Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,075

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“There's more than one religion”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#102719 May 7, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
It's pretty obvious you have never watched small children at play.
A young child has no conscience... evidenced by "MY toy!," I"M hungry!,"
"I want!"
Consideration for others, sharing and empathy are TAUGHT.
Amen!

And one doesn't need religion to teach one right from wrong. If one doesn't know right from wrong, one lacks empathy - not religion.

And if one needs offer of a celestial prize in order to be good, they are selfish and will never truly be selfless.

If they need threat of eternal damnation, they are just as self-serving - as their "good acts" are only to keep their tail from the fire and not out of a true spirit of empathy.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102720 May 7, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
That has nothing to do with the topic at hand, does it. Thus, it is a red herring. I am a skeptic in all things, that is all that is important in the matter.
I didn't say it was on topic. I was just curious.
You have a different way of seeing the world. I wanted to know how it applies to other things, that's all.

Location hidden

#102721 May 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you care so much about how we would react if we died and found actual evidence a god or afterlife was real? How would you react if you died and found out Jesus was not a deity but Mohammed was? Would it matter either way? If no one has evidence then no one should be expected to know or believe. Yet you and all religions claim we must. This leads me to think you and all religions are wrong.
I thrust logic.
It's just an interesting thought, as is the one you pose.

Location hidden

#102722 May 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So gods test is to see what persons believe in stuff that has no evidence of reality? So maybe I should believe in unicorns?
Sorry but I trust logic over commands such as this. It is just a propaganda tactic to trick people into belief systems.
If you think unicorns can offer you anything beyond this life, or had anything to do with creating you and all that you see, go for it.
But I really think you are making a bad correlation because the only thing that unicorns and God have in common is that you don't believe in either. Almost 100% of every person that has walked this earth has wondered if there was a creator. I doubt you could say much of the population has wondered if there were really unicorns.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#102723 May 7, 2013
If you want to learn science, math or literature, read a text book. If you want to learn morality, read the bible.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102724 May 7, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys keep moving the goal post and missing the point.... The Original question was about being happy and did science have anything to do with it... it was not about stuff making one happy... A Harley does not make me happy.. but riding around checking out the country side and enjoying the day with the wind in whats left of my hair indeed makes me happy, feels me with joy... There are Lots of stuff that makes me happy and fills me with joy... And I get to Enjoy them due to Science.... Happiness is a Choice... And you guys that want to sit around and thank some invisible guy in the sky for your happiness are being Intellectually Dishonest because in order for you to be happy sitting and having the time to be happy is because long ago Science came along and over time has allowed you the ability to sit around and naval gaze.... Without Science you would be spending your every waking hour digging roots and tubers to feed yourself or hiding from stuff that would end your short 40 years long life.... At night your dung covered hut would be your hidey hole from others and wild things that would love to snack on you pieces parts.... Could you still find a few fleeting moments to be happy and joyful, of course you could... But only if you had not known what science could provide in the first place.... But the Question was asked of Me Now... And I'm intellectually honest enough to know that if Science were gone tomorrow Happiness and Joy would be the last thing on my mind... I would be spending my time trying to Repeat Science so I could make the things I could to help feed me and my family and defend us from the roving gangs of B'Levers that would be trying to take my crap....
As you have stated,Science has provided us with things that we can enjoy and to improve our quality of life.
Science has also provided us with things that can quickly change our quality of life into a horrible experience
Guns,weapons of mass destruction,misuse of those things that are meant to give us pleasure, drug abuse etc.etc.,
So,in the natural world,where science is intended to operate,it has created both good and bad things.
And those things that Science has created, we use and acquire them, based on our human nature.
In many cases we "countries ,groups and Individuals',acquire and use these inventions,not only to our detriment,but to the defriment of others.
Their motives for acquiring and using these inventions in a reckless manner, are often based on selfishness,greed,hatred,arrog ance,lack of compassion and other defects that are part of our human nature.
What Scientific Experiments and human knowledge are unable to do,is, create within us,a desire to use those inventions in a manner that is not only,detrimental to ourselves,but also to others

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102725 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So when did "space time" begin, and how?
About 13.77 billion years before God/Jehovah/Yahweh/Yhwh/Allah/ Vishnu/Mbombo/Elohim/et al. were invented. By non-theistic events.
so true

Franklin, KY

#102726 May 7, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>No!
It is born in him/her... it's called a conscience!
Knowing right from wrong, and not caring... that's from the fall!
All lil sinners NEEDING redemption!
Like a backup warning. sometimes the bulb gets shot and we dont hear or see it ... Good Day to you all

“See how you are?”

