago
Charm

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

People stop arguging!!!!! Not getting any where !!!!! you believe what you want to and go on!!! Not worth getting stressed out no one is going to change anyones minds here !!!!

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It does for Joseph. Are you asking why not for Mary?
From what I understand, joseph is not the father of Jesus, so why would his blood line matter? And I am pretty sure the bible lists both Mary and Joe's bloodline. Do I need to look it up for you?
But really, why would a kings bloodline matter period? It all reeks of monarchy. Thus logic shows the story is but an ancient superstitious tale.

“There's more than one religion”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1) And one doesn't need religion to teach one right from wrong. If one doesn't know right from wrong, one lacks empathy - not religion.
I believe you are missing the mark,it is not a question of knowing right from wrong.
The question is,when we are about to commit a wrongful act, and, we know it is wrong,why do we go ahead and commit it anyway?
When we steal,we know it is wrong,yet we do it anyway
When we lie,we know it is wrong,we do it anyway
And the list goes on....
That is because our human nature is flawed. So we know right from wrong,but,are unable to do that which is right.
If we were able ,on our own,to correct the many flaws we have,we would do so.
2) And if one needs offer of a celestial prize in order to be good, they are selfish and will never truly be selfless.
Your allegation is false,based on your misunderstanding of Scripture. You do not attain heaven by being good....If you have read there bible,then you would know that what you are alleging is false.
Most assuredly it is not based on the Teachings Of Christ,which is what we base our beliefs on.
If they need threat of eternal damnation, they are just as self-serving - as their "good acts" are only to keep their tail from the fire and not out of a true spirit of empathy
All that you have stated,is based on your opinion,which is based on your misinterpretation of that which is written is the Scriptures.
Therefore,since the foundation of your conclusions is false,that same can be said of your conclusions
I didn't miss the point whatsoever, you just want to ignore the reality of it. Religion isn't needed to be good. If it isn't necessary for good deeds and knowing right and wrong, then what is its purpose. Some humans are flawed - but not all. Not everyone lies, steals, and cheats because they can get away with it. And they don't need religion to keep them from doing it.

I never said being good got one their celestial carrot, but "not being good" definitely gets it taken away. You can proclaim "belief in Jesus" all day long, but your bible states you are known by your works and are to be accountable for your actions. They won't get you into heaven, but they CERTAINLY can get you refused entry. Thus, you have to do good in order to get in - whether you want to admit it or not. Additionally, given the parable of the talents, simply "hiding your talents" is deemed as just as bad as wasting them on bad acts.

