Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
98,161 - 98,180 of 130,501 Comments Last updated 20 min ago

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102735 May 7, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My God has already revealed himself to me,by my following his instructions and has proven to me that I can believe in him and trust him,,,,,Whw would I waste my time searching for something I have already found?Seems to me, that would be illogical.
On the other hand,if I kept searching for somthing I thought I would not be able to find,in the hope that I would find it,that,to me,is not illogical,that is being persistent...
Be persistent in prayer SEEK and you will find....
I would think this answer could apply to any god or deity ever invented. This is why jews, hindu's and Muslims do not look for a Christ.

This is why it makes no sense to me that your Christ demands to be believed in. Thus I conclude your Christ is more likely a myth.

I cannot accept a Christ is that unreasonable.

I trust logic.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102736 May 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Funny the people who study this stuff (scientists) typically see no need of a god for gravity to coalesce objects together in such orbits.
The Milky Way galaxy has at least one hundred billion solar systems with planets orbiting suns. The universe has at least one hundred billion galaxies.
There needs to be no magic involved.
I agree. No magic.
However this information just shows me how great our creator is. It does not prove to me that we do not need God.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102737 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Great sarcastic answer with no value. Do you have a real answer that science with evidence has provided?
Sorry, I am beset by personal limitations.
I understand the emotional attraction and appeal of the "real answers" mystics have proposed over dozens of centuries, but I don't understand the equations that prove they are bogus. Call me silly, but I confess that I have more faith in the likes of Newton, Maxwell and Hubble than I can muster in God's anonymous biographers.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102738 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't mix topics. God works through people quite a bit, but not everything. Creation for example, would not have happened through humans.
God does require faith. Consider the healings that Jesus performed. Like one of the blind men that He healed. He put clay on his eyes and told him to go wash. The guy would have had to have faith to go wash. If he would have thought Jesus was full of it and he didn't go wash, he would have remained blind.
Same with the leper he told to go wash. He thought it was too simple and almost didn't do it.
What did I mix up? The earth exists. I do not see the need for a god to create an earth. You claim he did yet have zero evidence of this fantastic claim.
So the Jesus expects blind faith? Well that has no logic. Can you show the logic, or is this just another time I must forgo logic to believe your tale?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102739 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Your second paragraph makes the first invalid. You made my point for me as I said the exact same thing before.
Science lacks here and that is what I said. Science can't tell us what happens after death. It assumes nothing because the brain stops functioning. We believe the soul leaves the body (including all organs) and enters a spirit world until judgement day. Science lacks here. That doesn't mean I have disdain for all science.
Well it has no logic that thoughts are in these spirits because their is no brain.
Now if you can show a logical way thoughts could exist outside the brain, you might have an actual basis to demand belief.
But as always, religion demands blind faith because it cannot actually show anything concrete.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#102740 May 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text> Funny the people who study this stuff (scientists) typically see no need of a god for gravity to coalesce objects together in such orbits.
The Milky Way galaxy has at least one hundred billion solar systems with planets orbiting suns. The universe has at least one hundred billion galaxies.
There needs to be no magic involved.
strange but so many physicists seem to be drawn to buddhism and hinduism philosophy.

i never felt the music
like i felt it with you

http://www.quantrek.com/philosophy/philosophy...

but you ain't never played the bass

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102741 May 7, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on what I have observrd and read ,material things only lead to a temporary happiness,as the more they have ,the more they want,not happy with what they have,they want more
Why that happens,I am not sure.They may be looking to impress others with their material wealth,they may envy others who may posses better or bigger material things than the do"keeping up with the Joneses"
In many cases,in order to achieve their material goals,they recklessly permit their human nature to guide them.
They devise schemes,lie,cheat,connive and make unsound decisions
in order to achieve their goals.
One can read about that in the newspapers every day.
Those who looked for happiness by winning the lottery,suddenly find themselves in very unhappy situations.
Those who buy houses they can not afford,those who device schemes in order
to build on the fortunes they already posses"Bernie Madoff' is one of many examples and in the procecss they destroy their lives and that of many others.
My neighbor owns an HD.Recently their was a Motorcycle Show held in Daytona.
He went and bought another motorcycle in order to attend this show.
Paid over $30,000 for it...He was very happy with his purchase.
A week later, when he came back from the show,he was complaining.
He'd seen some other motorcycles at the show that were much more appealing to him
As he said,"Boy,am I sorry I didn't buy one of those instead....
So much for material happiness and the wreckage it often leaves behind
I really do not think atheists are materialistic anymore than the average Christian. Some are and some are not.
I do not need many material goods to be happy. I do like some and do need some, but feel I am below average on the material 'got to have it' mentality.
I have many things in life I live for other than material things but a god is just not one of them.