Earth

#102727 May 7, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
As you have stated,Science has provided us with things that we can enjoy and to improve our quality of life.
Science has also provided us with things that can quickly change our quality of life into a horrible experience
Guns,weapons of mass destruction,misuse of those things that are meant to give us pleasure, drug abuse etc.etc.,
So,in the natural world,where science is intended to operate,it has created both good and bad things.
And those things that Science has created, we use and acquire them, based on our human nature.
In many cases we "countries ,groups and Individuals',acquire and use these inventions,not only to our detriment,but to the defriment of others.
Their motives for acquiring and using these inventions in a reckless manner, are often based on selfishness,greed,hatred,arrog ance,lack of compassion and other defects that are part of our human nature.
What Scientific Experiments and human knowledge are unable to do,is, create within us,a desire to use those inventions in a manner that is not only,detrimental to ourselves,but also to others
Science and religion are both amoral. A bucket of water can be the source of safety, danger, levity or malice... it can as easily save someone's life or kill them. It isn't the thing that decides its usage.

Location hidden

#102728 May 7, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>About 13.77 billion years before God/Jehovah/Yahweh/Yhwh/Allah/ Vishnu/Mbombo/Elohim/et al. were invented. By non-theistic events.
Great sarcastic answer with no value. Do you have a real answer that science with evidence has provided?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102729 May 7, 2013
Apple At Cha wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen!
And one doesn't need religion to teach one right from wrong. If one doesn't know right from wrong, one lacks empathy - not religion.
And if one needs offer of a celestial prize in order to be good, they are selfish and will never truly be selfless.
If they need threat of eternal damnation, they are just as self-serving - as their "good acts" are only to keep their tail from the fire and not out of a true spirit of empathy.
1) And one doesn't need religion to teach one right from wrong. If one doesn't know right from wrong, one lacks empathy - not religion.

I believe you are missing the mark,it is not a question of knowing right from wrong.
The question is,when we are about to commit a wrongful act, and, we know it is wrong,why do we go ahead and commit it anyway?
When we steal,we know it is wrong,yet we do it anyway
When we lie,we know it is wrong,we do it anyway
And the list goes on....
That is because our human nature is flawed. So we know right from wrong,but,are unable to do that which is right.
If we were able ,on our own,to correct the many flaws we have,we would do so.

2) And if one needs offer of a celestial prize in order to be good, they are selfish and will never truly be selfless.

Your allegation is false,based on your misunderstanding of Scripture. You do not attain heaven by being good....If you have read there bible,then you would know that what you are alleging is false.
Most assuredly it is not based on the Teachings Of Christ,which is what we base our beliefs on.

If they need threat of eternal damnation, they are just as self-serving - as their "good acts" are only to keep their tail from the fire and not out of a true spirit of empathy

All that you have stated,is based on your opinion,which is based on your misinterpretation of that which is written is the Scriptures.
Therefore,since the foundation of your conclusions is false,that same can be said of your conclusions
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#102730 May 7, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
About 13.77 billion years before God/Jehovah/Yahweh/Yhwh/Allah/ Vishnu/Mbombo/Elohim/et al. were invented. By non-theistic events.
space/time continuum didn't begin. doesn't have an end.

einstein told you this.

I AM borg

“See how you are?”

Earth

#102731 May 7, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My God has already revealed himself to me,by my following his instructions and has proven to me that I can believe in him and trust him,,,,,Whw would I waste my time searching for something I have already found?Seems to me, that would be illogical.
On the other hand,if I kept searching for somthing I thought I would not be able to find,in the hope that I would find it,that,to me,is not illogical,that is being persistent...
Be persistent in prayer SEEK and you will find....
How is your spiritual journey different than that of Cassius Clay's, Lew Alcindor's or Cat Stevens'? You have not yet found the "something" they did, so why have you stopped looking? Are you not as diligent and persistent as them?