Thus, we see:
1. Religion isn't needed to know right from wrong.
2. Christians either believe because they want a prize or fear the fire - both of which are self-serving.
3. True selfless acts are those done without regard of whether it gets you some afterlife prize or keeps you from burning.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So when did "space time" begin, and how?
Keep moving that goal post back. Now when are you going to tell us when and how god was created and who did it? Then tell us when space time was created by god and how he did it?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>
QH theory is a promising new start in this general direction. Its ramifications and implications are profound. For instance, because of the QH model, science can no longer ignore subjectivity, metaphysics, parapsychology, or issues previously relegated to religion or mysticism. Nor can science any longer ignore the presence or importance of consciousness or thought in its relationship to physical matter. It must consider the strong possibility that the natural and the supernatural are one and the same thing, which renders the dualistic worldview of Newton and Descartes completely obsolete.
http://www.quantrek.com/quantum_hologram/quan...
Holographic cosmic overmind, fractal universe(s)...
"Fact is stranger than fiction" and never say never... I'm not a great proponent of an overwhelming majority of the new age philosophies and tend to hold to the adage, "it's great to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." Then again, just because I'M certain I'M right it doesn't automatically follow that i'm even close.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, this would be very confusing if you weren't following posts for several weeks.
I am thinking out loud here. I don't know for sure so this is just my own thoughts.
But I believe that we are spirit children of our Father in Heaven. We were sent here to have our faith in Him tested and also to gain a physical body. Our spirit lived before our time here (which would explain verses like in Jeremiah that say before he was born, God knew him). And our spirit will live on after our death. We will be resurrected at one day and our spirit and perfected body will be reunited again. Since we are created in God's image and will one day be joint heirs with Jesus Christ one day (if we follow all God's commantments), this lends me to believe that we will be like Him one day in the eternities. Though we will always be subject to Him, we are progressing to become like Him. To inherit all that He has means His knowledge and powers as well. To become more like Him would mean that we would someday perform as He does. This presents the idea of a family continuation. Jesus told us "ye are gods". So this makes sense that someday we would be like the Father (though still subject to Him).
So with this in mind, it is possible that our God, the Father of our spirits, also has a Father.
Hope that makes sense a little.
If we cannot remember anything about living in a spirit life, then what does it matter? It is pointless.
Why would someone need a body in the spirit afterlife? Human bodies are evolved for earthly conditions.
But of course your story just sounds like some comic book fantasy tale as you go on an on with this.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It could be a matter of relevance. He is the only god we should be concerned with, because He created us and we are subject to Him. Maybe relate it to "well Jimmy's dad lets him do it", and the answer being "I don't care what Jimmy's dad does, I'm your father"
I'm totally going out on a limb with this whole thought, so this is just me thinking out loud. I like to think outside the box sometimes.
And I believe that Jehovah (YHWH) was Jesus. The Father and Jesus were both a part of the creation (as demonstrated by terms like we and us in Genesis), but once sin was introduced, man was no longer worthy to be in the presence of the Father. Thus Jesus became our mediator and still is to this day. So the parts of the OT you refer to where God says He is a jealous God and He reacts to the bad actions of the people, seem to me like Jesus was maturing as He progressed before His coming to earth. Someone mentioned that to me one time and it stuck with me. Never know, there could be some validity there.
So the god of the OT was immature? Yes he was, thus he is not worthy of god status.
You have a lot of excuses for god.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did not come to heal all sickness and afflictions, He came to fulfill the Law of Moses, atone for all sin, and make it possible to return to live with our Father in Heaven. He showed us how to use the priesthood power to heal afflictions and charged us all to serve each other in the same manner as He did. Sadly, people as a whole do not follow these teachings.
Christians do not even try to be like Jesus.
And if the Christians are charged to heal the sick, your guys are doing a horrible job.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know how my spiritual journey is different from that of Cassius Clay,Cat Stephens or Lew Alcindor.
I can not speak about their experiences,I can only speak about my personal experiences.
I stopped looking for an answer because I believe I found the answer,tested it,at no time has it failed me,
"If ye abide in me,and my words abide in you,ye shall ask what you will,and it will be done unto you
If you keep my commandments,you will abide in my love ,even as I have kept my fathers commandments and abide in his love.
Well,sometimes we might be aware of our faults,but unable or unwilling,to do anything about them....
That's fine. Some people find solace in a certain sense of spatial awareness, and they attribute that to God. I attribute it to more clinical causes. Be that as it may, it is an individual's personal prerogative. I'm not trying to rain on a parade - as I've stated before, I just vehemently oppose the suggestion that the government has any justification in indoctrinating schoolchildren into ANY specific theologies.
There have been some posts about being happy. I find that happiness requires balance, and that balance is centered when what you need and what you want are the same thing.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

They tell lies about Christians and the Bible; that's why it's not wise to follow their bible study.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>A double negative? You can't show that there IS a "Him," therefore I can't show how it was started without a "Him?" It feels less like a stalemate than one of us is playing checkers and the other is playing chess.
Physics and logic do not always seem to happily co-exist, yet you would like to presume that "before" space and time, God was "there."
I just want to know how things began without Him. This whole charade got put into motion somehow.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I really doubt man will be around when the moon gets to far away, but who knows? Maybe lookup some projections.
You know how the moon came to be? It is fascinating science. That perfect orbit to claim we have caused a moon sized object to collide with earth. The debris from this collision molded together by gravity to form our moon.
Gravity can do a lot.

I think they measure it with lasers reflecting on mirrors the astronauts put on the moon.

The moon was once in a very close orbit from us. The moon would have looked huge in those days.
Yes I've seen that theory of he moon. It seems to be the most accepted theory.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>From what I understand, joseph is not the father of Jesus, so why would his blood line matter? And I am pretty sure the bible lists both Mary and Joe's bloodline. Do I need to look it up for you?
But really, why would a kings bloodline matter period? It all reeks of monarchy. Thus logic shows the story is but an ancient superstitious tale.
Because of priesthood lineage. The same reason Catholics believe their pope has authority.
The priesthood was passed down from father to sons since Adam. This is important because Jesus would need to come from the lineage that still held the priesthood. John was from this lineage too, which is how he had the authority to baptize.
Nothing to do with David being a king, other than everyone esteemed him to be a great king. He only had one sin, otherwise he was a perfect man.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want to know how things began without Him. This whole charade got put into motion somehow.
You have had that answered several times.... Matter converted from energy... Now if it makes you feel better to say God caused the conversion at the BB that's fine, unnecessary but if it makes life simpler for you.... Those that understand science tend to go with energy just converted some of it's energy into matter, happens every second without someone waving a magic wand... But there is no Creation... From the instant matter converted all we observe was set into motion and physical laws took over...