I have family, friends and society in general to live for and with. Life is so full of great things, I do not even do mind altering substances to enjoy them. Of course many Christians and atheists do.

You are simply assuming all non believers are the materialist and hedonistic heathens the preachers claim we are. This is nonsense.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102742 May 7, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I am beset by personal limitations.
I understand the emotional attraction and appeal of the "real answers" mystics have proposed over dozens of centuries, but I don't understand the equations that prove they are bogus. Call me silly, but I confess that I have more faith in the likes of Newton, Maxwell and Hubble than I can muster in God's anonymous biographers.
But yet you can't say how it all got started without Him.
A Mom

United States

#102743 May 7, 2013
If they are going to teach kids about evolution they should also teach the Bible!
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#102744 May 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well it has no logic that thoughts are in these spirits because their is no brain.
Now if you can show a logical way thoughts could exist outside the brain, you might have an actual basis to demand belief.
But as always, religion demands blind faith because it cannot actually show anything concrete.
All things are animate and have at least some level of awareness and/or consciousness nothing is inanimate.

http://www.quantrek.com/philosophy/philosophy...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102745 May 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>What did I mix up? The earth exists. I do not see the need for a god to create an earth. You claim he did yet have zero evidence of this fantastic claim.
So the Jesus expects blind faith? Well that has no logic. Can you show the logic, or is this just another time I must forgo logic to believe your tale?
I have already answered in detail what the purpose of faith is, and why there is no proof of God. We all agree that you do not have it, and I do.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102746 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. No magic.
However this information just shows me how great our creator is. It does not prove to me that we do not need God.
And you have shown no need of a god. You have shown no god.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#102747 May 7, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I am beset by personal limitations.
I understand the emotional attraction and appeal of the "real answers" mystics have proposed over dozens of centuries, but I don't understand the equations that prove they are bogus. Call me silly, but I confess that I have more faith in the likes of Newton, Maxwell and Hubble than I can muster in God's anonymous biographers.
QH theory is a promising new start in this general direction. Its ramifications and implications are profound. For instance, because of the QH model, science can no longer ignore subjectivity, metaphysics, parapsychology, or issues previously relegated to religion or mysticism. Nor can science any longer ignore the presence or importance of consciousness or thought in its relationship to physical matter. It must consider the strong possibility that the natural and the supernatural are one and the same thing, which renders the dualistic worldview of Newton and Descartes completely obsolete.

http://www.quantrek.com/quantum_hologram/quan...
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102748 May 7, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
How is your spiritual journey different than that of Cassius Clay's, Lew Alcindor's or Cat Stevens'? You have not yet found the "something" they did, so why have you stopped looking? Are you not as diligent and persistent as them?
Regarding a previous post, no one should reasonably strive for perfection or expect it - that is a path to madness. Instead, awareness and improvement are the watchwords.
I do not know how my spiritual journey is different from that of Cassius Clay,Cat Stephens or Lew Alcindor.
I can not speak about their experiences,I can only speak about my personal experiences.
I stopped looking for an answer because I believe I found the answer,tested it,at no time has it failed me,
"If ye abide in me,and my words abide in you,ye shall ask what you will,and it will be done unto you

If you keep my commandments,you will abide in my love ,even as I have kept my fathers commandments and abide in his love.
Well,sometimes we might be aware of our faults,but unable or unwilling,to do anything about them....

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102749 May 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well it has no logic that thoughts are in these spirits because their is no brain.
Now if you can show a logical way thoughts could exist outside the brain, you might have an actual basis to demand belief.
But as always, religion demands blind faith because it cannot actually show anything concrete.
I don't demand belief. That's your choice.