Regarding a previous post, no one should reasonably strive for perfection or expect it - that is a path to madness. Instead, awareness and improvement are the watchwords.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102732 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No I don't dispute gravity. I just do not believe that these planets orbit the sun by chance. As these clumps of matter join together, mix (or attract) with gases and particles around them, then one forms into a massive ball of intense fire, while the others have a semblance of this intense fire deep in its core, and they begin an orbit around the first one that "perfectly" remains a very consistent path for billions of years. And one has conditions that allow life forms to slowly develop and become intelligent (cognizant of its surroundings), and eventually evolve into the complexities of all the different life forms we see today.
I realize I am badly paraphrasing this, but I'm typing in a hurry and trying to catch up. But this seems extremely doubtful that these things could happen without divine guidance.
Funny the people who study this stuff (scientists) typically see no need of a god for gravity to coalesce objects together in such orbits.
The Milky Way galaxy has at least one hundred billion solar systems with planets orbiting suns. The universe has at least one hundred billion galaxies.
There needs to be no magic involved.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102733 May 7, 2013
so dumb wrote:
<quoted text>cause it aint in there idiot!!!!!
It is not in the bible either.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102734 May 7, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Science and religion are both amoral. A bucket of water can be the source of safety, danger, levity or malice... it can as easily save someone's life or kill them. It isn't the thing that decides its usage.
I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make.
ARe you saying that,how the bucket is used,is determined by who is using it and not by ythe bucket?
Or ,are you saying something else
I wanna make sure I understood you correctly?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102735 May 7, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My God has already revealed himself to me,by my following his instructions and has proven to me that I can believe in him and trust him,,,,,Whw would I waste my time searching for something I have already found?Seems to me, that would be illogical.
On the other hand,if I kept searching for somthing I thought I would not be able to find,in the hope that I would find it,that,to me,is not illogical,that is being persistent...
Be persistent in prayer SEEK and you will find....
I would think this answer could apply to any god or deity ever invented. This is why jews, hindu's and Muslims do not look for a Christ.

This is why it makes no sense to me that your Christ demands to be believed in. Thus I conclude your Christ is more likely a myth.

I cannot accept a Christ is that unreasonable.

I trust logic.

Location hidden

#102736 May 7, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Funny the people who study this stuff (scientists) typically see no need of a god for gravity to coalesce objects together in such orbits.
The Milky Way galaxy has at least one hundred billion solar systems with planets orbiting suns. The universe has at least one hundred billion galaxies.
There needs to be no magic involved.
I agree. No magic.
However this information just shows me how great our creator is. It does not prove to me that we do not need God.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#102737 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Great sarcastic answer with no value. Do you have a real answer that science with evidence has provided?
Sorry, I am beset by personal limitations.
I understand the emotional attraction and appeal of the "real answers" mystics have proposed over dozens of centuries, but I don't understand the equations that prove they are bogus. Call me silly, but I confess that I have more faith in the likes of Newton, Maxwell and Hubble than I can muster in God's anonymous biographers.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102738 May 7, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't mix topics. God works through people quite a bit, but not everything. Creation for example, would not have happened through humans.
God does require faith. Consider the healings that Jesus performed. Like one of the blind men that He healed. He put clay on his eyes and told him to go wash. The guy would have had to have faith to go wash. If he would have thought Jesus was full of it and he didn't go wash, he would have remained blind.
Same with the leper he told to go wash. He thought it was too simple and almost didn't do it.
What did I mix up? The earth exists. I do not see the need for a god to create an earth. You claim he did yet have zero evidence of this fantastic claim.
So the Jesus expects blind faith? Well that has no logic. Can you show the logic, or is this just another time I must forgo logic to believe your tale?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 11 min No Surprize 154,097
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 20 min Ernst 5,672
big dog pawn 1 hr Funny 10
What happened at Stinking Creek? 1 hr know 95
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 1 hr dannylee 3,541
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr BIG_STEVIE 26,284
how is moms cooking ? 1 hr ARSH 5
The parent who flipped off and threatened every... 6 hr Ref 10
Knox parent out of control goes after student a... 7 hr Love it 21
Knox parent goes off at Bell and Knox football ... 15 hr record 10
kC principal injured 20 hr Sarah J 7
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••