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
...if you can't fathom a "creation" without a "Creator," I guess you've just gotten stuck in a loop of incomprehension if you can't fathom a "creation" without a "Creator," I guess you've just gotten stuck in a loop of incomprehension if you can't fathom....

"got put in motion somehow?" There couldn't be a cause when there was no time prior to time.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I would think this answer could apply to any god or deity ever invented. This is why jews, hindu's and Muslims do not look for a Christ.
This is why it makes no sense to me that your Christ demands to be believed in. Thus I conclude your Christ is more likely a myth.
I cannot accept a Christ is that unreasonable.
I trust logic.
That answer could apply to any god or deity REAL or imagined.
Question is,what criteria does one use in order to determine whether that entity is real .
God provides us all with the instructions as to how we may find him.they are found in the bible.
He also teaches us about bringing our problems to him and what it takes to get a response as to how that problem can be resolved.
I tested them and found they worked...BUT THAT IS NOT ALL
Let me give you an example;
I had read the following quite a few times and had no idea what they meant;

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. LET NOT YOUR HEARTS BE TROUBLED AND BE YOU NOT AFRAID

“I tell you the solemn truth, unless a person is born of water and spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I said to you,‘You must be born from above.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

After I am gone,I will send the holy spirit and it will guide you to all truth

Moreover, I could not understand,why,Jesus,after being flogged,spit on and forced to carry his cross,on the way to being crucified,could only say about those responsible"Forgive them father,for they do not know what they do

Then one day in 1981,I was praying and suddenly I had this awesome feeling of an inner peace,joy and serenity that was overwhelming. A feeling I could have never imagine existed and which I had no idea how or why I felt as I did
As I am trying to understand what is happening,Iam made aware of the answer to those 4 things over which I was confused.
The peace of Christ,which surpasses human understanding and reassures us not to be troubled or afraid.
I could now understand why Jesus,on his way to be crucified,could say,forgive them Father,for they do not know what they do.
and I could understand what he said about the holy spirit
The wind blows wherever it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

Now,I know some will analyze this and attribute it to snake oil,magic,mental disorders,my mind deceiving me and so on....
But I,who experienced it,am the only one qualified to express an opinion based on the facts.

God and Christ have proven themselves,kept their promises,performed as they claimed they would and by doing so have strengthened my faith in .
When something is working perfectly,no need to look or change
How stupid can you be

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

stinky toe cheese wrote:
1st Peter: Chapter 5
6: Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
7: Casting all your care upon him: for he careth for you.
8: Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
10:But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
11: To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Amen!
How stupid can you be

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. I think it is evil to condemn homosexuality.
We do not condemn Homos...
That's God's job!
John
3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the
world, but that the world through him may be saved.
3:18 He that believeth on him, is not condemned: but he that
believeth not, is condemned already, because he hath not
believed in the name of the only-begotten Son of God.
3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the
world, and men have loved darkness rather than light, because
their deeds were evil.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
That's fine. Some people find solace in a certain sense of spatial awareness, and they attribute that to God. I attribute it to more clinical causes. Be that as it may, it is an individual's personal prerogative. I'm not trying to rain on a parade - as I've stated before, I just vehemently oppose the suggestion that the government has any justification in indoctrinating schoolchildren into ANY specific theologies.
There have been some posts about being happy. I find that happiness requires balance, and that balance is centered when what you need and what you want are the same thing.
I don't believe it is the governments job or resposibility to teach my children about God

As a parent,I don't believe I should tell my children that God exists..
It is my responsibility to TEACH them about God,the reasons for my belief in God,my faith in God based on my personal experiences,not on the opinions or views of others
I also vehemently oppose the suggestion that the government has any justification in indoctrinating schoolchildren into ANY specific theologies,including Evolution.
So,if you teach one,you need teach the other or teach neither.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I see faith, as it pertains in the religious sense is a belief of something that has zero evidence. I sometimes make this more clear by calling it blind faith.
Now what I find strange is, some live their whole lives based upon the claims that are of blind faith.
Blessed are those that Have not seen, and still believe...
God saved me... I KNOW He is real... Wishing you did too!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

70 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Stivers Center fixes 12 min aaa 39
Step Chid after divorce 32 min Ex Wife 1
teresa johnson where did the thread go ? (Dec '12) 1 hr Just me 4
Ky Biscuit Company 1 hr GetALife 24
Any couples into SCAT??? 1 hr whats up 10
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr scirocco 146,213
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 2 hr Jennifer Renee 3,788
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••