I believe we existed before we came here as spirits. I believe that spirit is temporarily housed in this body here on earth. It will be separated from the body at death, and reunited at judgment day. Since I believe that we all decided to come here, I believe we were able to think before coming to earth, so logically I believe that our spirit is really who we are, and the body is a perishable housing for the spirit.

This is why you still feel the same even though you are older. The mind is willing but the flesh is weak. This will make sense to anyone who has played a pickup game of basketball over the age of 40.

You have attempted to debunk my beliefs for some time now by saying there is no evidence or logic to support them, even though I have explained why I believe there will be no physical proof because it is one of the reasons I believe we are on earth.
But I still haven't received an answer from you that proves how God was not needed to start the chain of events that produced our current state. Did you try the air hockey experiment I spoke of?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102750 May 7, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.
ARe you saying that,how the bucket is used,is determined by who is using it and not by ythe bucket?
Or ,are you saying something else
I wanna make sure I understood you correctly?
Is there a way to misunderstand? Neither science nor religion by itself makes a moral decision, any more than a bucket of water, an AK-47 or a vial of antibiotics makes that decision. Is science to be blamed or applauded for making both missiles and MRI's possible? Neither. It was the actions of 18th century Americans who that decided whether to use religion to justify slavery or to condemn it. Is religion to be accused or praised for those behaviors? Both. No matter what subject is in a book, the point of morality is what society does with it.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102751 May 7, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>
QH theory is a promising new start in this general direction. Its ramifications and implications are profound. For instance, because of the QH model, science can no longer ignore subjectivity, metaphysics, parapsychology, or issues previously relegated to religion or mysticism. Nor can science any longer ignore the presence or importance of consciousness or thought in its relationship to physical matter. It must consider the strong possibility that the natural and the supernatural are one and the same thing, which renders the dualistic worldview of Newton and Descartes completely obsolete.
http://www.quantrek.com/quantum_hologram/quan...
Uhmm No. http://www.skepdic.com/quantumhologram.html

What are you selling next? A great new book from Deepak Chopra? Maybe a Carlos Castaneda tour ride?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102752 May 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And you have shown no need of a god. You have shown no god.
To me that makes as much sense as:

People don't need parents. I've seen hundreds of children that grow up with absolutely no parents in the picture. So logic says: since children don't need parents, they do not exist.
I have no proof that I came from any parents. I have pictures of me as a baby with some older people, but someone just made that up to try to explain how I got here. If you were to take those old people completely out of this picture, I would still exist, so parents are useless and fabricated.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102753 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
But yet you can't say how it all got started without Him.
A double negative? You can't show that there IS a "Him," therefore I can't show how it was started without a "Him?" It feels less like a stalemate than one of us is playing checkers and the other is playing chess.
Physics and logic do not always seem to happily co-exist, yet you would like to presume that "before" space and time, God was "there."

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102754 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I still don't think any of these orbits happened by chance. Have you ever tried sliding magnets around on an air hockey table and try to get them just so far apart that one orbits the other but doesn't eventually move away from each other or snap together? Give it a shot.
I don't doubt that the moon could be drifting away. Makes me wonder what will happen to earth one day when it releases and floats off. But how do we accurately measure inches on something so far away?
I really doubt man will be around when the moon gets to far away, but who knows? Maybe lookup some projections.
You know how the moon came to be? It is fascinating science. That perfect orbit to claim we have caused a moon sized object to collide with earth. The debris from this collision molded together by gravity to form our moon.
Gravity can do a lot.

I think they measure it with lasers reflecting on mirrors the astronauts put on the moon.

The moon was once in a very close orbit from us. The moon would have looked huge in those days.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 19 min Fact 1,339
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 30 min Le Jimbo 151,160
Johnnie Mcgegor at csc 45 min Brenda 10
Roger Vanover trying to buy perscription medici... (May '12) 45 min Girl 40
Kevin Disney Central Elementary School 1 hr Parent 3
New club in Barbourville? 3 hr Tyler 45
joann gregory 3 hr grimes 3
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••